BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

06-18-2022, 03:54 AM   #1
RobWin
Rep
Drives: BMW iX3

What range do you get?

Had my car about 4 month now and my average range is about 190 miles. This is driving in eco pro mode, slowly, without air con on and through the day so no head lamps on. I've been back to the dealer who tell me this is normal despite telling me the real life range would be about 240.

Is the range I achieve normal or should I be getting more?

As mentioned previously I don't think the dealership has a clue what they are doing with electric cars.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2022, 04:26 AM   #2
Batesr5
Rep
Drives: 2 series, iX3 M sport Pro

Hmm, I was getting 200 in the middle of winter with heated seats and heater on a lot, so to me that sounds off.

I literally went to London and back on a single charge, 265 range, in eco mode, with air on on and pre conditioned cabin.

Obviously the caviat, all on your driving style
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2022, 06:23 AM   #3
hollpe
Second Lieutenant
England
Rep
Drives: BMW iX3 M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batesr5 View Post
Hmm, I was getting 200 in the middle of winter with heated seats and heater on a lot, so to me that sounds off.

I literally went to London and back on a single charge, 265 range, in eco mode, with air on on and pre conditioned cabin.

Obviously the caviat, all on your driving style
^^^^^^^^Mine is pretty much the same as this.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2022, 03:45 PM   #4
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobWin View Post
Had my car about 4 month now and my average range is about 190 miles. This is driving in eco pro mode, slowly, without air con on and through the day so no head lamps on. I've been back to the dealer who tell me this is normal despite telling me the real life range would be about 240.

Is the range I achieve normal or should I be getting more?
You are not stating your use. Do you mean for a long run you only get 190 miles, or is this lots of short runs from one charge?
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2022, 03:51 PM   #5
SpaceRock
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Depends on my driving style. I just did a road trip to visit family in Slovakia (from London) and I averaged around 200 miles for a 100% charge in sports mode and with the aircon off 80% of the time - on all highway roads.

In the countryside at my parents place (little traffic with a steady pace at around 60Mph I managed to get 260 miles of range every single time which was the only time ever I got a number so high. (See attached photo)

In London on the other hand I get around 180-210 in comfort and with the aircon or heating on pretty much most of the time. [IMG][/IMG]
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
hollpe159.00
      06-19-2022, 04:16 AM   #6
RobWin
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
You are not stating your use. Do you mean for a long run you only get 190 miles, or is this lots of short runs from one charge?
Lots of small runs from a single charge. Don't know if there's any truth in his comment but the man at the dealership told me I would get more miles stop start driving due to the use of regenerative breaking. I would have thought the opposite though as in an ICE vehicle.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2022, 04:34 AM   #7
pjm807
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: iX3, i3, GS1200

Did a 125 mile trip, (100 miles motorway @ 70mph, 25 mile A roads @ speed limit), SOC 100% on departure, 54% remaining on arrival. Average 3.8m/kw. Outside temp 23°C, aircon on 16°C, car in Comfort, driver assist.

Also did circa 36 mile round trip on A/B roads, in ECO, B mode, and averaged 4.2 m/kwh, also with aircon on, outside temp 24°C.

No complaints here, although, I never get a distance greater than 190 in the guess-o-meter, when charging to 80%, which equates to about 3.1m/kwh.
Attached Images

Last edited by pjm807; 06-19-2022 at 04:40 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2022, 07:22 AM   #8
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobWin View Post
Lots of small runs from a single charge. Don't know if there's any truth in his comment but the man at the dealership told me I would get more miles stop start driving due to the use of regenerative breaking. I would have thought the opposite though as in an ICE vehicle.
My interest is in collecting user data, before I make the move to BEV.

I suppose range in stop start driving depends on how you have the vehicle setup. Are you using one pedal driving (B), to harvest most energy?
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2022, 07:41 AM   #9
hollpe
Second Lieutenant
England
Rep
Drives: BMW iX3 M Sport

Quote:

I suppose range in stop start driving depends on how you have the vehicle setup. Are you using one pedal driving (B), to harvest most energy?
The school run I do most days is about 4 miles each way, in heavy traffic, so all stop start. My average consumption on that journey is around 4.2m per kWh. I'm in comfort, B mode, and the aircon, heater etc is on (depending on the weather).

My previous ICE 5 series hated the stop start, short journeys and the consumption would drop from around 50mpg to mid 30's.
Appreciate 1
      06-20-2022, 02:30 AM   #10
RobWin
Rep

Quote:

I've tried it with one and two pedal and it doesn't make a great deal of difference either way. Starting to think I might have a battery issue as I'm having issues charging at rapid charge points.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2022, 05:30 AM   #11
supersebbo
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: iX3 Premier Pro (Dec 21)

The important thing to remember is that the guessometer on the dash is always wrong. So if you're basing your 'range' on what it tells you is remaining, rather than actually driving long distances, then you're getting the wrong impression.

I have started a trip with the range showing as 180 miles on the dash in the winter and then completed a entire 211 mile trip and had it still show 30 miles remaining when I got to my destination. On a hot day I've started with 220 miles range and still had it show 175 miles range with 60% remaining battery!

Short trips mess up the range prediction massively. There is some truth to the regen-braking thing, but not when it's truly stop start in cities, as the energy required to overcome the car's inertia from standing is still huge, and stopping in a city is usually a short sharp braking action which involves the traditional brake pads and doesn't allow the regen system to do much at all. Where you see benefit from regen vs constant speed motorway driving is when you're on A/B-roads and doing long gentle braking cycles into corners, putting all that energy back into the battery and never having to use the brakepads at all.

The sweet-spot for long distance range appears to be doing about 65mph on the motorway.

Last edited by supersebbo; 06-24-2022 at 05:50 AM..
Appreciate 2
      06-24-2022, 05:43 AM   #12
supersebbo
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: iX3 Premier Pro (Dec 21)

Name:  81FFA62F-B951-4789-A3A3-9603ED53872E.jpg
Views: 531
Size:  495.3 KB
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2022, 07:08 AM   #13
DaveCV
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: iX3 Premier

Quote:
. Are you using one pedal driving (B), to harvest most energy?
One pedal driving does not give maximum range. Maximum EV range is achieved with slow acceleration and coasting wherever possible. The iX3’s D mode embodies the concept of coasting combined with regenerative braking.

(based on 8 years of EV ownership and times when EVs had a maximum range of 80 miles. Lots of discussion about this on SpeakEV but may be archived.)
Appreciate 1
      06-24-2022, 07:22 AM   #14
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveCV View Post
One pedal driving does not give maximum range. Maximum EV range is achieved with slow acceleration and coasting wherever possible. The iX3’s D mode embodies the concept of coasting combined with regenerative braking.
Interesting feedback. I can understand that, as energy conversion (back to the battery) has losses.

How do you find it in stop-start conditions, if you can't get the full benefit from coasting? Do you modify your driving style to save wasting energy on friction braking?
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2022, 10:08 AM   #15
GDEvans
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: iX3

Quote:
How do you find it in stop-start conditions, if you can't get the full benefit from coasting? Do you modify your driving style to save wasting energy on friction braking?
I normally turn on the adaptive cruise and let it follow the car in front. Less worried about range at very low speeds when it is start-stop; there is less energy used driving at those speeds, and little to be harvested from the brakes. More interested in comfort!
Appreciate 1