BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

11-14-2019, 04:41 PM   #1
docal
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 08 BMW 335i

After market Wheels

There are a myriad of choices and wheels for my winter set up. Can you all give me some advice on choosing a high-quality 19 inch wheel for my winter tires on my now ordered X3 M4.0 which will be Nokian R 3 SUV's but I don't want to go much north of a grand for a set. I'm told 8.5 width is important for strength. , yet BMWUSA has there OEM's with a width of 7.5 inches which seems chintzy.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2019, 04:56 PM   #2
Rover Haven
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3

I just bought a set of Beyern Ritz wheels for my snow tires (also went with Hakka R3's). This company only makes wheels for BMW's, which I thought was cool. Not sure if you could get in for under a thousand bucks though.

There's a massive thread on winter setups where you could no doubt get a lot of other ideas. Good luck.

Appreciate 0
      11-14-2019, 05:39 PM   #3
arciga18
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: LeMans/ Chestnut E90, RWD

Did you already order the Nokians
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2019, 06:00 PM   #4
dkreidel
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: a lot of BMW's

Quote:
Originally Posted by arciga18 View Post
Select your tire of choice first (and make sure they're in stock as Nokian is infamous for long, National backorders). No need to go to 8.5"; 7.5 or 8 is fine.

245/50 is a good size, 235/55 works too.
      11-15-2019, 03:11 AM   #5
808ron
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rover Haven View Post
I just bought a set of Beyern Ritz wheels for my snow tires (also went with Hakka R3's). This company only makes wheels for BMW's, which I thought was cool. Not sure if you could get in for under a thousand bucks though.

There's a massive thread on winter setups where you could no doubt get a lot of other ideas. Good luck.

Post pics when you mount them!
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2019, 03:37 AM   #6
X3M40i_Nev
Straight Six Convert
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i

Garage List
2018 Mini JCW  [10.00]
2019 BMW X3 M40i  [10.00]
Quote:

[img]
View post on imgur.com
[/img]
Another manufacturer that only does wheels for BMW/Mini - Autec. I got some Black Kitano's that fit perfectly as recommended by teaston
Attached Images

11-15-2019, 04:30 AM   #7
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d

Quote:
Originally Posted by X3M40i_Nev View Post
Quote:

[img]
View post on imgur.com
[/img]
Another manufacturer that only does wheels for BMW/Mini - Autec. I got some Black Kitano's that fit perfectly as recommended by teaston
Pick mine up later today!
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2019, 04:56 AM   #8
X3M40i_Nev
Straight Six Convert
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i

Garage List
2018 Mini JCW  [10.00]
2019 BMW X3 M40i  [10.00]
Nice one ☝️
      11-15-2019, 09:55 AM   #9
harperium
Major
Rep
Drives: G80 M3cx

Quote:
Originally Posted by docal View Post
There are a myriad of choices and wheels for my winter set up. Can you all give me some advice on choosing a high-quality 19 inch wheel for my winter tires on my now ordered X3 M4.0 which will be Nokian R 3 SUV's but I don't want to go much north of a grand for a set. I'm told 8.5 width is important for strength. , yet BMWUSA has there OEM's with a width of 7.5 inches which seems chintzy.
I'm in Chicago - I assume you are from your Profile?

Are winter tires really needed for Chicago? I'm in the city, and the number of miles I drive on on actual snow/ice each winter is probably less than 5.

As far as I can tell, ultra high performance all seasons like Pilot Sport A/S 3+ or Conti DWS06 perform better than winters/snows on cold-wet or cold-dry surfaces, which is 99.99% of my driving.

This research is 10 years old, but is still basically the same today:

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...parison-tests/

I cannot find any research where winters/snows are compared against all-seasons on cold-wet or cold-dry - they only compare on actual snow and ice.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2019, 04:45 PM   #10
tlamoreaux
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW x3

2013 bmw x3

Can anyone confirm these are actually BMW OEM Wheels? TIA.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-15-2019, 05:38 PM   #11
HollyM
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i - on order!

I bought OZ Hyper GT HLT's for my Winter set up, with Nokian R3 tires
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-15-2019, 07:24 PM   #12
docal
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
They only have Three in whole country. No further production planned. So that's that for Nokian. What a weird company to run out of goods at the beginning of their busy season.?
Appreciate 1
arciga181728.50
      11-15-2019, 07:26 PM   #13
docal
Private First Class
Rep

You are so right

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkreidel View Post
Quote:
Select your tire of choice first (and make sure they're in stock as Nokian is infamous for long, National backorders). No need to go to 8.5"; 7.5 or 8 is fine.

245/50 is a good size, 235/55 works too.
hey only have Three in whole country. No further production planned. So that's that for Nokian. What a weird company to run out of goods at the beginning of their busy season.?
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2019, 07:30 PM   #14
docal
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by harperium View Post
Quote:

Are winter tires really needed for Chicago? I'm in the city, and the number of miles I drive on on actual snow/ice each winter is probably less than 5.

As far as I can tell, ultra high performance all seasons like Pilot Sport A/S 3+ or Conti DWS06 perform better than winters/snows on cold-wet or cold-dry surfaces, which is 99.99% of my driving.

I cannot find any research where winters/snows are compared against all-seasons on cold-wet or cold-dry - they only compare on actual snow and ice.
Had the Pilot Sport A/S 3's on my 335i and couldn't get up a shallow incline when the first snow hit. Useless in snow and ice. Put Michelin Ice's on and it tracked better than my 4 Runner.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2019, 07:36 PM   #15
syuan92
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 BMW X3 M40i

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Had the Pilot Sport A/S 3's on my 335i and couldn't get up a shallow incline when the first snow hit. Useless in snow and ice. Put Michelin Ice's on and it tracked better than my 4 Runner.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Damn, if that's the case, I'll probably end up shelling out some $$$ and get a dedicated summer set and some winters for the OEM 19s
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2019, 07:46 PM   #16
arciga18
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: LeMans/ Chestnut E90, RWD

Pm sent ; check out the classifieds
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2019, 07:33 AM   #17
harperium
Major
Rep
Drives: G80 M3cx

Quote:
An incline? In Chicago?

Did you have the A/S 3 or the A/S 3+?

The cold wet/dry grip of the A/S 3+ is pretty good.
Appreciate 0