BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

12-13-2018, 12:05 PM   #1
T16ole
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M40i

Does the X3 have that “special” feeling

I took delivery of a well spec’d M40i back in September and I’ve enjoyed 5k miles in it since.

I Spent about £5.5k on options, including ACC, Pano Roof, Merino leather, M sport package etc.

My previous car was a 640d which most certainly received lots of
positive comments and, to me at least, felt special.

Which got me thinking does that feeling extend to my X3....

From behind the wheel it feels special to me, it’s a better car than the 640d in almost every area. It’s a car for any occasion.

I’ve also had lots of people asking, is that the new X5?

It’s fair to say BMW have certainly up’d their game from previous generations in terms of “specialness”.

My old man has a Cayenne S Diesel (the V8), that most certainly feels more expensive, but I suppose it is.

I’m very pleased with it anyway.

Does your X3 feel special to you?
Appreciate 1
      12-13-2018, 12:19 PM   #2
D69GMB
Lieutenant Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: BMW

I don't currently own one yet but had a 30d on test drive for a weekend which made up my mind that this would be my next car. I have never driven or owned a car of this type or size and wanted to be sure that I would be happy with the way it drove/ handled. I am currently in the negotiation stage of buying a 40d.
To answer your question, I think it is a very good car to drive and was very surprised how refined and how well it handled. I think "special " is all relevant to what you normally drive,my day to day vehicle is a Ford Transit Connect which is my own payed for with my money van so when I drive something like the x3 yes it feels special.I used to own a Z4M roadster and this was my daily driver and honestly it felt special every time I drove it.
Appreciate 1
kozzi927.00
      12-13-2018, 12:28 PM   #3
verysideways
Lateral grip estimator
Rep
Drives: i4, M2

Garage List
X3 M40i is both more cosseting and luxurious, and yet also better handling and more sporty than my previous 340i M Sport Touring.
It's much quieter and more comfortable, and yet also much more fun to drive when the mood takes me, and when i put it in sport it handles better and makes a better noise than the 340 did too.

I think most of this is down to the fact that the X3 M40i is an M Performance car, whereas my 340i was simply a normal 3 series with a gutsy engine.

You can certainly tell the G01 is a 5/7 series platform rather than 3 series based, but thanks to some M Performance trickery it handles much better than it should for the height and weight.

Definitely feels special, like my old E87 130i did.

Not as special as my 993 turbo, but that couldn't take my wife and kids and dog and bikes on the towbar for a day out
'02 Morgan Aero 8
http://petrolhead.tours
Appreciate 2
      12-13-2018, 12:37 PM   #4
nvestr
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X3 M40i - Sold

Garage List
I've never been much of a BMW guy, to be honest. My brother-in-law had a 2016 X5M that I put some miles on - it was enjoyable but did not feel overly special, especially relative to its cost. It was just ok for me. I had driven a 440i Xdrive when I was shopping for my Benz C43 AMG and was underwhelmed with the interior.

I did not have high expectations with the X3 and my original pre-judice was that X3's were SUV's for women (sorry! lol).

Everything changed when I took the M40i X3 out of the dealer's lot for a test drive. It did feel really special to me - a feeling I haven't gotten from other BMW's for whatever reason. Can't explain it. That is why I plan on orderering one for when my MB lease comes due in May.
Appreciate 2
SROC31702.00
      12-13-2018, 01:02 PM   #5
ParadigmDawg
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2019 AMG GLC63s

To me it's a fun car to zip around town in. Mine is tuned and is really quick so it's fun to race all the Mustangs, Camaros, Dodges, Audis, Benz, Vettes and other Bimmers. Honestly it's only been beat once and that was by a modded Shelby GT500.

The interior and it's fit and finish is nothing special and the seats kill my butt and legs. The cabin is noisy and just not refined. I hate the car on long trips.

So...to me its just a fun, in town car that runs good, looks good on the outside and sounds great.

