BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

06-19-2022, 01:56 PM   #1
hollpe
Second Lieutenant
England
Rep
Drives: BMW iX3 M Sport

Tyre Wear

My car has covered about 4100 miles now and I checked the tyre tread depth this evening. The fronts have 6.5mm and the rears 5.5mmm. I check the pressures most weeks so they have always been at the recommended level.

Based on those readings and assuming 8mm from new, that will be roughly 10k miles on the rears before they get to around 2mm and need replacing. I'll probably rotate them when I refit them after the winters go on later this year.

What is your tyre wear like? In terms of my driving style in this car it's not being driven within an inch of it's life very often. It's normally laden with kids. Most of the journeys are fairly sedate!
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2022, 02:29 AM   #2
verysideways
Lateral grip estimator
Rep
Drives: i4, M2

Garage List
Do you spend a lot of time in B?

If you're mostly doing one pedal driving then all your acceleration and the majority of your braking are being handled by the rear tyres - that will inevitably have an impact on wear.

What tyres are they? Mine's on Yokohamas and they do seem to be on the soft side. Great for grip and actually quite fun to chuck around... but that won't help wear either :-)
'02 Morgan Aero 8
http://petrolhead.tours
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2022, 03:49 AM   #3
hollpe
Second Lieutenant
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by verysideways View Post
Do you spend a lot of time in B?

If you're mostly doing one pedal driving then all your acceleration and the majority of your braking are being handled by the rear tyres - that will inevitably have an impact on wear.

What tyres are they? Mine's on Yokohamas and they do seem to be on the soft side. Great for grip and actually quite fun to chuck around... but that won't help wear either :-)
That's a very good point! I do spend most of my time in B mode, which probably does explain the wear. It's also carrying a fair bit of weight as well! Mine is on Yoko's as well and like you say they are soft but fun to chuck around!

All in all with servicing & overall running costs being significantly lower than an ICE car I'm ok with the tyres needing replacing more quickly.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2022, 08:30 AM   #4
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollpe View Post
That's a very good point! I do spend most of my time in B mode, which probably does explain the wear. It's also carrying a fair bit of weight as well! Mine is on Yoko's as well and like you say they are soft but fun to chuck around!

All in all with servicing & overall running costs being significantly lower than an ICE car I'm ok with the tyres needing replacing more quickly.
May be worth checking what the new tread depth is for the tyres fitted. Not all tyres come with 8mm of tread.

BTW, front wear for a RWD vehicle, does also seem excessive for the mileage.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2022, 09:03 AM   #5
hollpe
Second Lieutenant
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
May be worth checking what the new tread depth is for the tyres fitted. Not all tyres come with 8mm of tread.

BTW, front wear for a RWD vehicle, does also seem excessive for the mileage.
I'm popping to the dealers on Friday so I'll get them to check them. It could be my depth gauge isn't accurate. I will report back!
Appreciate 1
      06-29-2022, 11:32 AM   #6
Mobeam
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: iX3 Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollpe View Post
I'm popping to the dealers on Friday so I'll get them to check them. It could be my depth gauge isn't accurate. I will report back!
Hi Hollpe, just wondered if your dealer checked the tyre wear and what findings i.e milage v tyre depth etc
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2022, 01:28 PM   #7
hollpe
Second Lieutenant
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobeam View Post
Hi Hollpe, just wondered if your dealer checked the tyre wear and what findings i.e milage v tyre depth etc
Hi Mobeam,

Thanks for the reminder to update you all on this! Not sure where the time is going at the moment!

Anyway...... I took it in. The alignment is spot on as were the pressures and the tyre wear is even across all 4 tyres. 6.7mm on the fronts and 5.6mm on the rears.

Most of my journeys these days are the school run of 7 miles(which is completely flat) and I also take the dogs out to the Peak District as well (8 miles). This involves a very steep hill out and back again to our village (3/4 mile long and quite windy). The school run journey won't be doing much to the tyres but I suspect the daily up and down the hill is.

Out of interest we also checked one iX and another iX3 (demo cars) both with similar mileage to mine and the rears on those were about 5.8 & 5.9mm respectively and the fronts about 7.2mm. So it would appear that increased tyre wear is not necessarily unusual.

I'm sure if I was doing my previous 20k+ miles a year on the motorway the wear would be significantly better. The massive torque available immediately in the EVs along with the heavy regeneration in B mode, is clearly having an effect! As I mentioned in a previous post I'm kinda ok with that as the other running costs are extremely low.

Has anyone else measured theirs recently?

Cheers

Last edited by hollpe; 06-29-2022 at 01:49 PM..
Appreciate 3