BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

02-12-2024, 02:03 PM   #155
Burr001
Lieutenant Colonel
Philippines
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3 M40i

Garage List
2022 BMW x3 m40i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Must_Go_FASTER View Post
Got the system installed Saturday, did some troubleshooting yesterday before the game, and have it narrowed down to two issues.

First, in efficient mode at idle I'm getting a tapping/ticking/puttering noise. Mostly from the passenger side muffler exit pipe. Doesn't sound like pipes rattling. Unsure if this is a defect in the muffler or installer error on my part. The noise lessens dramatically in S+. Going to go back and double check the clamps and make sure it's not leaking, although I'm not confident that's the issue.

Second, I've ordered a SST exhaust flap controller and here's why. The OEM controller is all over the place. It's not noticeable at stock exhaust levels, but it's painfully obvious with louder configurations. I've been out driving a few times since installation and it's been wildly erratic with how wide the valves are open. It's like it's got multiple personality disorder... so weird. Took the valve motor off yesterday and verified it's installed correctly.

Many were asking about the fitment, and overall, I'd say it's pretty good. It clears all components of the vehicle. The resonators seem to have shifted a bit since I installed and are sitting a bit closer than I'd prefer. Nothing is rattling yet, but made need to adjust a bit soon. The rear exit pipes/tips are a work in progress. The driver's side exit is currently sitting a bit further towards outside than the passenger's side. Adjustment up/down and between the two pipes on each side is easy, but this may prove slightly harder to remedy.

These are all just initial impressions and it's a bit of a work in progress. Relatively happy with the fitment, not happy with the sound yet. I've caught a few moments of a very nice, aggressive idle/WOT, which leads me to believe this system can be what I wanted it to be, but the stock valve controller seems to be actively working against me lol

Bit of a pathfinder mission I've embarked on, will continue to update as things progress.
OOHHHH so prettyyyyyy.
Appreciate 1
      02-12-2024, 04:26 PM   #156
TacosRule!
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3M

Quote:
No idea. I'm also wondering if the muffler is just needing a bit of a break-in period. The puttering/ticking noise coming from the exhaust at idle was more quiet this morning.

What wasn't quieter was the driver's side valve that was rattling like some metal bones when I turned it on this morning! Apparently with valves closed at idle at certain angles, the valve is loose enough to cause a bit of a racket. When I pushed on the exterior side of the valve (opposite the motor) it would stop. I rolled it forward and it went away. Pushed on it again and it started rattling. Put it in S+ and it stopped rattling and it had no play when I pushed on it under load. It's looking more and more like this is going to be a valves almost always open for me, which is fine. Only time I'd care is in the early morning.

Now I stink like exhaust and need a shower lol

gotcha, now that you explain it, it makes sense. Hope you figure it out.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2024, 06:39 PM   #157
Must_Go_FASTER
formerly rdougherty85
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X3M Comp MBB

Quote:
Originally Posted by bad430benz View Post
Sounds like you are having the same exit piping issue .
Not as bad as that, though. Although I definitely had an oh shit moment when I accidentally put the outside exit pipes on the wrong sides hahaha

Strangely enough, the pipe that's supposed to be on the driver's side actually fits almost perfectly on the passenger side, but the other is wayyyy off.

Once I have everything squared away, I'll be giving a lot of feedback to CSZ on the fitment. Hopefully they can make some adjustments in the future and bring a more polished product to market.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2024, 07:22 AM   #158
Thtshowiroll47
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X3M Competition

Quote:
Not as bad as that, though. Although I definitely had an oh shit moment when I accidentally put the outside exit pipes on the wrong sides hahaha

Strangely enough, the pipe that's supposed to be on the driver's side actually fits almost perfectly on the passenger side, but the other is wayyyy off.

Once I have everything squared away, I'll be giving a lot of feedback to CSZ on the fitment. Hopefully they can make some adjustments in the future and bring a more polished product to market.
Were you able to find out what the weird sound was coming from the passenger side?
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2024, 02:38 PM   #159
TacosRule!
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thtshowiroll47 View Post
Where you able to find out what the weird sound was coming from the passenger side?

^^^ This, curious to hear.
Appreciate 0