BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

05-01-2022, 02:29 AM   #23
MATR
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 30e

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_ape View Post
The Current beta of the app does update whilst driving (on the beta 2.5.0) it's using a new version of the api.

Whether that's integrated with other apps or not though....
How do you get the beta version ?

Maybe there is hope that this will be available to ABRP and Apple….
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2022, 04:13 PM   #24
the_ape
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 225xe / iX3 Premier Pro

Have to sign up on testbirds for the BMW program

https://nest.testbirds.com/home/test...e-6bd9e5e6297b

If you fancy it.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2022, 12:20 AM   #25
MATR
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 30e

It looks like 2.5.0 is live now on app store. Anyone can confirm if their app started updating SoC during driving?
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2022, 05:28 AM   #26
lakmus
Private
No_Country
Rep
Drives: iX3 Impressive

Quote:
Originally Posted by MATR View Post
It looks like 2.5.0 is live now on app store. Anyone can confirm if their app started updating SoC during driving?
SoC % is not, but km's are

I haven't seen this happen before, but once using the native navigation, it updates the remaining range immediately (eg. navigated to over 300 km with highway route, the estimated range dropped immediately from 406 km to 307 km)
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2022, 03:52 AM   #27
Lazy Lee
Private
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMW iX3 Exec, BMW i3s Exec

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakmus View Post

I haven't seen this happen before, but once using the native navigation, it updates the remaining range immediately (eg. navigated to over 300 km with highway route, the estimated range dropped immediately from 406 km to 307 km)
Do you mean the app immediately updates this as well now? (The car has been doing that all the time, at least in my case.)
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2022, 06:24 AM   #28
lakmus
Private
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazy Lee View Post
Quote:

Do you mean the app immediately updates this as well now? (The car has been doing that all the time, at least in my case.)
Yep. MyBMW app showed 100% all the time - that remained same when I left, but the km range was updated to be roughly the same as the car showed while I was driving (during 3,5 hours I checked 3 times).
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2022, 02:41 AM   #29
lakmus
Private
No_Country
Rep

Some updates to the native navigation also coming up for iX3

https://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/...u540o_VfghGYxA
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2022, 04:40 AM   #30
GDEvans
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: iX3

Quote:

Great news. Although I suspect some here will be annoyed that the iX3 is not getting everything that's available on newer models with iDrive 8.

Will this be the first OTA update that my car receives? Or will it need to go back to the dealer yet again. At least they come and pick it up from my house.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2022, 04:55 AM   #31
keninuk
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: iX3 M Sport Pro

Quote:

Interesting article.

One thing that I have always felt would be useful is the ability to set the SOC I require at my destination. It appears the update offers this but as this is part of the new settings I don't think iX3 owners will get it. I think we just get the benefit of the updates happening at the server side.

Extracts from article:

----
Also new: The SOC at the destination can now also be set. While a fixed arrival SOC of 10 percent was defined with the old software, this decision is now left to the driver. He can choose a value between 5 and 50 percent with which he can arrive at the destination and an SOC between 5 and 25 percent for the intermediate destination at the charging station.

Unfortunately, customers of the iX3 have to be satisfied with a slimmed-down version of the update. The reason: The old operating system generation OS7 is still working in the iX3 . The new setting options and expanded displays are therefore denied to the electrified X3. Since the route calculation and the loading planning is done on the server in the BMW backend, the iX3 benefits from the faster calculation speed and the improved routing that comes with the software update.
---

I guess we will just have to see what the improvements look like for iX3 owners when they arrive.

I am trying my best to use the BMW navigation rather than Google Maps/Android Auto as I prefer the appearance and some of the functionality is better using the inbuilt navigation.

Apart from an incomprehensible detour near home in the 1st couple of weeks which has corrected itself I am managing reasonably well with sending destinations to the vehicle. Often it knows the places/restaurants etc I want to travel to but the chequered flag is maybe 50-100 yards away which is OK if you have looked it up on Google Maps as well! The other way to do it is to drop a pin in the MyBMW app and send that. If I don't use it straight away or think I will use it again then I add it as a favourite and I can then change the 'Dropped Pin' description to something more informative.

For longer trips I have a magnetic vent mount I can clip in to have Google Maps running on a separate phone if required as a two pronged approach.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2022, 09:07 AM   #32
the_ape
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by keninuk View Post
Interesting article.

One thing that I have always felt would be useful is the ability to set the SOC I require at my destination. It appears the update offers this but as this is part of the new settings I don't think iX3 owners will get it. I think we just get the benefit of the updates happening at the server side.

Extracts from article:

----
Also new: The SOC at the destination can now also be set. While a fixed arrival SOC of 10 percent was defined with the old software, this decision is now left to the driver. He can choose a value between 5 and 50 percent with which he can arrive at the destination and an SOC between 5 and 25 percent for the intermediate destination at the charging station.

Unfortunately, customers of the iX3 have to be satisfied with a slimmed-down version of the update. The reason: The old operating system generation OS7 is still working in the iX3 . The new setting options and expanded displays are therefore denied to the electrified X3. Since the route calculation and the loading planning is done on the server in the BMW backend, the iX3 benefits from the faster calculation speed and the improved routing that comes with the software update.
---

I guess we will just have to see what the improvements look like for iX3 owners when they arrive.

