BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

06-07-2022, 03:25 AM   #1
Russed
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW iX3

New OTA software update

Got notification of a new OTA software update this morning both the app and in the car.

It is taking ages to install and the release notes are fairly cryptic as normal.

Screen grab attached of the release notes from the app below - ‘electric motor improvement’!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-07-2022, 04:17 AM   #2
ggla
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 G01 MSport Plus

Just noticed it, it I’ll download when back on Wi-Fi, or does it download for free directly to the car?
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2022, 04:29 AM   #3
Russed
United Kingdom
Rep

It looks like both are options.

It has 22% downloaded in the car while driving (I live in a signal black hole so has stopped when at home). I have also downloaded on my phone but I am struggling to get it to transfer across from there!
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2022, 04:57 AM   #4
GDEvans
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: iX3

My app is saying "No remote upgrade available". Very strange.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2022, 05:07 AM   #5
hollpe
Second Lieutenant
England
Rep
Drives: BMW iX3 M Sport

Mine has just finished updating. I'll report back once I've had a chance to work out if anything obvious has changed!
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2022, 06:07 AM   #6
keninuk
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: iX3 M Sport Pro

I noticed an upgrade message in the car after dropping my partner at the station. Version 03/2022.52

I popped in the house and downloaded the upgrade on my phone but noticed in the release notes it stated that for Android Auto connected phones they have to be disconnected from the WiFi connection in the vehicle. I downloaded the upgrade to my other android phone which is only hooked up via Bluetooth which also only took a couple of minutes in the hope this would save me disconnecting my main phone to do the software upload via the phone.

I headed out to the car and once I got to the software update screen in the settings the car stated it was 87% downloaded and within about a minute it finished and stated I needed to be parked for about 20 minutes for the upgrade to take place. It said I could lock and leave the car so it seems that provided you have an internet connection the car will download the upgrade without having to do anything on the MyBMW app at all. The upgrade once downloaded can be scheduled for later if you are not ready.

The MyBMW app knew the car had completed the upload and changed the instruction to continue the in the car.

23 minutes later the MyBMW app sent a notification that it has finished the upgrade and having just popped out to the car it all seems done and dusted. It took a few seconds to boot up iDrive and I had to select OK on the software update screen. I also had to unlock my Android Auto connected phone and select continue in iDrive but the Android Auto connection was still fine.

Sometimes I believe settings can be reset so I checked the AC charge current and that was still at 32A.

Nice to know the car will update itself without having to mess about with the MyBMW app and have the phone upload the software to the car while driving.

I will keep an eye out for any improvements/changes and hopefully nothing gets broken as mine has been great since I took delivery at the beginning of March.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2022, 06:33 AM   #7
pjm807
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: iX3, i3, GS1200

Is this the OTA software upgrade to enable Android Auto and Apple Carplay, or is there another for this??
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2022, 07:39 AM   #8
GDEvans
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjm807 View Post
Is this the OTA software upgrade to enable Android Auto and Apple Carplay, or is there another for this??
I'm not sure whether that is the case. But be aware that you need to get the dealer to install the wifi software update first. This will allow the Carplay OTA update to work.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2022, 08:17 AM   #9
pjm807
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: iX3, i3, GS1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDEvans View Post
I'm not sure whether that is the case. But be aware that you need to get the dealer to install the wifi software update first. This will allow the Carplay OTA update to work.
Thanks. I will keep an eye out for the OTA. My iX3 which was affected by the change of chip in the head unit, was delivered with WIFI enabled by the dealer, however, still waiting for Android Auto to appear in the Apps menu.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2022, 10:09 AM   #10
DaveCV
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: iX3 Premier

Downloaded automatically for me when I was out and about today. I initiated install after I came off a rapid: installation took about 20 minutes. Range pre-update was showing 255 miles. Post update, the range dropped to 198 miles!

I assume that this update includes all the technical enhancements that previously required dealer intervention?
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2022, 11:08 AM   #11
the_ape
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 225xe / iX3 Premier Pro

Yeah this is just the OTA version of 03/2022, so if dealer has already done it you won't get it offered.
Appreciate 1
DaveCV37.00
      06-07-2022, 02:54 PM   #12
JAV64
Private First Class
Rep

Took my my car in as it there was recall for software upgrade. Its now showing version 03 22.57. This is first upgrade since i got the car back in August, Its the Premier Pro. I had a quick look around and to be honest did not see much of a difference.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2022, 03:27 PM   #13
adam.b
Lieutenant
Rep

Did it fix voice control of climate control, my keep saying "function not available" when ask to change temperature or switch on heated seats (premier edition). Works fine on G20 tested today.
Told by service update coming soon to fix it.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2022, 04:38 PM   #14
the_ape
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 225xe / iX3 Premier Pro

Yeah, worst thing on mine is it says doesn't u dersyand, but does it anyway on my car.. Strange, not like I ever use the voice stuff anyhow though, just easiest way to set rear temp when kids are in there
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2022, 12:42 AM   #15
TrevJD
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW IX3

Carried out my update last night without any issues. Charged up over night, 260 miles of range this morning the most I've ever seen, maybe some energy efficiency improvements ? Also noted that the range guessometer seems to work better whilst driving (that may just be wishful thinking haha).

