BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

07-28-2020, 12:17 AM   #67
pz619
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F87 M2C 6MT, Tesla 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by r33_RGSport View Post
If I remember correctly, the instruction says to cut at the cutting mark or dimple set by BMW.
I don't think the picture that they used is a go to indication on where to cut. I believe it just used as illustration, not exactly where to cut.
Then why would you (Dinan) even include that picture with a very clear cut line in red? It’s not unreasonable to think a picture in an instruction manual with a red “cut here“ line is where you should actually cut.
Appreciate 1
r33_RGSport12965.00
      07-28-2020, 12:23 AM   #68
floating.spirit
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3M Competition

Garage List
2020 X3MC  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnk210 View Post
Quote:
Your cut is too short.

Did you cut by the dimple cutting mark?

This is a picture from the install that I did on Saturday.
I cut where the pictured instructed us to cut. If the instructions are faulty, that should probably be addressed. If anything, I cut about 1/2" past the marked cutting line that was in the how-to.
If I remember correctly, the instruction says to cut at the cutting mark or dimple set by BMW.
I don't think the picture that they used is a go to indication on where to cut. I believe it just used as illustration, not exactly where to cut.

Edit: just re-read the instruction again. It says as what I mentioned, except it didn't defined where is the factory cutting point. I knew it because I know how BMW marked the cutting point.
BMW marks the cut point to help modders?
Appreciate 1
r33_RGSport12965.00
      07-28-2020, 12:24 AM   #69
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G09 XM, G05 X5 40, 991.2 T

Quote:
Originally Posted by pz619 View Post
Quote:
Then why would you (Dinan) even include that picture with a very clear cut line in red? It's not unreasonable to think a picture in an instruction manual with a red "cut here" line is where you should actually cut.
Haha, then that would be something that Dinan_Engineering have to answer to you.
I just saw the post and letting him know that his cutting point is wrong.
Active Autowerke • KW • H&R • Ohlins • Remus • and more...
Appreciate 1
pz6193278.50
      07-28-2020, 12:27 AM   #70
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by floating.spirit View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Your cut is too short.

Did you cut by the dimple cutting mark?

This is a picture from the install that I did on Saturday.
I cut where the pictured instructed us to cut. If the instructions are faulty, that should probably be addressed. If anything, I cut about 1/2" past the marked cutting line that was in the how-to.

Edit: just re-read the instruction again. It says as what I mentioned, except it didn't defined where is the factory cutting point. I knew it because I know how BMW marked the cutting point.
BMW marks the cut point to help modders?
Nope.
BMW have marked cutting point for repair purposes.
So instead of replacing a full cat-back when you get rear ended, you can just replace the axle back.

But, many many aftermarket exhaust manufacturers using the same cutting point to make it easier for you to revert back to stock by using BMW original method.
Appreciate 1
      07-28-2020, 12:28 AM   #71
pz619
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F87 M2C 6MT, Tesla 3

Quote:
Haha, then that would be something that Dinan_Engineering have to answer to you.
I just saw your post and letting you know that your cutting point is wrong.
Not my car for the record, think you might have me confused with the OP

But based on the supplied instructions; I would have made a similar cut. Also the pictures in the instructions appear to be two different cars, or at least two different exhaust systems. One of the pictures show an x-pipe where the cut point for that appears to be further downstream.
Appreciate 1
r33_RGSport12965.00
      07-28-2020, 12:31 AM   #72
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I just saw your post and letting you know that your cutting point is wrong.
Not my car for the record, think you might have me confused with the OP

But based on the supplied instructions; I would have made a similar cut. Also the pictures in the instructions appear to be two different cars, or at least two different exhaust systems. One of the pictures show an x-pipe where the cut point for that appears to be further downstream.
My bad.
On mobile,

Yea, Dinan uses 2 different pictures.
One with X pipe.
Appreciate 1
pz6193278.50
      07-28-2020, 12:36 AM   #73
tnk210
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3M

