BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

06-18-2018, 08:53 PM   #111
JayDub
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i

I've been following since posting a while back.

If I jumped into a used car I was going to buy, and heard this noise, I'd say "that's the front bearings" (just to further describe what it sounds like to me)

Agree--

Noted at 20mph, maxes out at 45mph, but still there at higher speeds

Varies with road surface, but never goes away

I've switched from 19" BS Dueler RFTs to 19" Michelin A/S 3+ non-RFT=no difference

Road surface=minimal difference, never gone

I cannot appreciate a difference between Comfort, Adaptive, and Sport.

Went back to my dealership and drove another M40i with Michelin Latitude RFTs--same noise.

My conclusions: normal for this car.

Solution: Put it in sport shift mode, and accelerate quickly up to my cruising speed, enjoying the way the exhaust note drowns out "that noise"
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2018, 09:58 PM   #112
Aaaaaaaaa
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: The other M3

M40i with adaptive suspension and 19" RFTs. No noise that I can perceive but only have about 200 miles on the car so far.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2018, 10:59 PM   #113
jakhlyki
United_States
Rep

I really believe that everyone on this thread is correct. It is not unusual for one person to hear noise that another person can’t. We can have different sensitivities to different sound frequencies. For those who don’t hear the noise, count yourself lucky!
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2018, 11:04 PM   #114
SSIMPS
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I heard a noise in mine today that sounded vaguely like the percolator noise in the video on the previous page. Mine sounded like it was coming from the dash or above area. I ended up pinpointing it to the SOS button cover. I opened it and then closed it and the noise was gone.

That all being said, I really don't have the same noise complaints (wind or otherwise) that seem to be bothering a lot of people. It's not the quietest car in the world, but I like the sound system as well as the exhaust note. I think it's perfect with ASD coded off.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2018, 04:02 PM   #115
freitz
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X3M40i 2018 & X128i 2014

After driving the X3 30i It also has the same noise. My wife's x1 from 2014. Has the same noise. Its a Harmonic noise from using Aluminum in the front of the body and noise echos from tires to suspension on certain roads. I think this is status quo and those of us not coming from a BMW x3 are probably just noticing more road noise.

I must say I don't notice it if not focusing on it... and it for sure is coming from front wheel wells not the dash for me.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2018, 04:08 PM   #116
ParadigmDawg
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2019 AMG GLC63s

Quote:
Originally Posted by freitz View Post
Another update to this saga for the group.

My Car
Jan. Production 2018
x3 M40i
M sport suspension
19" Bridgestone Alenza 001 RFT's

I went to another dealership today. Noticed as the car warms up and the tires warm up the noise becomes less obvious.

Recap Update
-Noise present only on certain roads for me
-Most obvious between 25-45 MPH
-Hollow Resonance sound, does not change pitch or tune with speed.

Drove around with the foreman, of course the roads are not producing the noise as much. He says sounds like normal road noise. We get in another x3 M40i with 21" M sport suspension Bridgestone Alenza 001 RFT's. The car makes the same noise but it is less. Important to note I have 3500 miles on my car already, this one had 40.

He felt my front tires noticed both are feathered, which is somewhat normal esp. with taking speed out of turns. Thinks that could be making it louder or my car as settled a bit more. I will have them do a full search next Tuesday. I couldn't leave the car today. I will probably have them replace the fronts with new ones to see if that changes as feathering at 3500 miles is rather early.

Conclusion
I am beginning to think this sound is normal in this car an in all other M cars. Those esp. with RFT's. They are not designed for executive luxury, they are motorsports cars. Made to connect you with the road. Major tradeoffs go into that.

M models have hydralic sterring, M sport struts and springs (which are incredibly stiff). I believe they change the control arm geometry, and width of the vehicle (not sure if applies to x3m40i). nmore aggressive electronic differential which will lock more frequently than the stock open one.

All of this contributes to road noise over less than perfect road condition. as both rear wheels will continue to spin even when one has less traction than the other.

Is there anyone out there with an M3 or M4 or even M2 or M240i that can confirm this? I've listened to just about ever video I could find of POV driving with camera position around drivers head. I am starting to notice the Hollow resonance sound in the videos as well.

What is the groups .02 cents?

**added note sound dampening the wheel well is do nothing as this noise is chassis related I believe.
My AMG is dead silent and it is all wheel drive on P-zeros.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2018, 04:10 PM   #117
freitz
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParadigmDawg View Post
My AMG is dead silent and it is all wheel drive on P-zeros.
Which AMG...

Dead silent as you don't have road noise? or dead Silent like a Lexus?
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2018, 04:14 PM   #118
ParadigmDawg
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Which AMG...

Dead silent as you don't have road noise? or dead Silent like a Lexus?
GLE 63S AMG. Dead silent on road noise. Nasty sounding 600 hp V-8. I am just saying all wheel drive isn't the issue.

