BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

05-19-2011, 01:03 PM   #23
gareth12468
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 xDrive 28i

Garage List
2011 BMW X3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radioactive View Post
So True

Here is my first one. Do any of the adapters work?
This is my first one.....

Appreciate 0
      05-19-2011, 01:31 PM   #24
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

Quote:
Originally Posted by inamik75 View Post
thanks, since you like Apple products, here is the reason i don't have one http://theoatmeal.com/comics/apple
Quality. Worryingly accurate as well! Particularly the sleeping with it pic!

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2011, 01:35 PM   #25
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmermat View Post
One more disadvantage:

You can't FFW or Rewind while playing a track
That is poor. I hadn't realised. This could be Apple's fault rather than BMW's though. I would have thought if Apple exposed the interface for FFWD/RWD, it would be child's play to hook it up to the < > buttons on iDrive, so maybe Apple don't allow control this way

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2011, 01:55 PM   #26
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gareth12468 View Post
This is my first one.....

Ahh, 20 years ago the option list was a lot smaller and this was the must have PC
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-23-2011, 03:58 AM   #27
Bimar
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Bmw X

Sfax, with USB, can you playback video onto the idrive screen, just saying uf you can do album artwork, be able to watch movies on dvd drive, there must be a possibility on usb, just asking incase...
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2011, 04:49 AM   #28
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Sfax, with USB, can you playback video onto the idrive screen, just saying uf you can do album artwork, be able to watch movies on dvd drive, there must be a possibility on usb, just asking incase...
No, unfortunately not. I can't remember exactly what happens though. I think you just don't "see" the video file if you browse via folder. Will check

Appreciate 0
      05-23-2011, 09:04 AM   #29
mtlcruisin
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i

is there a way to fast forward through a song while playing a song through USB?
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2011, 09:25 AM   #30
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtlbrad View Post
is there a way to fast forward through a song while playing a song through USB?
Yes, someone said that this doesn't work but it does for me. You just hold the > or < button to fast forward and rewind respectively. Tried this successfully whilst playing music stored on a USB flash drive.

Appreciate 0
      05-25-2011, 08:09 AM   #31
Bimar
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Bmw X

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfax View Post
No, unfortunately not. I can't remember exactly what happens though. I think you just don't "see" the video file if you browse via folder. Will check
check these guys, they have hacks for ipod video and ipod interface on idrive
http://www.xbimmers.com/forums/showp...2&postcount=25
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2011, 09:04 AM   #32
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
check these guys, they have hacks for ipod video and ipod interface on idrive
http://www.xbimmers.com/forums/showp...2&postcount=25
Yeah, I emailed Patryk about 6NR last month. He said he'll let me know if they do one for the F Series. Nothing as yet but there is potential. I'm quite keen on a few little hacks. Removing the 1500m privacy setting on Find My BMW being the top of my list!

Appreciate 0
      05-25-2011, 10:29 AM   #33
mtlcruisin
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Yes, someone said that this doesn't work but it does for me. You just hold the > or < button to fast forward and rewind respectively. Tried this successfully whilst playing music stored on a USB flash drive.
ya doesn't work, if I hold the > it goes to options. Tried tapping it, holding it, can't get it to ffwd.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2011, 10:33 AM   #34
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtlbrad View Post
ya doesn't work, if I hold the > it goes to options. Tried tapping it, holding it, can't get it to ffwd.
Just to confirm, I'm talking about the < > buttons next to the DVD/CD tray, near the 1-8 favourite buttons. Options appear if you go right using the iDrive controller for me. Sorry if this is what you're already pressing and this advice is just annoying!

Appreciate 0
      05-25-2011, 10:55 AM   #35
mtlcruisin
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Just to confirm, I'm talking about the < > buttons next to the DVD/CD tray, near the 1-8 favourite buttons. Options appear if you go right using the iDrive controller for me. Sorry if this is what you're already pressing and this advice is just annoying!
works, I was using idrive, thanks!
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2011, 02:50 AM   #36
Sulcs80
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 F25 2.0d

Help!

I`m using USB Flash to play mp3 on my F25. But I have problem – each time when I start engine, playback restarts (it doesn`t remember which song I listen last time). So, if I choose play folder X in random, when I stop/start engine, music playback will start from the first song from main folder.
Does anyone know answer how I can resolve this problem?

Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2011, 05:31 AM   #37
JOHNBMWM5
Live for today tomorrow never comes
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2022 LCI Marina Bay Blue/ Smok

Quote:
Just wanted to report back on a few things regarding USB flash drives and music. Hope some of it proves useful:

1. You can copy music onto pretty much any USB flash drive. I bought a cheap 32GB one for £20 to use solely for the car and it works well so far. You can get a 64GB drive for about £90. You pay more for flash memory with higher data transfer rates but you really don’t need high data transfer rates for this purpose.

2. There is a list somewhere of which files are supported but I would only use mp3s as I think they are the only files which allow you to embed artwork in ID3 tags and they are the most universally compatible.

3. Album artwork only gets displayed if it’s embedded in ID3 tags in the actual mp3 files. iTunes doesn’t do this correctly in my experience and I had to use a 3rd party app http://dalepreston.com/Blog/2009/07/...art-fixer.html which will sort out your whole library pretty quickly and pick up any jpgs in the album folders and embed them correctly.

4. Also, don’t use iTunes to try to get artwork either as very limited. WMP is much better and there are other 3rd party apps out there too.