RG - thanks. Instructions state "Cut at factory cut points". There is indeed a dimple I see now two inches above where I cut off the factory exhaust, so that would confirm my fears. While I'm not new to installing exhausts or modifying cars, I think the instructions are leaving quite a loose interpretation, especially considering they provide a diagram that doesn't match even close the cut point. I'll get on the horn with Dinan tomorrow to see what the options are. Hopefully everyone can learn going forward/the instructions can be a little more specific.
Appreciate 3
pz6193278.50
r33_RGSport12965.00
Max Well4733.00
      07-28-2020, 12:40 AM   #74
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
RG - thanks. Instructions state "Cut at factory cut points". There is indeed a dimple I see now two inches above where I cut off the factory exhaust, so that would confirm my fears. While I'm not new to installing exhausts or modifying cars, I think the instructions are leaving quite a loose interpretation, especially considering they provide a diagram that doesn't match even close the cut point. I'll get on the horn with Dinan tomorrow to see what the options are. Hopefully everyone can learn going forward/the instructions can be a little more specific.
Well, good thing, it is 2" away. So you can get it re-welded without interrupting the clamp.

Best way would be taking down the whole mid-pipe and TIG weld it.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2020, 12:59 AM   #75
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep

Btw this is the video from Saturday install.
Enjoy.

Appreciate 4
Max Well4733.00
19___M2124.50
Lenny_RDM405.00
LimiX4m40152.50
      07-28-2020, 08:21 AM   #76
Dinan_Engineering
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Any BMW

Quote:
Then why would you (Dinan) even include that picture with a very clear cut line in red? It’s not unreasonable to think a picture in an instruction manual with a red “cut here“ line is where you should actually cut.
Guessing at the thought process of the manual maker but it appears to be just a reference picture. Unable to deliniate the dimple in the photo so a rough guesstimation for illustration was used along with the verbiage to cut at the factory cut point. Probably best to expand on that and say "at the dimples" or provide a note to the side of that picture that notes its just for illustration purposes and not the actual cut point but thats hindsight. I have passed along the thread to the hardware team so they can make whatever edits they deem necessary to clear up future confusion.

Quote:
Same car. Just some of the initial pictures in the manual have a prototype resonator delete/X in the photo as well. For the purposes of the step they are illustrating (location of bolts on the undertray, V-brace bolts) the presence of the X bears no difference.

Quote:
I'll see if I can get the team a heads up to expect the call but you may want to send in a quick support ticket request as well just so its logged and all the info is on hand in one fell swoop -- can do that at https://www.dinancars.com/submit-ticket/.
Appreciate 2
r33_RGSport12965.00
pz6193278.50
      07-28-2020, 09:39 AM   #77
tnk210
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinan_Engineering View Post
Guessing at the thought process of the manual maker but it appears to be just a reference picture. Unable to deliniate the dimple in the photo so a rough guesstimation for illustration was used along with the verbiage to cut at the factory cut point. Probably best to expand on that and say "at the dimples" or provide a note to the side of that picture that notes its just for illustration purposes and not the actual cut point but thats hindsight. I have passed along the thread to the hardware team so they can make whatever edits they deem necessary to clear up future confusion.

Same car. Just some of the initial pictures in the manual have a prototype resonator delete/X in the photo as well. For the purposes of the step they are illustrating (location of bolts on the undertray, V-brace bolts) the presence of the X bears no difference.

I'll see if I can get the team a heads up to expect the call but you may want to send in a quick support ticket request as well just so its logged and all the info is on hand in one fell swoop -- can do that at https://www.dinancars.com/submit-ticket/.
Andrew responded this morning from support, ticket 137064. I'll keep this thread clean from the back and forth while we work thru this!
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2020, 10:54 AM   #78
j080808
USA
Rep
Drives: X5 M50i, 440i

The Akrapovic installation instructions mention the dimple on the OEM tubes as the cut point, clarified it as opposed to eyeballing the "factory cut points" dotted lines. Their instructions are very detailed, something to learn from.

The pictures of two different systems in the Dinan instructions confused me as well.

Now, if Dinan could make this all one piece instead of the additional clamps, I would gladly pay the additional shipping.
Appreciate 1
r33_RGSport12965.00
      07-28-2020, 05:40 PM   #79
jmh
Internet Crash Test Dummy
United_States
Rep
Drives: F97 X3MC / F80 M3 / F90 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by robopp View Post
Does anyone in MA have this exhaust? Or any aftermarket exhaust? I'd love to hear it
robopp I have the Dinah exhaust installed, you’re welcome to listen if you want
15 F10 M5 Individual / Brilliant White / Extended/Full Cohiba Brown (Exec/Driver/B&O/20") / A few Euro add-ons / Stealth K40 / Upgraded B&O / ///M Performance Carbon Interior Trim / IND / Akrapovic Evolution Exhaust / HRE S107
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2020, 08:14 PM   #80
deluX3_M40i
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 M40i

Quote:
They are. Waiting on load testing before we can officially offer the wheels for the platform though. As they were originally tested for a load rating that was slightly below the X3M/X4M. =/
So excited to see a 20" x 10.0" et26 on it, I have been going back and forth on ordering that exact spec for a square setup but didn't want to be SOL if they didn't fit and were custom.

