BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

05-04-2022, 04:29 PM   #1
fluppie
Registered
Belgium
Rep
Drives: 2022 iX3 LCI

2022 iX3 LCI Inspiring/Executive/M Sport with basic audio...

Hi all,

New here, I've read some topics in other sections about swapping speakers and amps with DSP.
The "cheapest" iX3 version has basic audio, and to be honest, coming from a 2020 Volvo V60 with an excellent HK system, this is a disappointment.
At first I thought a simple front speaker swap by Focal IS BMW 100L would solve my problem, ordered the plastic triangles from the HiFi system through the dealer, looks neat but sounds awful. I have to turn treble to -10 and bass +3/+4 so you're not covering your ears. The original speaker is some cheap ass full range speaker, so probably heavy equalizing in or the headunit or in the Receiver Audio Module.
If anyone knows if this original factory programmed DSP/equalizing can be disabled, yes please (I have an OBDLink CX and Bimmercode).
If not I'll need to buy a Audiotec-Fischer UP7 DSP with analog MEC and RAM harness. Expensive, but probably worth the investment, since the RTA measurement from Room EQ Wizard/REW is looking bad. And it sounds also bad.
FYI: I did the measurement with bass and treble on 0.

Measured with ARTA (https://www.artalabs.hr/)

Measure with REW (https://www.roomeqwizard.com)

So who knows the magic trick to disable/remove the factory EQ/DSP setting from this crappy sounding set-up. I already tried changing the basic audio RAM (alev1_ram) to the RAM from hifi (alev2_ram) and HK (alev3_ram) and B&O (alev4_ram). Sounds the same and the equalizer from the HK and B&O system don't do anything. You probably need another head-unit as well.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2022, 01:33 AM   #2
modomi06
Private
Rep
Drives: IX3 LCI, i3S

It's not your setup but you can find some information there

https://totallyev.net/bmw-ix3-audio-...harman-kardon/
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2022, 05:00 PM   #3
fluppie
Registered
Belgium
Rep

Yes, but sadly the basic audio system only has bass and treble, no other equalizer. But I think there is some pre equalizing/DSP-ing going on in the headunit or RAM to compensate for the crappy fullrange speaker you get with the basic audio system. It's real bad...
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2022, 12:25 AM   #4
modomi06
Private
Rep

Look there

https://www.bavsound.com

Standard X3 kit would be fine
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2022, 07:24 AM   #5
fluppie
Registered
Belgium
Rep

Today I measured the speaker output, and I think my assumptions were right. There is some heavy EQ going on...
So I think I'll need something like the Audiotec Fischer Match Up 7DSP with RAM harness to process the input to make it flat again.
Ofcourse best would be a way to disable any DSP'ing EQ'ing by the BMW headunit/RAM.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-10-2022, 03:18 AM   #6
GaSelle
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ´23 iX3 M Sport Charged

This is the exact reason why we´ve ordered our M Sport with Harman/Kardon.

Have had two 5-series (G30 and G31) with the base audio (similar to what is found in the iX3), and boy, was it a disappointment. I fitted Harman Kardon speakers in both (four treble, four mid-range) and that made a major improvement to my ears.

Didn´t change the EQ in those though, it sounded fine to me.
      05-11-2022, 05:25 PM   #7
joaoatoliveira
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2022 IX3 MSport

I am very much in the same situation as yours...

Underwhelming sound system, I'm looking for options for an upgrade.

Do you think upgrading just the amp (Audiotec-Fischer UP7 DSP) will do the trick?

Is it really compatible with the base audio of the IX3?
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2022, 03:36 PM   #8
fluppie
Registered
Belgium
Rep

I'll let you know, I've ordered a 7DSP with RAM wiring harness.
In the meantime, I've already provided a 10mm² 12V wire from the fusebox behind the right cover in the booth to the where the RAM is located (behind the left cover in the booth), because the 7DSP needs external power.
I'm also going to measure the frequency response with a resistor to see if the curve is the same/similar to define the input curve correction.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2022, 02:38 AM   #9
modomi06
Private
Rep

https://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1892090
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2022, 08:10 AM   #10
GaSelle
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by modomi06 View Post
That thread refers to cars equipped with Hifi - iX3´s doesn´t come with that. It´s either "Base" or H/K.

Base is four midrange speakers in the doors and to subwoofers under the front seats; and that´s it.
      06-15-2022, 05:58 AM   #11
fatdadsclub
Registered
Rep
Drives: Ix3 M Sport

I have done the upgrade you mention

My ix3 is the just the msport and not the pro.

Therefore it has 'base audio' which is actually not base audio as it would normally be in BMW world - it's actually 4 door speakers, 2 subs.

It has a RAM module in the boot in the left panel, unlike normal base audio which uses the head unit to drive speakers.

