BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

11-29-2011, 03:25 PM   #45
TogMogX3
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 F25

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotX3 View Post
I can't disagree with any of the facts. After some more fact finding today I've sucked it up and emailed the dealer to enquire on costs and to see if I could get the 308 style in a winter setup.

Hopefully it's as good a decision as it was when I took the advice of this forum to spec my car with the xenons. ;-)

I'm a real advocate for safety and I
guess I rode my luck with summer tyres on my old 3 series in the winters gone by. I realise this now however, I still didn't appreciate a couple of the comments that were getting a bit personal because I expressed a differing opinion.

Best regards to all as ever.

Good luck in your efforts to obtain some winter wheels and tyres. It is my understanding that they are harder to find than rocking horse manure! You might have to consider non-BMW wheels with tyres, or, tyres only which can be fitted to your present rims.

If stuck you might like to try Vines of Guildford as they took four winter tyres off my summer 17" rims recently.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2011, 03:38 PM   #46
TogMogX3
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus7 View Post
Sorry, I also misread your actual statement (the at your peril part).

Surprised that no one has suggested that since the roads are dry 75% of the time anyway, why not just run one snow tire and three all-seasons?
Yeh! Bleeding good idea, but which axle?
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2011, 03:48 PM   #47
ScotX5
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TogMogX3 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotX3 View Post
I can't disagree with any of the facts. After some more fact finding today I've sucked it up and emailed the dealer to enquire on costs and to see if I could get the 308 style in a winter setup.

Hopefully it's as good a decision as it was when I took the advice of this forum to spec my car with the xenons. ;-)

I'm a real advocate for safety and I
guess I rode my luck with summer tyres on my old 3 series in the winters gone by. I realise this now however, I still didn't appreciate a couple of the comments that were getting a bit personal because I expressed a differing opinion.

Best regards to all as ever.

Good luck in your efforts to obtain some winter wheels and tyres. It is my understanding that they are harder to find than rocking horse manure! You might have to consider non-BMW wheels with tyres, or, tyres only which can be fitted to your present rims.

If stuck you might like to try Vines of Guildford as they took four winter tyres off my summer 17" rims recently.
Thanks for the advice!
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2011, 04:05 PM   #48
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

Quote:

I was also led to believe there were long delays for OEM winter wheel and tyre sets but mine were ordered from Cooper Reading and were delivered and fitted only 2 weeks after they were ordered

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2011, 05:23 PM   #49
Bustofa
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F25 X3 XDrive20D SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfax View Post
I was also led to believe there were long delays for OEM winter wheel and tyre sets but mine were ordered from Cooper Reading and were delivered and fitted only 2 weeks after they were ordered
Sfax, if you don't mind me asking, how much did Cooper charge for swapping the wheels over?
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2011, 12:32 AM   #50
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bustofa View Post
Sfax, if you don't mind me asking, how much did Cooper charge for swapping the wheels over?
No probs: It was £30 to swap

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2011, 02:29 AM   #51
Bustofa
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F25 X3 XDrive20D SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfax View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bustofa View Post
No probs: It was £30 to swap
Many thanks. Very reasonable I think.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2011, 02:33 AM   #52
BIMMER UK 76
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW F25 X3 20d SE

Looking at the UK bmw accessories brochure you can get x3 snow chains which might be a consideration for those you have mild winters and one day of snow every 2-3 years?!?

Assume they should only be used with a min snow / ice thickness?

BMW F25 X3 xDRIVE 20d SE
Black Sapphire | Oyster Leather | Fineline Sienna Wood | 307 V Spokes | Auto | Prof Multimedia Package | xLine Package | Xenons | Business Radio | Sports Steering Wheel | Sports Seats | Panoramic Sunroof | Sun Protection Glass | Sun Blinds | Folding Ext. Mirrors + Titanium Grille | Chrome Exhaust Trim | Mudflaps
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2011, 07:00 AM   #53
Lotus7
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: xxxx

Quote:
Yeh! Bleeding good idea, but which axle?
You have to move it from corner to corner once a month.
Important: go clockwise (RF>RR>LR>LF) in the Northern Hemisphere and CCW (RF>LF>LR>RR) if you're in the Southern Hemisphere. If you're based on the equator, you don't need winter tires (or all-seasons for that matter).
And, don't forget to reset your TPM.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2011, 07:57 AM   #54
richardew
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 x335i

Quote:
I realise this now however, I still didn't appreciate a couple of the comments that were getting a bit personal because I expressed a differing opinion.
I apologize for any comments of mine that you thought were personal. They were intended to be provacative, not personal. Again, you do have great taste in cars.
rich

'96 911 C4 Cab (276,000 1 owner smiles)
'11 X3 35i Black Sapphire/Beige,SAP, CP, CWP, DHP, PREM, TECH, Sat radio, Hi Fi, BMW apps, smartphone, 19" w/mixed performance tires.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2011, 08:44 AM   #55
TogMogX3
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus7 View Post
You have to move it from corner to corner once a month.
Important: go clockwise (RF>RR>LR>LF) in the Northern Hemisphere and CCW (RF>LF>LR>RR) if you're in the Southern Hemisphere. If you're based on the equator, you don't need winter tires (or all-seasons for that matter).
And, don't forget to reset your TPM.
Now you tell me - got the winter bleeders on now; however, I will try it next year and for the three following that, should save a set of tyres that way, what.

