BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

12-08-2018, 08:33 PM   #1
LostX
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: N/A

Accessories

What accessories do you recommend getting upon purchase (e.g., mats, wheel locks, first aid)?

What else?
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2018, 01:58 AM   #2
darrylo
Head Idiot
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 G01 X3 x30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostX View Post
What accessories do you recommend getting upon purchase (e.g., mats, wheel locks, first aid)?
  • The car comes with floor mats (nothing for the cargo area). They're pretty cheap and basic, but they're better than nothing. I'd recommend replacing these with weather-resistant mats, including one for the cargo area, but all this is really up to you.

• If you have apple devices, you need to get some good cigarette-lighter-to-usb-charger adapters. The USB ports in the car, as well as the BMW cigarette lighter adapter, are junk.

• A good wash/detailing setup.

• Maybe ceramic tinting to cut down on heat.

• Ceramic coating or paint protection film (PPF) for the paint. Can be eye-popping expensive, though.

Appreciate 1
JoshV14.50
      12-09-2018, 12:27 PM   #3
LostX
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Thank you - Ceramic tinting is new to me (as is Ceramic coating), I'll have to research. Also in NY, window tint is measured upon inspection each year. I'm not sure what is legal on the front windows.

I'll lookup adapters now as well.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2018, 12:48 PM   #4
MechX3M40i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i Blue/Cognac

Quote:
Thank you - Ceramic tinting is new to me (as is Ceramic coating), I'll have to research. Also in NY, window tint is measured upon inspection each year. I'm not sure what is legal on the front windows.

I'll lookup adapters now as well.
Amazon has plenty of good usb chargers. I recommend you get a dual 2.4A for fast charging, and flush mount adaptors should look better. Order 2 if you can find them on Lightening Deal. Here's an example. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N6C7U5W...sms_tai_tmwdCb
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2018, 01:17 PM   #5
LostX
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MechX3M40i View Post
Amazon has plenty of good usb chargers. I recommend you get a dual 2.4A for fast charging, and flush mount adaptors should look better. Order 2 if you can find them on Lightening Deal. Here's an example. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N6C7U5W...sms_tai_tmwdCb
I have wireless charging, shouldn't i be using that?

Also, any recommendation on a ipad holder for back seats (for kids)?
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2018, 01:28 PM   #6
MechX3M40i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Also, any recommendation on a ipad holder for back seats (for kids)?
It's up to you my friend. I don't have wireless charging so I need those extra USB ports. Some Other members commented that the Wireless charging is slow, so you need to keep an eye out on your phone's battery status since CarPlay connects with your phone via WiFi and at least in my case, my phone's battery will be drained out fast because of this connection, if I don't keep my phone plugged in.

I suspect the wireless charging is only about half as fast as the 2.4A USB ports. But you can experiment with it.

I would at least get one and keep it for the back passengers. The OEM BMW charger comes with the car only has 2.1A combined for both ports so that is also slow.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2018, 01:41 PM   #7
MechX3M40i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

IPad holders from BMW. https://www.getbmwparts.com/c-travel-comfort-system-15

There are many cheaper 'universal' iPad holders from Amazon but you have to check them out yourself and see which design is acceptable to you.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2018, 02:09 PM   #8
darrylo
Head Idiot
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Ceramic tinting is supposed to block out maybe 50-60% of the heat. Nice for areas that get moderately hot, but may not help if it gets super hot (half of hellishly hot is still hellishly hot). (Note that the moonroof cover is not opaque, and you can see sunlight through it. It can let in a fair amount of heat.)

You can think of ceramic coating as a better form of car wax/acrylic sealant that can last years. It makes the car easier to wash (crud doesn't stick as well), and also helps to prevent damage from things like bird poop/tree sap (you still have to remove these fairly quickly).

Quote:
Seconded. Those are what I'm using, and they're great. However, while they can charge the latest iPhones and iPads, they don't have USB C, and so they won't necessarily charge the quickest for any with a USB C connector. (I'm still looking for a flush-mount USB C charger.)

