BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

08-16-2019, 06:48 PM   #1
SmallDave
Private
Rep
Drives: 128i Sport Package

Help: Trying to Identify my Suspension

Hello everyone!

I'm the proud owner (really, it's my wife) of a 2011 X3 35i. I picked it up a couple weeks ago in Virginia Beach, drove all the way back home to Maine. Under 37k miles, sports seats and wheel, servotronic steering, for under 14k! Seemed like a steal to me.

I'm in love with the car, the engine is incredible. But I can't figure out which suspension is only the car. All the VIN decoders don't include any suspension options but when I go into sport mode in iDrive, I have the option for drivetrain AND chassis "sport" settings that I can check or uncheck with a box. Doing a test run tonight, I feel like I am going crazy if Sport and Normal mode don't feel significantly different. I will say on a normal road (bumpy) road, not much difference is perceivable.

I'm reading about all the options for sport suspension and dynamic handling package (DHP). Looking at parts on FCP Euro, there seems to be those w or w/o sport suspension settings. Do those refer to the DHP "adjustments" specifically?

My suspension seems to be fine at the moment but I'm just trying to prepare for the future.

Picture of the X3 and the Lexus it's replacing.

Thanks!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-16-2019, 07:31 PM   #2
pungo
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4MC-X3-35i-525i, Corrado G60

Garage List
Nice find. I also recently picked up a 2011 x35i with sport modes. Does your vehicle have the options below? If so, the sport button changes the characteristics of the dampers and steering. The vehicle does feel tighter in sport mode.

S223A Dynamic Damping Control
S2VGA Performance Control
S2VLA Variable Sport steering

I've been doing some coding using esys to change the characteristics of the vehicle (i.e. close hatch and windows up with keyfob, allow online manual while moving, DVD in motion, top view camera while driving, nav and camera accept removed, temp and psi for tires, etc...)
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2019, 09:05 PM   #3
SmallDave
Private
Rep

Very cool! Congrats on your pick up as well!

I don't see any of those things looking through the VIN. Here it is in case anyone wants to check it out...5UXWX7C54BL735571

I'll be changing sway bar links soon so hopefully I will be able to identify if there are some extra wires going to the shocks.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2019, 09:21 PM   #4
02420X3
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 35i

It's highly unlikely that you would have DHP, as very few were ordered that way, and dealers even more rarely included DHP in a dealer stock order. Looking at a VIN decode, you don't have it. You're not badly optioned though. My recollection is that 609 Navigation brought other nice-to-have things along with it. I think that the combination of 6NF, 6NL, and 6NR should give you descent Bluetooth support for your phone. Sport Transmission and Paddles are nice too.

Back to the suspension. For the 2011 model year, without DHP, there are no changes which can be made to the suspension using the Sport setting, even though it appears as an option.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2019, 09:28 PM   #5
SmallDave
Private
Rep

Fantastic, thank you for your response!

I was curious for when I do upgrade suspension. I should be able to upgrade with the bilstein sports, correct? I know there is thread on suspension options, I'll keep doing my research.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2019, 09:55 PM   #6
02420X3
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 35i

How far North are you? I was in Ogunquit and Wells mid-week. My '11 35i has DHP, and perhaps I can show you the difference in rides the next time I'm in ME.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2019, 12:53 AM   #7
pungo
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4MC-X3-35i-525i, Corrado G60

Garage List
Nicely optioned vehicle. Did you get it from Hall Auto Group? I think I may have seen it online. I'm in Maryland and also found my X3 in Virginia. Your vehicle must have been ordered in the south since it doesn't list heated seats or steering wheel. Strange it has S4NEA Blowby heater though. Mine doesn't have S4NEA, but it does have front/rear heated seats and heated steering wheel which is a must for MD winters which are pretty tame compared to MA.

As far as performance anti-sway bars, I'm not too sure what's available, if any. I have heard people fitting bars from a different model vehicle, though not sure which one fits. Even though I have the DHP, I'm also interested what anti-sway bars are available to reduce some of the body roll.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2019, 02:52 AM   #8
hogwldfltr
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X3 35i Xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by pungo View Post

snipping...

