BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

08-04-2019, 08:09 PM   #1
hogwldfltr
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X3 35i Xdrive

X3 Accessories When New?

I'm curious having owned my 2014 X3 35i for a couple of weeks, what came with the cars as they were new. Netting, tools, and any other accessories. I've tried searching on line without success.

Thanks!

-Lee
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2019, 06:16 AM   #2
richardodn
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '12 X3 35iX/'20 440ix cabrio

Here's a catalog from 2015 with many of the accessories available at the time.
bmw_accessories_catalogue_3series_4series_x3_x4_z4.pdf.asset.1463152307729.pdf

Another thing to do is to go look up what should be installed on your X3 via a VIN lookup.
https://decoder.bvzine.com/
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2019, 06:34 AM   #3
hogwldfltr
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardodn View Post
Here's a catalog from 2015 with many of the accessories available at the time.
Attachment 2114238

Another thing to do is to go look up what should be installed on your X3 via a VIN lookup.
https://decoder.bvzine.com/
Interesting catalog; thanks a lot for the link!!! I've been through the decoder site many times on the vehicle. I'm interested in what would have been standard as opposed to what could have been ordered.

Items like the cargo net and slider tie downs (standard or add ons? I see them in the catalog). I guess anything in the catalog would have been add ons?

Tool kit; was there one with the car and if so what was in it?

Thanks again!!!
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2019, 08:46 AM   #4
Bruce24
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X3 2.8i

I have a 2013 and with mine I got the storage package which includes the netting, cargo rails + hardware and the grocery hooks.

The X3 did come with a few tools wrapped in a black canvas pouch. Other than when I was checking out the car when it was new, I have never touched them. I remember there was a screw driver and tow hook and I think one other thing.

-Bruce
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2019, 01:37 PM   #5
hogwldfltr
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce24 View Post
I have a 2013 and with mine I got the storage package which includes the netting, cargo rails + hardware and the grocery hooks.

The X3 did come with a few tools wrapped in a black canvas pouch. Other than when I was checking out the car when it was new, I have never touched them. I remember there was a screw driver and tow hook and I think one other thing.

-Bruce
Thanks; I'm missing the tow hook but have one on order. Mine also came with the storage package but is missing the netting and hardware for them. I believe the folding box came as well.

Last edited by hogwldfltr; 08-05-2019 at 01:46 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2019, 02:20 PM   #6
BMWZ4
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X1/'23 Allroad Progressiv

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogwldfltr View Post
Quote:

-Bruce
Thanks; I'm missing the tow hook but have one on order. Mine also came with the storage package but is missing the netting and hardware for them. I believe the folding box came as well.
What do you need the tow hook for? Just curious.
'11 Z4 30i (retired);'11 X3 28i (retired); '15 M235i Stage 1 Dinan (recalled & crushed); '16 M235i Stage 3 Dinan (retired); '15 X3 28i (retired); '14 328i (retired), 2019 X3M40i (retired); Loaded '18 X1 (retired); Loaded '20 X3MC DG, Black/Tan Merino (retired); Loaded '23 X1 Cape York green and Red/Black interior; '23 Audi A4 Allroad Progressiv
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2019, 10:02 AM   #7
doru
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: e92, f25, e46, e83

