BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

05-07-2022, 12:18 PM   #1
Mogwai888
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: iX3

Interested in the IX3, what made you choose it over other EVs?

Hi all

Been reading the posts on this forum with interest and the IX3 is on my shortlist of 2. The other being a Model Y.

As a serial BMW owner, the familiarity of the IX3 is quite compelling, especially compared with the MY which centres around a big screen for most of the controls .

After an extended test drive in an IX3 and 2 x 30 minute test drives in the MY I am erring on the IX3 M Sport Pro.

For me the IX3 vs the MY
- The IX3 is a nicer place to be, especially in M Sport Pro spec
- The IX3 rides and handles better
- MY is AWD, IX3 is RWD
- MY is very quick, the IX3 has more than adequate power
- MY seems to have better range, IX3 decent range
- MY is slightly cheaper to get - £50/m

On power and range, my useage profile and I will have the option to charge from home means although Tesla Supercharger network would be useful it’s not that important to me.

So heart currently says IX3, head is MY as cheaper and more than good enough for being the family wagon. If only they made a dual motor IX3 albeit range would probably suffer.

Whilst the decision is mine to make, genuinely interested in what cars you have considered and what ultimately made you go with the IX3?

Thanks

Last edited by Mogwai888; 05-07-2022 at 01:12 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2022, 01:18 PM   #2
edwardgb1111
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW iX3 M Sport Pro 2022

I chose the iX3 (should get delivery in July) to replace my X3 20d MSport.

I wanted another diesel but the iX3 was cheaper per month and now I’m glad it was. I believe the Tesla is the better EV (range, software, charging network etc), it is just very dull to look at (imo).

Also, being an initially hesitant EV convert, I like the fact the iX3 looks like an ICE car.

Whichever you choose I know you’ll be happy.
Appreciate 1
      05-07-2022, 01:27 PM   #3
Mogwai888
Private First Class
Rep

Thanks Edward, this would be my first EV so I totally get the looks and feel of an ICE car. This is a major factor for me too.

Not too long a wait for you now 😊
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2022, 01:47 PM   #4
JAV64
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW iX3

Hi i upgraded from the i3s. From what I've heard from others the Tesla does not ride as well nor is it quiet as the iX3. For techonolgy and range Tesla cannot be beaten. For quality and finish it has to be the iX3. Both in their own way are good cars. Good luck!
Appreciate 1
      05-07-2022, 02:37 PM   #5
Rathian
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: iX3 M Sport

Garage List
2022 BMW iX3  [0.00]
I have an iX3 on order which is expected to be delivered at the end of July. When driving I love being encased in a cockpit. The iX3 feels a perfect fit and was a fantastic place to sit when I test drove it. The car was both familiar as a regular BMW owner, felt small considering the size and was plenty quick enough for UK roads. The range 99% of the time will be no issues as it will do my 75 mile round trip commute with plenty to spare.

I never gave a Tesla a serious look as I hate everything being behind a touchscreen and having no binnacle in front of the steering wheel.

I drove my sister's ID4 and was left totally underwhelmed by the infotainment system and hated the touch panels that bizarrely aren't backlit so we're useless in the dark. The car, although sized similar to an iX3 felt like a barge from the driver's seat.

I was looking at a second hand X3 diesel but the monthlies were almost the same as a brand new iX3 and with everything going EV the iX3 felt the perfect car to fit my needs with the interior I love.
      05-07-2022, 03:00 PM   #6
ggla
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 G01 MSport Plus

For me coming from an x3 it was a logical move, I like the size, boot space etc. looks aren’t for everyone but I like it especially the facelift. Price on the lease/work scheme was very good. I don’t like the looks of any of the teslas and the boots wouldn’t really work for me. The range is pretty good too.

Very happy I got it, wouldn’t change my choice at the moment. The ride quality is excellent.
Appreciate 1
      05-08-2022, 01:08 AM   #7
the_ape
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 225xe / iX3 Premier Pro

Had 3 BMW's before picking my pro up, so happy with network and interior.

That being said before I got mine I tested a Model S and X (Y wasn't out in UK yet, but having been in friends it certainly wouldn't have been in the running)

Both the Tesla's build quality, cabin and controls were, well to be blunt, crap. Noise was pretty high inside at motorway speeds too. Handling was boring to say the least and damping is very American feeling, fun to launch but that's all IMPO.