Appreciate 0
      06-29-2018, 04:18 PM   #119
freitz
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParadigmDawg View Post
GLE 63S AMG. Dead silent on road noise. Nasty sounding 600 hp V-8. I am just saying all wheel drive isn't the issue.

I mean to be fair that is not even in the same class. I think the new X5 M 2019 is probably quieter then this car....

Thats 110k at least.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2018, 04:23 PM   #120
ParadigmDawg
Captain
Rep

Quote:
I mean to be fair that is not even in the same class. I think the new X5 M 2019 is probably quieter then this car....

Thats 110k at least.
118...lol..

I actually like the M40M better and I have it faster than the AMG.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2018, 07:42 PM   #121
PFDnorthhills
Rep
Drives: X5 40e

I thought I would provide an update to this thread for those who are living with the noise problem.
After much thought I have moved on from owning the X3 40M.
It was a very difficult decision, I absolutely loved the performance, handling, and many features of my build.
I just could not live with the noise that is generated into the passenger cabin as been described by those in this thread.
In the simplest of terms a third consult with a BMW Field Representative stated, "it's caused by the use of aluminum components, body, and interaction with suspension, there is no fix for the sound."
As a member stated in the thread, jakhlyki, if you do not have it, count yourself lucky.
How so many have this situation and others don't is still somewhat of a mystery. I have accepted that is just levels of hearing by individuals.
The advice of the Field Rep was to test drive other models for the harmonic noise as other models may be the same.
He thought the X5 would be the best choice. After our tests drives we agreed. Several weeks ago we completed the purchase. Not a transaction, from a financial perspective, was not enjoyable.
We now have an X5, very pleased with the vehicle, much larger than my wife and I require but have gotten used to it.
I have enjoyed the calls, emails and PM's with members from Maryland, California, and Texas though this great forum. Especially Jeff with his thoughtful insight, humor, and friendship.
Jeffhou73 has provided a sound file that I can play durning startup, that's one of the things I'll miss most about the X3.
Sadly the X3 remains on the dealer lot, hopefully it will be purchased by someone less discerning.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2018, 08:56 PM   #122
XXX3
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

2018 X3 M40i
April 2018 build date
No adaptive suspension
19 in wheels w/Bridgestone run flats
1400 miles

I noticed this “road noise” from day one. I would describe the noise like that of worn wheel bearings. It begins at about 25 mph and remains consistent regardless of speed and varies slightly with road surface. Not what I expected in my first BMW.
2013 Boss 302 Race Red (sold)

Last edited by XXX3; 08-05-2018 at 11:58 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2018, 10:39 PM   #123
JeffHou73
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by PFDnorthhills View Post
I thought I would provide an update to this thread for those who are living with the noise problem.
After much thought I have moved on from owning the X3 40M.
It was a very difficult decision, I absolutely loved the performance, handling, and many features of my build.
I just could not live with the noise that is generated into the passenger cabin as been described by those in this thread.
In the simplest of terms a third consult with a BMW Field Representative stated, "it's caused by the use of aluminum components, body, and interaction with suspension, there is no fix for the sound."
As a member stated in the thread, jakhlyki, if you do not have it, count yourself lucky.
How so many have this situation and others don't is still somewhat of a mystery. I have accepted that is just levels of hearing by individuals.
The advice of the Field Rep was to test drive other models for the harmonic noise as other models may be the same.
He thought the X5 would be the best choice. After our tests drives we agreed. Several weeks ago we completed the purchase. Not a transaction, from a financial perspective, was not enjoyable.
We now have an X5, very pleased with the vehicle, much larger than my wife and I require but have gotten used to it.
I have enjoyed the calls, emails and PM's with members from Maryland, California, and Texas though this great forum. Especially Jeff with his thoughtful insight, humor, and friendship.
Jeffhou73 has provided a sound file that I can play durning startup, that's one of the things I'll miss most about the X3.
Sadly the X3 remains on the dealer lot, hopefully it will be purchased by someone less discerning.
Paul - I have to say that the best experience for me has been the privilege of getting to know you over the past several months. You've helped me keep a relatively level head as I've floated several hair-brained ideas your way to try to isolate the noise issue.

I fully understand your decision to get out of the X3 M40i and I am also working on making a non-economical move as well at ending my relationship with mine as well, with just over 6 months and only 3,000 miles. It's really sad but, like you, you can't spend the rest of your life just living with things like this. Its simply an unfortunate situation.

I only have one disappointment with you. I am still convinced that, had you purchased some good sound cancelling headphones, you would have never had a problem with the noise in the M40i. You refused to try this before making the swap for the X5. Granted, it would have looked very funny and, of course, been unsafe and likely illegal, but being a BMW driver, maybe you could get away with it if you were stopped. Oh well, its not like we didn't give the best college try we could before you made the move. I'll let you know if/when I do something similar to you.