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWZ4 View Post
If you are stranded and towing to a service center, you screw the tow hook either in the front or rear - there is a cover in the front & rear bumper that is masking the hole - and the flatbed truck can now "tow" it and secure it on the flatbed. Make sure the car is not in park and the handbrake is off when doing it. Don't let anybody tow it with the X behind a tow truck and wheels on ground. You will destroy the diff's.
e83 N52
e46ci M54B25 (e53 N62 - sold, R.I.P. e39 M54B30)
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2019, 03:26 PM   #8
BMWZ4
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by doru View Post
Quote:
If you are stranded and towing to a service center, you screw the tow hook either in the front or rear - there is a cover in the front & rear bumper that is masking the hole - and the flatbed truck can now "tow" it and secure it on the flatbed. Make sure the car is not in park and the handbrake is off when doing it. Don't let anybody tow it with the X behind a tow truck and wheels on ground. You will destroy the diff's.
I've had a few cars including 2 BMW's put up on flatbeds w/o a tow hook...seems like like overkill IMO
'11 Z4 30i (retired);'11 X3 28i (retired); '15 M235i Stage 1 Dinan (recalled & crushed); '16 M235i Stage 3 Dinan (retired); '15 X3 28i (retired); '14 328i (retired), 2019 X3M40i (retired); Loaded '18 X1 (retired); Loaded '20 X3MC DG, Black/Tan Merino (retired); Loaded '23 X1 Cape York green and Red/Black interior; '23 Audi A4 Allroad Progressiv
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2019, 04:13 PM   #9
hogwldfltr
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
I've had a few cars including 2 BMW's put up on flatbeds w/o a tow hook...seems like like overkill IMO
My Jaguar spent a lot of time on flatbeds fwiw. I traded it in on an F250. Seems that if BMW created the two hook and considers it standard equipment it is designed to reduce the possibility of damage to the car. Can't see how it could hurt anything.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2019, 06:01 PM   #10
BMWZ4
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
My Jaguar spent a lot of time on flatbeds fwiw. I traded it in on an F250. Seems that if BMW created the two hook and considers it standard equipment it is designed to reduce the possibility of damage to the car. Can't see how it could hurt anything.
Just pointing out it may be overkill. Furthermore, I had the impression the front & rear tow hooks existed for shipping purposes, either in trains or ships. Could be wrong, but always thought that's why they existed vs for pulling your vehicle up on a flatbed
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2019, 07:15 PM   #11
pungo
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4MC-X3-35i-525i, Corrado G60

Garage List
Quote:
Just pointing out it may be overkill. Furthermore, I had the impression the front & rear tow hooks existed for shipping purposes, either in trains or ships. Could be wrong, but always thought that's why they existed vs for pulling your vehicle up on a flatbed
Not sure why you think the tow hooks are overkill when the only take an extra minute screw it in. Where do you expected a flat bed driver to connect their winch to pull you up on the bed. If they don't used the tow hook, the only place they can get to is the lower suspension arms and you probably shouldn't be pulling the vehicle by those.

Back to the OP question. My 2011 with the storage package included 2 types of nets, 4 movable eyelets that go in the rails and a fold-able storage box. There was also 7-way to 4-way trailer wire adapter, not even sure if there's a place to plug it in.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2019, 09:16 AM   #12
Bruce24
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X3 2.8i

Quote:
Originally Posted by pungo View Post
Back to the OP question. My 2011 with the storage package included 2 types of nets, 4 movable eyelets that go in the rails and a fold-able storage box.
I have a 2013 and didn't get the storage box, which got me wondering, so I checked the original brochure I have and found that at least for 2013 there were two different options:

Appreciate 0
      08-09-2019, 12:08 PM   #13
hogwldfltr
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
I have a 2013 and didn't get the storage box, which got me wondering, so I checked the original brochure I have and found that at least for 2013 there were two different options:

I have the storage package on the 2014 I just bought. Unfortunately anything that isn't installed is gone. Looking at replacing the detachable cargo net(s), folding box, and fastening points.

I received a compatible tow hook yesterday.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2019, 01:14 PM   #14
BMWZ4
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Not sure why you think the tow hooks are overkill when the only take an extra minute screw it in. Where do you expected a flat bed driver to connect their winch to pull you up on the bed. If they don't used the tow hook, the only place they can get to is the lower suspension arms and you probably shouldn't be pulling the vehicle by those.

Back to the OP question. My 2011 with the storage package included 2 types of nets, 4 movable eyelets that go in the rails and a fold-able storage box. There was also 7-way to 4-way trailer wire adapter, not even sure if there's a place to plug it in.
Never had an issue in the past when they hooked up to the under carriage. It's not like they're towing via the under carriage link for miles lol

In any event, as my original post said "curious", that's all I was wondering...do as you please!
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2019, 02:15 PM   #15
hogwldfltr
Private First Class
Rep

So here are some shots of the storage compartment. Visibly missing are the adjustable fastening points and collapsible box. FWIW, the screwdriver is helpful to use to open the fasteners for the battery compartment.

