BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

12-04-2021, 10:46 AM   #67
tiggerii
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X3 M Sport 30e

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jen4BMW View Post
Does anyone actually use the LIM “Speed Limiter” button on the steering wheel?
Here in the UK the LIM button is invaluable - we have miles of Motorway roadworks with Average Speed Checks usually 50mph rather than the normal 70mph limit and also miles of Motorways with Variable Speed limits from 70mph downwards that have Speed Camera's on Gantries.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2021, 10:47 AM   #68
jsh139
How YOU Doin?
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X3 M40i

Garage List
2022 BMW X3 M40i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobBMWX3 View Post
A couple of questions that I dont know where to find the answer to or even how to look it up. I have a MY2022 X3 M40i.

1 - Referred to LCI, over the MY21)...what does that mean?
2 - Referred to G01...what does that mean?
3 - If I recall correctly, the engine is B58...what does that mean and how do I tell?
LCI stands for “Life Cycle Impulse”. Basically a freshening that BMW does to a model in the middle of its generation. For the X3/X4, this occurred with the 2022 model year.

G01 is BMW’s chassis designation. Each model has a chassis designation for that generation. G01 is the 2018-present X3. https://www.turnermotorsport.com/t-BMW-Chassis-Codes

B58 is the code name for BMW’s 3.0 liter inline six engine. Used in a variety of models (and the new Toyota Supra). https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BMW_B58?wprov=sfti1
      12-04-2021, 10:53 AM   #69
jsh139
How YOU Doin?
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I tried it once and didn’t really understand what it did and the manual confused me. I’ve also noticed that if I’m using the cruise control and set a speed (65 mph, for example) that it will stick to that speed. But, if I cancel and then use the “resume” button, it will then change my speed to whatever the speed limit is. So, instead of 65, it may set it to 55. And it does this on every subsequent set or resume. So, the first time I set the speed it will set it to whatever speed I’m traveling, but any subsequent sets or resumes it doesn’t care what speed I’m traveling. It just sets it to the current speed limit.

This seems weird because that’s what I thought the LIM button was for. I don’t use cruise control all that often. Maybe it’s just how it’s supposed to work. I don’t have the adaptive CC.
      12-04-2021, 11:44 AM   #70
sunay27
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFonAir View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunay27 View Post
Remote actions(climate control, lock, unlock) from MyBMW app depends on what? Carrier's network or the internet speed or any other parameters?
Also the BMW servers.
I have noticed that the command is not sent to my car when I try it from home, but other places it does. So I am guessing it has to do with my mobile carrier because the network is slow at my home.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2021, 11:47 AM   #71
sunay27
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsh139 View Post
Quote:
I tried it once and didn’t really understand what it did and the manual confused me. I’ve also noticed that if I’m using the cruise control and set a speed (65 mph, for example) that it will stick to that speed. But, if I cancel and then use the “resume” button, it will then change my speed to whatever the speed limit is. So, instead of 65, it may set it to 55. And it does this on every subsequent set or resume. So, the first time I set the speed it will set it to whatever speed I’m traveling, but any subsequent sets or resumes it doesn’t care what speed I’m traveling. It just sets it to the current speed limit.

This seems weird because that’s what I thought the LIM button was for. I don’t use cruise control all that often. Maybe it’s just how it’s supposed to work. I don’t have the adaptive CC.
You can use it without cruise control too, it will limit the max speed of the car no matter how much throttle input you give.
Appreciate 1
jsh1391698.00
      12-04-2021, 12:27 PM   #72
duegatti
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 Boxster S; '22 X3 m40i

Quote:

There is a way to turn off that "maximum speed set point for the cruise control=the speed limit" - it is optional. I'd need to be in the car going through the menu's, but it wasn't hard to find. The name of the setting is a little vague relative to its impact on your cruise control functions. If you take a look and can't find it, I'll try to re-discover it and let you know.
Namakan21.00
Jen4BMW773.00
509er589.50
      12-04-2021, 12:37 PM   #73
CurryPuff
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: None