Quote:
The issue with the BMW wireless charger is that iPhones will treat it as a slow 5W charger. Works, but slow. As others mentioned, there are separate wireless chargers that you can plug into the cigarette lighter ports, but these chargers still charge iPhones slower than a wired connection.

Wireless charging is convenient, but slow. If you need fast charging, you need to use a wired connection with a charger like the one above.
Appreciate 1
JoshV14.50
      12-09-2018, 05:41 PM   #9
rem40i
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3MC Comp

Get one of these...it makes the center console so much more functional.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Black-Cente...item3b2361ecba
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2018, 06:55 PM   #10
BobsM3Coupe
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5MC

Most decent dealers will throw in a set of wheel locks. But, sometimes you need to ask.
Appreciate 1
      12-09-2018, 09:18 PM   #11
Hispeed4fun
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 X5

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

armrest organizer is great.

Toll pass holder without strips works great just suction cup.

Flush charger. got 2 of them.

Tablet holder works well and fully adjustable.
Appreciate 2
shoptb176.00
JoshV14.50
      12-09-2018, 09:52 PM   #12
admranger
Retired Curmudgeon
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘19 X3M40i, ‘18 m550i

Quote:
Originally Posted by rem40i View Post
Get one of these...it makes the center console so much more functional.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Black-Cente...item3b2361ecba
Thanks! This looks like a great accessory to have!

'19 X3 M40 Carbon Black/Oyster, '23 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Summit, Past BMWs: '18 M550i, '18 330 GT, '16 X5 40e, '11 E90M3, '06 X5 4.4, '03 330i ZHP, '02 M3, '97 Z3 2.8, '95 M3 (2x), '94 530i (manual), '92 525i (manual), '88 M3, '87 325iS
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2018, 06:57 PM   #13
jcorallo
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i

I went ahead and got two of these - one for the front and one for the back. They dont have any LED lights that stay on so zero drain on the battery.

I got the BMW all season floor mats and the cargo mat.

Removed the rear badges except for the "M" and added the "m" above the side vents in the front since my car was after the badging change,

Got a US mill works license plate mount for the front and a BMW license plate frame for the back instead of the dealer one.

Downloaded bimmer code app and a OBD v=bluetooth adapter to take off the liability warning, the auto start/stop feature and the Dynamic sound for now.

Will be getting IND body colored front reflectors.

Thats about all my recomendations.

Also got a coated socket for the lug nuts and two jack pads.
Appreciate 1
JoshV14.50
      12-11-2018, 11:05 AM   #14
MOWells
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 XDrive30i 2019

Any recommendations for a car cover?
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2018, 11:44 AM   #15
Paavju
Private
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 30e

I bought these for rear door sills: from Ebay.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2018, 11:52 AM   #16
LostX
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paavju View Post
I bought these for rear door sills: [IMG]https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/PvEAA...X25/s-l500.jpg[/IMG] from Ebay.
Link? And pic of your vehicle?
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2018, 12:02 PM   #17
Paavju
Private
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 30e

They are on the way, so not picture yet. I had same ones on F25, and I am pretty sure they will fit also on G01. One link here: https://www.ebay.com/itm/2PCS-Rear-D...2:pf:0&vxp=mtr Just wondering why those are not installed as standard, at least in Finland X3's are more expensive than 5 series, and lacking those tiny pieces....

Last edited by Paavju; 12-11-2018 at 12:08 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2018, 12:12 PM   #18
fricfracfrank
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOWells View Post
I would skip a car cover. Any trapped dirt underneath the cover or on the paint will cause fine scratching when the two surfaces rub against each other. That is if you really care about this type of thing. I'm a bit obsessive lol.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2018, 09:00 PM   #19
darrylo
Head Idiot
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fricfracfrank View Post
I would skip a car cover. Any trapped dirt underneath the cover or on the paint will cause fine scratching when the two surfaces rub against each other. That is if you really care about this type of thing. I'm a bit obsessive lol.
This. A cover just helps to add microscratches and swirlies to the paint.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2018, 11:38 PM   #20
calintexas
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i

