BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

03-03-2022, 12:40 PM   #177
Lioryoung
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95wildtt View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lioryoung View Post
Yes oe wheel, and you can see the pics. Fits beautiful!!
Been looking at this also... how much clearance do you have on the inside?
Honestly, just enough lol, but put about 500 miles and no rubbing
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2022, 03:07 PM   #178
ghstm2
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F87 M2/F97 X3M COMP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin_The_Clean1 View Post
Recently got done installing some Michelin PS-4 265/40 front & 295/35 ZR 21 rear tires & I'm already liking the overall feel of this beastly SAV much more than before. IMO this is a must do mod & wish the factory would've given us all a touch more rubber to work with. The overall tire height isn't a dead even exact match, but it's as close as you're currently going to get given the current tire size options available from the PS4 model line today...

Did you have to have the computer recalibrated with the taller tires? Is the 265/40 (front) and 295/35(rear) considered a +1? Looking online the +0 optional tire size is 265/35(front) and 275/35(rear) which seems taller than factory specs. I want to upgrade my tires but don't want to mess with having someone recalibrate the computer so my Speedo reads correctly. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2022, 01:31 AM   #179
Kevin_The_Clean1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3 MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghstm2 View Post
Did you have to have the computer recalibrated with the taller tires? Is the 265/40 (front) and 295/35(rear) considered a +1? Looking online the +0 optional tire size is 265/35(front) and 275/35(rear) which seems taller than factory specs. I want to upgrade my tires but don't want to mess with having someone recalibrate the computer so my Speedo reads correctly. Thanks!
When you go to the TireRack & look at the overall roll diameter of the factory sizes compared to these, the changes are extremely minimal. And this is the very reason we selected this combination (it's because the changes in size is very very close to factory tire specs). I've never had these calibrated but probably should soon.
2017 F87 M2 - Sold & missed
2020 F97 X3 M Competition - Finally arrived ///
Appreciate 2
jzmundy991.00
ghstm274.50
      03-08-2022, 09:31 AM   #180
jzmundy
Major
Rep
Drives: F97

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghstm2 View Post
When you go to the TireRack & look at the overall roll diameter of the factory sizes compared to these, the changes are extremely minimal. And this is the very reason we selected this combination (it's because the changes in size is very very close to factory tire specs). I've never had these calibrated but probably should soon.
The rolling diameters of the stock 21" and the 265/295 setup referenced in this thread are so close that I'm not sure a calibration would even be worth the time/money.
      03-08-2022, 12:01 PM   #181
HoJoRo
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 Mustang Bullitt

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzmundy View Post
The rolling diameters of the stock 21" and the 265/295 setup referenced in this thread are so close that I'm not sure a calibration would even be worth the time/money.
Yep ... I would say a stock 265 40 21 half worn would be the same as a new 295 35 21 in terms of o/a diameter ..
Attached Images

Gone: 2018 F32 440i MSport+ - Alpine White
Gone: 2018 F87 M2 - Alpine White

Last edited by HoJoRo; 03-08-2022 at 04:06 PM..
Appreciate 3
      03-13-2022, 04:36 AM   #182
Kabes
Kabes
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X3M Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestle View Post
This is a real-world side on from a distance where you can actually see both wheels at the same time.

I still haven’t pulled the trigger as yet. Need to be 100% before I mount these things and can’t return them.

Can I inconvenience you to send a couple more pictures while you are out and about? It looks ok, but I can’t really tell from this angle.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2022, 04:46 AM   #183
Kabes
Kabes
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by car_fan View Post
Ordered from TireRack. Ironically, i was looking for the premium ring design for the front/rear when I ordered mine, as they weren’t available at the time.
Life certainly has a sense of humor sometimes. My grandmother used to always say, wanty wanty can’t get it and getty getty don’t want it. Just know that if you were to order now, you would most likely get the premium touch full ring side wall in the 295 variant. Thus you would be dealing with the same issue I have today because the 265 and 255 don’t come with the full ring premium touch side wall.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2022, 06:39 PM   #184
Kabes
Kabes
United_States
Rep

OK, finally I am a part of the 265/295 club. Here is my journey, as may be it can help someone else...

