BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

02-25-2024, 08:49 AM   #1
brandonloos_21
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 M

Custom Wheels?

Have any of you had custom wheels made for your cars? If so, who did you go through, what was your experience like, and how are the wheels?

I’m looking at a few overseas suppliers, who are known to make the blanks for big forged wheel companies, and was thinking about having a set of custom wheels made for them, as it’s a fraction of the cost. I saw a g80 brand (I think s58 power) made some wheels specifically for the g80 platform, and is selling them with custom s58 branding. I figure they likely did the same as what I’m describing.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2024, 12:40 PM   #2
bad430benz
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '21 X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonloos_21 View Post
Have any of you had custom wheels made for your cars? If so, who did you go through, what was your experience like, and how are the wheels?

I’m looking at a few overseas suppliers, who are known to make the blanks for big forged wheel companies, and was thinking about having a set of custom wheels made for them, as it’s a fraction of the cost. I saw a g80 brand (I think s58 power) made some wheels specifically for the g80 platform, and is selling them with custom s58 branding. I figure they likely did the same as what I’m describing.
Why would you go this route and take all kinds of risks as there are so many brands and styles of wheels out there to be "custom" ? If it's for the style , you are never going to be original in the wheel category .
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2024, 10:44 AM   #3
brandonloos_21
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bad430benz View Post
Why would you go this route and take all kinds of risks as there are so many brands and styles of wheels out there to be "custom" ? If it's for the style , you are never going to be original in the wheel category .
A lot of factors play into this, such as style, widths and offsets, cost, color, etc. I was asking looking to hear from those with experience to either verify or debunk some of the common worries/thughts.

Like mentioned, I know there are a LOT of us vendors who source their products from these custom manufacturers, get their custom design and brand name on the wheels, then charge a premium. Which is OK, that’s how everything works.

In addition, it is confirmed that a lot of the blanks are used by the same large companies as well.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2024, 12:23 PM   #4
bad430benz
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
A lot of factors play into this, such as style, widths and offsets, cost, color, etc. I was asking looking to hear from those with experience to either verify or debunk some of the common worries/thughts.

Like mentioned, I know there are a LOT of us vendors who source their products from these custom manufacturers, get their custom design and brand name on the wheels, then charge a premium. Which is OK, that’s how everything works.

In addition, it is confirmed that a lot of the blanks are used by the same large companies as well.
I understand what you're saying but what do you think you are going to pay for a blank and then have to do all the finish work compared to buying a finished product from a company that will give you a complete warranty also ? There are so many wheel companies out there now that can give you exactly what you want for a fraction of the cost of the HRE , BBS , etc. names .

I have done the blank route with my old Mercedes show car and the only reason I did it is because I knew the car was only moving from the trailer to the show and back into the trailer . I would never trust the blank route with a daily driver . Just my $.02 for what it's worth .
Appreciate 1
Max Well4737.50
      02-27-2024, 01:05 PM   #5
brandonloos_21
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bad430benz View Post
I understand what you're saying but what do you think you are going to pay for a blank and then have to do all the finish work compared to buying a finished product from a company that will give you a complete warranty also ? There are so many wheel companies out there now that can give you exactly what you want for a fraction of the cost of the HRE , BBS , etc. names .

I have done the blank route with my old Mercedes show car and the only reason I did it is because I knew the car was only moving from the trailer to the show and back into the trailer . I would never trust the blank route with a daily driver . Just my $.02 for what it's worth .
These companies also finish the wheels so I wouldn’t be finding anyone to finish machining and coating.

I assume you ordered blanks then had found someone to finish the machining?

As for companies referring to above, any examples? I’d rather be able to source in US to get what I want!
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2024, 02:16 PM   #6
Max Well
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '22 BG X3MC, '20 BSM X3MC

Quote:
These companies also finish the wheels so I wouldn’t be finding anyone to finish machining and coating.

I assume you ordered blanks then had found someone to finish the machining?

As for companies referring to above, any examples? I’d rather be able to source in US to get what I want!
Assuming you read through the Members' Wheel and Tire entries at https://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1949903, did you notice Custom X4M Comp's wheels? Look at his entry in that thread and check out the links mentioned there to see his wheels. In one of those he mentions that he orders custom wheels so might be worth at least a PM to him if you're determined to follow the custom route.
Appreciate 2
      02-27-2024, 02:43 PM   #7
bad430benz
Private First Class
Rep

I understand wanting to save a few bucks on items that are not as safety related but wheels . to me , are a different story . How much are you really going to save by purchasing "blanks" as apposed to just purchasing some inexpensive wheels and get a warranty ?

What is your budget for wheels ?
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2024, 03:16 PM   #8
bad430benz
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Well View Post
Assuming you read through the Members' Wheel and Tire entries at https://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1949903, did you notice Custom X4M Comp's wheels? Look at his entry in that thread and check out the links mentioned there to see his wheels. In one of those he mentions that he orders custom wheels so might be worth at least a PM to him if you're determined to follow the custom route.
Looks like he paid $2200 for his set . I paid $2500 for my Ferradas so we are not far off on pricing .
Appreciate 0