As far as performance anti-sway bars, I'm not too sure what's available, if any. I have heard people fitting bars from a different model vehicle, though not sure which one fits. Even though I have the DHP, I'm also interested what anti-sway bars are available to reduce some of the body roll.
+1, also nearby on Plum Isl. in MA.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2019, 09:25 AM   #9
SmallDave
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02420X3 View Post
How far North are you? I was in Ogunquit and Wells mid-week. My '11 35i has DHP, and perhaps I can show you the difference in rides the next time I'm in ME.
That would be fantastic! I'm right in the Portland area, I love connecting with other BMW guys. Definitely shoot me a message and I can certainly meet you!
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2019, 09:33 AM   #10
SmallDave
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pungo View Post
Nicely optioned vehicle. Did you get it from Hall Auto Group? I think I may have seen it online. I'm in Maryland and also found my X3 in Virginia. Your vehicle must have been ordered in the south since it doesn't list heated seats or steering wheel. Strange it has S4NEA Blowby heater though. Mine doesn't have S4NEA, but it does have front/rear heated seats and heated steering wheel which is a must for MD winters which are pretty tame compared to MA.

Yes, I got it from Hall Mazda! Without pictures, I looked up the VIN and noticed it had the sport options and I was sold. Except I was worried the heated seats may be a deal breaker but my wife isn't much of a fan for some reason. I need to look up the blow by heater... It's really in great shape. Appears to have been owned by an older gentleman and lived in the south. Really a perfect combination when buying an older car. Not sure how much I'll be modifying it but I plan to keep it in tip-top shape. I replaced the broken trunk larch yesterday in all of 7 minutes. I can't believe BMW was going to charge $250 in labor for the job.

Next is rear brakes, sway bar links, and an interior trim piece. Down the road will be possibly intake, aluminum charge pipes, and possibly some 19s for the summer. I did pick up some Michelin ice x tires for the winter time to go on the stock wheels.

As many of you know, the 35i is quite a machine, I've truly enjoyed it so far. I wasn't sure it would have the same characteristics as my smaller BMWs but it definitely is fun to drive.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2019, 08:46 AM   #11
scostu
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F25

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmallDave View Post
Hello everyone!

I'm the proud owner (really, it's my wife) of a 2011 X3 35i. I picked it up a couple weeks ago in Virginia Beach, drove all the way back home to Maine. Under 37k miles, sports seats and wheel, servotronic steering, for under 14k! Seemed like a steal to me.

I'm in love with the car, the engine is incredible. But I can't figure out which suspension is only the car. All the VIN decoders don't include any suspension options but when I go into sport mode in iDrive, I have the option for drivetrain AND chassis "sport" settings that I can check or uncheck with a box. Doing a test run tonight, I feel like I am going crazy if Sport and Normal mode don't feel significantly different. I will say on a normal road (bumpy) road, not much difference is perceivable.

I'm reading about all the options for sport suspension and dynamic handling package (DHP). Looking at parts on FCP Euro, there seems to be those w or w/o sport suspension settings. Do those refer to the DHP "adjustments" specifically?

My suspension seems to be fine at the moment but I'm just trying to prepare for the future.

Picture of the X3 and the Lexus it's replacing.

Thanks!
Using vin lookup via bvzine.com.... you have the standard suspension.

Changing suspension later you can do whatever you want.
      08-18-2019, 02:24 PM   #12
SmallDave
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by scostu View Post
Using vin lookup via bvzine.com.... you have the standard suspension.

Changing suspension later you can do whatever you want.
Thanks Scostu, any thoughts on the Bilstein touring shocks?
Appreciate 1
      08-19-2019, 04:34 AM   #13
scostu
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F25

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmallDave View Post
Thanks Scostu, any thoughts on the Bilstein touring shocks?
Check the F30 suspension thread for info on Bilstein.

I’m going this route with install this week.....

https://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1641417