BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

02-23-2020, 08:10 AM   #1
justanotherx3
Private
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 30i

Aftermarket stereo: extra sound deadening worth it?

Hey all,

I'm getting an aftermarket stereo installed in my 2019 X3 30i this week (something I've done in every car I've owned since I was 16; mostly installing myself but getting professionals this time around). I've got the following lined up to be installed this week:

- Morel Hybrid 402 components for front
- Stock speakers for rear fill
- 2x Morel 265 8" for under seat (or leave stock... debating)
- Helix 8-Channel Amp + Helix DSP
- 2x JL TW5 in fiberglass enclosure in spare tire space
- JL XD1000 for Sub

By default the installer will put down dampening behind all the speakers, as well as the entire trunk with the sub.

I have the option of putting extra dampening material in all of the doors if I want. I feel the X3 is already fairly well insulted from outside sound - has anybody with an aftermarket stereo found it worth the extra money to install sound dampening around the front and rear doors? The wife is already borderline ready to kill me �� with the cost, granted she's the one who wanted the stealth sub install so I wouldn't take up trunk space with giant speakers.

Last edited by justanotherx3; 02-23-2020 at 08:58 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2020, 02:00 AM   #2
pierreye
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F10 & G01

I also feel the door panel are well insulated. Didn't put any dynamat at the door panel. But I do dynamat the underseat sub plastic box and steel panel below sub box. The underseat sub replacement is worth changing as the stock doesn't integrate nicely with trunk sub as stock sub is only rated 25w RMS, peak 50w.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2020, 02:02 AM   #3
justanotherx3
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierreye View Post
I also feel the door panel are well insulated. I didn't put any dynamat at the door panel. But I do dynamat the underseat sub plastic box and steel panel below sub box.
Thank you! That's exactly what they're doing with mine. And I presume it sounds good enough for you?
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2020, 02:03 AM   #4
justanotherx3
Private
Rep

Quote:
I also feel the door panel are well insulated. Didn't put any dynamat at the door panel. But I do dynamat the underseat sub plastic box and steel panel below sub box. The underseat sub replacement is worth changing as the stock doesn't integrate nicely with trunk sub as stock sub is only rated 25w RMS, peak 50w.
What did you end up changing your underseats to?
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2020, 02:05 AM   #5
pierreye
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by justanotherx3 View Post
Thank you! That's exactly what they're doing with mine. And I presume it sounds good enough for you?
Yep. I don't feel the door vibration issue at all. But I can feel the vibration from the underseat sub when it hit hard and loud.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2020, 02:08 AM   #6
pierreye
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I use GRS B200-2. Only use it to fill in between 70hz to 130hz so personally I feel it is good enough. I wouldn't consider it a high end solution but sufficient for my needs.

https://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showp...6&postcount=51

If you want comparison between stock sub vs GRS, this guy do the installation for his 2 series. Initially he feel the stock sub sound quite good when doing the amp upgrade. But after installing after market sub, it's at another level. Note that his underseat sub is stock HK sub, not cheapo Hifi Sub.

Last edited by pierreye; 02-24-2020 at 02:25 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2020, 02:31 AM   #7
justanotherx3
Private
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I use GRS B200-2. Only use it to fill in between 70hz to 130hz so personally I feel it is good enough. I wouldn't consider it a high end solution but sufficient for my needs.

https://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showp...8;postcount=51

If you want comparison between stock sub vs GRS, this guy do the installation for his 2 series. Initially he feel the stock sub sound quite good when doing the amp upgrade. But after installing after market sub, it's at another level. Note that his underseat sub is stock HK sub, not cheapo Hifi Sub.
That's awesome. Did you cross shop with any other subs? Switch out the fronts too? Mine would be entirely for mid bass, as I'll have some subs in the trunk.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2020, 02:43 AM   #8
pierreye
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
That's awesome. Did you cross shop with any other subs? Switch out the fronts too? Mine would be entirely for mid bass, as I'll have some subs in the trunk.
I do have alpha one underseat sub in my other BMW which also give very good mid bass punch. If I would have guess, Alpha One might be a little bit tighter on the mid bass. But for value wise, can't beat GRS. USD 240 for a pair is quite cheap compare to other brand. Alpha One I'm paying around USD 550 but no choice as I need 7 ohm version cause it is driven by HK amp.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2020, 03:18 AM   #9
Alex C.
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 Bmw X3 xdrive30i

Garage List
Quote:
Hey all,

I'm getting an aftermarket stereo installed in my 2019 X3 30i this week (something I've done in every car I've owned since I was 16; mostly installing myself but getting professionals this time around). I've got the following lined up to be installed this week:

- JL XD1000 for Sub

By default the installer will put down dampening behind all the speakers, as well as the entire trunk with the sub.

