BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

03-08-2011, 04:27 PM   #45
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

Only one auto mode or tiptronic semi auto where you change with the shift lever. This would be your only option other than getting VDC and driving in Sport mode. Didn't get it to kick down to 1st.

I do understand your concern but I've not yet been a sitting duck on a roundabout. More sitting truck! - just kidding I think it's just something you get used to and learn the car's capabilities.

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2011, 04:50 PM   #46
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant Man View Post
I have read two reviews of VSS in UK mags and neither reviewer liked it. Both nearly had the car off the road due to the car steering more than they anticpated, i.e. variable. One might though get used to it.
Perhaps they just forgot what mode it was in?!

Ultimately, you should PM rd450 about VSS. He has it and I think he uses Sport mode all the time and likes it. He's a much more valuable resource than some reviewer that has the car for the day or less and has to report on everything in a relatively short time.

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2011, 05:33 PM   #47
Kalopop
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: x3

sfax what interior/exterior colors and trim did u get? post some pics haha
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2011, 01:29 AM   #48
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalopop View Post
sfax what interior/exterior colors and trim did u get? post some pics haha
The spec is all in my signature and there are some pics here. No new ones yet!

http://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=493394

Appreciate 0
      03-09-2011, 10:22 AM   #49
Ant Man
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 Individual Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfax View Post
Perhaps they just forgot what mode it was in?!

Ultimately, you should PM rd450 about VSS. He has it and I think he uses Sport mode all the time and likes it. He's a much more valuable resource than some reviewer that has the car for the day or less and has to report on everything in a relatively short time.
Yes, you are possibly right. Sometimes though people post that something is good just because they bought it and don't want to admit they made a mistake. Journos on the other hand do not have this worry and as they drive many cars are able to make a judgement on what works and what doesn't. Apart from J. Clarkson who is pig-ignorant and clueless.

I will PM rd450 though
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2011, 10:40 AM   #50
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Sometimes though people post that something is good just because they bought it and don't want to admit they made a mistake
That is true, like trying to convince themselves they made the right decision! Rest assured in my case, I love a good whinge, so when things go wrong, you'll hear about them! So far it's just that stupid Music Collection function which plays the songs on an album in alphabetical song title order but I'll find more

Oh, and the mpg being a bit below expectations.

Overall though, plenty more good than bad and let's hope it stays that way

Appreciate 0
      03-10-2011, 05:23 PM   #51
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Only one auto mode or tiptronic semi auto where you change with the shift lever.
This is wrong, sorry. Had a drive tonight and the first nudge to the left puts you in Sport mode (i assume thats what the S means) which is still full automatic but waits longer before changing up, generally higher revs. This will make a big difference if you're concerned about turbo lag, but at the expense of fuel economy. If you nudge up or down when in Sport, you switch to tiptronic semi automatic.

I had a potential sitting duck moment when I didn't see a car behind a lorry on a roundabout. Floored it in normal mode after a gradual slow down and it picked up very quickly, no worries, car still intact

Appreciate 0
      03-10-2011, 05:29 PM   #52
MA78
TK-421
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 35i

Quote:
Yes, you are possibly right. Sometimes though people post that something is good just because they bought it and don't want to admit they made a mistake. Journos on the other hand do not have this worry and as they drive many cars are able to make a judgement on what works and what doesn't. Apart from J. Clarkson who is pig-ignorant and clueless.

I will PM rd450 though
I'll chime in here. As a freelance journalist, I can promise you that we are ALL pig-ignorant and clueless. Doubly so for reviewers. We all know that negative reviews are more fun to read. They're also more fun to write.

For what it's worth, I have DHP and like it quite a lot. But I don't just like it because I have it. I have it because I like it.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2011, 02:03 PM   #53
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

In answer to some questions:

You can't fold the electric mirrors when the vehicle is in motion

The sunroof doesn't open fully. One half remains static. The other half opens fully or tilts. There is a wind deflector that opens automatically when you open the front half fully.

The car easily manages 6' 6" width restrictions, e.g motorway contraflow

If you lock the car with someone inside, the motion sensors set off an alarm but not the full alarm. It beeps and the red light on the rear view mirror flashes, as do the hazards. Can't see how to lock without alarming unless you lock the doors from the inside.

Appreciate 0
      03-12-2011, 02:16 PM   #54
AJWilson
First Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2.0D SE

Do the mirrors unfold when you reach 30 mph?

Try locking the car and then press lock button again, this should deactivate the interior sensors and keep it locked.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2011, 02:16 PM   #55
VikingOne
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW G30 530e 2018

Quote:
If you lock the car with someone inside, the motion sensors set off an alarm but not the full alarm. It beeps and the red light on the rear view mirror flashes, as do the hazards. Can't see how to lock without alarming unless you lock the doors from the inside.
On my current car, I can lock and alarm the car, and if I press lock again the internal alarm sensor is disabled and only the doors remain alarmed. Or there is a button by the drivers seat I can press before leaving the car, then when I lock the doors, the internal sensors are off, and once again doors only alarmed. Comes in handy when leaving kids/pets in the car for very short periods.
Just wondered if this sort of option available on the X3?

Previous: 2011 X3 2.0d xLine
Previous: 2015 X3 LCI 3.0d xLine
Current: 2018 530e 2L M-Sport I-Performance

Last edited by VikingOne; 03-12-2011 at 02:28 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2011, 02:33 PM   #56
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Will try both the mirrors starting from folded and the double lock and let you know

Appreciate 0
      03-12-2011, 02:36 PM   #57
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VikingOne View Post
Comes in handy when leaving kids/pets in the car for very short periods.
Important qualification in case RSPCC or RSPCA are reading

Appreciate 0
      03-12-2011, 02:39 PM   #58
Ant Man
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 Individual Edition

Quote:
Will try both the mirrors starting from folded and the double lock and let you know
Could you also take some pics of the pedals pls to view if they are offset or not?
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2011, 09:59 PM   #59
kozzi
Pygocentrus Piraya
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X3MC

Garage List
2021 BMW X3MC  [10.00]
Are the 8-speed transmissions the same when comparing the US versions to others? When i put my 35i in drive and slide the shifter over to the left...it is still in normal mode (not sport mode). When i depress the "up" arrow button once it goes into sport mode...press "up" arrow again then it is in sport+ mode.