Jag was a nice drive, but terrible infotainment system, and old feeling interior (and terrible reputation for reliability) and suspension felt a bit 'crashy'

Merc was nice if a little too Merc, if that makes sense, but was my close second choice.

Audi was nice, but uber expensive if you get any of the options.

So stuck with the iX3, not as fast as the tesla's and the Jag. But has a nice cabin, decent sound system, quiet and good dealer network. Oh and I got 1% Apr on finance, so helped too.
Appreciate 2
Rathian153.50
      05-08-2022, 02:19 AM   #8
SpaceRock
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

I sold my model 3 after 3 months and used the money to get the ix3, it was the best decision I could have made.

The ix3 is more luxurious, a nice place to be in, as you said, handles better, everything that's meant to work - works, I'm talking about the wipers working like they should, easy entry…cruise control… door handles… oh and you can even adjust the headrest in the ix3, you get the point. But on the flip side, if you are a fan of the brand, enjoy minimalistic design and a fully touch screen operated car (even for the window wipers) and can put up with some of the issues (like the windshield wipers not adjusting speed properly or the easy entry not working 40% of the time then you'll actually enjoy it, because it's very fast, has a very good superior charging network and has 4x4 if that's something you'd benefit from.

I personally have a very low tolerance of nonsense so the issues and bugs of the car made me sell it, but I understand that some might have a bigger tolerance and might be able to find workarounds for the issues and for them the car will work very well, so I'd suggest test driving it a few more times to see if you can live with the tesla.
Appreciate 3
      05-08-2022, 04:43 AM   #9
Mogwai888
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAV64 View Post
For quality and finish it has to be the iX3.
This. Logical move up for you Jav from an IX3 into a bigger package 😊

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rathian View Post
I have an iX3 on order which is expected to be delivered at the end of July.
…….
I drove my sister's ID4 and was left totally underwhelmed…..
Not too long a wait for you now 😊. Great insight on the ID4, enquired about a GTX and was told 18 months lead time and local dealer only had a single motor so didn’t pursue further!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggla View Post
For me coming from an x3 it was a logical move, I like the size, boot space etc. looks aren’t for everyone but I like it especially the facelift. Price on the lease/work scheme was very good. I don’t like the looks of any of the teslas and the boots wouldn’t really work for me. The range is pretty good too.

Very happy I got it, wouldn’t change my choice at the moment. The ride quality is excellent.
This pretty sums up my thoughts 😊

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_ape View Post
Had 3 BMW's before picking my pro up, so happy with network and interior.

That being said before I got mine I tested a Model S and X……

Jag was a nice drive, but terrible infotainment system, and old feeling interior (and terrible reputation for reliability) and suspension felt a bit 'crashy'

Merc was nice if a little too Merc, if that makes sense, but was my close second choice.

Audi was nice, but uber expensive if you get any of the options.
……
great insight the ape! The Jag is a logical comparison but felt it’s been out a while so didn’t consider it, but not sure battery tech has really improved, main issue was more JLR perceived reliability issues…. For me the Mercs and Audi don’t seem to have as good range and with less power.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceRock View Post
I sold my model 3 after 3 months and used the money to get the ix3, it was the best decision I could have made.

The ix3 is more luxurious, a nice place to be in….

………. so I'd suggest test driving it a few more times to see if you can live with the tesla.
SpaceRock thanks for sharing your experience, you’ve gone one better in actually living with a Tesla for 3 months. Arranging an extended test drive was a chore, and only could get 2 x 30 minute session so my wife and I could drive it back to back. My local known BMW dealer let me have the IX3 for a day. To be honest, I don’t think spending any more time in the MY would change my views, it’s a car you have to get use to, controls and all, whereas the IX3 you pretty much step in and go, only difference is the charging. Agree IX3 is far more luxurious

Appreciate you all sharing your journey as I know these are personal.
Appreciate 1
Rathian153.50
      05-08-2022, 07:17 AM   #10
Archer-s
Captain
Rep
Drives: on order

I tested the Tesla M3, Audi Q4 and Jag iPace before ordering the iX3, I didn't manage to get much time in any of them, but based on feedback since, pretty sure I made the right choice.

Firstly the Tesla is a great BEV, really easy to use, goes further due to less weight and ridiculously fast. However it is not a Luxury brand, the final level of finishing leaves something to be desired, the NVH is high and dynamic nature of the company is both it's greatest weakness and strength. The 3 items I see Tesla owners at work complain about is monthly charge for infotainment, the lack of CarPlay or android auto and finally phantom braking with autopilot.