Btw - if anyone is looking for a beautiful 6 month old X3 M40i with 3,000 miles on, dark graphite, 21-inch wheels with most of the drive assistant options, etc. and either live near the Houston area or were looking for an excuse to visit, let me know. I'm sure we can make a good deal between us!
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2018, 03:59 AM   #124
Lux700
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d - Black Sapphire

I've followed this thread and can totally sympathise with anyone who has these unwanted noises. In my opinion, if the noise/sound heard is annoying then in shouldn't be there. We drive these cars because we are discerning and therefore expect a good level of refinement. I'll bet if when buying the car, if you'd asked the salesman, do these cars have any annoying rattles, he'd have told you that 'our cars are very refined and won't have such noises, but should you experience anything you are not happy with please bring it back (this is where they then tell you 'it's normal'!).

I have an M40d on order and am hoping that I don't get this particular noise - it'd drive me nuts. I currently have an F31 335d xdrive. From new it had one very annoying squeak from the driver's seat and a clunk from the front o/s (right-hand drive car). Four visits to the dealership for both issues, the first 3 respective visits... it's normal sir! Yeah, right... Persistence pays. Steering rack changed, cured - clunk has never materialised again (that was 3 ½ years ago); seat subframe changed, squeak gone... it's never returned.

It annoys me that BMW, and the dealers, rate their cars as being prestigious yet it seems that whenever a customer has an issue, their first few responses are to tell them it's normal. I suppose for those who go away and accept it, it must save BMW fortunes.

I'm now seriously considering cancelling the X3 and getting a tried and sorted X5 40d bargain?
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2018, 05:22 AM   #125
Legis
Private
Rep

Can’t find if it’s been mentioned, but does this noise exist even on vehicles having the acoustic glass option on front side windows?
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2018, 02:40 PM   #126
AndreG
United_States
Rep
Drives: F13 650 coupe

Hey guys, Thanks for all your support and confirming that I was not crazy when I complained about the noise. Got out of my X3 M40 as well. Could not handle the noise issue.I drove the new X4 M40: it has the same problem. Have not decided on what to buy next: 2019 X5 (big), Macan S/GTS (expensive), SQ5 (have you seen that grille?! exhausts are hidden), GLC 43 AMG? The first three are in a model transition (the Macan and SQ 5 will have only modest changes) and carry all the risks associated with that as we found out. Would like to stay in a BMW but I might not have a choice. Any thoughts are welcome. Take care.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2018, 11:51 AM   #127
freitz
Lieutenant
Rep

Wow I am shocked to see those moved to other vehicles. I've test drove everything. Any Model under a X5 or 5 series has this noise. I've either ignored it or gotten use to it. Or the roads have improved near my house. I only hear on certain roads. I bought mine used loaner off the lot so lemon the car is not an option.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2018, 04:24 PM   #128
pokey63t
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 sDrive 30i

Add me to the list of those experiencing the strange noise. Just purchased 2019 X3 sDrive30i a week ago. Did not notice the noise when test driving but radio was on, sales guy was talking and was on a freshly paved expressway. Same symptoms as others have described...road surface seems to play a role but it is always there to some level. Has anyone gotten any resolution? I haven't yet spoken with the dealer / shop about it.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2018, 04:43 PM   #129
freitz
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokey63t View Post
Add me to the list of those experiencing the strange noise. Just purchased 2019 X3 sDrive30i a week ago. Did not notice the noise when test driving but radio was on, sales guy was talking and was on a freshly paved expressway. Same symptoms as others have described...road surface seems to play a role but it is always there to some level. Has anyone gotten any resolution? I haven't yet spoken with the dealer / shop about it.
This is a normal noise of these cars.
Many of us have confirmed in this thread with driving multiple ones.

2018 x3m40i

Noise is from the newer design. Lighter frame echos the noise around the body. Tires don’t help either.

Confirmed noise is the same as my wife’s x1 from 2014 made in Germany. Chip roads far worse. Noise is normal see video I posted a few pages back. I’ve forgotten about the noise all together after a few months of testing everything.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2018, 05:11 PM   #130
XXX3
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

My 2016 Tundra TRD Pro was quieter inside than this 2018 X3 M40i. Drove on old concrete freeways in Los Angeles last week and the noise was awful, especially with the rattle in the drivers door. I just tolerate it and wait for smooth asphalt straight aways; that’s when the fun begins!
2013 Boss 302 Race Red (sold)
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2018, 05:13 PM   #131
freitz
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXX3 View Post
My 2016 Tundra TRD Pro was quieter inside than this 2018 X3 M40i. Drove on old concrete freeways in Los Angeles last week and the noise was awful, especially with the rattle in the drivers door. I just tolerate it and wait for smooth asphalt straight aways; that’s when the fun begins!
Not really a fair comparison. Much higher off the ground, totally different frame. Go drive an Audi sq5 same noise. Or rs4 or m3 or any of those all have same noise. Trucks are way higher off the ground and the frame attaches differently so sound transfer is completely different.

I would get the noise in door looked at.

I will say this car is really fun.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2018, 05:15 PM   #132
freitz
Lieutenant
Rep

One user switched to x5 said it solved his issues but I drove the new x5 same noise to me
Appreciate 0