5. Once you have an mp3 library with embedded artwork you can copy it to a USB flash drive and plug it into the armrest USB socket. Music can then be played directly using Music Collection – External Devices.

6. You cannot play music direct from the 2nd USB socket in the glove box. This can only be used for importing music to the HDD.

7. If you play the music directly from the USB stick you see the artwork straight away

8. If you import the music from the USB to the HDD, you never see the artwork, regardless of whether it’s embedded as an ID3 tag or not

Advantages of dedicated USB flash drive over large capacity iPods

1. You can get a 32GB USB flash drive for a fraction of the price of any iPod

2. it’s solid state so less likely to be affected by the movement of the car

3. It takes up much less space in the armrest and doesn’t need a cable

4. Arguably less of a security risk than leaving an iPod permanently in the car

5. If you don’t leave an iPod permanently in the car you have to remember it every time you use the car

Disadvantages

1. You don’t get playlists and “easy” management other non-music stuff through iTunes

2. You’ll probably end up maintaining an iTunes or similar library elsewhere and having to manually add new stuff to the USB flash drive rather than just synching

3. You only have 32GB of storage in the £20-£40 price bracket and then prices in increase to £90 for 64GB

Advantages of using a dedicated USB flash drive over the internal HDD

1. The biggest one by far is that you don’t get the ridiculous bug where iDrive plays album songs in alphabetical order

2. Again, it’s solid state so less likely to be affected by the movement of the car

3. You get album artwork

4. Not restricted to 12GB capacity

5. Much easier to manage a USB flash drive than to use the import utility which only gives an all or nothing option when importing and is quite slow

Disadvantages

1. You permanently tie up the USB socket in the arm rest. I still haven’t tried USB charging from the glove box but I assume that this works OK

2. You can’t rip directly from a CD whilst playing it in the car

I've noticed another bug that seems to affect USB and HDD music (maybe iPod too but not sure) and that is where you have an album split over 2 or more CDs. Search by album and play and it plays CD1 track 1 then CD2 track 1, CD1Tr2, CD2Tr2 etc. Doh!
Thanks very much this is very useful information.
      11-11-2011, 07:25 AM   #38
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sulcs80 View Post
Help!

I`m using USB Flash to play mp3 on my F25. But I have problem – each time when I start engine, playback restarts (it doesn`t remember which song I listen last time). So, if I choose play folder X in random, when I stop/start engine, music playback will start from the first song from main folder.
Does anyone know answer how I can resolve this problem?

Thank you!
I'm pretty sure that when using my 32GB flash USB stick the last song playing is remembered on the key's profile. I will check later and let you know. I assume everything else is remembered like the radio station you were tuned to last?

Appreciate 0
      11-11-2011, 04:11 PM   #39
Bustofa
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F25 X3 XDrive20D SE

Mine remembers the last played song and actually picks up where it left off mid-track.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2011, 06:19 PM   #40
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bustofa View Post
Mine remembers the last played song and actually picks up where it left off mid-track.
Mine does too. Checked earlier and forgot to post. I don't use the random function, usually just play albums, but I'd be surprised if that makes any difference

Appreciate 0
      11-12-2011, 01:40 AM   #41
BIMMER UK 76
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW F25 X3 20d SE

Quote:
Fantastic assesment, More reasons why I don't need to buy any Apple product, regular USB playback is all i need.
You will need an X3 also

Thanks for info sfax

BMW F25 X3 xDRIVE 20d SE
Black Sapphire | Oyster Leather | Fineline Sienna Wood | 307 V Spokes | Auto | Prof Multimedia Package | xLine Package | Xenons | Business Radio | Sports Steering Wheel | Sports Seats | Panoramic Sunroof | Sun Protection Glass | Sun Blinds | Folding Ext. Mirrors + Titanium Grille | Chrome Exhaust Trim | Mudflaps
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2011, 01:26 PM   #42
Zoo54924
Getting there...
Rep
Drives: X3 35i

Can you organize folders as "playlists" with the USB thumb drive like how I can organize my music by playlists via ipod?

Last edited by Zoo54924; 11-14-2011 at 03:11 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2011, 12:24 PM   #43
BBMk
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 X3 BMW newbie

Thanks for the info gentlemen ... my dealer is telling me I have to buy the "$70 special data cable." Basically tried to connect my NANO (3rd gen ) and IPOD classic with no results - the usb menu on the screen did not light up. Then I tried a USB thumbdrive with MP3s and it works perfectly with Album art. ( BTW - the BMW sales rep said I wouldn't get the album art feature...but I was pretty sure he was wrong. I just didn't say anything. )

I have the Technology pak ( without NAV ) so according to Xbimmer threads I should be able to use the new (current) Apple IPOD cable. I tried connecting with the UBS to Apple connectors without success. The new cable is slimmer ( the connector piece that goes into your ipod is about the same size the plastic part sticking out...the old cable the plastic part is about twice the size in length ) Apple rewired the cable that's why you need to new(current) USB to Apple cable.(about $5 dollars on craigslist or kijiji ) or $21 from Applestore.

I asked the service manager if the cable should come with the car since I ordered the Technology Pak...he said NO never...it's a special BMW cable.

To the above post...yes I think to can save Playlist files on your USB thumbdrive so you can play only the songs that are on the playlist. I will try it and let you know.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2011, 01:31 PM   #44
beto_L.A.
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 G20 330i

I have a 2012 X3 NO NAV. I use a 120gb CLASSIC IPod with the Y cable and no art work shows on the screen...I haven't tried the white cable, what is the chance I will see art work????