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiggerii View Post
Here in the UK the LIM button is invaluable - we have miles of Motorway roadworks with Average Speed Checks usually 50mph rather than the normal 70mph limit and also miles of Motorways with Variable Speed limits from 70mph downwards that have Speed Camera's on Gantries.
This ^^. We don't have police usually do much of sped checks. It's either unmarked speed cars vans or the tons of average speed cameras on the motorways. I used it a fair bit when I lived in London, haven't looked at it since moving to California!
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2021, 02:05 PM   #74
jsh139
How YOU Doin?
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
You can use it without cruise control too, it will limit the max speed of the car no matter how much throttle input you give.
Oh, interesting. So it’s kind of like setting a “valet mode” on yourself. Basically sets an electronic speed limit. I thought it was related to cruise control since it’s in the same location as the CC settings.
      12-04-2021, 02:06 PM   #75
jsh139
How YOU Doin?
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by duegatti View Post
There is a way to turn off that "maximum speed set point for the cruise control=the speed limit" - it is optional. I'd need to be in the car going through the menu's, but it wasn't hard to find. The name of the setting is a little vague relative to its impact on your cruise control functions. If you take a look and can't find it, I'll try to re-discover it and let you know.
Sweet. I’ll have to find and change it because it’s kind of annoying. Thanks!
      12-04-2021, 02:12 PM   #76
sunay27
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Oh, interesting. So it’s kind of like setting a “valet mode” on yourself. Basically sets an electronic speed limit. I thought it was related to cruise control since it’s in the same location as the CC settings.
Yeah even I thought initially it is only related to CC, but tried out today and even if I floor the throttle it did not cross the speed set. So a interesting feature definitely😃
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2021, 03:26 PM   #77
duegatti
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 Boxster S; '22 X3 m40i

Quote:
Sweet. I’ll have to find and change it because it’s kind of annoying. Thanks!
I think I've got it - if I've understood your original question correctly. When I experienced what you're describing, I do not recall it happening when I executed a "Resume", but I certainly remember it happening when I selected "Set".

Car > Settings > Driver Assistance > Driving > Speed Limit Assistance > Speed Limits >

Adjust Manually
Show Current Limit
Off

This controls appearance and function of the little speed limit signs that show up in the HUD, and in the bottom left of center of the gage panel. "Off" is off; "Show Current Limit" presents the speed limit sign with no apparent function or utility; "Adjust Manually" presents the signs, and an additional "Set" next to the bottom sign in the gage panel.

This latter selection gave me the tie between the Set button in cruise control and the posted speed limits. When I opt for "Show Current Limit", I get just the speed limit signs, and the additional "Set" goes away, and my cruise accepts whatever road speed I press the cruise control Set button at.

I hope this addresses just what you're asking about. As I said, I simply don't recall this behavior with the "Recall" button one way or the other, because I was most unhappy with the Set button behavior and expunged it as quickly as I could. Let us know if this does it for you.
      12-04-2021, 04:48 PM   #78
jsh139
How YOU Doin?
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by duegatti View Post
I think I've got it - if I've understood your original question correctly. When I experienced what you're describing, I do not recall it happening when I executed a "Resume", but I certainly remember it happening when I selected "Set".

Car > Settings > Driver Assistance > Driving > Speed Limit Assistance > Speed Limits >

Adjust Manually
Show Current Limit
Off

This controls appearance and function of the little speed limit signs that show up in the HUD, and in the bottom left of center of the gage panel. "Off" is off; "Show Current Limit" presents the speed limit sign with no apparent function or utility; "Adjust Manually" presents the signs, and an additional "Set" next to the bottom sign in the gage panel.

This latter selection gave me the tie between the Set button in cruise control and the posted speed limits. When I opt for "Show Current Limit", I get just the speed limit signs, and the additional "Set" goes away, and my cruise accepts whatever road speed I press the cruise control Set button at.

I hope this addresses just what you're asking about. As I said, I simply don't recall this behavior with the "Recall" button one way or the other, because I was most unhappy with the Set button behavior and expunged it as quickly as I could. Let us know if this does it for you.
I found it. Yep, mine was set to “Adjust Manually”, too. I changed it. It also seems to affect the LIM function, too. I might be misremembering if it occurred when executing the resume function. But it definitely was happening when I hit set. Thanks!

