BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

06-28-2022, 03:38 PM   #1
handymanuk
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW IX3 M Sport Pro

Adaptive Re-gen

I’ve tried using the adaptive mode for regenerative braking in D mode but I just can’t get on with it. Every time it feels like I’m going to drive into the back of someone or go through a junction. I’ve been using B mode instead as it’s predictable. Any tips or tricks on how to get used to D in adaptive mode?
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2022, 03:56 PM   #2
RedJon
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW iX3 MSport Pro

You do need to use the brake pedal in adaptive mode, especially in town. It’s better out of town though because it doesn’t slow you down too much, causing you to have to use more power accelerating.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2022, 04:13 AM   #3
keninuk
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: iX3 M Sport Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by handymanuk View Post
I’ve tried using the adaptive mode for regenerative braking in D mode but I just can’t get on with it. Every time it feels like I’m going to drive into the back of someone or go through a junction. I’ve been using B mode instead as it’s predictable. Any tips or tricks on how to get used to D in adaptive mode?
I find D+Adaptive behaves almost identically to the automatic I had in my previous car except it has the advantage of doing some of the braking/slowing down for me when approaching traffic ahead which I find beneficial.

B mode as you have found is much more like driving a go kart in that it will slow you down based on how much you lift off with no regard for whether the road ahead is clear or not. The main benefit of this mode or me is that it will bring me to a complete stop without the use of the brake pedal. Also there is no need to keep the brake pedal pressed to remain stationary in traffic. The down side is that you tend to lose too much speed/distance from the car in front and have to keep accelerating again.

Around town or when I don't have my partner in the car I will stick it in B mode but for day to day driving in+out of town I stick with D+Adaptive as I find this the smoothest experience and pretty much an enhanced version of what I have been used to since I started driving autos several years ago.

We haven't reached self driving yet so I am afraid we still have to keep an eye on the road and brake+extra brake as required.

If you haven't done so already you could try playing with some of the cruise control options as these work well in traffic and can bring you to a halt behind a stopped vehicle in front and start off automatically when it moves off.

I have switched to Android Auto for navigation but I think if you are navigating using the BMW navigation it will slow down coming to roundabouts without traffic in front of you. To be honest I can't remember whether this worked or not but in D+Adaptive you still have to treat it like a standard auto and be ready to use the brake pedal at regular intervals.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2022, 08:23 AM   #4
DaveCV
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: iX3 Premier

BMW has obviously concluded that D mode is more efficient than one pedal driving given that i3 only has this mode of operation.

I agree that D mode takes a bit of getting used to. Approaching a junction with the navigation system set, the car will coast where possible before applying regenerative braking. General driving does require some use of the brake pedal to apply some regenerative braking when, say, slowing down for a corner.

I confess that I tend to default to B mode around town and D everywhere else.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2022, 10:01 AM   #5
Lazy Lee
Private
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMW iX3 Exec, BMW i3s Exec

Had to get used to the Adaptive part as well, but if you start to use it all the time it actually becomes very predictable. And indeed it works really well to get consumption down, coasting when possible and only applying regen when it's useful.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2022, 11:31 AM   #6
EVFan
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: iX3 MS Pro 2022

I will no doubt try adaptive mode, but after 4 years driving with max regen, I might need quite a bit of weaning off B mode.
I do find it quite strange these days whenever I drive an ICE car that coasts, so adaptive mode might not do it for me. We shall see when my car arrives I guess
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2022, 11:43 AM   #7
Mobeam
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: iX3 Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVFan View Post
I will no doubt try adaptive mode, but after 4 years driving with max regen, I might need quite a bit of weaning off B mode.
I do find it quite strange these days whenever I drive an ICE car that coasts, so adaptive mode might not do it for me. We shall see when my car arrives I guess
Take care... so used to B mode that a sudden change in jumping into my partners auto Fiesta the other day nearly put me into the back of the guy in front !!
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2022, 03:15 PM   #8
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Are you guys experimenting with the different regen' settings for D mode. Is the difference noticeable?
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2022, 03:26 AM   #9
Colh68
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobeam View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by EVFan View Post
Take care... so used to B mode that a sudden change in jumping into my partners auto Fiesta the other day nearly put me into the back of the guy in front !!
Ha! I always use B but forgot the other morning and almost crashed into my garage!
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2022, 04:24 AM   #10
EVFan
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: iX3 MS Pro 2022

I always leave home with 100% SOC so I guess I am used to subconsciously anticipating lower regen levels at the start of my journey.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2022, 07:04 AM   #11
keninuk
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: iX3 M Sport Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
Are you guys experimenting with the different regen' settings for D mode. Is the difference noticeable?
Out of curiosity I tried each of the low, medium and high settings in quick succession and they sit at noticeably different levels between coasting and B although without testing further, high and B could be very similar although high will not bring you to a standstill as it is a D mode.

It was only a quick test but due to the faff of changing it once the setting screen is not front and centre I am sure I would keep thinking a different level of re-gen would be more appropriate than the one I am currently in. They are of course consistent so may suit some people.

The other thing I noticed was without keeping the throttle steady I was having to apply it to get my speed back which is obviously less efficient. I guess if I didn't use D+Adaptive most of the time or used B mode more often then my right foot might be less twitchy/lazy.

For me personally I don't think they add anything and will stick to D+Adaptive and shoving into B for instant brake free slow down or when I fancy a bit of one pedal driving.
Appreciate 1
      07-04-2022, 04:11 AM   #12
handymanuk
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW IX3 M Sport Pro

Thanks all. I was under the impression that B mode was the best mode to be in to maximise regeneration and ultimately range, is that not the case?

Looks like it's not just me then! I love the one pedal driving so I'll probably stick with B mode.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2022, 01:57 PM   #13
The shadow
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M4CP

Out in the country I doubt very much b mode will be more efficient than adaptive, as an example if your going down a hill you can’t lift off the pedal in b mode
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2022, 04:38 PM   #14
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by The shadow View Post
Out in the country I doubt very much b mode will be more efficient than adaptive, as an example if your going down a hill you can’t lift off the pedal in b mode
What do you mean by you can't lift off the pedal?

Would you want to, unless you want to stop? If it is holding/controlling a speed on a descent, it will be regenerating as much as is possible.

My understanding, you want to avoid as much friction braking as is possible, in all driving situations.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2022, 07:01 AM   #15
Colh68
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by The shadow View Post
Out in the country I doubt very much b mode will be more efficient than adaptive, as an example if your going down a hill you can't lift off the pedal in b mode
Why would you want to lift off? You soon get the hang of positioning your foot so you coast (needle in the middle) or brake just enough to stay in the speed limit. Maybe it's easier if you spent 5 years in an i3 like I did and you had no choice, but I never use anything but B as I feel far more in control than in D.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2022, 10:12 AM   #16
The shadow
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M4CP

You can’t coast freely in b mode your right what you are saying about ‘lifting off’ and holding the needle.
I do the same journey (town to town)every week and have obviously done both modes depending on my preference. Adaptive has always been the winner on efficiency.
I am happy to use either mode
Appreciate 0