The 295/35 21 MPS 4s only comes with the "full ring premium touch" sidewall pattern in the BMW star variant. This is also the front OEM tire on the X5 M comp. To get the look of the X3MC BMW OEM version, I had to get the Benz variant. Note that this is the same version that is on the GLC AMG 63s in the rear. Ordered from Tire Rack. Fun fact, the BMW variant is made in the USA and the Benz variant is made in France for both the 295 and 265.

I did not want to just move my rear tires to the front due to my understanding that Michelin makes the tires specific to the front and rear. The front is designed with a different compound and performance characteristics than the rear. I again ordered the Benz variant in 265/40 21 from Tire Rack, which are the front tires on the GLC AMG 63s. At first I left the stock 255 tires in the front with the 295 rear, but I noticed an increase in understeer. With 265 in the front I feel like the car is better balanced. There is a 1% difference in diameter between the front and rear wheels, which based on my understanding, is within BMW tolerance. Because I am within 1%, there shouldn't be a negative impact to the xDrive system, even if the front diameter is marginally larger than the rear. This is the opposite of OEM, as the rear diameter is larger. No spacers thus far and no rubbing that I can tell of yet.

There is definitely a more planted feel. The look is spot on. I hope to see improvements in braking as well, due to the increased front tire track. I am also a little more confident in this set up based on both Mercedes and Porsche having the same tire spec on their GLC AMG 63s and Macan Turbo and GTS.

This is only my perspective and hopefully it can help someone else avoid some of the heartburn I encountered figuring this all out.

Enjoy!
Appreciate 6
      04-23-2022, 12:07 AM   #185
Kevin_The_Clean1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3 MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabes View Post
OK, finally I am a part of the 265/295 club. Here is my journey, as may be it can help someone else...

The 295/35 21 MPS 4s only comes with the "full ring premium touch" sidewall pattern in the BMW star variant. This is also the front OEM tire on the X5 M comp. To get the look of the X3MC BMW OEM version, I had to get the Benz variant. Note that this is the same version that is on the GLC AMG 63s in the rear. Ordered from Tire Rack. Fun fact, the BMW variant is made in the USA and the Benz variant is made in France for both the 295 and 265.

I did not want to just move my rear tires to the front due to my understanding that Michelin makes the tires specific to the front and rear. The front is designed with a different compound and performance characteristics than the rear. I again ordered the Benz variant in 265/40 21 from Tire Rack, which are the front tires on the GLC AMG 63s. At first I left the stock 255 tires in the front with the 295 rear, but I noticed an increase in understeer. With 265 in the front I feel like the car is better balanced. There is a 1% difference in diameter between the front and rear wheels, which based on my understanding, is within BMW tolerance. Because I am within 1%, there shouldn't be a negative impact to the xDrive system, even if the front diameter is marginally larger than the rear. This is the opposite of OEM, as the rear diameter is larger. No spacers thus far and no rubbing that I can tell of yet.

There is definitely a more planted feel. The look is spot on. I hope to see improvements in braking as well, due to the increased front tire track. I am also a little more confident in this set up based on both Mercedes and Porsche having the same tire spec on their GLC AMG 63s and Macan Turbo and GTS.

This is only my perspective and hopefully it can help someone else avoid some of the heartburn I encountered figuring this all out.

Enjoy!
I'm impressed and you certainly did your homework on this. Everything you said is spot on and absolutely correct. I also when with the the M01 spec (Mercedes variant) so everything would function as intended & designed. The rubber from France seems to be a touch lighter in overall color. But I'm just splitting hairs & it's probably just my imagination. Glad you're liking the new contact patches...
2017 F87 M2 - Sold & missed
2020 F97 X3 M Competition - Finally arrived ///
Appreciate 1
danniexi3072.00
      04-24-2022, 08:17 AM   #186
Mike02z
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW M4 Base

Garage List
2024 BMW M4  [10.00]
2024 BMW M4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by L10_X4MC View Post
Hi all,

New user here but have been reading the forum as currently looking at new tyre options as the standard Conti rears are on their way out after around 9.5k miles! The tyres seem to have been pretty poor though, not been impressed.