Second up is the iPace, I'd say at the higher end this is a more Luxurious car, I had the option to get one with air suspension and top seats, but the list of items missing was longer than my arm. For sure the tech is more awkward but better than it use to be, it's probably got all the same features, just not as well implemented. The 2 killers ended up being the heated windscreen at night and reliability, seen a few owners at work complain the tech will break down like an Alfa Romeo. This is still a close 2nd for me, even with all of the above.

The Audi was probably the worse, I feel like they've cut some serious corners in the Q4's quality, probably paying for Diesel Gate! Everything else in the Q4 is great, but the Luxury touch was missing, might as well buy the VW/Skoda as they are better value.

Since I've also compared with the EQC, think you need to go for the premium plus to match the tech, the ride is better due to the air suspension, it feels and drives like a Merc, which has never been my preference, more boat like, some love it.

The happiest owners appear to be the Hyundai Ionic 5, there's got to be something there for anyone looking now, also the Genisis Gv70 should be good contenders in this space.

Back to the iX3, I'd say it's got just enough of everything to make it a great all rounder. The Luxury is great with pano roof, acoustic glass and leather dash. The speed is more then enough for everyday, and it has just enough character in the handling to have fun. Finally the tech works away effortlessly, making driving soo easy, even getting stuck in a jam isn't much bother. Downsides, Audio isn't as great as it should be, and could do with a frunk, both of which are nit picking, loving mines the more I drive it
Appreciate 2
Rathian153.50
      05-08-2022, 09:38 AM   #11
keninuk
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: iX3 M Sport Pro

I was looking for an EV (possibly a PHEV) to replace an ageing Jaguar XF Sportbrake.

The Tesla Model 3/Y(not available when I was looking) were considerations but having sat in a Model 3 I just couldn't see myself living with one but if range was an issue and I needed to drive on a daily basis then the Tesla's and the Super Charger network make a compelling case for themselves.

Sat in a Kia EV6 at a dealer presentation and the vehicle was a mix of the top 2 trim levels but like the Tesla, it just seemed and felt cheap.

I considered and test drove:

Polestar 2 - With Performance Pack and without on a second test drive
Fast car, Android Automotive is extremely interesting but not there yet in my opinion and having looked at the Polestar Forum at length, there are some new car/model issues that need to get ironed out. Polestar will certainly be worth another look for me when the 4 arrives as I think it will address a lot of the issues I have with the 2.

Range Rover Evoque
It's a nice vehicle but I really couldn't live with charging it pretty much every time I used it and to get all the bits I had on my Jaguar it was not far off the price of the iX3.

Audi Q4 E-Tron
The lunch snacks at the launch event were excellent but it couldn't hide the fact that this really is a VW with some expensive (mainly cosmetic) bits added to it. I had another test drive at my local dealer to try some things out but the infotainment and where Audi were going with it gave me cause for concern. I was also not happy about the security of the Keyless entry.

Jaguar i-Pace
Having been very happy with my XF and the service department I couldn't really place an order for the iX3 without taking a look at the i-Pace. Sales experience was less than satisfactory and to be honest I was pretty underwhelmed by the i-Pace and having had some limited and concerning experience of both the Incontrol Touch Pro and Pivi Pro infotainment systems from courtesy cars/test drives I felt I would pass on the I-Pace and the cost with the same equipment (although it is faster/AWD etc) as the M Sport Pro was getting close to £80K!

BMW iX3 Premier Pro (Pre LCI)
This was for me a very good overall package apart from a lack of bass with the Harman Kardon System (sorted out after purchase) but as it stood it wasn't quite right for me to place an order. As soon as the M Sport Pro was announced I had another test drive in the Premier Pro to check a few things out and ordered on the basis of knowing what the changes were.

For me the iX3 was not perfect but it was the best of what I considered and the only one I was happy to get rid of the XF for. As it is basically an EV version of the X3, a lot of bits on it are from a standard and proven parts bin and I like the ergonomics/driving position and whilst the dash mounted infotainment is not for everyone I find the position of it much less distracting than lower down and the HUD is for me well worth having. I am also now a fan of the BMW i-Drive controller as I am one of those that finds poking at a screen a PITA when driving.

Good luck with whichever vehicle you pick and if you pick the iX3 then hopefully you will be as happy as the majority of owners on this forum are with theirs.
Appreciate 2
Rathian153.50
      05-08-2022, 11:54 AM   #12
Mogwai888
Private First Class
Rep

Thanks keninuk and Archer-s both for your insight.

