BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

03-06-2019, 07:40 AM   #1
supersebbo
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: iX3 Premier Pro (Dec 21)

Display Key Exchange

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
My X3 was supplied with one normal key and one display key.

I hate the display key. It's too bulky and has to be kept charged all the time.

Has anyone approached BMW about exchanging your display key for a standard key? Will they do it F.O.C?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2019, 07:42 AM   #2
ktmsmr12
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by supersebbo View Post

Has anyone approached BMW about exchanging your display key for a standard key? Will they do it F.O.C?

Thanks!
I'm assuming you are outside the US. We don't get the fancy key. We get a phone app though. Not sure if one does more or less than the other.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2019, 07:47 AM   #3
supersebbo
First Lieutenant
Rep

AFAIK getting the display key is dependent on a weird mix of factory options - I think you have to have a combination of the top level connected drive services, plus comfort access plus wireless charging. It might also be market specific.

Sadly there is no option to NOT get the display key if you have all the above options!

The display key is a nice idea but it's one of those things that will be obsolete before they perfect it. Just let me unlock my car using NFC from my phone!
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2019, 07:47 AM   #4
spangle1980
Deadly
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d BG LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmsmr12 View Post
I'm assuming you are outside the US. We don't get the fancy key. We get a phone app though. Not sure if one does more or less than the other.
We got the app too. Personally I too would prefer a normal key so let me know if you have any luck :-)

Display key is great for maybe the 5 where you can reverse in/out by key (wish I had that) but aside from that it's a "monstrous carbuncle" in my pocket :-)
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2019, 07:53 AM   #5
ktmsmr12
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i

Garage List
Quote:
AFAIK getting the display key is dependent on a weird mix of factory options - I think you have to have a combination of the top level connected drive services, plus comfort access plus wireless charging. It might also be market specific.

Sadly there is no option to NOT get the display key if you have all the above options!

The display key is a nice idea but it's one of those things that will be obsolete before they perfect it. Just let me unlock my car using NFC from my phone!
Reminds me of my Apple Watch. Lol. It's a watch, yet it needs to be charged every day to work and tell time.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2019, 08:05 AM   #6
eurobear
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 430d MSport Xdrive

Quote:

Thanks!
I was told that I could have a 2nd normal key, but it would cost to get it and it wouldn't be a swap for the display key.

My DK will be going in a draw once I get it and I'll be using the normal key and app.

I don't know if you know, but you can charge it on the wireless pad while you drive
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2019, 08:09 AM   #7
supersebbo
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by eurobear View Post
I was told that I could have a 2nd normal key, but it would cost to get it and it wouldn't be a swap for the display key.

My DK will be going in a draw once I get it and I'll be using the normal key and app.

I don't know if you know, but you can charge it on the wireless pad while you drive
Yeah I figured there would always be the option to buy another key.

I know it charges on the pad, but here's the rub. I don't like the display key because it won't go on my key-ring and wont fit in my pocket, so it ends up being our spare key that the wife uses. So the display key spends most of it's time on the hook in the house. The display key loses charge even when it's not being used. End result - the spare key is always flat when we need it and has to be charged before the car can be driven.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2019, 08:21 AM   #8
tonyb15re
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: i4 M50

Its using charge because its communicating with the car to get updates much like the app. I got one of these in Black for my key.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Couldnt find a decent screen protector to prevent key damage to the screen though so made a small pouch for the keys themselves to be hidden in..

Theres no real advantage to this key over and above a normal key with the app, we get no extra functionality over here as you say.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2019, 08:25 AM   #9
eurobear
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 430d MSport Xdrive

Quote:
Yeah I figured there would always be the option to buy another key.

I know it charges on the pad, but here's the rub. I don't like the display key because it won't go on my key-ring and wont fit in my pocket, so it ends up being our spare key that the wife uses. So the display key spends most of it's time on the hook in the house. The display key loses charge even when it's not being used. End result - the spare key is always flat when we need it and has to be charged before the car can be driven.
What about a wireless charging pad for home? They cost about £10 in Ikea (maybe less on Amazon) and that way the key stays charged for when your wife uses it.

Must admit I really didn't want my DK. I don't see the point in them, but it was part of the package
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2019, 08:30 AM   #10
tonyb15re
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by eurobear View Post
What about a wireless charging pad for home? They cost about £10 in Ikea (maybe less on Amazon) and that way the key stays charged for when your wife uses it.

