BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

09-28-2018, 12:22 PM   #89
wrickem
Big Beaver Smile
Rep
Drives: What he wants to

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEM-S4 View Post
I didn't read the whole thread but...

In Chicago my Havanese was run down and attacked by a pit bull that was a fighting dog. He sustained a puncture would from a bite to the leg but survived because his walker snatched him away and then climbed onto a parked car before calling 911. He was then rushed to the hospital for emergency surgery. The pit bull was destroyed after a brief stay with animal control.

I then investigated the legality of options and also spoke with dog trainers and experts about what to do. Bottom line if you are armed - kill the attacking dog. If you are not armed - if the animal has either your pet or child or whatever in it's mouth - grab its back legs and lift as high as you can to force the attacking dog into a handstand. It will likely become disoriented and relax its grip, at which point you have some chances of escape.
That's actually one of my worst fears, I'm glad your dog survived. He was lucky your walker got him out of the other dogs jaws and took quick action.
BEM-S44511.50
      09-28-2018, 01:13 PM   #90
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan M235, Dinan Sport Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrickem View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BEM-S4 View Post
I didn't read the whole thread but...

In Chicago my Havanese was run down and attacked by a pit bull that was a fighting dog. He sustained a puncture would from a bite to the leg but survived because his walker snatched him away and then climbed onto a parked car before calling 911. He was then rushed to the hospital for emergency surgery. The pit bull was destroyed after a brief stay with animal control.

I then investigated the legality of options and also spoke with dog trainers and experts about what to do. Bottom line if you are armed - kill the attacking dog. If you are not armed - if the animal has either your pet or child or whatever in it's mouth - grab its back legs and lift as high as you can to force the attacking dog into a handstand. It will likely become disoriented and relax its grip, at which point you have some chances of escape.
That's actually one of my worst fears, I'm glad your dog survived. He was lucky your walker got him out of the other dogs jaws and took quick action.
It was so bad - I felt bad for the pit too 99% of the time it's a bad owner not a bad dog, but what are you going to do? Damn thing just as easily could have eaten a toddler playing in a yard.

We got off very easy and we're very lucky. 4 stitches and a shaved leg, lick your wounds and move on. Well we did the cone for a while to avoid the licking, but it was ok in the end
Appreciate 1
________4157.00
      09-28-2018, 01:54 PM   #91
Mardio
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5

Quote:
That's a great policy Unfortunately, too many people who have aggressive dogs won't admit that their dog is the problem.

We've got a 135lb French Mastiff and a 22lb Cav who are best buddies. Too many aggressive dogs have walked up to the big guy in dog parks wanting to pick a fight then turned on the little one when the big guy takes a stance. I don't even take them to dog parks anymore.
I am absolutely in love with the Dogue De Bordeaux, such beautiful dogs. I'm still grieving the loss of my Cane Corso but when I'm ready the French Mastiff is my next dog.
Appreciate 1
wrickem2101.00
      09-28-2018, 02:01 PM   #92
Hawkeye
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 Coupe, '21 X3, '16 GMC

Garage List
My ex's dog was attacked and killed while she was walking it. I am pretty sure she said the attacking dog was a pug... what a way to go. The pug was obviously put down.
2021 BMW x30i • Phytonic Blue Metallic • Fully loaded
Appreciate 1
________4157.00
      09-28-2018, 04:44 PM   #93
wrickem
Big Beaver Smile
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mardio View Post
Quote:
That's a great policy Unfortunately, too many people who have aggressive dogs won't admit that their dog is the problem.

We've got a 135lb French Mastiff and a 22lb Cav who are best buddies. Too many aggressive dogs have walked up to the big guy in dog parks wanting to pick a fight then turned on the little one when the big guy takes a stance. I don't even take them to dog parks anymore.
I am absolutely in love with the Dogue De Bordeaux, such beautiful dogs. I'm still grieving the loss of my Cane Corso but when I'm ready the French Mastiff is my next dog.
Yeah, he's a really great dog and not even a fraction of the drool I was expecting. You won't be sorry.
Mardio197.00
      09-28-2018, 05:01 PM   #94
Captain Blood
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Audi S3....don't judge me

Garage List
2016 Audi S3  [9.50]
2012 135  [6.83]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Yeah, he's a really great dog and not even a fraction of the drool I was expecting. You won't be sorry.
The downside being they only live 5 to 8 years.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2018, 05:05 PM   #95
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

My bullmastiff is almost 9 still doing pretty well
Appreciate 2
wrickem2101.00
      09-28-2018, 06:26 PM   #96
UglyBuzzard
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 / M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye View Post
My ex's dog was attacked and killed while she was walking it. I am pretty sure she said the attacking dog was a pug... what a way to go. The pug was obviously put down.
A pug? Did she have a foot?
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2018, 08:21 PM   #97
wrickem
Big Beaver Smile
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Real Dodger View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

The downside being they only live 5 to 8 years.
It's better than no years with him. I won't tell him you said he's living on borrowed time. He's 9 too and still going very strong
Attached Images

________4157.00
Mardio197.00
upstatedoc7555.50
      10-01-2018, 08:24 AM   #98
Hawkeye
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 Coupe, '21 X3, '16 GMC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by UglyBuzzard View Post
A pug? Did she have a foot?
She was never the "take action" type. She said it happened too fast but I thought the same as you, if I had been there it likely wouldn't have happened the way it did. You have to just react without overthinking it.
2021 BMW x30i • Phytonic Blue Metallic • Fully loaded
Appreciate 0