BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

06-06-2018, 11:42 AM   #89
freitz
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X3M40i 2018 & X128i 2014

About to test drive another x3 m40i to see. I am at the dealership now and the shop manager said the noise is just road noise. For me only present on certain roads.

Last edited by freitz; 06-06-2018 at 01:23 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2018, 01:22 PM   #90
freitz
Lieutenant
Rep

BMW X3 M40i Noise Percolator Update

In an effort to make this thread productive here are my findings. Hope this helps the group. It could be some people do not have roads near them that would produce the noise.

BMW X3 M40i Percolator Noise Update:

Here is the a video recording of the sound which is present only on certain roadways for me.

1. BMW X3 M40i
2. Production Date January 2018
3. I am experieince the nusiance noise as described above.
4. I have taken to two dealers and will post findings below.
5. BridgeStone Alenza Tires 19" rims

Dealer visit summarized

Today I took to my local BMW dealership. I drove around with both the Foreman and the service manager. Noise was present only on certain roads. Both believe noise is normal based on what they have heard on other BMW's / x3 M40i's.

Asked to drive another X3 M40i on the lot.

Dealer x3 M40i Production Date May 2018 Test Drive
1. Bridgestone Dueler tires (different then mine) Also 19" Rims
2. x3 M40i stock suspension same as mine

I test drove the above model. As it turns out the sound was present on the same roads where mine was present. Spent about 45 minutes with my car with the Service Manager and about 20 minutes with the one someone else ordered for testing. The tires where even different but both where Bridgestones.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think maybe this noise is present in every M40i. I imagine that the luckilyhood of me driving a 5 month new production model then mine having the identical noise would be rare. Also two different tires while both Bridgestone.

Maybe my noise is not as prounced as everyone elses but from the video the feedback as been that it is the same. I believe I am the only one able to record the noise.

Summary of my conclusion

This noise is only present on certain roads, on fresh roads I have no noise. It doesn't have to be the most aggressive road either. Sometimes on the most aggressive roads the noise cannot be heard. Weather seems to effect noise level. Rainy wet roads tend to produce a louder noise. Really Hot roads (which we know asphalt heats up and becomes softer) the noise is less. Is anyone riding on different tires then the bridgestones? Anyone try Michelins? The service manager says he has a M3 and his is considerably louder with bridgestones then Michelins or Conti. He also said that it sounds similar to his and the conscience has been the tighter sport suspension contributes to the louder noise.

I am not sure where to go from here, the noise is there but I am not sure if it is normal or not based on my test drive. Please feel free to chime in for the betterment of the group.

*Could be tires or combination or tires with the Tighter Sport suspension or the M adaptive suspension. My noise is road specific.
Appreciate 1
abcsoup184.50
      06-06-2018, 04:14 PM   #91
Dzo
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M3 Comp. xDrive

Judging from what I can hear thru my iphone, it doesn’t sound like what I experience with my M40i.
There are some roads here that are very noisy but they have been with all my cars and for years, and I know they are. But except for these roads, my car is quiet. And certainly quieter than my former 220d.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2018, 04:18 PM   #92
freitz
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dzo View Post
Judging from what I can hear thru my iphone, it doesn’t sound like what I experience with my M40i.
There are some roads here that are very noisy but they have been with all my cars and for years, and I know they are. But except for these roads, my car is quiet. And certainly quieter than my former 220d.
Not sure I understand what you are saying. Can you clarify?

Are you saying that the noise in my video is different then the noise issue you have?

Are you saying the noise in my video I have is louder and not something you have experienced?

Or are you saying the noise in the video is something you only experience on these very noisy roads?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I can also confirm that except for these roads my car is quiet. Can also confirm that the road where the noise is most obvious is also noisy for other cars except for ones with high tire walls.

I also found this video where the voice is clear just as in my video right around 6 minutes. I think he is driving in Germany somewhere.

START THE VIDEO at 5:45... Noise heard right around 6:00 and onward.

Listened with Headphones.

