BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
XBimmers | BMW X3 Forum BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board Health, Fitness, Martial Arts, and Nutrition Anyone using rowing machines regularly?

08-24-2018, 10:17 PM   #1
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 MB C300 4matic

Garage List
Anyone using rowing machines regularly?

If so, speak up. Suggestions for good machines? Better to just use the ones at a gym? Any good Zwift-like software? Is it a decent upper body/core workout?

"There is no shame in dropping fruit in your glass."
-UncleWede
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2018, 10:53 PM   #2
FlaPatsFan
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i wagon

The best row machine hands down is the Concept 2. They have been around for 40 years and can withstand anything you dish out. They are pricey averaging $800-$1100. But you get what you pay for. I have been using the Concept 2 on and off for years.

Rowing is a great total body cardio movement. It definitely hits some upper body, core and breathing capacity. Row for calories, time or intervals all provide great workouts.
Appreciate 2
cjb762133.50

08-24-2018, 11:16 PM   #3
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 MB C300 4matic

Garage List
The Concept 2 was the one I was considering. The cost is doable and well within my expectations for a quality machine. The only issue I have with buying one is its length. We have a room set aside for exercise. We have a Wahoo bike trainer and a Nordictrack ski machine in there. There really isn't room for laying out a Concept 2, although I understand they have a small footprint when folded up. The university where I work has several Concept 2 machines in the gym and full membership is dirt cheap, so I could just go there and use those. I just prefer to work out at home.

"There is no shame in dropping fruit in your glass."
-UncleWede
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2018, 01:37 AM   #4
FlaPatsFan
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Six View Post
The Concept 2 was the one I was considering. The cost is doable and well within my expectations for a quality machine. The only issue I have with buying one is its length. We have a room set aside for exercise. We have a Wahoo bike trainer and a Nordictrack ski machine in there. There really isn't room for laying out a Concept 2, although I understand they have a small footprint when folded up. The university where I work has several Concept 2 machines in the gym and full membership is dirt cheap, so I could just go there and use those. I just prefer to work out at home.
I totally understand. I use them at my gym/Crossfit Box. I also have a home gym but was limited on space so no rower, plus they expensive. I bought a Schwinn Airdyne bike instead for a fraction the cost. I say save the money use your gyms rower and invest in some other equipment for your home gym. Weights, dumbbells, kettlebells, bands, Medicine/slam ball, sand bag etc.....
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2018, 06:14 AM   #5
ScottSinger
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

Going now to use the concept 2 at my gym for twenty minute warm up - I wouldn’t want to buy one / would rather jump rope at home then have a rower, they get kinda boring after a month or so as a thirty or forty minute exercise
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2018, 07:37 AM   #6
Ric in RVA
Captain
Rep
Drives: '11 BSM 135i M-Sport

I have a concept 2 that I need to start using again. Used to row all the time and it is a great work out. LEARN CORRECT TECHNIQUE !!!!

They say not to stand on end. I think that is a CYA so it doesn't fall and land on anyone. Mine goes on end and is fine....just don't be stupid and put it where it will fall like Thors hammer on one of your kids, pets, playstations, etc.

I am going to go back to rowing today. Gonna suck. But be good at the same time. What an ass kicker!!
Appreciate 0