I am trying my best to use the BMW navigation rather than Google Maps/Android Auto as I prefer the appearance and some of the functionality is better using the inbuilt navigation.

Apart from an incomprehensible detour near home in the 1st couple of weeks which has corrected itself I am managing reasonably well with sending destinations to the vehicle. Often it knows the places/restaurants etc I want to travel to but the chequered flag is maybe 50-100 yards away which is OK if you have looked it up on Google Maps as well! The other way to do it is to drop a pin in the MyBMW app and send that. If I don't use it straight away or think I will use it again then I add it as a favourite and I can then change the 'Dropped Pin' description to something more informative.

For longer trips I have a magnetic vent mount I can clip in to have Google Maps running on a separate phone if required as a two pronged approach.
Rather than vent mount why not use AA on the car.. Simple and done then, plan route in ABRP, send it to Gmaps and job done, all charging and everything sorted on one interface.

Be nice to see the in car updated, seems we may be getting a similar system to older idrive 6 cars, that got the iDrive 7 light mode.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2022, 10:28 AM   #33
keninuk
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Rather than vent mount why not use AA on the car.. Simple and done then, plan route in ABRP, send it to Gmaps and job done, all charging and everything sorted on one interface.

Be nice to see the in car updated, seems we may be getting a similar system to older idrive 6 cars, that got the iDrive 7 light mode.
I could use AA from my main Android phone with it still in my pocket but I currently want BMW navigation running all the time and Google maps purely as a backup/benchmark at times so that runs on my second Android phone which isn't hooked up via AA.

I don't currently use ABRP and probably won't have the need for it so if I can avoid using AA on my main phone other than for flipping in and out for signal/telegram messages etc then I will keep plugging away with BMW navigation for the car at the moment.

You could say I am a glutton for punishment using BMW Navigation but I do like the iDrive controller and being new to BMW cars I want to really get to test it thoroughly for several months. If it comes up short then my next vehicle could well be equipped with Android Automotive, especially if things go even more touch screen!
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2022, 04:07 PM   #34
the_ape
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Wouldn't even contemplate using the built in stuff, AA is just better in every way. But hey if that's what you want then go ahead

Only thing that I use the iDrive for is settings... Never see it besides that AA just starts up at turn on
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2022, 04:30 AM   #35
keninuk
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Wouldn't even contemplate using the built in stuff, AA is just better in every way. But hey if that's what you want then go ahead

Only thing that I use the iDrive for is settings... Never see it besides that AA just starts up at turn on
Given the BMW route planning updates are part of an 07/22 update then perhaps now is a good time for me to switch and have a play with Android Auto for a few months. Coming from a 2015 Jaguar XF I had to rely almost solely on Google Maps on my phone and found it pretty faultless but it wasn't the full blown Android Auto experience.

I am inclined to think I will end up like yourself and just use Android Auto eventually and in some ways it makes sense as my next vehicle will have wireless Android Auto or Android Automotive and therefore the BMW navigation is just something you more than likely will end up paying for but not using. Polestar, Renault/Alpine have gone the Android Automotive route and for me with a couple of Pixel phones I have no issues with that at all.

At least I know enough now about the baked in navigation/media for when Android 13 lands on my phones in August which might break things for a while!
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2022, 06:26 AM   #36
the_ape
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Yeah wireless AA is just too easy, put phone on charge plate and start, everything else just happens automagically, put Carstream on, and can watch youtube/plex whilst waiting (or listen to YouTube podcasts etc)

Just easier... Oh the only other thing the iDrive is used for is to pay parking, but that pops up when you turn the car off anyhow
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2022, 12:57 PM   #37
keninuk
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Yeah wireless AA is just too easy, put phone on charge plate and start, everything else just happens automagically, put Carstream on, and can watch youtube/plex whilst waiting (or listen to YouTube podcasts etc)

Just easier... Oh the only other thing the iDrive is used for is to pay parking, but that pops up when you turn the car off anyhow
I had forgotten about the RingGo app. I will be parking at a RingGo car park on Monday so I might give it a try as I already have an account I can link to the vehicle. Just a shame there are various apps and BMW only supports the one. I guess if you park daily at a RingGo location it could be really handy.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2022, 05:59 PM   #38
Overlockfr
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 3 Series

Oh? I wasn't aware of the integration with RingGo! So it just pops up when you turn the car off? Sounds handy!
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2022, 02:41 PM   #39
iX3 rijder
Private First Class
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BWW iX3

Got reply from BMWi in Netherlands:

Cooperation between AppleMaps and BMW sat-nav is NOT going to happen as far as they are aware!
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2022, 10:39 AM   #40
GDEvans
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: iX3

Quote:
Originally Posted by iX3 rijder View Post
Got reply from BMWi in Netherlands:

Cooperation between AppleMaps and BMW sat-nav is NOT going to happen as far as they are aware!
Let me correct that for you... Cooperation between Apple and anybody else is NOT going to happen!!!
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2023, 03:50 AM   #41
lakmus
Private
No_Country
Rep

Neat feature once BMW gets their app in order

CarPlay Charger Availability Info
Appreciate 0