BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

12-08-2022, 06:31 PM   #1
calvinlovecindy
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X3

Garage List
2019 bmw X3  [0.00]
We don’t put many mileages on my 2019 X3, it runs fine, starts instantly . But the batter only has 12.25v, it’s still usable, but it’s not healthy condition, it’s time to get a Ctek trickle charger to restore or maintain it’s performance.
I’m tired to open the hood each time. With the eyelets of CTEK MXS 5.0, I connected positive on the red terminal in engine bay, and negative on the grounded screw in front battery bay. Then secured the comfort plug nearby the wiper with nylon tie.
The red wire of original comfort connect cable is kind of short, only 16”, I had to soldered a wire to extend it. It works great.
you will need to extend the black wire to if you want to drag out the snap-on plug when you charge it.
If you don’t want to solder, you can get a extension cable. CTEK (56-304)
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
ez31171.50
Rob3909.00
      12-08-2022, 09:23 PM   #2
suby01
Cowboy Astronaut Millionaire
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3 M40i

Cool idea.
Is this for storage or do you drive around with this too?
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2022, 09:52 PM   #3
AllBlackBimmer
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 m40i

Nice.
I have my CTEK quick connect hooked up too but i usually just pop the hood, which reminds me every time how stupid the hood release and latch is on these cars. No way so old lady could shut the hood properly as I have to slam mine shut.
But… have been using ctek chargers in my BMWs for over 10 years and wouldn’t choose any other product.
Appreciate 1
vinny84292.00
      12-09-2022, 06:57 AM   #4
bouchy
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3 (G01)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllBlackBimmer View Post
...No way so old lady could shut the hood properly as I have to slam mine shut....
This is not right, I am convinced. Nice decent slam from ca 15 cm above the target point and it closes nicely. It is possible to lay the hood and decently push it. This method isn't probably for an old lady. I am 190 cm (in imp., its like 6ft 2")
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2022, 11:24 AM   #5
calvinlovecindy
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2019 bmw X3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by suby01 View Post
Cool idea.
Is this for storage or do you drive around with this too?
I drive around it, just not much, so it needs some extra charging.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2022, 11:56 AM   #6
vinny84
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2005 BMW X5

Quote:
Nice.
I have my CTEK quick connect hooked up too but i usually just pop the hood, which reminds me every time how stupid the hood release and latch is on these cars. No way so old lady could shut the hood properly as I have to slam mine shut.
But… have been using ctek chargers in my BMWs for over 10 years and wouldn’t choose any other product.
Agreed. CTEK is the way to go. I used them on my Ferrari’s in the past.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2022, 04:42 PM   #7
Rottweiler
Captain (Retired)
Rep
Drives: X4 M40i

Garage List
2023 BMW X4 M40I  [10.00]
So how bad is it that I use my CTEK quick connects on the battery terminals instead of the under hood posts? Have not had any issue yet, and just toss the unit in the back with a window open for the cord.

Should I be concerned with gases being emitted?
Appreciate 1
      12-09-2022, 05:11 PM   #8
vinny84
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rottweiler View Post
So how bad is it that I use my CTEK quick connects on the battery terminals instead of the under hood posts? Have not had any issue yet, and just toss the unit in the back with a window open for the cord.

It’s safe to use either way. I’ve always used the quick connects with my cars. Never an issue.
Appreciate 1
Rottweiler3983.00
      12-09-2022, 05:39 PM   #9
calvinlovecindy
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2019 bmw X3  [0.00]
Quote:

I think it should be fine, bypassing BMW could be better for healing battery. It’s better to let ctek to manage charging, not BMW IBS.

Only downside, have to open truck for charging.
Appreciate 2
Rottweiler3983.00
vinny84292.00
      12-10-2022, 01:47 AM   #10
moonshine
Lieutenant Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 718 Boxster S

Quote:

There is an argument that you should not connect direct to the negative battery terminal, but rather use a comment ground on the chassis. That is why the under bonnet jump start terminals are favoured.
Cars with smart alternators & AGM Batteries have a shunt (a small black box of electronics) on the negative terminal of the battery.
That is essentially a coulumb counter that records current into / current out.
If you attach a charger direct to the negative terminal you bypass the Shunt and that messes up the coulumb counting that is part an parcel of the logic that is behind the variable charging that the cars have that changes with battery age.
That is why new batteries need to be coded to the car - to reset the charging algorithm.

That said, it's not critical, but less than ideal.
Appreciate 2
      12-10-2022, 08:25 AM   #11
AllBlackBimmer
Colonel
Rep

Quote:

Bad.
Please do not do this.

The computer needs to read the battery charge to understand the battery and maintain at optimum levels and longevity.
By bypassing the computer, you are going to confuse the car. Sure it might be ok right now today but don’t be surprised when you have electrical or battery issues months or years from now, and your battery only last a year because the car is overcharging/discharging it incorrectly.