Last edited by freitz; 06-06-2018 at 04:29 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2018, 05:26 PM   #93
M40iGuy
Building http://x3M40i.com
Canada
Rep
Drives: '18 M40i

March Build (Canada)
21" Bridgestones
X3 M40
Adaptive Suspension

I notice Road noise on some roads. The Adaptive Suspension setting doesn't change the noise.

I do notice it to be loud, but I can't speak to the noise relative to other bimmers or cars in it's class.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2018, 06:34 PM   #94
freitz
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M40iGuy View Post
March Build (Canada)
21" Bridgestones
X3 M40
Adaptive Suspension

I notice Road noise on some roads. The Adaptive Suspension setting doesn't change the noise.

I do notice it to be loud, but I can't speak to the noise relative to other bimmers or cars in it's class.
Is your road noise the same as my video?
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2018, 09:39 PM   #95
JeffHou73
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i

Nice work, freitz, but I can't say I hear the "percolator" noise in your video. Maybe I'll go listen again with some headphones.

However, I was at the dealer today and was able to drive an M40i on the lot, which had the same 21-inch wheels and Bridgestone tires I have on my car. The "percolator" sound is identical to the sound on my car. The technician made a couple of comments about the sound: 1. He is curious if the noise could be the air that is being shot directly onto the tires through the front vents in that area. 2. He also mentioned that they have had X5's come in with choppy treads on the outside from poor wheel alignment that said resembled the sound we are hearing - but twice or three times as loud.

We could just have crappy Bridgestone tires that need to be swapped out. They are not getting good reviews. However, has there been any witnesses/verification of other tire brands on M40's that are not making noise?
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2018, 12:44 AM   #96
jakhlyki
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i

The noise is present with my 20” pirelli run-flats, and it appears that 19” run-flats are also affected.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2018, 12:54 PM   #97
freitz
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffHou73 View Post
Nice work, freitz, but I can't say I hear the "percolator" noise in your video. Maybe I'll go listen again with some headphones.

However, I was at the dealer today and was able to drive an M40i on the lot, which had the same 21-inch wheels and Bridgestone tires I have on my car. The "percolator" sound is identical to the sound on my car. The technician made a couple of comments about the sound: 1. He is curious if the noise could be the air that is being shot directly onto the tires through the front vents in that area. 2. He also mentioned that they have had X5's come in with choppy treads on the outside from poor wheel alignment that said resembled the sound we are hearing - but twice or three times as loud.

We could just have crappy Bridgestone tires that need to be swapped out. They are not getting good reviews. However, has there been any witnesses/verification of other tire brands on M40's that are not making noise?
To me it seems like tires are the cause. I would create a poll at the beginning of the thread to see how many people have the bridgestones.

The one I test drove also has bridgestones. Would also be nice if more can confirm my video noise.

The good news is it doesn't appear to be a problem with our vehicles. Does not seem to be manufacturing date specific either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakhlyki View Post
The noise is present with my 20” pirelli run-flats, and it appears that 19” run-flats are also affected.
It could be the run flats themselves harder and louder tires.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2018, 01:18 PM   #98
JeffHou73
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by freitz View Post
To me it seems like tires are the cause. I would create a poll at the beginning of the thread to see how many people have the bridgestones.

The one I test drove also has bridgestones. Would also be nice if more can confirm my video noise.

The good news is it doesn't appear to be a problem with our vehicles. Does not seem to be manufacturing date specific either.

It could be the run flats themselves harder and louder tires.
Perhaps you've not noticed PDFnorthhills' posts. He has the noise and is running non-RFT's. So, not specific only to RFT's.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2018, 01:19 PM   #99
freitz
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffHou73 View Post
Perhaps you've not noticed PDFnorthhills' posts. He has the noise and is running non-RFT's. So, not specific only to RFT's.
I can't say I combed through the thread that closely. Does he have non RFT bridgestones?
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2018, 04:37 PM   #100
PFDnorthhills
Rep
Drives: X5 40e