I can change to Sport and Sport+ without pushing shifter left but can obviously only use paddles to change gears.

With the shifter to the left and in normal mode...I can use the paddles or the shifter to change gears without the transmission taking over and changing gears on me when the revs get to high in normal mode. I am asking because I see some of you get instant sport mode with the shifter to the left.

So basically in the US versions:

Normal Mode: In drive, can't use shifter to change gears, can use paddles but tranny takes over if revs get to high.

Normal Mode: In drive and shifter pushed left, can use both paddles and shifter for gear change, tranny doesn't take over when you push the revs high.

Sport and Sport+ Modes work the same way with the exception the tranny doesn't take over when you push the revs high.

BTW...if the shifter is slipped to the left and you push the P for park...it moves the shifter back to the right automatically and puts the truck in park... cool.

Curious as to how some of your 35is work.

kozzi

2021 BMW X3MC
Donington Grey Metallic / Sakhir Orange & Black Extended Merino Leather / Aluminum Carbon Structure
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2011, 10:22 PM   #60
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F25 35i Mineral Silver/Black

Was just playing with this today. When I push the shifter left it immediately changes the transmission to Sport mode -- an S appears within the "gear" box and the RPM's jump up a bit. This is a transmission only change vice the chassis and transmission changes that can (depending on settings) take place by using the DHP buttons. Is this the same as you were saying above?
      03-12-2011, 10:50 PM   #61
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F25 35i Mineral Silver/Black

Can also use shifters in Normal mode (DHP and shifter). It shifts gear at a "normal" rev range. Adds an M within the gear display.
      03-12-2011, 11:28 PM   #62
Beyu
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by kozzi View Post
Are the 8-speed transmissions the same when comparing the US versions to others? When i put my 35i in drive and slide the shifter over to the left...it is still in normal mode (not sport mode). When i depress the "up" arrow button once it goes into sport mode...press "up" arrow again then it is in sport+ mode.

I can change to Sport and Sport+ without pushing shifter left but can obviously only use paddles to change gears.

With the shifter to the left and in normal mode...I can use the paddles or the shifter to change gears without the transmission taking over and changing gears on me when the revs get to high in normal mode. I am asking because I see some of you get instant sport mode with the shifter to the left.

So basically in the US versions:

Normal Mode: In drive, can't use shifter to change gears, can use paddles but tranny takes over if revs get to high.

Normal Mode: In drive and shifter pushed left, can use both paddles and shifter for gear change, tranny doesn't take over when you push the revs high.

Sport and Sport+ Modes work the same way with the exception the tranny doesn't take over when you push the revs high.

BTW...if the shifter is slipped to the left and you push the P for park...it moves the shifter back to the right automatically and puts the truck in park... cool.

Curious as to how some of your 35is work.

kozzi
Are these modes only with the dynamic handling package? I ordered paddle shifters with my 35i and more often than not will be driving with them.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2011, 11:32 PM   #63
kozzi
Pygocentrus Piraya
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2021 BMW X3MC  [10.00]
Please forgive my ignorance to the proper terms...im coming from an '86 CJ-7 and a '95 Defender 90...both were manual

You have to move the shifter to the left to use it (shifter) to change gears...otherwise it goes into neutral.

Try this... put truck in drive...move shifter left...then press the up arrow once. You will see it change from normal mode to sport mode in the dash between the gauges. I still trying to understand the "S" that shows up when the shifter is moved left. If the truck goes into sport mode automatically when the shifter is moved to the left, then why does it show a shift from normal mode to sport when you press the up aorrow button once? Remember that when you press the up arrow once...you already have the shifter left and it is clearly in normal mode.

kozzi

2021 BMW X3MC
Donington Grey Metallic / Sakhir Orange & Black Extended Merino Leather / Aluminum Carbon Structure
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2011, 03:17 AM   #64
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

The transmission described above is for an xDrive20d, no DHP (similar to VDC in UK) so no Normal/Sport/Sport setting affecting ratios and steering

8 speed auto
Flick to left
DS mode, still auto but ratios change, higher revs (sport)
Flick up or down
Now Semi auto, shift down/up, dash shows D4, D5 etc
Can only change on main shifter, no paddle shifters

Appreciate 0
      03-13-2011, 02:16 PM   #65
kozzi
Pygocentrus Piraya
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2021 BMW X3MC  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nahoa View Post
Was just playing with this today. When I push the shifter left it immediately changes the transmission to Sport mode -- an S appears within the "gear" box and the RPM's jump up a bit. This is a transmission only change vice the chassis and transmission changes that can (depending on settings) take place by using the DHP buttons. Is this the same as you were saying above?
Except that when I push the shifter to the left...I am still in normal mode or so says the iDrive settings. I need to push the DHP button up once to go into sport mode. I guess what I'd like to know is if this is the same for others. Why is it when I push my shifter left does the iDrive say I am in normal mode? What mode does your iDrive say you are in? If you could check that and let me know I would appreciate it.

kozzi

2021 BMW X3MC
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2011, 03:43 PM   #66
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJWilson View Post
Do the mirrors unfold when you reach 30 mph?
Yes, tried this earlier. You can pull away with them folded and they stay folded up until about 30

Appreciate 0