Car Cover Experience

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOWells View Post
I've used covers for almost 50 years. They are great for keeping your car clean in the garage and can be useful out doors to reduce sun damage. I use Covercraft brand custom fitted covers. Currently, I prefer the WeatherShield HP fabric. These covers aren't cheap, but they do fit well, are very durable, and it's my experience that Covercraft backs their products. The keys to not damaging your car's paint are to only put the cover on a clean car, develop a technique for installing the cover and removing it that you do the same every time which allows you to not rub the cover across the paint and to only touch the car with the underside (clean side) of the cover. I start at the driver's side mirror hooking the mirror pocket over the mirror, then roll the cover across the car to the passenger side hooking the passenger side mirror pocket over the mirror. I then roll/unfold the cover over the roof and on down over the back of the car. After that's complete, I roll/unfold the front portion of the cover over the hood. You then want to check that the cover is hanging down properly all around the car. If you are going to use the cover outside, you want to be sure the elastic front and rear are under the car so that the cover is well attached to the car. You also want to use a rope to tie the cover down using the supplied grommets in approximately the middle of the cover. When using the cover outside, you want to know what the weather will be that day. You want to park so that your car is in line with the wind that day, and you probably don't want to use it if it's going to rain. That said, I can't tell you how many times I've ran out to the parking lot at work to pull a cover off because of an unexpected weather change or I'd just decided to risk it that day. A wet cover is really a pain to deal with. As I recall the Weathershield HP material is water proof, but the cover is not seam sealed. Plus the material breathes; so, if you can leave the cover on in the rain and let everything dry with the cover still on, all will be well.

Covers are a bit of a pain, but for that effort you can go much longer between washes and surface protection (wax, sealant, rubber, plastic dressings) applications and cut the sun exposure your car endures way down. Our 2001 Accord at 110K miles is a great example of what long term use of a cover can achieve. The car has nearly perfect factory original gold metallic paint, a nearly new looking cloth interior, and unoxidized original headlight covers.

The size of the X3 makes getting a cover on and off and just dealing with the size of the cover a difficult proposition. My wife and I are retired , and don't have the issue of daily sun exposure for any of our cars, and I don't expect the X3 to sit in the garage much; so, for me, it's unlikely that I'll buy a cover for my new X3.

The 2010 M3 pictured as my signature that I'd owned from new has sadly just been sold. I have an X3 M40i on order. I'll update the photos as I figure out how to use the site again. It's been several years since I've been here (on the M3 forum) regularly.
Attached Images

Last edited by calintexas; 12-14-2018 at 05:13 PM.. Reason: Added photos as example of my statements
Appreciate 2
rem40i132.00
JoshV14.50
      12-12-2018, 08:39 AM   #21
shoptb
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 G01 X3 m40i

Since those of us in the United States aren't given the option of the automatic fragrance system (Ambient Air) in our X3s, I have found that I really like the manual diffuser that can be placed over the vents. The diffuser takes fragrance sticks that can be purchased in 6 different scents. I personally like "Sparkling Raindrops" and "Woods" scents, but preferences vary.

https://www.bmwpartswholesale.com/oe...AaAullEALw_wcB
MechX3M40i1006.00
rem40i132.00
JoshV14.50
      12-12-2018, 08:48 AM   #22
MechX3M40i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoptb View Post
Since those of us in the United States aren't given the option of the automatic fragrance system in our X3s, I have found that I really like the manual diffuser that can be placed over the vents. The diffuser takes fragrance sticks that can be purchased in 6 different scents. I personally like "Sparkling Raindrops" and "Woods" scents, but preferences vary.

https://www.bmwpartswholesale.com/oe...AaAullEALw_wcB
It's hard to pay over $20 for the fragrance starter kit but my dealer threw that in a 'gift basket' for me when I took delivery of my X3 (together with a traveling mug of my choice, a bottle of BMW glass cleaner, 3 packs of wipes, a couple of BMW logo key rings, and a small bottle of bubblies ). I found the fragrance holder fits the vent nicely like hand in a glove and it's visually pleasing, as if it were integrated there. So I went ahead and ordered a few boxes of refills as Christmas gift to myself!
Appreciate 2
shoptb176.00
JoshV14.50