BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

03-13-2023, 04:14 PM   #1
collinsexton
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 3.0si

Question X3 Sunroof Repair Kit?

Good evening.

I have a 2008 X3 E83 with the panoramic sunroof. The rear glass will tilt up with the front when opening, but won't go down unless I manually close it. From my understanding there is a plastic piece or cable that breaks to cause this.

Has anyone tackled repairing the sunroof cassette rather than replacing it? I see there are repair kits available but I'm not coming across very much instruction on disassembly. I'm trying to debate whether to tackle this job myself or just try to find a used/junkyard assembly to throw in instead.

Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2023, 09:00 AM   #2
Phangnga
Rep
Drives: BMW X3

We are planning to get into our 2007 X3's sunroof in 2024. We are able to successfully raise and close the front glass, and also to open and close the sliding headliner in small 2 or 3 inch movements.

More to come...
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2023, 08:11 AM   #3
SAV456!
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 3X3

Yeah that triangle 📐 shaped slider was rusted on mine... I had to use my screw driver to guide it back to it's starting point. There's a convenient circle ⭕ opening on its bottom.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2023, 08:17 PM   #4
ty-with-the-e83
Registered
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 3.0i N52

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by collinsexton View Post
Good evening.

I have a 2008 X3 E83 with the panoramic sunroof. The rear glass will tilt up with the front when opening, but won't go down unless I manually close it. From my understanding there is a plastic piece or cable that breaks to cause this.

Has anyone tackled repairing the sunroof cassette rather than replacing it? I see there are repair kits available but I'm not coming across very much instruction on disassembly. I'm trying to debate whether to tackle this job myself or just try to find a used/junkyard assembly to throw in instead.

Thank you!
I have the same issue with the rear glass vent opening but not closing, causing the whole sunroof to jam in the open position until manually retracting the wedges on either side of the rear glass. This also causes the initialisation error/issue where the shade and glass move in small increments.

I have not tried repair using a kit, and I think even replacement with a used or junkyard find will require a lot of work, as you have to remove A, B and C pillars, as well as visors, hand rails and headliner to access the cassette. Plus, you run the risk of the replacement cassette having the same issue, as it was pretty common on these cars from what I understand. New cassettes are worth more than the car is at this point too.

I have seen videos where they delete the rear vent by squaring off two plastic clips. I might try that instead of repair or replacement as I can live with the rear vent not opening and the process is easy and documented. :shrug:

Just my two cents!

Last edited by ty-with-the-e83; 12-28-2023 at 08:19 PM.. Reason: Spelling
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2024, 07:13 AM   #5
mr2mike
Rep
Drives: X3

Try the reset and recalibration method.
I think it's good the button pushed towards the front of the vehicle. It'll start moving and adjusting after about a minute of holding, keep holding button till done. If not it's pretty the button in and hold until it does the whole calibration.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2024, 01:13 PM   #6
Autolude
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2009 X3

I just replaced my whole sunroof this past fall. My roof had several issues, including the one your having. I tried some of the repairs kits without much success. I found a used complete sunroof at a local salvage yard for $150. Took some time to remove and replace, but not a complicated job. Much easier then trying to repair the old one in my opinion.
Appreciate 0