BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

02-16-2024, 12:27 PM   #1
TacReload
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X3M

Garage List
2020 BMW X3M  [0.00]
One-Day M School Thermal, CA

Sorry for the long post. I searched the forum and didn't see a detailed write up, so I thought I'd post one.

I purchased my 2020 X3 M back in October and during the purchase process the GM mentioned inviting me to go to the BMW Performance Driving Center in Thermal, CA. That definitely got me thinking so I checked out their website to see what they had to offer. I've been wanting to make a quick trip to Palm Springs anyway, so I decided to try the "One-Day M School" on Superbowl Sunday. Thought I'd take a moment to decribe the experience.

The BMW Performance Center in Thermal, CA is located right next to Thermal Club. Think of Thermal Club as like a golf country club, but for motor sports. The BMW facilities include a nice building with classrooms, a gift shop, and on-site dining as well as their own polished-concrete skid pad and a handling course. BMW pays a significant corporate membership which allows them to use the Thermal Club tracks as well.

The day started with check in at 8AM and there appeared to be a handful of classes checking in simultaneously. We then spent 45-60 minutes going over safety, basic instruction, and breaking up into groups. There were 16 people doing the one-day M course and we were broken into three groups.

Our first exercise was on the skid pad with the M5 Competition. They turned on the sprinklers to the skid pad which, when paired with the 600+ hp of the M5 Comp, provided a nice challenge. The purpose of the exercise was to work on the ability to "feel" the car and learn to control oversteer. After a few practice laps, and having demonstrated mastery of correcting oversteer, we were instructed to "drift the course".

The next exercise was proper cornering with an M2 Competition. A 90 degree right hand turn was marked with cones for a braking zone, turn-in point, apex, and drive out points. At first, we stopped the car with the bumper at exactly at the turn-in point and were instructed to accelerate hard to apex while letting the car move to the outside of the track. Our speed was captured roughly 100 yards away. Then, they moved the start point roughly 100 yards back up the track and we practiced proper braking technique (HARD) before the turn in then hitting all the proper points at the corner while again capturing our speed. It's remarkable how much speed you pick up when you do everything right. Conversely, it's amazing ow much speed you lose when something isn't quite right. The car give plenty of feedback if you're late or early on you're turn in or if you're on the throttle too early.

Next, we moved to the handling course where the professional driver lead us through a course layout. It's was a tough course that had roughly 16-18 corners including some long, double apex corners and a couple S-corners. As he lead us through the course he gave very detailed instructions and demonstrated the optimum line. We then had numerous run-thrus at our own pace. Each lap we picked up some speed and some confidence. Finally, the professional driver had us ride along with them in an M3 Competition at a ridiculous pace. The ride was thrilling and really showed me just how much the car had to give at which point we took a break for a well-earned lunch.

After lunch, we were back to the skid pad in the M5 Competition for the "rat race" on the skid pad. Two competitors start at opposite sides of the skid pad then on "go" you try and catch the competitor in front of you. The typical race goes for about three laps. Although it's just a variation of the skid pad exercise from earlier, the feel is much different since your focused on speed and not style. It's extremely important to keep the car under control as a spin out results in a DQ. To win, you have to catch any oversteer quickly and confidently. It works in a round-robin format so you end up competing with most of your squad mates. This was really fun and I ended up winning our group and was awarded the "king rat" prize. Interestingly, when the competition is over they had us turn on all traction control and dynamic stability control and run one fast lap. It's amazing how much the car can intervene in less than ideal conditions and you could feel brakes being applied to individual wheels.

We then moved back over to the handling course in the M2 Competition for timed laps. The goal is to improve your time over eight timed attempts. Since we were all familiar with the course from the morning session, this was about really pushing our limits. They had timing devices at the start cones and at a setup of stop cones where we had to stop in a box or risk penalties. There were also penalties for knocking over cones or going off course. The entire time we were running laps, the instructors could be heard on the in-car radio giving us feedback. They also put additional cones out on the track to mark areas where we needed to change our technique to hit a certain spot on the track. The biggest thing I learned from this exercise was not focusing on the thing in front of me such as the turn in or the apex as that causes you to miss the forest for the trees. It's important to not just drive from the windshield, but look out your driver and passenger windows to look further out into the course. There were several times I missed a double apex because I was focused on the apex in front of me and took the corner too flat instead of having patience.