Last edited by ParadigmDawg; 12-13-2018 at 01:34 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2018, 01:47 PM   #6
djayash
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X3

I just picked up my X3 last weekend. I had purchased a brand new Benz last year and was really unhappy with it. Nothing luxurious or special abt it.

When I was test driving cars, BMW was not really in my list. I just happened to be next to a dealership and time to kill, so drove a X3. Loved it and bought one days later.

Love the interiors, technology and well pretty much everything so far. Special so far
Appreciate 1
SROC31702.00
      12-13-2018, 01:51 PM   #7
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d

Interior wise, compared to an F30 definitely! Compared to a G30 not so much, X3 needs the Merino to get close to the G30, but then of course a G30 with Merino/Nappa is another step up.

Drive wise, it’s certainly better than anything else I’ve driven with 4 seats, and also knowing you can go off road or wade half a metre of water makes you feel king of the road!
Appreciate 1
SROC31702.00
      12-13-2018, 02:28 PM   #8
spangle1980
Deadly
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d BG LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by T16ole View Post
Let's just put it this way. I'm in love with my M40d. Every time I plant my foot down, or look at the interior, or just approach it. I love her :-)
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2018, 02:35 PM   #9
LostX
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by spangle1980 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by T16ole View Post
Let's just put it this way. I'm in love with my M40d. Every time I plant my foot down, or look at the interior, or just approach it. I love her :-)
Does she have a name?
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2018, 02:38 PM   #10
SROC3
The limit of adhesion is my home.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Like a Boss.

This is a very good question to pose It's actually why I have an X3 on order and not another M4 or "higher-number-leveled variant" from BMW. That fleeting test-drive I had as a loaner really made a big impression on me - it was a BASE model X3 with no options at all and it still left me wanting to go for random drives and make up errands. lol. Now I have a fully-optioned MSport 30i arriving in January
      12-13-2018, 05:34 PM   #11
Lux700
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d - Black Sapphire

For what it is (SUV), it does feel special. Saying that, we need to remember it’s base architecture, so it should be fairly well sorted. So far, it feels solid, is refined and insulated, and makes effortless and deceptive speed. Again, for what it is, it’s excellent to drive, it handles very well, rides well, is quick (there aren’t that many cars on the road that are quicker), it’s spacious, looks good and is well equipped.

One more thing to remember is that we get used to and acclimatise to things, so the more we get used to it the more normal the experience of driving it will become. Maybe all of us owners should buy ourselves a scrappy old banger to drive around in for a few days of the week so that when we get back into our X3s we will appreciate them all over again!

I haven’t got a scrappy car to mooch around in, but funnily enough I still think my M40d is special.
Appreciate 1
SROC31702.00
      12-13-2018, 05:49 PM   #12
Tex94
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 M40i, Carbon Black

Garage List
I think my answer depends on who is judging the “special”. If it is me, the owner/driver, then absolutely yes. As others have said it is a fantastic ride with sneaky speed and handling and great infotainment and a step forward in luxury from prior x3s. Definitely special.

For others (assuming you are looking for external validation of your <<fill in the blank>>), then no. Yes, it looks nice but it doesn’t scream special. It looks like the next generation of the X3, a solid dependable, mid size SUV. I wouldn’t expect much if I did not drive it or if I hadn’t done any research on it. It doesn’t really stand out. But take them for a ride or let them take a turn behind the wheel and I think they would then think it special. I don’t expect to get random compliments on it like I did my Cayenne though. This time the speed and handling and excitement is for me.
Appreciate 1
SROC31702.00
      12-13-2018, 10:53 PM   #13
Njerts
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: x3 m40i

Garage List
I get up for work everyday at 5:30am. When I struggle to get up I motivate myself with the thought that I get to drive my M40 to work.
To me it is very special.
Appreciate 2
SROC31702.00
      12-14-2018, 01:24 AM   #14
Jayf30
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '18 X3 M40i Dark Graphite Cogn

Very special to me.