On a serious note: it sounds like BMW UK have secured a supply of winter tyres for this market at last. Must say it is about time too and that I am about to put mine to the test over the next week in Europe. I will let everyone know how we get on together in due course.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2011, 01:37 PM   #56
Dechy
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 35i M

~5 months out of the year the average is under 7C in Quebec (Nov - March usually, some years it's more like Oct - April )

Been using winter tires since my first car @ 16 (so nearly 20 years ago) aside from 1 year where I decided to try keeping my M+S (T/A KOs) and I shat myself too often during the first dozen snowfalls that I bought full winters in late Decenber lol.

Like someone mentionned, they put it into law now to have winters in Quebec, and I definitely agree with it.

I could see how having less than 2 months of under 7C degrees and not that many snowfalls could suck paying an arm & a leg for winters, I'm not even sure I would do it myself; massive snowfall? Take bus/taxi/metro/walk/work from home/call in sick/etc... I wouldn't chance it on all-seasons!
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2011, 08:10 PM   #57
AndyG
Rep
Drives: X3 2005 2.5i Manual

As a Canadian I can tell you:

Never use all seasons in the winter after their second year. They basically become useless. Get a proper set of snow tires.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2011, 08:50 PM   #58
tuco44
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive M Perf Edtn

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyG View Post
As a Canadian I can tell you:

Never use all seasons in the winter after their second year. They basically become useless. Get a proper set of snow tires.
Don't even use them in the first year.
      12-13-2011, 01:13 PM   #59
gmazet
Captain
Rep
Drives: Broken 2020 M2C

ok so which to go with? Blizzaks or other "unstudded snow/ice" or or a dunlop/michelin/pirelli "performance winter" tire? I'm thinking of getting some fugly winter wheels with snow or winter tires.. I live in NJ.. 95% of the winter, the roads are just potholes, salt and gravel.. then the other 5% it is wet, icy, snowy and wifey still needs to get the kids to and fro... tire rack has a blizzak package with some cheepie wheels for 1350 complete..
Past: 2008 E92tt 6MT, 2001 E46 6MT 2009 Z06 1997 Camaro SS 6MT
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2011, 01:29 PM   #60
fedinand
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 X3, '11 GTI

I can personally recommend the blizzaks (have had them on the last 3 cars), but I have also heard good things about the Dunlops too. I don't have any experience with Pirelli snow tires..
      12-13-2011, 01:34 PM   #61
TogMogX3
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

I have just completed almost 3000 miles, across 6 European countries in 8 days. Crossed the Alps twice in snow, on ice, wet and dry roads. The vehicle never missed a beat, returned an average 46.3 MPG and was always sure footed on Winter Tyres. Nothing less than winter tyres would have given me such piece of mind on that journey.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2011, 01:58 PM   #62
gmazet
Captain
Rep

yeah I think what I am trying to work out in my mind is this:
Blizzaks are cheaper than the "winter performance", why is that? do you give up significant snow and ice performance with a "winter performance" tire vs what you give up in dry (but cold) road performance with the blizzaks..

In NJ, we can get crazy amounts of snow, or very little. when it does it, they usually have main roads clear the next day, delayed school openings and what-not being the result.. not worried about gettign off our street, which gets plowed later, worried about the performance when the storm is getting going and in full swing vs the performance when the snow is cleared or when it is not snowy at all. hearing ramblings about winter compound heating up/gripping better than all seasons. do the blizzaks handle ok in non-snow situations?
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2011, 02:06 PM   #63
TogMogX3
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

[QUOTE=gmazet;10971961]yeah I think what I am trying to work out in my mind is this:
Blizzaks are cheaper than the "winter performance", why is that? do you give up significant snow and ice performance with a "winter performance" tire vs what you give up in dry (but cold) road performance with the blizzaks..

In NJ, we can get crazy amounts of snow, or very little. when it does it, they usually have main roads clear the next day, delayed school openings and what-not being the result.. not worried about gettign off our street, which gets plowed later, worried about the performance when the storm is getting going and in full swing vs the performance when the snow is cleared or when it is not snowy at all. hearing ramblings about winter compound heating up/gripping better than all seasons. do the blizzaks handle ok in non-snow situations?[/QUOTE

Sorry old chap but talk about "winter performance" by members of the general public using public roads sends shivers down my spine. Stay Safe - the alternative could well bring tears to your eyes!
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2011, 02:20 PM   #64
gmazet
Captain
Rep

I was just referring to how tire rack categorizes the tires. they separate the blizzaks into a "studless snow and ice" and Michelin pilot alpin as "winter performance" So what I take from that is that one is more for full time snow action and one is kind of a hybrid between all-season and pure snow tire.. the performance part I take it is that they perform well on cold roads vs a blizzak and vs an all season.. Am I muddling this further?
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2011, 02:25 PM   #65
TogMogX3
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmazet View Post
I was just referring to how tire rack categorizes the tires. they separate the blizzaks into a "studless snow and ice" and Michelin pilot alpin as "winter performance" So what I take from that is that one is more for full time snow action and one is kind of a hybrid between all-season and pure snow tire.. the performance part I take it is that they perform well on cold roads vs a blizzak and vs an all season.. Am I muddling this further?
Gary,

Many thanks for 'putting me in my place' - so sorry I misunderstood your post.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2011, 02:32 PM   #66
gmazet
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Gary,

Many thanks for 'putting me in my place' - so sorry I misunderstood your post.
lol no worries
Appreciate 0