BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

09-24-2022, 08:33 PM   #1
bcwalks2
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i & 2018 X3 M40i

Windshield washer reservoir leaking?

Anyone had a leak from the windshield reservoir leaking? Just noticed a leak when I got home, going to work on it tomorrow. Seems like it is either the pump or maybe the connection from the filler tube to the reservoir. Puddle is under the front passenger tire and a slow drip.

Will report back once I take it apart and see whats up.
2016 M235i Mineral Gray/Coral Red
2018 X3 M40i Alpine White/Black - SOLD
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2022, 09:30 PM   #2
bocabimmer
Found the Search Button
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3 30i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcwalks2 View Post
Anyone had a leak from the windshield reservoir leaking? Just noticed a leak when I got home, going to work on it tomorrow. Seems like it is either the pump or maybe the connection from the filler tube to the reservoir. Puddle is under the front passenger tire and a slow drip.

Will report back once I take it apart and see whats up.
I used to time myself to see how quick I could replace the pumps on my E90s and E70. Wouldn't be surprised if nothing has changed.

Previous BMWs: 2018 330i (F30), 2014 i3 BEV, 2007 328i (E92), 2013 X5 35i (E70), 2014 i3 BEV, 2006 325i (E90)
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2022, 11:32 PM   #3
bcwalks2
Lieutenant
Rep

Sure was the pump. Took everything apart tonight and will replace in the AM. Quite a pain in the ass to get to. Worst part are the rivets on the fender liner.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2022, 02:30 PM   #4
bcwalks2
Lieutenant
Rep

Just finished replacing the pump…. Couple of quick notes, if anyone stumbles upon this and has questions, feel free to PM me.

Overall a pain in the ass to get to as you have to remove the fender liner and there are a couple of rivets. My suggestion, but new rivets and just rip the old ones out, no sense in trying to spare them.

When you put the new pump in, there are two sides to the pump that have hoses attached. There is a smooth hose and ribbed hose. Smooth goes towards the front and ribbed in the back. If you flip/flop them, you’ll scratch your head and get pissed for a few hours trying to get everything back in to place without it leaking. Overall not real fun, but if I had to do it again now knowing how to do it, would probably be an hour or two. I spent a hell of a lot more time than I should have the first time around. Will probably buy another pump to have it on hand for the future.
2016 M235i Mineral Gray/Coral Red
2018 X3 M40i Alpine White/Black - SOLD
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2023, 04:33 PM   #5
gnus82
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW X3 M40

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcwalks2 View Post
Just finished replacing the pump…. Couple of quick notes, if anyone stumbles upon this and has questions, feel free to PM me.

Overall a pain in the ass to get to as you have to remove the fender liner and there are a couple of rivets. My suggestion, but new rivets and just rip the old ones out, no sense in trying to spare them.

When you put the new pump in, there are two sides to the pump that have hoses attached. There is a smooth hose and ribbed hose. Smooth goes towards the front and ribbed in the back. If you flip/flop them, you’ll scratch your head and get pissed for a few hours trying to get everything back in to place without it leaking. Overall not real fun, but if I had to do it again now knowing how to do it, would probably be an hour or two. I spent a hell of a lot more time than I should have the first time around. Will probably buy another pump to have it on hand for the future.
I believe I have the same issue. I refilled the windshield fluid a few weeks ago and just walked into a garage full of fluid on the ground. Fluid color matches what I recently put in the car and the car is telling me the windshield fluid is low. The leak is also coming from just behind the right front wheel well.

I just created my account to try to PM you but apparently I can't do that with a new account.

I saw your other post on another thread and besides taking the wheel off and splash shields, what else do I need to know? What part am I supposed to purchase? Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0