BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

07-12-2019, 07:41 PM   #1
najnad
General of the Space Forces
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11 X3 35i M-sport

Garage List
Pic request of tow hook area

If you have a pre-LCI X3 with M-Sport trim, could you please remove the rear tow hook cover on the passenger side and send it to me?

Last year I got rear ended and a shop repaired the bumper and it looked good, but yesterday the tow hook cover fell off somewhere and I was surprised to see hot glue remnants that was apparently holding on the tow hook cover. but since the cover is gone, I cant tell if it was broken and they used the hot glue to fix it or if the area on the bumper itself where the cover clips into was broken and they used the hot glue to fix it. Either way, I am getting the shop to fix it, but I want an outside source to verify their fix is correct.

thank you
Current: 2020 X5 x40i M-Sport, Arctic Grey Metallic / Ivory White, Executive Package, Luggage Compartment Package, Integral Active Steering, Tow Package, Parking Assist Package, Driving Assist Package, M-Sport brakes, Tux Mats
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2019, 07:02 AM   #2
Opie55
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '15 650i Convertible

Your first sentence made me laugh. Not sure if you typed it as intended. "Please send me part of your car."

Anyway, it is almost certainly the cover that was broken. Tow hook covers are all pretty much the same, and the little tabs that hold them in are on the cover and not the bumper. But you can carefully inspect the hole in your bumper. Is the edge of it uniform and painted or is there some piece missing? It would be pretty obvious.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2019, 08:16 PM   #3
najnad
United_States
Rep

Garage List
the problem is they repainted the bumper as part of the repair, so everything is painted.
Current: 2020 X5 x40i M-Sport, Arctic Grey Metallic / Ivory White, Executive Package, Luggage Compartment Package, Integral Active Steering, Tow Package, Parking Assist Package, Driving Assist Package, M-Sport brakes, Tux Mats
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2019, 08:38 PM   #4
Opie55
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '15 650i Convertible

Yeah, I realize that, but it's still not hard to tell if something is wrong. Why don't you just post a few close up pics of your opening and I'll tel you if it looks ok.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2019, 09:13 PM   #5
pungo
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4MC-X3-35i-525i, Corrado G60

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opie55 View Post
Your first sentence made me laugh. Not sure if you typed it as intended. "Please send me part of your car."
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2019, 07:41 PM   #6
hogwldfltr
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X3 35i Xdrive

Wasn't there a military scandal having to do with tow hooks? I wasn't aware of this site condoning those sorts of photos. Oh never mind, that was tail hooks. An easy mistake.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2019, 07:58 PM   #7
najnad
United_States
Rep

Garage List
here is the pic of my bumper...if this is broken in some way, please post pics of what it should look like please.

thank you
Attached Images

Appreciate 0