Really interesting to see the cars people have considered and tested.

The Ionic 5 is a bit too retro for me in styling, but agree heard good things about the Kia and Hyundais.

The Polestar2 was on shortlist as power was up there and is the cheapest option, but feels to be a class smaller. Also test drive process is a bit faff of having to go to the nearest Polestar site first and there’s not a vast network for support. Agree the 4 looks like it could be a good package.

The IX3 as an all round package is quite compelling even if it’s a ICE base platform…..will have to get off the fence soon
Appreciate 2
Rathian153.50
Archer-s247.00
      05-08-2022, 01:13 PM   #13
hollpe
Second Lieutenant
England
Rep
Drives: BMW iX3 M Sport

Like you I'm a serial BMW owner and came from a G31 prior to the iX3.

I looked at Tesla, Audi E-Tron, Mustang Mach E and also the Ioniq 5. The key things for me were:

- Decent boot space & shape. To carry a dog cage and family luggage. The shape is important, some of the other models have more litres, but the shape means I can't fit a dog cage in properly.
- 200+ mile range (in the real world, not WLTP)
- Excellent Build quality
- Decent to drive
- Not futuristic looking for the sake of it (inside or out!)

The iX3 ticked all those boxes and it also comes loaded with kit. I did look quite long and hard at Tesla and would have waited for the MY if needs be. The Model Y wasn't out then but I did look at the M3 for quality etc. They don't do it for me. I don't like the styling or the minimalist approach inside. Whilst the build quality has got better, my detailer was showing me some pictures of paint flaking off under wheel arches, panel gaps etc and that was on some of the newer cars (21 plates). This may have been a one off's but it didn't inspire me with a lot of confidence. However, there is always a small amount of envy when you see rows of Tesla Superchargers lined up in motorway services! Tesla are way ahead in that respect. I'm not trying to do Tesla down and I totally understand why so many people buy them. They're just not for me.

I think some of the other posts have covered off the same view as mine for the other models.

I've been delighted with the iX3 and have no complaints at all. The build quality is excellent. The iX3 is really good to drive too. It handles and goes well, with decent ride quality and plenty of power. Even though the headline numbers are fairly modest, it's plenty quick enough. Unfortunately someone read ended mine on Friday so it's at the dealers awaiting repair. The loan car is an M440i. A really nice car! However you do miss the instant torque and power of the electric motor. Waiting for the gearbox etc to kick down when you floor it is noticeable after driving the iX3.

Saying that, the howling of the straight six up to the limiter and the banging and popping of the exhaust is something that an EV will never compete with

All in all I can't wait to get my car back!

Last edited by hollpe; 05-08-2022 at 01:26 PM..
Appreciate 2
Rathian153.50
      05-08-2022, 01:42 PM   #14
EVFan
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: iX3 MS Pro 2022

I was looking to replace my I-Pace and tested just about all the current contenders <£60k i.e. Kia EV6, Mach E, Audi Q4, Skoda Enyaq, Polestar, Volvo etc, apart from Tesla.
For all the reasons others have mentioned above I didn't buy a Tesla when I got the Jaguar, and I wouldn't even consider one now there are other options in the market.

I have never owned a BMW, and in fact had rejected iX3 based on specs, but having tested all the contenders mentioned, I was looking at a lot of compromises compared to I-Pace.
So I decided to test drive the iX3 almost as a last throw of the dice before I "settled", and just a few minutes into the drive we had a winner (again, for reasons others have mentioned, but particularly the quality, drive and control method(s).
Now, instead of dreading the day the Jaguar goes, I am genuinely looking forward to my new (BMW) journey.
Appreciate 3
Rathian153.50
Archer-s247.00
      05-08-2022, 03:37 PM   #15
kebl2555
Private
Rep
Drives: X1, iX3 M-Sport Pro on order

Quote:
Originally Posted by keninuk View Post
BMW iX3 Premier Pro (Pre LCI)
This was for me a very good overall package apart from a lack of bass with the Harman Kardon System (sorted out after purchase)
What did you do after purchase to address the bass?
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2022, 02:02 AM   #16
GDEvans
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kebl2555 View Post
I guess it depends how much bass you are after, and what music you listen to. My taste is Jazz FM and Smooth Radio. For that type of music the bass is certainly sufficient. Indeed the sound is pretty balanced through the HK system.

