BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

05-04-2019, 11:23 AM   #1
curveball2
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 xDrive 28i

check engine light on and scanner gives no codes

Check engine light remains on (steady, not flashing) on my 2015 X3 x28i and Foxwell NT510 shows no codes, sort of. Battery tested and in good condition.

When I use the generic OBD setting on the scanner I get a code for “Evaporative Emission System Leak Detected (very small leak).” code: P0456/$07E8. The gas filler cap is snug.

When I use the “BMW” setting with software installed on the scanner I get NO codes. I am concerned that the scanner never can recognize my car with its initial VIN search, so I have to either input the VIN manually (tedious) or do a manual setup by choosing X3 F25 setting.

I don’t know if this is pertinent to the “check engine” light problem: When I go to “Main Groups” in the scanner’s BMW setting and click on “Control Units” rather than “auto scan” and then under “Part” click “drive” I get 7 or more selections to choose from, such as “3 Engine-DME Digital Motor Electronics”, and when I click on any of them I get a “No Communicating” message, saying be sure switch is on, check cables for tester/vehicle connection, battery charged and “4. Verify if the system is configured.”

Don’t know what that last one means, but, again, I’m concerned because the scanner’s failure to recognize my vehicle at the outset might have something to do with this.
Looking for advice on how to clear the “check engine” light. Or whatever.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2019, 12:34 PM   #2
TheCoolX3
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW X3 35i M-Sport

Garage List
Try disconnecting the battery for 30 minutes. Won't hurt anything and sometimes these cars get confused and flip a shit. 30min is a enough time for it to reset and gather its thoughts.

Like a vacation but for your DME.

Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2019, 05:06 PM   #3
curveball2
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 xDrive 28i

that did it

Disconnected the battery for an hour while I was away and it cleared.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2019, 10:45 PM   #4
TheCoolX3
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW X3 35i M-Sport

Garage List
Glad it worked for you!

Our DMEs work hard, sometimes they need a little rest!

Quote:
Originally Posted by curveball2 View Post
Disconnected the battery for an hour while I was away and it cleared.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2019, 03:14 PM   #5
ATLDawg
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 Xdrive28I

Angry X3 Engine Light keeps coming on

Purchased a 2013 X3 from dealer with 74,000 miles in May 2019. Clean Carfax.
After one week of ownership, engine light came on. Took back to dealer, found no issues.
1 day later, engine light back on. We replaced Valve Cover, Timing Chain tensioner loose so on our own decision, we replaced the tensioner along with Timing Chain.
Engine Light back on after two days and this time told we need new fuel injector, breather hose, ignition coils.
Engine light back on after 1 day.
Back to dealer, worked on it for one week - Oxygen sensors replaced and cracked turbo vacuum line to exhaust valve.
Two days later now and engine light back on!
It's a beautiful car inside and out, and we are at a loss with what to do next. Have spent over $4000 plus cost of car in a month. Dealer has not charged us for O2 sensors, cracked vacuum line.
Computer Module???
Any other ideas?
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2019, 08:24 AM   #6
najnad
General of the Space Forces
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11 X3 35i M-sport

Garage List
Was it bought from a BMW dealership? Should have had some level of warrantee, even a short one, nice that they didnt charge for the O2 and vacuum line, but the other stuff should have been covered as well since you just bought it, in my opinion. When I bought my X3 used from a basic used car lot and found the front brakes needed changing a few days later, I complained and they replaced the pads and rotors at no charge.

What are the latest codes that have come up?

Have you tried getting an outside opinion of what it needs from an indy shop?
Current: 2020 X5 x40i M-Sport, Arctic Grey Metallic / Ivory White, Executive Package, Luggage Compartment Package, Integral Active Steering, Tow Package, Parking Assist Package, Driving Assist Package, M-Sport brakes, Tux Mats
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2019, 08:25 AM   #7
oVeRdOsE.
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F25 E91 Audi Avnt E90 Cayenne

having the code number will help...

Your light ''came back'' on , but it's because only the code was cleared and it takes few miles until it came back. Its probably always the same code.

Get a scanner tool and google the code.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2019, 08:41 AM   #8
ATLDawg
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 Xdrive28I

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLDawg View Post
Purchased a 2013 X3 from dealer with 74,000 miles in May 2019. Clean Carfax.
After one week of ownership, engine light came on. Took back to dealer, found no issues.
1 day later, engine light back on. We replaced Valve Cover, Timing Chain tensioner loose so on our own decision, we replaced the tensioner along with Timing Chain.
Engine Light back on after two days and this time told we need new fuel injector, breather hose, ignition coils.
Engine light back on after 1 day.
Back to dealer, worked on it for one week - Oxygen sensors replaced and cracked turbo vacuum line to exhaust valve.
Two days later now and engine light back on!
It's a beautiful car inside and out, and we are at a loss with what to do next. Have spent over $4000 plus cost of car in a month. Dealer has not charged us for O2 sensors, cracked vacuum line.
Computer Module???
Any other ideas?
Update on this crazy car - we received it back from the dealer two weeks ago, and next day engine light back on. Now they are replacing the Fuel Pump and driving another "cycle" to see if engine light comes back on again. Dealer has had their main foreman working on this car along with a regional rep from BMW, who came in last week to look at it.
What are the chances the DME needs to be replaced or electrical? If we could figure this issue out, it has all new engine parts at this point except the main engine. So, so frustrated. The positive is that we are driving new X3 M40i as a loaner!
Appreciate 0