Finally, we moved over the the Thermal Club and we took the M4 Competition onto the Desert Track since the North Palm Track was under construction for an upcoming Indy Car race. This exercise was a standard lead follow with an instructor in the lead car and two students in their own cars following. Our group was divided into sub-groups by skill to ensure each student was pushed to an appropriate level. As part of the "fast" group, we were the first group to hit the track. The instructor was remarkable as he was on the radio the entire time describing exactly what he was doing and staying on the perfect line. Each lap picked up speed until the instructor would break away a bit while he coached you to try and keep up. After 5-6 laps, the students switched positions so each could have the experience of being right behind the instructor. This exercise was challenging and definitely pushed me to my limit and was also physically demanding. I only had the opportunity to check my speed once and I was doing 120 mph right before breaking on a straightaway. There were sweeping corners, hairpins, elevation changes, and more.

Following the track exercise we returned to the classroom where the instructors handed out a few prizes and took questions. I ended up leaving the facility at about 4:30PM. Overall I'm pleased that I attended. I learned a great deal about performance driving and what these M cars are truly capable of. If you have an opportunity to attend, I would highly recommend. I know there is a group of BMW owners attending a half-day session soon which seems like you would cover some of the same things.
Appreciate 6
Max Well4737.50
M4Lou414.00
95wildtt832.50
Bimma360248.00
      02-16-2024, 08:36 PM   #2
M4Lou
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 21'-x3m40i 23'-m4c 24'-x3mc

Good stuff - cost to attend?
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2024, 01:53 AM   #3
Kevin_The_Clean1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3 MC

Great write-up here. I find it hard to get extra time to attend fun events like this. But I would certainly like to go if my schedule lightens up.

2017 F87 M2 - Sold & missed
2020 F97 X3 M Competition - Finally arrived ///
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2024, 10:08 AM   #4
Mnfamilyguy2020
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 X4MC 2018 RR

There used to be one in Indy. I want to say it was $1,500 in 2004 and that included a pit pass at the US Grand Prix. I'm pretty it's $1,750 out at Thermal.

Last edited by Mnfamilyguy2020; 02-18-2024 at 11:22 AM..
Appreciate 1
M4Lou414.00
      02-19-2024, 10:24 AM   #5
TacReload
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X3M

Garage List
2020 BMW X3M  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M4Lou View Post
Good stuff - cost to attend?
It was $1750 for the full day. They do have less expensive options (and more expensive), but I really wanted to M experience.
Appreciate 1
M4Lou414.00
      02-23-2024, 04:07 PM   #6
anthemavm
Captain
Rep
Drives: X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin_The_Clean1 View Post
Great write-up here. I find it hard to get extra time to attend fun events like this. But I would certainly like to go if my schedule lightens up.

Kevin,
The Orange County BMW Owners group does group events at Thermal, half day is like $450. We are headed out next weekend.
Appreciate 1
      02-23-2024, 04:55 PM   #7
95wildtt
Need mo $$s
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X4M Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnfamilyguy2020 View Post
There used to be one in Indy. I want to say it was $1,500 in 2004 and that included a pit pass at the US Grand Prix. I'm pretty it's $1,750 out at Thermal.
BMW has a really impressive new facility at IMS, not sure about M days, but they have been cozying up to the Speedway big time for the past few years.
I think it's related to a larger effort to support the BMW IMSA/Rahal team and their new shop Zionsville that's only about 25 minutes from 16th and Georgetown
https://www.press.bmwgroup.com/usa/a...language=en_US

Looks like it's $2500 per day at Indy, and here's the link to the Experience at IMS:
https://bmwperformancecenter.com/Spe...EaAmlHEALw_wcB
Past: 2020 X3M, 2019 TTS, 2008 X5 4.8 M Sport

Last edited by 95wildtt; 02-23-2024 at 05:02 PM..
Appreciate 0