I bought the Musway v6 DSP which is a bit cheaper and came with a harness - this was from a really friendly guy called 'Allwoodsaudio' Link

This is plug and play, apart from the power, where you need to run a +12v cable from the fusebox in the right side of the boot (unclip the front fusebox panel and there is a 12v live line that you can unbolt and use) and the negative which I bolted to the pre-existing grounds near the fusebox.

The remote on is taken care of by the unit when it receives audio.

This upgrade works better than just swapping speakers out, because I used it with the base speakers and it sounded just as great as when I swapped them out for the Bavsound coaxials.

The guy will even email you a DSP profile for the x3 which you just load in the software and then turn it up slightly on the master gain.

I've now added a third flat subwoofer in the trunk and the system is sounding way better than my colleagues harmon kardon, which is of course just extra BMW speakers branded as 'HK' and a HK DSP profile.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2022, 02:03 AM   #12
GaSelle
First Lieutenant
Rep

The HK speakers are different from the ones used for base, Hifi etc. And there are more of them. The biggest issue, for me, with the base audio system is the lack of tweeters in the front.
      07-20-2022, 02:17 PM   #13
Wermuth
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW iX3 LCI

Hi
I'm getting my new iX3 delivered in November/December and is really looking forward. But I didn't buy the high spec version (Fully Charged called in DK). But do any of you know if the wiring loom is the same for both the high and low spec versions. Meaning there is already wired and connected to the center speaker in the dashboard and the two speakers in the C-pillar ? - The doors is seems to be a simple matter og changing some trim for the tweeters.
And basically it is a matter of a new RAM module and some new speakers to upgrade to H/K. I know it is not top of the line audio but i prefer keeping things OEM.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2022, 03:58 PM   #14
GaSelle
First Lieutenant
Rep

I’m 99% sure BMW is using the usual german logic; there isn’t any wires for things you didn’t order.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2022, 01:59 PM   #15
Wermuth
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW iX3 LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaSelle View Post
I’m 99% sure BMW is using the usual german logic; there isn’t any wires for things you didn’t order.
Hi GaSelle

Thanks for reply

My X1 had wires for the center speaker but wasn’t connected. I know a lot of 3-series also have wires for center speaker which are connected. I that case it is just a matter of plugging in a speaker and changing the cover.

So it was in the case someone had the chance to open to front cover and check - I’m just very impatient when it comes to waiting for my new iX3 to arrive and get started
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2022, 03:19 AM   #16
GaSelle
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wermuth View Post
Hi GaSelle

Thanks for reply

My X1 had wires for the center speaker but wasn’t connected. I know a lot of 3-series also have wires for center speaker which are connected. I that case it is just a matter of plugging in a speaker and changing the cover.

So it was in the case someone had the chance to open to front cover and check - I’m just very impatient when it comes to waiting for my new iX3 to arrive and get started
My G30 and G31 with Base Audio didn´t have any extra wires.
      09-26-2022, 07:20 PM   #17
mshiu612
Registered
Rep
Drives: Will be ix3

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluppie View Post
I'll let you know, I've ordered a 7DSP with RAM wiring harness.
In the meantime, I've already provided a 10mm² 12V wire from the fusebox behind the right cover in the booth to the where the RAM is located (behind the left cover in the booth), because the 7DSP needs external power.
I'm also going to measure the frequency response with a resistor to see if the curve is the same/similar to define the input curve correction.
Fluppie,

Any good news with the 7DSP?
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2023, 04:19 PM   #18
ix3-mSport-DK
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW ix3 2022; Hyundai Xcent

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatdadsclub View Post
My ix3 is the just the msport and not the pro.

Therefore it has 'base audio' which is actually not base audio as it would normally be in BMW world - it's actually 4 door speakers, 2 subs.

It has a RAM module in the boot in the left panel, unlike normal base audio which uses the head unit to drive speakers.

I bought the Musway v6 DSP which is a bit cheaper and came with a harness - this was from a really friendly guy called 'Allwoodsaudio' Link

This is plug and play, apart from the power, where you need to run a +12v cable from the fusebox in the right side of the boot (unclip the front fusebox panel and there is a 12v live line that you can unbolt and use) and the negative which I bolted to the pre-existing grounds near the fusebox.

The remote on is taken care of by the unit when it receives audio.

This upgrade works better than just swapping speakers out, because I used it with the base speakers and it sounded just as great as when I swapped them out for the Bavsound coaxials.

The guy will even email you a DSP profile for the x3 which you just load in the software and then turn it up slightly on the master gain.

I've now added a third flat subwoofer in the trunk and the system is sounding way better than my colleagues harmon kardon, which is of course just extra BMW speakers branded as 'HK' and a HK DSP profile.
Hi, Thank you for providing information. I assume you have not added any tweeters ? And again if only DSP is upgraded the existing speakers sound better ??
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2023, 07:04 PM   #19
DPlover
Rep
Drives: BMW iX3 M Sport

IMO, tweeters are a must for delivering clear crisp sound.
Appreciate 0