If your taste is drum and bass, or heavy rock, then pretty much all systems will be lacking.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2022, 03:18 AM   #17
keninuk
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: iX3 M Sport Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by kebl2555 View Post
A post I created on this a while back might be worth a look for you:
https://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1900374

As you have the Pro on order it will be the same setup as mine.

A summary of what I replaced is in comment #3

As GDEvans points out it depends on what you listen to. I do like a bit of thump and always have done and my aim with upgrading the stereo was 'simply' to get back the bass the standard fit 825w Meridian system provided in my Jaguar.

I felt the jaguar had a richer fuller sound and I now get to hear/feel the lower frequencies that for me at least the HK system in the iX3 lacks.

Interesting that the i4 now includes a sub in the boot with the 'TOP HiFi'. Not sure where you stick the charging cables as it seems to eat into the under floor storage.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2022, 03:42 AM   #18
GDEvans
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by keninuk View Post
Interesting that the i4 now includes a sub in the boot with the 'TOP HiFi'. Not sure where you stick the charging cables as it seems to eat into the under floor storage.
I guess the i4 owners could store their cables in the frunk... oh no... my mistake... BMW forgot to include a frunk in the i4 as well as the iX3!
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2022, 01:48 AM   #19
akeem
No_Country
Rep

It's a "normal" EV IMHO
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2022, 04:17 AM   #20
liljestig
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW G08 iX3 M Sport

With its versatile family-friendly packaging, the RWD-only iX3 and 210 kW makes an appealing choice here in Singapore, falling just below the highest (super-expensive) EV road tax tier starting at 220 kW.

Edit: The annual road tax for EVs in Singapore is based solely on power (kW) output (in different tiers) with no regards to power-to-weight ratio. For petrol-powered vehicles it is determined by engine displacement (cm3) only, with no penalties for CO2 and other emissions. The effect is that most dual-motor EVs become almost ridiculously expensive to tax here, even compared to similarly fast (forced induction, lighter) non-EVs.

Last edited by liljestig; 05-19-2022 at 04:22 AM..
Appreciate 1
      05-25-2022, 10:03 PM   #21
iX3inOz
Rep

I had a Tesla Model 3 LR on order since Q4 last year. Once they missed the Q1 delivery I’d been told I’d get (6-8 weeks at time of order) I figured the delays would blow out.

They have; I know people who ordered before me last year who still haven’t received theirs.

Basically, I liked the product but Tesla’s service (at least here in Australia) is utterly pathetic and I had real concerns about spare parts availability and reliability from others I know who have owned Model 3s and Ss (Essess?).

I liked the iPace generally, but it didn’t fit with my view of what a Jag should look like and I was worried about quality after previous JLR products in the last few years.

Anything by Mercedes was out of the question. I was driving a Merc I’d bought as a demo with 5k km on it a year before (when it was 3 months old) and it was a buggy, unreliable POS. In fact, it was the least reliable car I’ve ever
owned in close to 30 years of motoring. I doubt I’ll ever buy another Merc unless it’s a classic for a weekend toy.

Volvo and Polestar 2 EVs were impossible to get here when I started looking. Polestar 2 were coming on stream a couple of months later, but I couldn’t even arrange one to test drive or see in the flesh so I wasn’t prepared to drop the cash.

The Taycan - which is what I really lusted after cost $60k AUD (say £35k) more and had a wait time of minimum 12 months. The Merc was trying to kill me every few days so I didn’t fancy a minimum 12 months more with it.

And then there was BMW, which literally had iX3s in multiple colours (all loaded) available sitting on the lot. I drove it and liked it a lot more than I thought I would. It felt like a taller, heavier version of my old E36 3-series.

I actually struggled a bit with the asking price because it was single motor/Rwd only. I’d have been quite happy paying 20% more for a dual motor/awd. Maybe that’s the point of the iX, but I really don’t like the styling on that. I do like that the iX3 looks like a regular car so I don’t have to worry about coming back to a keyed paint job in a car park because my car sticks out as new and electric with petrol prices where they are.

3 and a half months and 5k odd km in, I’m really happy with it. More range and more power would be nice, but for my 80 mile a day round trip commute and weekend family duties it’s absolutely brilliant.

Last edited by iX3inOz; 05-25-2022 at 10:09 PM..
Appreciate 2
Rathian153.50
      06-02-2022, 07:29 AM   #22
Bimar
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Bmw X

Anyone here looked at the GV70 EV or iX before settling on the iX3?
Appreciate 0