My driveway is on an incline and I would experience the loud knocking from the drivetrain when engaging reverse/drive, that also seems to have been fixed.

Haven't noticed anything else at the moment, early days though.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2022, 02:06 AM   #16
DaveCV
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevJD View Post
Carried out my update last night without any issues. Charged up over night, 260 miles of range this morning the most I've ever seen, maybe some energy efficiency improvements ? Also noted that the range guessometer seems to work better whilst driving (that may just be wishful thinking haha).
Logically, that should and does happen. The predicted range after a charge is based on previous trips and range adjusts to take into account the real World when driving. For example, a long spell driving at 50mph through roadworks will see an increase in miles/kWh which, in turn, will be shown as maximum range falling less quickly (that is, an overall increase in range). Similarly, if it pours down as it did here last night and wipers; lights etc are used and there is increased rolling resistance due to wet roads then expect predicted range to fall.

I have had situations when I was driving my old i3 of seeing the range left increase!

As I put in another post yesterday, after carrying out the upgrade on a fully charged car yesterday afternoon, the maximum range fell from 240 or so miles to 198. This morning it shows 207. Make that of it will.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2022, 03:05 AM   #17
GDEvans
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
My driveway is on an incline and I would experience the loud knocking from the drivetrain when engaging reverse/drive, that also seems to have been fixed.
I've had 03/2022.30 for a while now. No effect on the loud clunk.

I spoke to the dealer about it. The guy on the desk looked worried and grabbed one of the mechanics. He explained that it's a common issue that all BMW EVs have; it was common in the i3. When you park on a dead end slope (eg driveway), the vehicle moves slightly when the handbrake is engaged. Then when you engage the opposite gear to leave, the "gearbox" is slightly out of alignment and clunks when it engages.

He did say it is normal and nothing to worry about.
Appreciate 1
TrevJD1.50
      06-08-2022, 05:46 AM   #18
Lazy Lee
Private
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMW iX3 Exec, BMW i3s Exec

This morning finally got a notification as well. 03/2022.52 now downloading. It's the first update for my car. All that time it still was on 03/2021.63. Curious!
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2022, 08:08 AM   #19
DaveCV
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazy Lee View Post
This morning finally got a notification as well. 03/2022.52 now downloading. It's the first update for my car. All that time it still was on 03/2021.63. Curious!
Curious - yes: exciting - no. I have just driven 150 miles this morning and apart from some strange things happening to the estimated remaining range, I haven’t noticed anything different.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2022, 10:29 AM   #20
TrevJD
United Kingdom
Rep

[/QUOTE]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveCV View Post
Quote:
Logically, that should and does happen. The predicted range after a charge is based on previous trips and range adjusts to take into account the real World when driving. For example, a long spell driving at 50mph through roadworks will see an increase in miles/kWh which, in turn, will be shown as maximum range falling less quickly (that is, an overall increase in range). Similarly, if it pours down as it did here last night and wipers; lights etc are used and there is increased rolling resistance due to wet roads then expect predicted range to fall.

I have had situations when I was driving my old i3 of seeing the range left increase!

As I put in another post yesterday, after carrying out the upgrade on a fully charged car yesterday afternoon, the maximum range fell from 240 or so miles to 198. This morning it shows 207. Make that of it will.
Yeah I'm aware of how the system calculates predicted range in regard to environmental conditions, driving style, traffic conditions etc. My point was I have never seen my range so high and maybe the update has introduced some efficiency improvements.
Since my original post I have noted that switching between sport and comfort modes has the range prediction where I would have expected to see pre update, but switching to eco pro mode now makes a instant difference of about +30 miles which it didn't do previously and this was the mode the vehicle was in after charging.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2022, 10:36 AM   #21
TrevJD
United Kingdom
Rep

[/QUOTE]
Quote:
Originally Posted by GDEvans View Post
Quote:
I've had 03/2022.30 for a while now. No effect on the loud clunk.

I spoke to the dealer about it. The guy on the desk looked worried and grabbed one of the mechanics. He explained that it's a common issue that all BMW EVs have; it was common in the i3. When you park on a dead end slope (eg driveway), the vehicle moves slightly when the handbrake is engaged. Then when you engage the opposite gear to leave, the "gearbox" is slightly out of alignment and clunks when it engages.

He did say it is normal and nothing to worry about.
Thanks for the information. I'll look forward to hearing it again soon☹️
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2022, 01:24 PM   #22
JAV64
Private First Class
Rep

It's made no difference to the range. When I picked the car up last August it showed 249 miles. Never seen that number since!
Appreciate 0