Ok everyone, this is going to be a short explanation of what I have done in regard to the noise issue, and what I will be doing to try in solve it.
I have been to the original dealer where the car was purchased, and had the service tech try to identify the issue.
It was not resolved. A Regional Rep then came to look at the car. There was what I would call a poor explanation as to the cause. It simply was stated to be normal.
Not being happy with that I contacted customer relations. That led to a contact with BMW Corporate Headquarters.
Again a meeting was set up with the same Regional Rep.
His explanation was more informative.
"It's the tires! Further all BMW's make this sound."
Not being totally convinced I asked to drive a car on the lot.
My impression is that there was a slight noise, but not like my car.
The explanation was that "the car will make the same noise after it has miles on it."
So I'm not the easiest guy to buy that, but at this point BMW wants to close the open complaint.
That's the short version of the last 4 months.
What's surprising, is that if it is the tires why would BMW not offer to provide some compensation for new tires.
Now on to trying to solve this issue. I went to the local tire provider near my town.
I went in there thinking I know what I wanted as they are a retailer for several brands including what I wanted. I left ordering some Continental Extreme Contact tires, I was thinking Michelins. The Continentals are non run flat.
I ordered the spare tire option so am not concerned about a flat.
When they are installed I will post if it fixed the problem, that's all I have to say at this point.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2018, 04:49 PM   #101
ParadigmDawg
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2019 AMG GLC63s

Quote:
Originally Posted by PFDnorthhills View Post
Ok everyone, this is going to be a short explanation of what I have done in regard to the noise issue, and what I will be doing to try in solve it.
I have been to the original dealer where the car was purchased, and had the service tech try to identify the issue.
It was not resolved. A Regional Rep then came to look at the car. There was what I would call a poor explanation as to the cause. It simply was stated to be normal.
Not being happy with that I contacted customer relations. That led to a contact with BMW Corporate Headquarters.
The explanation was that "the car will make the same noise after it has miles on it."
So I'm not the easiest guy to buy that, but at this point BMW wants to close the open complaint.
What's surprising, is that if it is the tires why would BMW not offer to provide some compensation for new tires.
Now on to trying to solve this issue. I went to the local tire provider near my town.
I went in there thinking I know what I wanted as they are a retailer for several brands including what I wanted. I left ordering some Continental Extreme Contact tires, I was thinking Michelins. The Continentals are non run flat.
When they are installed I will post if it fixed the problem, that's all I have to say at this point.
I bet it helps, curious to find out as my BStones are so hard and loud. I am doing me best to wear them out quickly.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2018, 06:33 PM   #102
jakhlyki
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thank you for the update, looking forward to good results.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2018, 07:40 PM   #103
freitz
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Also really looking forward to these results. The X1 has a similar sound on the same road but it is not quite as noticeable because of all the wind noise in that car. (we have 2014 fully loaded executive package)
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2018, 07:55 PM   #104
freitz
Lieutenant
Rep

Any news / update on this thread?
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2018, 09:28 AM   #105
freitz
Lieutenant
Rep

Updates M40i whirring noise

Updates

-Noticed the noise is best heard at around 40mph.

-Turning does not effect the noise.

-Noise is effected by road surface, if it is present on all roads cannot be heard on certain roads. Loudest on Grooved roads

-Noise is constant and not effected by speed, if it is can no longer hear it on most roads about 50mph.

-Noise is harmonic whirrling to my best description.

-Hoping it is tire noise, would seem unlikely that all of us have bad wheel bearings or front differential noise.

Anyone have other thoughts.

I am considering going to another dealer and driving another M40i to confirm.

I lowered my tire pressure from 32 in the front to 30.5 and 36 in the rear to 34 noticed the noise was lessened can anyone else test this to confirm.

Important to note I hear the same noise in this m3 video, can anyone else confirm that they hear this as well? I hear at 3:40 second mark, right about when he changes from turning to the bridge.

Last edited by freitz; 06-11-2018 at 11:12 AM.. Reason: Researching and coming up with more conclusion to this noise.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2018, 03:05 PM   #106
freitz
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayDub View Post
March 2018 build
M40i with adaptive suspension
19" Bridgestone Dueler run flats

SO glad to hear that others have noticed this noise! I moved from an E83 X3 to the G01, and everything about the new car is more quiet except the start up exhaust note and this low pitched perolating rumble.