Just wondering about the 295/35 option on the rears as a quick internet search seems to show the standard rear wheel size is 10 inches which seems to have a max tyre size of 285, is this not correct or are the wheels wider than that?

Cheers
You are correct on a 10” wide wheel 285 should be the largest. That said, many people disregard. A reputable, knowledgeable tire shop won’t install a 295 on a 10” wheel. The problem is the wheel squeezes the tire and that can lead to problems. For a 295 really should have a 10.5” wide wheel. Check out the below link.

https://www.tyresizecalculator.com/c...rim-size-chart
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2022, 09:21 AM   #187
Kabes
Kabes
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike02z View Post
You are correct on a 10” wide wheel 285 should be the largest. That said, many people disregard. A reputable, knowledgeable tire shop won’t install a 295 on a 10” wheel. The problem is the wheel squeezes the tire and that can lead to problems. For a 295 really should have a 10.5” wide wheel. Check out the below link.

Thanks for the share. Really interesting... I think there are some conflicting statements on the “internet” that can lead to a lot of confusion. I ultimately based my decision on the following:

1. Both Porsche Macan GTS/Turbo and Mercedes GLC AMG 63s come stock with 295 rear tires on 21”x10” rims.

2. Michelin website has a Rim Width Range (Min/Max) 10.00-11.50 listed for a Pilot Sport 4S.

I think those are two pretty reputable co-signers, but I completely understand your comfort level around deviating from OEM.
Appreciate 1
      04-24-2022, 10:08 AM   #188
Bestle
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 LCI, Audi R8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike02z View Post

That "knowledgeable" shop would be wrong as Michelin specifies the minimum of 10".
Appreciate 1
      04-24-2022, 10:47 AM   #189
Edgar_FriendlyX3M
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X3M

Garage List
2020 BMW X3 M  [10.00]
Quote:
That "knowledgeable" shop would be wrong as Michelin specifies the minimum of 10".
My old Jeep came with 295's on a 10 inch wheel along with numerous other factory vehicles. There is no issue with the tires being "squeezed" on the wheel.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2022, 11:51 AM   #190
Mike02z
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW M4 Base

Garage List
2024 BMW M4  [10.00]
2024 BMW M4  [0.00]
Quote:
Yup, you’re correct. Some guides generalize but I stand corrected on the Michelin.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-26-2022, 09:41 PM   #191
Kabes
Kabes
United_States
Rep

FYI I just put these up on the classified thread for sale. Looking for best offer. 255/40ZR21 and 265/40ZR21 Michelin PILOT SPORT 4S
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2022, 03:57 PM   #192
americanaaaa
Private
Rep

Quote:

Enjoy!
Thank you for all the great info! Now that you have had this set up for a week what are your impressions? Did you have the Conti’s before?

thanks a bunch!
2014 BMW 650i Conv. Gone!
2011 BMW 335i Conv. Gone!
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2022, 08:33 AM   #193
Kabes
Kabes
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by americanaaaa View Post
Thank you for all the great info! Now that you have had this set up for a week what are your impressions? Did you have the Conti’s before?

thanks a bunch!
Happy to share. I haven’t crossed over 200 miles to break in my front tires yet but I’m close enough to provide you some candor.

1. The feel? The SAV is amazing. I feel more planted on the ground with the set up. What I mean by that is, when I first got it on the road, it seemed very bouncy. I don’t mean bouncy from the suspension I mean when you hit a bump or joint in the road it has a hop to it. This set up helped to mitigate some of that feel and calm it down a little. I also increased tire pressure from <100 miles an hour. There is so much more grip now. When you hit the gas off the light it just connects with the road. You really feel the torque being put down to the pavement. Now that I am over 4,000 miles and further broken in, the power is really starting to open up in sport plus. The tires take full advantage of that. I run my tires at the >100 miles an hour setting, so they are nice and firm. Comfort mode is fine for me as well. I don’t feel the ride to be harsh at all. Braking also improved slightly.