Plenty of clearance between the strut in the front?
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2020, 07:26 AM   #81
Dinan_Engineering
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by deluX3_M40i View Post
So excited to see a 20" x 10.0" et26 on it, I have been going back and forth on ordering that exact spec for a square setup but didn't want to be SOL if they didn't fit and were custom.

Plenty of clearance between the strut in the front?
Its been stomped on for over 2 months in that configuration with no issues. Finally test fitting revised springs on it this next week but we don't foresee any issues as a result of the drop either.
Appreciate 1
      07-30-2020, 08:29 PM   #82
j080808
USA
Rep
Drives: X5 M50i, 440i

Quote:
Originally Posted by j080808 View Post
So I was just looking underneath my car, looking for the cut points before I order. The "V" bracing is...not there, non-existent. There is no drop bracket behind the diff, no supporting arms, no nothing. There are bolts run up into the body where the drop bracket would attach.

I have a mid-December build. Anyone else installed a system and not had these parts? Dinan_Engineering care to share the build date of your vehicle?

Edit: so looking at realoem, it would appear only those with pano sunroof get this extra bracing...very interesting.
As a quick follow-up, a part search that night yielded me a complete brace system off ebay from a Nebraska junk yard with a totaled M40i. I figure the extra bracing cant hurt my lap times.

Dinan, can you do the system as one piece? I ask, because I had a bad experience with an exhaust maker on my Panamera a few years back.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2020, 07:54 AM   #83
Dinan_Engineering
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by j080808 View Post
As a quick follow-up, a part search that night yielded me a complete brace system off ebay from a Nebraska junk yard with a totaled M40i. I figure the extra bracing cant hurt my lap times.

Dinan, can you do the system as one piece? I ask, because I had a bad experience with an exhaust maker on my Panamera a few years back.
The exhaust system will not be done as one piece. The main reason is avoiding oversized shipping fees/packaging concerns but such a change would also require an entirely new weld/build jig to be produced as well as a bunch of backend system changes that aren't exactly quick, nor easy to accomplish. Part of the joys of being part of a greater entity!
Appreciate 4
AlexFL7836.00
r33_RGSport12965.00
j080808129.00
RoWoX3M401.00
      08-28-2020, 07:26 PM   #84
EVLX3MC
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3MC AW/Tartufo

Quote:
Correct. Axle back so cutting will be required. A full complete cat-back would be the only way to avoid that reality. We will also be releasing a resonator delete/x-pipe to accompany the system for those that want a bit more volume as well — it got delayed a bit unfortunately but it's coming.
Bumping this thread, any updates for us regarding the x-pipe?? Thanks!
Appreciate 2
RoWoX3M401.00
FrankieNuo1219.00
      08-31-2020, 07:59 AM   #85
Dinan_Engineering
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVLX3MC View Post
Bumping this thread, any updates for us regarding the x-pipe?? Thanks!
Waiting on piping yet. =/

My gut tells me that even if we did get the couple raw materials we needed in soon we would still be a month+ out anyway given the current exhaust backlog that takes precedence.
Appreciate 1
RoWoX3M401.00
      09-02-2020, 01:28 PM   #86
EVLX3MC
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3MC AW/Tartufo

Quote:
Waiting on piping yet. =/

My gut tells me that even if we did get the couple raw materials we needed in soon we would still be a month+ out anyway given the current exhaust backlog that takes precedence.
Makes sense... will definitely keep an eye out for your updates on them as they come!!
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2020, 11:21 AM   #87
LUISX3M
Rep
Drives: BMW X3M

Any reviews on this? How much louder is it from a comp exhaust?
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2020, 10:15 PM   #88
AlonBabaev
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 bmw f10 535xi

Quote:
Can be stand alone.
When will the midpipe be released?
Appreciate 0