BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

05-11-2020, 08:45 PM   #1
Narcissus35i
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 35i

Question Unlocking from outside

Hey everyone, looking to see if anyone knows how I can fix a problem I'm having with my 2012 X3. I've searched around and I only seem to find questions regarding the double pull to unlock the door from the inside. I saw where you can enable and disable this, but I don't think there was a way to check or uncheck what I'm looking for. I was always able to do a double pull on the handle to unlock the door from the outside if I had my key fob with me, but that stopped working recently and I have to do it with the button. I guess that's not terrible since it still unlocks, but I've gotten used to just pulling twice. The key fob is obviously working if I can unlock with the button and start the car, but the feature of pulling twice from outside the driver's side door no longer works. I'm pretty sure I was still able to do it on the passenger side the other day though. Anyone know how I can make this possible again? Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2020, 12:19 AM   #2
pungo
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4MC-X3-35i-525i, Corrado G60

Garage List
Welcome to the forum...

Never heard of double pull from the outside to open the door. I assume you have comfort access. For mine, I touch the outside door handle, which unlocks it, then I pull the handle once to open the door.

Have you read the owners manual for the proper operation of the comfort access feature to unlock and open the door? If you're following the instructions and it's still not working, there's probably a faulty component. Have you tried your other key?
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2020, 07:34 AM   #3
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 40i, 18 GTi, Snowblower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narcissus35i View Post
Hey everyone, looking to see if anyone knows how I can fix a problem I'm having with my 2012 X3. I've searched around and I only seem to find questions regarding the double pull to unlock the door from the inside. I saw where you can enable and disable this, but I don't think there was a way to check or uncheck what I'm looking for. I was always able to do a double pull on the handle to unlock the door from the outside if I had my key fob with me, but that stopped working recently and I have to do it with the button. I guess that's not terrible since it still unlocks, but I've gotten used to just pulling twice. The key fob is obviously working if I can unlock with the button and start the car, but the feature of pulling twice from outside the driver's side door no longer works. I'm pretty sure I was still able to do it on the passenger side the other day though. Anyone know how I can make this possible again? Thanks!
Hmmm, I have to agree with pungo , I have never owned a BMW where the exterior door handle had the double pull function to unlock it. However, this was always the case with the interior door handle when the car was locked.

My 2011 X3 works like this.. .. with comfort access
- Car locked: From the inside of the car, either double pull the interior door handle or push the lock/unlock button on the dash first and then single pull the interior door handle to open the door. This is the same for all four doors. Note: if you push the lock/unlock button, then the car follows the rules you set up in the locking feature in iDrive. If you double pull on the interior door handle, then only that door will unlock.

- Car locked: From outside the car, either use the key fob to unlock and then grab and pull the handle or with your key fob in your pocket lightly touch the inside of the exterior door handle, wait for the unlock click and then simply pull once to open the door. Going this route, as soon as I touch the inside of the exterior door handle and before I would normally even begin to pull on it, its already unlocked so it just seems like one normal motion to touch and pull once

- Car unlocked: From the inside of the car, just pull the door handle once to open the door

- Car unlocked: From the outside, just grab and door handle and pull once to open the door
Appreciate 0