BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

09-11-2020, 09:51 AM   #199
Wgosma
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 F25 X3 28i (N52)

Quote:
Originally Posted by EndOfAnEra View Post
Looks like I'll be doing a water pump and thermostat DIY this weekend
How many miles on that failed pump?
Thanks/Bill
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2020, 09:09 PM   #200
EndOfAnEra
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: AW X3 35i Msport + S2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wgosma View Post
How many miles on that failed pump?
Thanks/Bill
85k miles
      04-11-2021, 01:31 AM   #201
markcbr
Registered
Rep
Drives: X3

Good thread. I found this after my wife had the same symptoms - overheating notification and power loss. I got quotes from 2 BMW dealerships to replace water pump and thermostat - $2900 and 2000. I had and indie shop quote $700 for parts and 5 hrs labor.

Found this thread, saw the procedure and decided to go for it. Ordered the parts for $4xx. Install was a not bad but the hoses like most people stated were difficult to remove. One thing that helped was going behind the front axel. I didn't realize I had access from that area but it really helped. The hose clips were new to me. Had to search how to remove them. Took my time and I finished in about 6 hrs.

2014 X3 xDrive35i with 60k miles.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2023, 07:53 AM   #202
ComingInHot
Newish
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMWs

2013 X3 35i 51k miles just had this happen as well. Water pump and thermostat changed at dealer $1800. Not bad for the first repair needed in 11 years of ownership.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2023, 09:55 AM   #203
heticor
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW X3

Video How to

here a good video to follow

Appreciate 0
      02-06-2024, 06:24 AM   #204
Weslsew
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: F25 X3 35i

I just replaced the thermostat only in my F25 N55 after putting it off for months because of all the horror stories I read on here. I had the water pump replaced under the extended warranty at 83k miles but they wouldn't do the thermostat because it was still working. 10k miles later and after the warranty was up, the thermostat failed, stuck open.

I just wanted to post and say that doing the thermostat only is not that bad at all and took me about an hour and a half.

There are 4 hoses on the thermostat - two quick connect on the front and two traditional/worm gear hoses on the top and rear. I only removed the fan and the intake pipe on the passenger side of the engine. (Not even sure the intake pipe needed to come off, but it let me see much better what I was working with). The small quick connect hose came off easily, as did the rear large hose. The front quick connect was stuck on, and I couldn't really get to the small hose on the top. So, I just removed the other end of the large quick connect hose from the radiator and removed the thermostat with both the large quick connect and the small traditional hose still attached. There's just enough room between the water pump and the turbo/IC pipe to squeeze it out the front. Once I had it out it was easy to remove the two hoses and swap the top hose over to the new thermostat. I struggled for about 20 minutes trying to get the small quick connect hose onto the new thermostat - I just couldn't get it lined up and pushed all the way on. I was thinking that the coolant everywhere was enough lubrication, but when I finally put some oil on the hose and thermostat fitting, it popped right on effortlessly. Had I oiled it up to start, this job would have only taken about an hour. I used oil on the large quick connect as well and that one popped on the new thermostat with ease, so that's my biggest tip.
Appreciate 0