2. The look? Perfect! fills out the back nicely and gives it a really strong stance on the road. It absolutely makes the SAV.

3. Issues? None to report so far. Haven’t check speedometer changes but based on how close the tire spec is to OEM, the difference should be marginal at best. Probably no more than +1 mile an hour <75 and +1.5 >75. It’s so close you could never tell unless you were on cruise control and got hit with radar and someone told you. Even then I don’t think I would care based on a +1 difference. Well within the margin of error in my book but these are just my subjective thoughts based on my initial research and some basic math. Haven’t actually fact checked it on my vehicle yet, so take it with a grain of salt.

4. Never had Continental’s on this one. Mine came with MPS4S just in the smaller variant. I did have Contis on my ‘19 X5 V8 M sport and all I can remember is that they were loud. To that point the Michelin’s are dead quiet comparatively speaking. I don’t think it’s fair for me to say the Michelin’s are better than the Conti’s unless I ran the same spec back to back on the same vehicle. I will say the Michelin’s certainly look better IMO and have been performing great.

Next up will be gauging wet traction performance (live in California so that might be awhile)

Let me know your thoughts and if you have any more questions. (Forgive the grammatical errors. Typed this quickly on my phone.)

Be well
Appreciate 4
      05-01-2022, 10:03 AM   #194
Rated///M turbo
United_States
Rep
Drives: '22 X3///M Comp

Garage List
Quote:
Happy to share. I haven’t crossed over 200 miles to break in my front tires yet but I’m close enough to provide you some candor.

1. The feel? The SAV is amazing. I feel more planted on the ground with the set up. What I mean by that is, when I first got it on the road, it seemed very bouncy. I don’t mean bouncy from the suspension I mean when you hit a bump or joint in the road it has a hop to it. This set up helped to mitigate some of that feel and calm it down a little. I also increased tire pressure from <100 miles an hour. There is so much more grip now. When you hit the gas off the light it just connects with the road. You really feel the torque being put down to the pavement. Now that I am over 4,000 miles and further broken in, the power is really starting to open up in sport plus. The tires take full advantage of that. I run my tires at the >100 miles an hour setting, so they are nice and firm. Comfort mode is fine for me as well. I don’t feel the ride to be harsh at all. Braking also improved slightly.

2. The look? Perfect! fills out the back nicely and gives it a really strong stance on the road. It absolutely makes the SAV.

3. Issues? None to report so far. Haven’t check speedometer changes but based on how close the tire spec is to OEM, the difference should be marginal at best. Probably no more than +1 mile an hour <75 and +1.5 >75. It’s so close you could never tell unless you were on cruise control and got hit with radar and someone told you. Even then I don’t think I would care based on a +1 difference. Well within the margin of error in my book but these are just my subjective thoughts based on my initial research and some basic math. Haven’t actually fact checked it on my vehicle yet, so take it with a grain of salt.

4. Never had Continental’s on this one. Mine came with MPS4S just in the smaller variant. I did have Contis on my ‘19 X5 V8 M sport and all I can remember is that they were loud. To that point the Michelin’s are dead quiet comparatively speaking. I don’t think it’s fair for me to say the Michelin’s are better than the Conti’s unless I ran the same spec back to back on the same vehicle. I will say the Michelin’s certainly look better IMO and have been performing great.

Next up will be gauging wet traction performance (live in California so that might be awhile)

Let me know your thoughts and if you have any more questions. (Forgive the grammatical errors. Typed this quickly on my phone.)

Be well
Once again, thanks for your candid, detailed and thoughtful post. I have purchased these tires/sizes, in the all season variant, and plan to put them on as soon as my vehicle is delivered - hopefully within a few weeks.

I've generally enjoyed Michelins over most other brands (though I have had excellent experiences with Continental studless snow & ice tires), but I am by no means necessarily 'brand loyal.' I try to be mostly logical in my purchases, based upon best overall value, but am willing to weigh those decisions heavily toward performance and/or aesthetics when warranted. So I definitely appreciate when someone seems to be of a like mindset and is also good at getting their impressions/feelings across. I look forward to reading your updated opinions.

