BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

11-18-2019, 12:49 PM   #1
mjdth
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Garage List
Update: Horrible endless rattle coming from SOS button console FIXED (w/instructions)

For over a year, from very the moment my engine started, the damn overhead SOS/light console would rattle endlessly. Bumps, vibrations, turns, anything would cause it to happen.

In that time I've brought it in for service three times for various things, to two separate dealers and asked them to please fix it. Do whatever they must. Fill the whole damn thing with superglue I don't care.

I got back several "we could not reproduce the rattle" responses and said I don't care just tighten everything up there or take it apart and put it back together. They kept adding "felt tap as per BMW guidelines."

Nothing fixed it. It continued to rattle. I kept being more and more annoyed by my car every time I drove it.

So I decided to take matters into my own hands and do a little bit of work on the car myself. I can finally drive the car and appreciate it for the $67k MSRP German-engineered marvel that it is, rather than feel like I'm driving a rickety rental 2006 Kia.

Edit: Sorry forgot to include instructions. If you're having this issue, find a credit card or similarly shaped object that you don't need and shove it as far in there as you can.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2019, 01:07 PM   #2
The Dutch Joe
Second Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 20i M-Sport (G01)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjdth View Post
For over a year, from very the moment my engine started, the damn overhead SOS/light console would rattle endlessly. Bumps, vibrations, turns, anything would cause it to happen.

In that time I've brought it in for service three times for various things, to two separate dealers and asked them to please fix it. Do whatever they must. Fill the whole damn thing with superglue I don't care.

I got back several "we could not reproduce the rattle" responses and said I don't care just tighten everything up there or take it apart and put it back together. They kept adding "felt tap as per BMW guidelines."

Nothing fixed it. It continued to rattle. I kept being more and more annoyed by my car every time I drove it.

So I decided to take matters into my own hands and do a little bit of work on the car myself. I can finally drive the car and appreciate it for the $67k MSRP German-engineered marvel that it is, rather than feel like I'm driving a rickety rental 2006 Kia.

Edit: Sorry forgot to include instructions. If you're having this issue, find a credit card or similarly shaped object that you don't need and shove it as far in there as you can.
Oh maaaan..
Really??

Not the prettiest solution, but ey.. if it works..

Can't you just push a smaller piece between it so it's out of sight?
      11-18-2019, 04:17 PM   #3
Eclimax13
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: .

Mine doesn't rattle but it snapped and cracks constantly. Had it replaced once and still does it. No fix as of yet.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2019, 04:33 PM   #4
mjdth
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dutch Joe View Post
Can't you just push a smaller piece between it so it's out of sight?
Probably could, just worried it'd get stuck in there and cause more problems. Also wasn't sure if this would actually fix it, but now that the rattle's gone I'm afraid to touch anything.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2019, 07:45 PM   #5
BobsM3Coupe
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjdth View Post

Watch out next time you're in Costco, they will hound you to upgrade to the Executive card.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2019, 04:08 AM   #6
willjames
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 3.0d M Sport

Why not get a small piece of black plastic? Maybe a black guitar pick or something similar. Should be less unsightly and do the same job.

Or even take some black silicone sealant, extrude a length into some paper, let it dry solid, peel it off and then tuck it under where the rattle is, you may not see it all then.
Appreciate 0