BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

08-11-2018, 06:54 PM   #1
magictw
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: X4 xdrive35i

Coolant Warning

So, after owning the x4 we have gotten a coolant warning light. I haven't had a chance to take a look at the coolant level because she's still out and about. However after she turned the car off and then on, she has not gotten the warning again (yet). She did say she was parked on a slight decline when it happened. Is this just a faulty or finicky/sensitive sensor or is it a common issue with the N55 engine? Any comments as to the possible problems to look for would be appreciated.

P.S. I also advised her to watch the temp gauge and make sure that it is under 250.

Also, if I need to top off the coolant levels does anyone know the brand/type of coolant that would be used (yellow/green/blue etc...)

Thank you very much!
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2018, 02:59 PM   #2
Bimar
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Bmw X

Top the coolant on first thing in the morning before startup, remember the cooling system is pressurized.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2018, 07:59 PM   #3
WagonR
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

I just had the same thing happen on my X3 (2013 3.5i). Light came on, then went off. I looked at the fluid level in the reservoir; it was below the min level, but there was still collant in there. I got my coolant from BMW, it was $8 for a quart. It's concentrated and you dilute 50/50 with distilled water. Ended up adding 2/3 of a quart, diluted, to get the level in the middle of high/low. At $8 I figured I may as well go with the same BMW fluid that was already in the system. As X4guy said, do it in the morning when everything's cold.

The car is 5 years old with about 60,000 miles. If the issue persists I will be concerned. However, if it was the accumulation of 5 years/60,000 miles, then I'm not overly worried about a small amount of coolant lost.
2008 E90 M3 6MT
Appreciate 0