Appreciate 0
      08-09-2019, 08:01 PM   #16
pungo
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Never had an issue in the past when they hooked up to the under carriage. It's not like they're towing via the under carriage link for miles lol
Good luck attaching to the undercarriage, it's completely covered by shielding so they would be connecting their winch to the lower suspension arms, which is not recommended. Many BMWs have a big yellow sticker underneath warning not to pull the car by the suspension arms. It might not cause any damage, but I wouldn't chance it. The tow hook is not overkill. BMW would not have went through the expense of providing one with every car unless their engineers thought that was the proper way to pull the vehicle to reduce the chance of possible damage.

Back to the OP. If you have the storage package and want a cargo mat, I recommend the WeatherTech one since it has places for the tie down eyelets.

Name:  IMG_2667.JPG
Views: 2255
Size:  684.6 KB
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2019, 08:18 PM   #17
hogwldfltr
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Good luck attaching to the undercarriage, it's completely covered by shielding so they would be connecting their winch to the lower suspension arms, which is not recommended. Many BMWs have a big yellow sticker underneath warning not to pull the car by the suspension arms. It might not cause any damage, but I wouldn't chance it. The tow hook is not overkill. BMW would not have went through the expense of providing one with every car unless their engineers thought that was the proper way to pull the vehicle to reduce the chance of possible damage.

Back to the OP. If you have the storage package and want a cargo mat, I recommend the WeatherTech one since it has places for the tie down eyelets.

Attachment 2117320
Yes, I saw the shielding when I had the car checked out after I bought it. It's basically a big sheet of heavy gauge plastic. I've already got the trunk mat from BMW shown in my top photo. I'm thinking of storing it as it's in the way of access to the storage compartment.

What happened to your adjustable tie down points which slide in the track?
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2019, 08:32 PM   #18
pungo
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Yes, I saw the shielding when I had the car checked out after I bought it. It's basically a big sheet of heavy gauge plastic. I've already got the trunk mat from BMW shown in my top photo. I'm thinking of storing it as it's in the way of access to the storage compartment.

What happened to your adjustable tie down points which slide in the track?
I looked at the BMW mat, but since there weren't cutouts for the tie downs I got the WeatherTech one so I could still use the tie downs with the mat in place.

What do you mean about what happened to the tie downs?
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2019, 08:48 PM   #19
hogwldfltr
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
I looked at the BMW mat, but since there weren't cutouts for the tie downs I got the WeatherTech one so I could still use the tie downs with the mat in place.

What do you mean about what happened to the tie downs?
The ones that are supposed to come with the storage package shown in the second photo below.

Quote:

Appreciate 0
      08-09-2019, 09:38 PM   #20
najnad
General of the Space Forces
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11 X3 35i M-sport

Garage List
You have the floor lid upside down...

Quote:
So here are some shots of the storage compartment. Visibly missing are the adjustable fastening points and collapsible box. FWIW, the screwdriver is helpful to use to open the fasteners for the battery compartment.

Current: 2020 X5 x40i M-Sport, Arctic Grey Metallic / Ivory White, Executive Package, Luggage Compartment Package, Integral Active Steering, Tow Package, Parking Assist Package, Driving Assist Package, M-Sport brakes, Tux Mats
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2019, 09:42 PM   #21
pungo
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
The ones that are supposed to come with the storage package shown in the second photo below.
There are 4 installed in the pic in the cutouts in toward the corners of the mat. The bungee cord is hooked to the left set. The may not be identical to the one in the posted catalog.

Name:  IMG_2667.JPG
Views: 2169
Size:  684.6 KB
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2019, 06:04 AM   #22
hogwldfltr
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by najnad View Post
You have the floor lid upside down...
From the online owner's manual:

Quote:
Reversible floor panel
The bottom of the cargo floor panel is coated with a water- and dirt-resistant finish.
Fold the cargo floor panel up, remove it and flip it over.
Hook on the bottom of the cargo floor panel: for easier loading, the raised cargo floor panel can be secured on the edge of the roof with the hook.
Also, the little reversible screw driver is interesting in that it also has two hex nut sockets built in.

Quote:
There are 4 installed in the pic in the cutouts in toward the corners of the mat. The bungee cord is hooked to the left set. The may not be identical to the one in the posted catalog.

Attachment 2117349
Thanks! I missed them. You don't happen to know the part number for them or remember where they were stored before they were installed?

Last edited by hogwldfltr; 08-10-2019 at 06:17 AM..
Appreciate 0