BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

08-01-2018, 02:41 PM   #1
latterlon
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW X3 3.0si

E83 X3 with 2A80 VANOS activation

I own a 2008 X3 with 126,000 miles. Recently it gave the 2A82 and 2A87 codes which were cleared and returned. I purchased two new VANOS solenoids on Amazon and had my mechanic replace those. He did try and relearn the system, which I didn't believe was necessary for this repair, but I now have a "2A80 Intake VANOS activation" code which cannot be erased with my C110 scanner. The car idles rough on startup then drives but with reduced power.

I cannot really pinpoint the 2A80 fault as it is not prevalent on the forums.

I also have the triad and had him replace the actuator gear, but the fluid wear code is on and the lights won't go off. I know I need to replace the fluid and maybe clear that with some of the software available...?

Any help is appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2018, 12:19 PM   #2
frisbeeguy
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW,Tesla, etc.

Garage List
He's not using ISTA+. That's the problem. He should calibrate the clutch packs (aka reset the oil wear light) when changing the transfer case fluid....too bad many skip this/don't even care. You'll need to run diagnostics with ISTA+ for those codes. There are plenty of threads on downloading/setting up ISTA+, so set it up first, along with BMW Standard tools. Then buy a K+DCAN cable (bimmergeeks or similar).
As for how diagnosis works, it's a dealer software, so when there are codes present (you first do an auto-scan), it will see those codes and come up with a test plan...basically ISTA+ tells you what to do.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2018, 12:55 PM   #3
latterlon
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW X3 3.0si

Thanks! I was thinking of getting that to reset the transfer case fluid.

But on the 2A80 code and the reduced power...? I cannot find any definitive information pointing to a cause. Maybe the off-brand VANOS solenoids, the inlet solenoid didn't get plugged in properly, etc. ?
Appreciate 0