I have the option of putting extra dampening material in all of the doors if I want. I feel the X3 is already fairly well insulted from outside sound - has anybody with an aftermarket stereo found it worth the extra money to install sound dampening around the front and rear doors? The wife is already borderline ready to kill me �� with the cost, granted she's the one who wanted the stealth sub install so I wouldn't take up trunk space with giant speakers.
Didnt do any dynamat on my doors or under seat sub enclosures. It didnt need it. Only put three layer of dynamat on the inside of my rear tailgate and a bunch on rear license plate because I have 4 10inch subs in the trunk. Roof does rattle a little but its not worth ripping out headliner to dynamat up there.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2020, 04:46 AM   #10
pierreye
Lieutenant
Rep

Yeah. Now you remind me of the license plate, I need to dynamat it as I can hear the rattle when my wife return home. As for sub enclosure and the bare metal below the sub, I dynamat it as the plastic is quite thin and below is bare metal. I can't tell if it really help as I swap the sub too so all the listening test for vibration is not apple to apple comparision. Just do it for an insurance to reduce cabin vibration since it's not insulated as nice as the door panel.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2020, 06:32 AM   #11
justanotherx3
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex the crazy g01 owner View Post
Quote:
Hey all,

- JL XD1000 for Sub

Didnt do any dynamat on my doors or under seat sub enclosures. It didnt need it. Only put three layer of dynamat on the inside of my rear tailgate and a bunch on rear license plate because I have 4 10inch subs in the trunk. Roof does rattle a little but its not worth ripping out headliner to dynamat up there.
Awesome - roof rattle sounds a little irritating but I imagine it costs a lot more than a door or trunk to cover... I'm looking at $100 in material and labor for each door if I want to do it. I wonder what the roof would cost.

Did you do a sub, or all speakers too?
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2020, 10:23 PM   #12
Alex C.
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Awesome - roof rattle sounds a little irritating but I imagine it costs a lot more than a door or trunk to cover... I'm looking at $100 in material and labor for each door if I want to do it. I wonder what the roof would cost.

Did you do a sub, or all speakers too?
Whoa, honestly it was really easy taking the door panels off ( watch bavsounds youtube videos). You can buy the knock off dynamat on amazon. Its called noico I think and its a shiny aluminum backing. A box would cost $60 and that would be more than enough for all doors. As for the roof its not worth it. I dropped the rear part of my headliner and now it doesnt seat all the way up into the rubber gasket around the tailgate when open. When I did drop it I noticed very thick foam already up there so dynamat would be too much. My roof rattle is mainly from the pano roof so there’s really nothing that can be done about it. Its really not too noticeable especially when my volume is cranked
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2020, 06:25 AM   #13
pierreye
Lieutenant
Rep

I don't have roof rattle issue cause I don't have pano roof!
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2020, 11:10 PM   #14
Alex C.
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I don't have roof rattle issue cause I don't have pano roof!
I kinda wish I didnt have pano roof as I never use it anyway
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2020, 11:53 PM   #15
Scottatah
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 M40i

I’m just here to say I’m jealous if you manage to fit a pair of tw5’s. I wanted to but the most my installers said they could adequately fit was a pair of tw3’s. they’re still pretty awesome granted I’m still fighting with mid bass or possibly just tuning issues in that area.

Note I’m working without a spare tire but rather just the under floor compartment.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2020, 03:48 AM   #16
pierreye
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottatah View Post
I’m just here to say I’m jealous if you manage to fit a pair of tw5’s. I wanted to but the most my installers said they could adequately fit was a pair of tw3’s. they’re still pretty awesome granted I’m still fighting with mid bass or possibly just tuning issues in that area.

Note I’m working without a spare tire but rather just the under floor compartment.
HK Top Hifi or Hifi? If you feel your mid bass is weak most likely it is your underseat sub. I had been reluctant to change my underseat sub as its glue to the enclosure and hope it will blend with the trunk sub. No matter how I try to EQ the underseat sub and try diff crossover point with Match UP 7BMW amp, I can’t get mid bass punch I want. Now I’m happy with the current system and just enjoy the music.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2020, 06:14 AM   #17
justanotherx3
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottatah View Post
I'm just here to say I'm jealous if you manage to fit a pair of tw5's. I wanted to but the most my installers said they could adequately fit was a pair of tw3's. they're still pretty awesome granted I'm still fighting with mid bass or possibly just tuning issues in that area.

Note I'm working without a spare tire but rather just the under floor compartment.
Honestly, I'm not sure how they're going to fit two TW5s in there... they are taking out the actual under compartment I believe. I'll have to ask them what box size they're going with.

I decided to go ahead and replace the under seat subs with Morel 9" drivers - shop just pulled the stock ones out and said they can make it work. Will keep you posted with pics when I get them 🔥
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2020, 06:35 AM   #18
pierreye
Lieutenant
Rep

Cool. If they can mod the bracket to fit in 9” sub, I’m interested to hear your feedback. Might be great choice for those that don’t want a trunk sub.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2020, 11:59 AM   #19
MrBigB
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i / 1991 MR2

Morel components should sound really good! I'm running Morel Mt350 tweeters along with the Audison kit for the front stage and kept stock drivers for rear fill plus an active JL sub in the trunk compartment. The sound is really clean and transparent, also you got enough bass to fill the cabin.
From my experience, you will need the under-seat woofer to play more bass to help blending your trunk sub with the front stage, so using Morel 9" drivers would be a great idea for the case.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2020, 07:21 PM   #20
BobsM3Coupe
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex the crazy g01 owner View Post
I kinda wish I didnt have pano roof as I never use it anyway
I agree. I would have paid extra for BMW to build the X3 without that pano roof. Useless item to me. But then, I've never liked sunroofs anyway.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2020, 07:56 PM   #21
justanotherx3
Private
Rep

They started building the fiber glass for the TW5s; it will be 1.56 ft^3 which is just right for two of them. Pics below (sorry for quality):
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-27-2020, 09:52 AM   #22
Alex C.
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
They started building the fiber glass for the TW5s; it will be 1.56 ft^3 which is just right for two of them. Pics below (sorry for quality):
Wow, those tw5 dont need alot of enclosure space. My sundowns each have a separate 1 cubic foot of space for all 4 subs. Im surprised they managed to squeeze two of them under the floor
Appreciate 0