BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

04-17-2020, 02:21 PM   #1
BMthusiast
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BSM F80 M-DCT

My day with the F97

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
From February 26, 2020 at BMW Welt, Munich.

I had 6 hours with the F97 and I took it around the Bavarian mountains. Very fun experience!

Initial feeling:

- Absolute control in terms of traction. There were rough spots weather-wise at times and its supreme traction never skipped a beat. I felt perfectly safe in precarious weather situations.
- Suspension felt comfortable though not as sporty as I was hoping.
- Power delivery was pretty good for stock. It has some nice kick although nothing too dramatic out of the box.
- That S58 sound is amazing!
- Allen Iverson would be proud of the way this car handles.

Lasting impression:

- It's a vehicle that pulls the wild driver out of you. It carves corners like a coupe. I got lost in the way that the F97 dominates corners. I kept pushing the limits and never felt in danger. It eats rough terrain situations for breakfast. The S58 engine is primed to become a BMW great. Its potential is exciting!
- BMW really put together an all out bang-for-your-buck mobile with the F97. You get to have your cake and eat it too with this car. It's already handling with near perfection and the suspension will improve over time. The X3 M is here to stay!
Attached Images

cfm56d7b5849.00
      04-17-2020, 02:45 PM   #2
Transfer
Major General
Rep
Drives: Bronco Wildtrak, Tesla MYP

Nice! Planning to get one?

Winter tires surely decreased the sporty aspect of the handling for your test drive. You will be hard pressed to find anyone that needs the suspension to be more firm or sporty when on summer rubber and in sport+. Comp model also has the larger sway bars but I don't think we know how significant that is.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2020, 02:50 PM   #3
AlexFL
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Nice car and love your name! One of my all time favorite movies.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2020, 06:12 AM   #4
Max Well
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '22 BG X3MC, '20 BSM X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuato2084 View Post
From February 26, 2020 at BMW Welt, Munich. I had 6 hours with the F97 and I took it around the Bavarian mountains. Very fun experience!...

Lasting impression:

- It's a vehicle that pulls the wild driver out of you. It carves corners like a coupe. I got lost in the way that the F97 dominates corners. I kept pushing the limits and never felt in danger. It eats rough terrain situations for breakfast. The S58 engine is primed to become a BMW great. Its potential is exciting!
- BMW really put together an all out bang-for-your-buck mobile with the F97. You get to have your cake and eat it too with this car. It's already handling with near perfection and the suspension will improve over time. The X3 M is here to stay!
Couldn't agree more - thanks for sharing your experience.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2020, 02:46 PM   #5
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

Thanks for sharing. "It carves corners like a coupe". That's why X4MC is on my shopping list.
Appreciate 1
      04-19-2020, 10:16 AM   #6
BMthusiast
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BSM F80 M-DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transfer View Post

Winter tires surely decreased the sporty aspect of the handling for your test drive. You will be hard pressed to find anyone that needs the suspension to be more firm or sporty when on summer rubber and in sport+. Comp model also has the larger sway bars but I don't think we know how significant that is.
Definitely, I was extremely impressed how agile it behaved on winter tires! And yeah I'm strongly considering getting one. Especially now that tuners are starting to get big numbers safely out of the S58!
      04-19-2020, 02:21 PM   #7
MrItaly
Major
Rep
Drives: X5M Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transfer View Post

Yeah unfortunately, they only get the comp model over there.... It's difficult to compare. I've never driven a non-comp myself for that matter...

Last edited by MrItaly; 04-19-2020 at 03:04 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2020, 07:48 PM   #8
MrItaly
Major
Rep
Drives: X5M Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuato2084 View Post
Definitely, I was extremely impressed how agile it behaved on winter tires! And yeah I'm strongly considering getting one. Especially now that tuners are starting to get big numbers safely out of the S58!
I took delivery of mine with the PS4s swapped out for Pirelli Winter Scorpions in Italy. That's all I've known until a week ago. Those winters certainly hold up well with this vehicle (with proper (over) inflation at very high speed). Here in the States, I can't drive near that fast, but now that the PS4s have lost their protective coating, I can definitely attest that they are superior. I'm still getting used to seeing pebbles stuck to my tires when parked. They are sticky! May the summer season be long! Who am I kidding? I'm in Maryland........
Appreciate 1
FrankieNuo1210.00