Do NOT hook up directly to the battery. Always connect through the connections under the hood as stated in the instruction manual clearly. I know cars 25 years ago it didn’t matter but we all drive computer on wheels now.

If you have a newer model with mild hybrid system, I would caution you even more.
It’s your car so do what you want, but you have been warned. It’s not BMW snake oil.
Choose wisely.

Last edited by AllBlackBimmer; 12-10-2022 at 12:15 PM..
Appreciate 3
      12-10-2022, 08:39 PM   #12
Rottweiler
Captain (Retired)
Rep
Drives: X4 M40i

Garage List
2023 BMW X4 M40I  [10.00]
Quote:
Bad.
Please do not do this.

The computer needs to read the battery charge to understand the battery and maintain at optimum levels and longevity.
By bypassing the computer, you are going to confuse the car. Sure it might be ok right now today but don’t be surprised when you have electrical or battery issues months or years from now, and your battery only last a year because the car is overcharging/discharging it incorrectly.

Do NOT hook up directly to the battery. Always connect through the connections under the hood as stated in the instruction manual clearly. I know cars 25 years ago it didn’t matter but we all drive computer on wheels now.

If you have a newer model with mild hybrid system, I would caution you even more.
It’s your car so do what you want, but you have been warned. It’s not BMW snake oil.
Choose wisely.
Ok. I’ve relocated the CTEK; thank you very much. Hope I didn’t mess anything up with the few occasions I did use the battery terminals. CTEK went to 7 fairly quickly on the under hood posts so maybe it’s all ok
Appreciate 2
moonshine849.00
vinny84292.00
      12-10-2022, 11:51 PM   #13
AllBlackBimmer
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Ok. I’ve relocated the CTEK; thank you very much. Hope I didn’t mess anything up with the few occasions I did use the battery terminals. CTEK went to 7 fairly quickly on the under hood posts so maybe it’s all ok
It will be fine
Appreciate 2
vinny84292.00
Rottweiler3983.00
      12-11-2022, 09:32 AM   #14
vinny84
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
It will be fine
Agreed. You’re fine. The CTEK charger dubs as a smart charger. It will shut off if it detects any disturbance
Appreciate 1
Rottweiler3983.00
      12-24-2022, 03:11 PM   #15
izjamest
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i (2022)

Hi just got on the charging band wagon. Is there any easy way to attach those eyelets to the positive and negative terminals? Did they fit in the terminal/screw and how did you secure them? Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2023, 07:26 PM   #16
calvinlovecindy
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2019 bmw X3  [0.00]
Yes, there are positive and negative terminals, you can attach the eyelets on positive terminal and chassis bolt for negative.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2024, 02:21 PM   #17
fosmani
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvinlovecindy View Post
We don’t put many mileages on my 2019 X3, it runs fine, starts instantly . But the batter only has 12.25v, it’s still usable, but it’s not healthy condition, it’s time to get a Ctek trickle charger to restore or maintain it’s performance.
I’m tired to open the hood each time. With the eyelets of CTEK MXS 5.0, I connected positive on the red terminal in engine bay, and negative on the grounded screw in front battery bay. Then secured the comfort plug nearby the wiper with nylon tie.
The red wire of original comfort connect cable is kind of short, only 16”, I had to soldered a wire to extend it. It works great.
you will need to extend the black wire to if you want to drag out the snap-on plug when you charge it.
If you don’t want to solder, you can get a extension cable. CTEK (56-304)
Apologies for reviving an old thread. It looks like you've also cut a hole in your positive terminal's red plastic cap (presumably, in order to allow the CTEK eyelet wire through so you can fully snap-close the red cap over the positive terminal after the eyelet has been installed).

May I ask how you did that, and the approx. dimensions of the cut?
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2024, 05:07 PM   #18
das boots
Senior Chief (Ret.)
United_States
Rep
Drives: '90 M3, '05 ZHP, '24 X4 M401

I still use the CTEK to charge the old fashioned way. Open the hood to cool down the engine at the same time.
SCPO SW USN (ret)
BMW CCA 192742, NRA Life Member, F&A M
Appreciate 1
      04-24-2024, 10:24 AM   #19
pennhaven
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2024 X3 30i

Hi.
Brand new owner and member. First post.
Our new X3 will also have periods of low usage, so I very much like OP's idea here as it would make battery charging far easier for my wife.
But before I do this, though, I wanted to check to see how it is working out for anyone whose vehicle is in snow country, or for that matter a lot of rain.

e.g., Does the cap on the cable connector stay sealed? Any other lessons learned or tips to make this even better?

Thx.
Appreciate 0