Thanks for taking the time to post!

Last edited by Rated///M turbo; 05-01-2022 at 10:04 AM.. Reason: misspelling
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2022, 04:01 PM   #195
Kabes
Kabes
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rated///M turbo View Post
Once again, thanks for your candid, detailed and thoughtful post. I have purchased these tires/sizes, in the all season variant, and plan to put them on as soon as my vehicle is delivered - hopefully within a few weeks.

I've generally enjoyed Michelins over most other brands (though I have had excellent experiences with Continental studless snow & ice tires), but I am by no means necessarily 'brand loyal.' I try to be mostly logical in my purchases, based upon best overall value, but am willing to weigh those decisions heavily toward performance and/or aesthetics when warranted. So I definitely appreciate when someone seems to be of a like mindset and is also good at getting their impressions/feelings across. I look forward to reading your updated opinions.

Thanks for taking the time to post!
I agree, I’m pretty much brand agnostic too and buy what meets or exceeds my expectations. Unless, of course, there’s some sentimental reason to remain brand loyal.

I’m sure you will enjoy the set up! Feel free to reach out if you have any other thoughts/questions during your journey.
Appreciate 2
      05-05-2022, 11:35 PM   #196
americanaaaa
Private
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by americanaaaa View Post
Thank you for all the great info! Now that you have had this set up for a week what are your impressions? Did you have the Conti's before?

thanks a bunch!
Happy to share. I haven't crossed over 200 miles to break in my front tires yet but I'm close enough to provide you some candor.

1. The feel? The SAV is amazing. I feel more planted on the ground with the set up. What I mean by that is, when I first got it on the road, it seemed very bouncy. I don't mean bouncy from the suspension I mean when you hit a bump or joint in the road it has a hop to it. This set up helped to mitigate some of that feel and calm it down a little. I also increased tire pressure from <100 miles an hour. There is so much more grip now. When you hit the gas off the light it just connects with the road. You really feel the torque being put down to the pavement. Now that I am over 4,000 miles and further broken in, the power is really starting to open up in sport plus. The tires take full advantage of that. I run my tires at the >100 miles an hour setting, so they are nice and firm. Comfort mode is fine for me as well. I don't feel the ride to be harsh at all. Braking also improved slightly.

3. Issues? None to report so far. Haven't check speedometer changes but based on how close the tire spec is to OEM, the difference should be marginal at best. Probably no more than +1 mile an hour <75 and +1.5 >75. It's so close you could never tell unless you were on cruise control and got hit with radar and someone told you. Even then I don't think I would care based on a +1 difference. Well within the margin of error in my book but these are just my subjective thoughts based on my initial research and some basic math. Haven't actually fact checked it on my vehicle yet, so take it with a grain of salt.

4. Never had Continental's on this one. Mine came with MPS4S just in the smaller variant. I did have Contis on my '19 X5 V8 M sport and all I can remember is that they were loud. To that point the Michelin's are dead quiet comparatively speaking. I don't think it's fair for me to say the Michelin's are better than the Conti's unless I ran the same spec back to back on the same vehicle. I will say the Michelin's certainly look better IMO and have been performing great.

Be well

Thank you so much for your detailed and thoughtful response! It really helped me to decide. I live in Socal too… I had My Contis replaced today with the MPS4S 265/295 combo as well. First impressions are pretty good

Thanks again
2014 BMW 650i Conv. Gone!
2011 BMW 335i Conv. Gone!
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2022, 10:41 PM   #197
DCC
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives:

I have been following this 265/295 discussion for quite a bit.
While most have reported improvements by going to these new sizes, has anybody ever tried to keep stock sizes and just swap out to say PS4 AS tires?
Thoughts?

2024 M2, 2024 CGT4RS, 2020 M2 CS, 2021 Macan GTS, 2017 Cayenne S, 2002 M Coupe
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2022, 12:57 PM   #198
anthemavm
Captain
Rep
Drives: X3MC

Quote:
Yes ineed, the X3 M40i with the 245/35 fronts & 375/30 rears is not enough rubber...
375?
Appreciate 0