To me, it sounds like its road noise from the front tires, except as others have noted, it starts at low speed and doesn't increase proportionately with higher speeds. Better on smoother roads, but never gone.

I was swapping out wheels to test for fit (BTW, the 647M off the front of the 640i fit perfectly) and noted that there is a duct opening in the front of the wheel well that appears to direct air from the front cowling right onto the brake discs

Certainly could be a factor. I'm mounting up some NON run flats for a track day next week (Michelin A/S 3+) and will compare relative sound noise level, the report back to y'all. If I have opportunity today, while running errands, I'll see if I can get some duct tape over those wheel well openings without having to remove the wheels. High speed should certainly "blow off" the duct tape, but if this is the culprit, sound should be gone or different at 20-30 mph
Did you ever get around to testing this?
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2018, 07:10 PM   #107
PFDnorthhills
Rep
Drives: X5 40e

I installed Continental Extreme Contact non run flat tires on the car. It did not solve the noise issue despite being told by Field Rep from BMW that the tires that came on the car were the problem.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2018, 12:01 AM   #108
jakhlyki
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I installed Continental Extreme Contact non run flat tires on the car. It did not solve the noise issue despite being told by Field Rep from BMW that the tires that came on the car were the problem.
That’s disappointing news. Sorry you had to go through that.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2018, 02:42 AM   #109
freitz
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
They do a new alignment? Any odd wear on your old tires?

I’ve been watching videos and can somewhat hear similar harmonics in any of the m videos and assume the tighter suspension and everything else could be playing a role in the amplication of the sound.

The x1 on run flats is also similar sounding but not nearly
Pronounced on the noisiest roads.

I will be going to another dealer today to check bearings etc. I will also drive a m40i while there to make sure sound is consistent. I have a feeling it is across all of them.

Anyone with a 30i reporting this issue?
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2018, 01:01 PM   #110
freitz
Lieutenant
Rep

Update - Different Dealership Same Results

Another update to this saga for the group.

My Car
Jan. Production 2018
x3 M40i
M sport suspension
19" Bridgestone Alenza 001 RFT's

I went to another dealership today. Noticed as the car warms up and the tires warm up the noise becomes less obvious.

Recap Update
-Noise present only on certain roads for me
-Most obvious between 25-45 MPH
-Hollow Resonance sound, does not change pitch or tune with speed.

Drove around with the foreman, of course the roads are not producing the noise as much. He says sounds like normal road noise. We get in another x3 M40i with 21" M sport suspension Bridgestone Alenza 001 RFT's. The car makes the same noise but it is less. Important to note I have 3500 miles on my car already, this one had 40.

He felt my front tires noticed both are feathered, which is somewhat normal esp. with taking speed out of turns. Thinks that could be making it louder or my car as settled a bit more. I will have them do a full search next Tuesday. I couldn't leave the car today. I will probably have them replace the fronts with new ones to see if that changes as feathering at 3500 miles is rather early.

Conclusion
I am beginning to think this sound is normal in this car an in all other M cars. Those esp. with RFT's. They are not designed for executive luxury, they are motorsports cars. Made to connect you with the road. Major tradeoffs go into that.

M models have hydralic sterring, M sport struts and springs (which are incredibly stiff). I believe they change the control arm geometry, and width of the vehicle (not sure if applies to x3m40i). nmore aggressive electronic differential which will lock more frequently than the stock open one.

All of this contributes to road noise over less than perfect road condition. as both rear wheels will continue to spin even when one has less traction than the other.

Is there anyone out there with an M3 or M4 or even M2 or M240i that can confirm this? I've listened to just about ever video I could find of POV driving with camera position around drivers head. I am starting to notice the Hollow resonance sound in the videos as well.

What is the groups .02 cents?

**added note sound dampening the wheel well is do nothing as this noise is chassis related I believe.

Last edited by freitz; 06-13-2018 at 08:24 PM..
Appreciate 0