I'm always getting compliments and folks asking about her. Today, I got a lot of satisfaction when a guy in an i8 drove past me while I was parked in my driveway and completely broke his neck to look at her lol
      12-14-2018, 01:47 AM   #15
spangle1980
Deadly
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d BG LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostX View Post
Does she have a name?
Would you know it - NO!!! It is an illicit affair, full of passion and drive. We haven't gotten to the name stage yet . Maybe the relationship will evolve to first name terms, but for now the feeling is awesome ...

;-)
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2018, 01:59 AM   #16
RichM50d
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ‘22 8 Series Gran Coupe

It’s special to me. The way it feels and drives is special. I like that it looks fairly normal, and slips under the radar, but always enjoy taking people out in it and seeing the look on their faces afterwards, when they get to experience how special it is!
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2018, 02:28 AM   #17
Freezzr
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 4-series Gran Coupe

Garage List
2018 BMW X3  [0.00]
2015 BMW 4 GC  [0.00]
I have a rather basic X3 (because cars overhere are mega-expensive) I'm sorry to say but I'd rather have my old 4-series GC... I think you really need M package and fast engine to have 'that special' feeling. It's not bad, but I'm not very enthousiastic, it also feels like the quality is behind of the 4-series.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2018, 08:11 AM   #18
mde83
Private
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 m40i

Every new car (or new to me used car) has felt "special" to me for a while. But eventually, again for me, that feeling fades a good bit...And then either my lease ends or I trade/sell the vehicle, etc. and get to experience "special" again.

Believe it or not, the most "special" feeling vehicle that I have owned...and the one in which that feeling has lasted the longest, is a lowly 2004 Jeep Wrangler. Its very basic transportation, not a lot of tech. Its 14 years old now...but more often than not, on nice days, I pick it to drive over my Dodge Challenger Scat Pack and my current BMW X3 35i. Probably because of the soft top and the ability to make it a convertible... And once it a while we go off road...

I am taking delivery of my m40i tomorrow. And for a while, mostly the first 6 months, but to a lesser extent for a year or two, it will feel like a treat whenever I drive it. But knowing me, in the last year of my 3 year lease, I will be looking forward t that next "special" experience in the next vehicle.

I am 53yo and have had close to 70 vehicles in my life... no I don't equate cars to women...never been that lucky...or unlucky depending on your frame of mind...
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2018, 03:29 PM   #19
SROC3
The limit of adhesion is my home.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Like a Boss.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mde83 View Post
no I don't equate cars to women...never been that lucky...or unlucky depending on your frame of mind...
      12-14-2018, 03:57 PM   #20
IM_ALL_IN
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i

Feels special to me. All the tech + handling/looks/power make me think I'm driving a beast every time I start her up. The seats could be plusher, but they are fine for the most part. Great car, best I've owned and I love feeling its fire after a long day at work. Some dude in a rav 4 just tried to beat me off the light haha...gotta love knowing that only the rarest cars are faster.
Appreciate 1
MechX3M40i1006.00
      12-14-2018, 04:33 PM   #21
Lux700
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d - Black Sapphire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex94 View Post
I think my answer depends on who is judging the “special”. If it is me, the owner/driver, then absolutely yes. As others have said it is a fantastic ride with sneaky speed and handling and great infotainment and a step forward in luxury from prior x3s. Definitely special.

For others (assuming you are looking for external validation of your <<fill in the blank>>), then no. Yes, it looks nice but it doesn’t scream special. It looks like the next generation of the X3, a solid dependable, mid size SUV. I wouldn’t expect much if I did not drive it or if I hadn’t done any research on it. It doesn’t really stand out. But take them for a ride or let them take a turn behind the wheel and I think they would then think it special. I don’t expect to get random compliments on it like I did my Cayenne though. This time the speed and handling and excitement is for me.
Glad I said ‘for what it is’. Depends what you are used to!
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2018, 06:48 PM   #22
XXX3
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

It’s faster, and more fun to drive than the 1968 Roadrunner I bought when I returned home from the Vietnam war...now that’s pretty special.
2013 Boss 302 Race Red (sold)
Appreciate 1
MechX3M40i1006.00