Quote:
Yeah even I thought initially it is only related to CC, but tried out today and even if I floor the throttle it did not cross the speed set. So a interesting feature definitely��
I tried it too. Yep, works as you describe. Except, if you hit the kickdown button under the accelerator it will allow you to exceed the limit.
      12-04-2021, 05:42 PM   #79
sunay27
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:

I tried it too. Yep, works as you describe. Except, if you hit the kickdown button under the accelerator it will allow you to exceed the limit.
What exactly you mean by kickdown button under the accelerator?
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2021, 06:33 PM   #80
VBdiver
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 Xdrive, 1999 Tacoma4x4

anyones iPhone music (pandora) via bluetooth randomly just not work when you start the car and drive away ? fn annoying.... lol. luckily not very often nonetheless
If I tap the phone screen for Pandora app " BMW/Pandora " screen blocks any Pandora functions .
The only fix I have found is to click on the Apple Music app and once that syncs with bluetooth and plays from my music library in can tap the Pandora app to override that selection .
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2021, 07:45 PM   #81
Cabman
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3 M40i

Garage List
2022 X3 M40i  [0.00]
I am fairly sure that all newer BMWs have a dedicated phone number. I looked up where to find that information. You can see it in the My Garage/My Vehicles/Vehicle Profile. My Wife's 2020 X1 has a number.

My 2022 X3 M40i does not have a phone number or at least I cannot find it. Would someone with a 2022 be kind enough to verify if they can see their number. Or is there another location where I can find it.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2021, 08:21 AM   #82
Peternb
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Disco Sport

Remote start

I'm sure this has been asked before, so apologies in advance! I have a 2022 LCI X3 on order (I am based in the UK), does remote start come as standard on the X3. If so is it only operated via the key fob or can it also be operated via the MyBMW app? Thank you
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2021, 09:18 AM   #83
jsh139
How YOU Doin?
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
When you push the gas pedal all the way down, there is a resistance there. When you push past that resistance it forces the transmission to downshift into the lowest gear for instant acceleration. I’ve always heard it referred to as the “kickdown button” or kickdown switch.

12-05-2021, 09:23 AM   #84
jsh139
How YOU Doin?
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peternb View Post
I'm sure this has been asked before, so apologies in advance! I have a 2022 LCI X3 on order (I am based in the UK), does remote start come as standard on the X3. If so is it only operated via the key fob or can it also be operated via the MyBMW app? Thank you
I assume it is the same in the UK as the US, but remote start is not standard on 2022 models. It is an extra charge that can be purchased at the time you order or after you take delivery. And, it can be operated by both the app and the key fob.
      12-05-2021, 10:52 AM   #85
sunay27
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
When you push the gas pedal all the way down, there is a resistance there. When you push past that resistance it forces the transmission to downshift into the lowest gear for instant acceleration. I've always heard it referred to as the "kickdown button" or kickdown switch.

Okay now I know what you mean. Yes it does allow but I felt there is too much resistance and you feel as if the engine & transmission is struggling a lot to get going.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2021, 12:07 PM   #86
BobBMWX3
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i 22

Quote:
It’s only on the idrive screen. My phone is in my pocket and is in dark mode. From reading a little online it seems that CarPlay uses the state of the car’s headlights to determine whether or not to switch to dark mode on the car’s display. Makes me wonder more if it’s a BMW->Apple issue. And it’s definitely intermittent. Sometimes it works. But I noticed tonight that it’s all apps, not just Waze that haven’t switched. Very odd.
Last night was my first chance to test Carplay and the Dark mode. At night, the Dark Mode came on and worked fine. So, during the day, lights on from garage, Carplay was in Light mode. At night, it was in Dark mode.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2021, 12:11 PM   #87
jsh139
How YOU Doin?
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobBMWX3 View Post
Last night was my first chance to test Carplay and the Dark mode. At night, the Dark Mode came on and worked fine. So, during the day, lights on from garage, Carplay was in Light mode. At night, it was in Dark mode.
Yeah, it’s been intermittent for me. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn’t. I did notice though a couple days ago when I launched the Waze app on my phone it asked me if I wanted to set up dark mode. I’m wondering if there was an issue that was just recently fixed. I haven’t had a chance to drive at night to test it out again.
      12-06-2021, 09:30 AM   #88
rob175
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 xiDrive30

Stupid question:
(2020 X3 x30i)

There is a little unmarked black button on the far right side of the seven preset buttons directly above the "earth globe" icon button.

Does anyone know what this little unmarked button is for? I can't find it in the manual and I'm hesitant to press it for fear that it could erase or re-set something.

OR..........could it be a button for a CD player? (Even though my car does NOT have a CD player)

Thanks

Last edited by rob175; 12-06-2021 at 10:36 AM..
Appreciate 0