Must admit I really didn't want my DK. I don't see the point in them, but it was part of the package
Or even easier just plug it into a USB Charger once a week
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2019, 08:32 AM   #11
MechX3M40i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i Blue/Cognac

I am wondering if it's possible that we set up an exchange here in the forum, since US owners don't have the option to get this but some might be interested. I would imagine though, we will have to take the key fob back to BMW for reprogramming (if that's possible) and pay for the service. :
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2019, 08:35 AM   #12
BMWZ4
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X1/'23 Allroad Progressiv

Mine holds the charge for ~3 weeks before I have to plug it in overnight, assuming i don't place it in the pad in the car
'11 Z4 30i (retired);'11 X3 28i (retired); '15 M235i Stage 1 Dinan (recalled & crushed); '16 M235i Stage 3 Dinan (retired); '15 X3 28i (retired); '14 328i (retired), 2019 X3M40i (retired); Loaded '18 X1 (retired); Loaded '20 X3MC DG, Black/Tan Merino (retired); Loaded '23 X1 Cape York green and Red/Black interior; '23 Audi A4 Allroad Progressiv
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2019, 08:35 AM   #13
MattXYZ
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 (G01) M40i, X5 (F15) 40d

I’ve mentioned this before on another thread.

In UK, all the functions that have been enabled on the DK are available on the app. My understanding was that remote parking was supposed to be enabled as well (like 5 and 7 series) but for some reason it’s not available.

Mine has been fully charged and switched off and left in its original little pink transparent plastic bag since day 1!! I will need to test whether the battery is still drained even though I’ve switched it off.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2019, 09:04 AM   #14
supersebbo
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattXYZ View Post
I’ve mentioned this before on another thread.

In UK, all the functions that have been enabled on the DK are available on the app. My understanding was that remote parking was supposed to be enabled as well (like 5 and 7 series) but for some reason it’s not available.

Mine has been fully charged and switched off and left in its original little pink transparent plastic bag since day 1!! I will need to test whether the battery is still drained even though I’ve switched it off.
I don't see how remote parking could be enabled without remote engine start/stop. Which is also not on the X3.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2019, 09:13 AM   #15
MattXYZ
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
I don't see how remote parking could be enabled without remote engine start/stop. Which is also not on the X3.
I agree. Remote start would be great - especially for winter months for de-icing and warm up. I’d take remote start over remote parking any day!

However, I did read something about UK law against cars being left to idle being enforced - perhaps that’s why remote start has not been made available in UK.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2019, 09:37 AM   #16
tonyb15re
Second Lieutenant
Rep

This Retrofit looks promising

Not sure about the proximity open though, thats how most top end cars are getting nicked lately, a relay between the house front and the car to allow the thief to open and start it.

Im happy not having comfort entry on mine because of this.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2019, 09:44 AM   #17
MarkyM
Major
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyb15re View Post
This Retrofit looks promising

Not sure about the proximity open though, thats how most top end cars are getting nicked lately, a relay between the house front and the car to allow the thief to open and start it.

Im happy not having comfort entry on mine because of this.
The keys on the X3 with comfort access since late March '18 turn off after 5 minutes of inactivity so this sort of relay theft isn't possible in theory

Even without comfort access they still have keyless start which is prone to this sort of relay attack, not sure if the keys turn off in the same way?
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2019, 09:46 AM   #18
tonyb15re
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkyM View Post
The keys on the X3 with comfort access since late March '18 turn off after 5 minutes of inactivity so this sort of relay theft isn't possible in theory

Even without comfort access they still have keyless start which is prone to this sort of relay attack, not sure if the keys turn off in the same way?
That's good to know, I wont need to buy a big safe with a Faraday cage in it now.. Is this stated anywhere by BMW?
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2019, 09:49 AM   #19
MechX3M40i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i Blue/Cognac

Quote:
Quote:

That's good to know, I wont need to buy a big safe with a Faraday cage in it now.. Is this stated anywhere by BMW?
No, they did this quietly to avoid bad publicity on early key fobs that are still out there...
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2019, 09:50 AM   #20
MattXYZ
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

I bought a couple of faraday pouches on amazon. They work well. It would be great to have a custom fitted case so that it can easily fit in my pocket. When I’m parked outside a restaurant or shop, my key is exposed to risk of relay theft.

I would have preferred to not have comfort access but my car was from stock.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2019, 10:00 AM   #21
MarkyM
Major
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

They announced it in press release for G20 late last year but they did the change beforehand on existing models without saying anything

Whether coincidence or not it was the same time as they moved the badges to lower position

If you have comfort access you can test by resting key on a door handle and leaving for 5 minutes, after that you shouldn't be able to unlock car without first moving key to wake it up

As I said I am not sure that cars without comfort access have keys that work the same way but would be difficult to test I would think?
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2019, 02:31 PM   #22
Gary pa28
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattXYZ View Post
I agree. Remote start would be great - especially for winter months for de-icing and warm up. I’d take remote start over remote parking any day!

However, I did read something about UK law against cars being left to idle being enforced - perhaps that’s why remote start has not been made available in UK.
Correct ,but my Range Rover had it and was great for defrosting,doors stayed locked ,but you can only use it on private land IE driveway

Missing that function already