BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

04-19-2020, 03:46 PM   #1
Frank4Real
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X3

Question Question about Auto Mirror Fold coded with Bimmercode

Hi, hope everyone is safe and sound during these crazy times. I just bought a used 2015 BMW X3 and am super happy with the car So far I have updated the iDrive system, updated the navigation maps, and coded a whole bunch of features I like with Bimmercode.

Everything works flawlessly now except for one, the mirrors don't fold when I lock the car with the remote or the door handle button. It does fold if I long press the lock button on the remote or the button on the door handle, and it does unfold if I unlock the car. This is very strange since every other feature I coded works. I tried reverting the coding related mirror fold/unfold (Fold/unfold mirrors automatically (1 of 2) and (2 of 2)) to the initial backup and re-coded them to be active again, still the same.

Has anyone else encountered this problem before? I used a Veepeak OBDCheck BLE+ Bluetooth 4.0 OBD2 Scanner and an iPhone XR.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2020, 04:50 PM   #2
BMWZ4
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X1/'23 Allroad Progressiv

If I recall correctly it is a long press required to close the mirrors, not a simple one-press lock. I could be wrong, but I think that's how it was on my '15 X3.
'11 Z4 30i (retired);'11 X3 28i (retired); '15 M235i Stage 1 Dinan (recalled & crushed); '16 M235i Stage 3 Dinan (retired); '15 X3 28i (retired); '14 328i (retired), 2019 X3M40i (retired); Loaded '18 X1 (retired); Loaded '20 X3MC DG, Black/Tan Merino (retired); Loaded '23 X1 Cape York green and Red/Black interior; '23 Audi A4 Allroad Progressiv
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2020, 05:05 PM   #3
pdubq
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ‘15 650ix GC, ‘14 X35i MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWZ4 View Post
If I recall correctly it is a long press required to close the mirrors, not a simple one-press lock. I could be wrong, but I think that's how it was on my '15 X3.
Agreed! I coded my 6er and there were options to set the hold duration for comfort folding the mirrors in half second increments, and you could differentiate between lock, windows, sunroof and mirrors. When I coded the x3 there were many less knobs. But I actually prefer having to long press to fold mirrors, as sometimes if I’m just stopping someplace quick, I’d prefer to not fold them in (I guess paranoia that there is a fixed number of open close cycles before the Servo wears out).
Appreciate 1
BMWZ41909.50
      04-20-2020, 01:52 AM   #4
Frank4Real
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWZ4 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdubq View Post
Agreed! I coded my 6er and there were options to set the hold duration for comfort folding the mirrors in half second increments, and you could differentiate between lock, windows, sunroof and mirrors. When I coded the x3 there were many less knobs. But I actually prefer having to long press to fold mirrors, as sometimes if I’m just stopping someplace quick, I’d prefer to not fold them in (I guess paranoia that there is a fixed number of open close cycles before the Servo wears out).
Hmm, I thought it folds without a long press. I had a Lexus RX350 with that function so I may have the wrong impression. Thanks for sharing that with me guys. Good to know Bimmercode is working properly.
Appreciate 1
BMWZ41909.50
      04-20-2020, 08:20 AM   #5
evilchargerfan
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 F25 (N55), 2014 I01 (REX)

Frank4Real

what guide did you use when updating your idrive and navi?
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2020, 08:31 AM   #6
pokerface
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: F25 X3 N20 / F80 ZCP

Long press fold is what I recommend. You don't always want to fold the mirrors if you're parked outside in the winter.

You can change the coding so there is no delay if that's what you really want. Look for "convenience closing delay" and amend as required.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2020, 11:10 AM   #7
Frank4Real
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilchargerfan View Post
Frank4Real

what guide did you use when updating your idrive and navi?
I read about a lot of posts I found in this forum and other places as well. It'll be hard to compile all of them but I can share what I know here.

iDrive: This is pretty straight forward.
Go to https://www.bmw.com/en/footer/software-updates.html, enter your VIN, download the update file, put it in a usb drive formated in fat32, plug it in the USB port in the storage box (maybe in a different place depending on your car), go to software update in setting, and follow the instructions. Should be done very quickly.

Navigation: First you need to figure out the version of your idrive (e.g. CIC, NBT, etc.). If your car is a 12 X3 then it's CIC. Then you need two things, the map files and a FSC code. You can find the map files by searching on the internet, or you can buy it from BMW or third parties. They usually also provide the FSC code as well. There are other ways of obtaining the FSC code. You can use a ENET cable and E-SYS to extract a file and then use a code gen to generate the FSC code. I didn't go that route so can't say too much about it. But there are a bunch of guides out there if you search for it. I paid an ebay seller $9 and got a lifetime code.

Put the map file in a USB flash drive (32 GB is enough, I used a spare hard dive) formatted in FAT32. You'll need a formatting tool to format it to FAT32 if your drive is more than 32G. Plug it in the USB port in your car, turn on the car, it'll prompt you that there is a newer version, then you need to put in the FSC code, and then it'll install. It takes 40 minutes or so, so you'll want to do it in a longer trip that is more than 40 minutes.
Appreciate 1
      07-02-2020, 08:55 AM   #8
MisterFixit
Registered
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 M40d

Hi,

I'm new here. Picked up an M40d this week in UK, but mirrors don't fold - no button on driver's door, and not with remote long press either. Should these be standard? Or do I need to code?

I have the M Sport Plus and Tech packs, and the interior mirror looks to be a dimming one (latest 2021 UK X3 configurator links this with exterior mirror folding).
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2020, 09:10 AM   #9
najnad
General of the Space Forces
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11 X3 35i M-sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterFixit View Post
Hi,

I'm new here. Picked up an M40d this week in UK, but mirrors don't fold - no button on driver's door, and not with remote long press either. Should these be standard? Or do I need to code?

I have the M Sport Plus and Tech packs, and the interior mirror looks to be a dimming one (latest 2021 UK X3 configurator links this with exterior mirror folding).
What year is your M40d? Doesnt sound like its a F25...

If you dont have a button the drivers door next to the mirror adjustment switch, then you do not have mirrors that electronically fold.
Current: 2020 X5 x40i M-Sport, Arctic Grey Metallic / Ivory White, Executive Package, Luggage Compartment Package, Integral Active Steering, Tow Package, Parking Assist Package, Driving Assist Package, M-Sport brakes, Tux Mats
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2020, 09:37 AM   #10
MisterFixit
Registered
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 M40d

Its 2019 (Sept) so a 2020 UK model I guess - a G01.

No button/ no fold - I feared as much. Pity, it will be harder to park in my garage! I am amazed its not a standard feature on this high spec car. And no Lumbar Support either. My old Merc had both.
Appreciate 0