BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

03-14-2019, 06:39 PM   #67
BMWZ4
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X1/'23 Allroad Progressiv

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWZ4 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobsM3Coupe View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by myfirstbmwyxe View Post
Wow! I didn't expect the how active this forum is! It was my first post, and didn't expect such a quick response. Sorry, I should've been more clear.
I am currently at around 4000km mark, and now both of the mufflers are flaking. So, I took it in the BMW wondering if it's a manufacture defect from the parts, and asked them if I can have both replaced. They told me that they will not replace them, because it doesn't make sense for them to replace it every few thousand kms. Which it is understandable, which they told me to reach out to BMW Canada to see what they would be able to do.
The BMW customer service responded kindly saying that they will cover any manufacturer's defects during the 4yr/80,000km, but that this specific issue (interior muffler flaking) is not consistent with a manufacturing defect and that there is no further assistance they are able to provide me.
From the responses that I got from the dealership and BMW Canada, I want to safely assume that they won't replace it anymore.

I understand that this is such a small problem that does not affect the drive at all, but I am one of those that like to keep the vehicle's appearance all clean and spoiled at all times. Small chips and flakes bother me. Maybe I just need to let that honey moon phase pass.
Since BMW failed you, I would try carefully spraying some BBQ paint on the inside of the entire tips. But first mask off the painted bodywork and black chrome on the tips.
If mine start to flake, this is what I'll be doing. I can't be bothered to chase my dealer 2 or 3 times a year to replace the tips. I've no doubt they'd be telling me to sod off after the 2nd request.

$5 can of bbq/heat spray paint sounds good to me! 3 mins in the driveway vs hours/days in the shop.
Lol...just checked mine today. Guess what I'll be doing on Saturday! Too funny
'11 Z4 30i (retired);'11 X3 28i (retired); '15 M235i Stage 1 Dinan (recalled & crushed); '16 M235i Stage 3 Dinan (retired); '15 X3 28i (retired); '14 328i (retired), 2019 X3M40i (retired); Loaded '18 X1 (retired); Loaded '20 X3MC DG, Black/Tan Merino (retired); Loaded '23 X1 Cape York green and Red/Black interior; '23 Audi A4 Allroad Progressiv
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2019, 11:46 AM   #68
383vett
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i, 2012 X3 Xdrive35

Quote:
Originally Posted by MechX3M40i View Post
I'll probably take the same approach... The key unknown here, is the question of, will the pipe rusts out without the black paint? Continue to monitor
The paint is just cosmetic. The pipe is stainless steel which will not rust. Before painting, scuff the area with 100-400 grit sandpaper which will provide "teeth" for the new paint to adhere to. Mask off the edges and spray away. I would certainly do this before leaving my car with the dealership and risk paint chips or other possible damage.
Appreciate 3
BMWZ41904.00
MechX3M40i1006.00
      03-15-2019, 11:57 AM   #69
Dandle
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G05 X5 M50i

Does anyone know if they have improved the paint on the newer tailpipes? I've just purchased a used approved M40i and part of the deal was that they look at the l/h tailpipe that was flaking. They are putting a new back box on before I take delivery now, I'm just wondering if its going to happen again on the new exhaust.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2019, 12:14 PM   #70
MechX3M40i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i Blue/Cognac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dandle View Post
Does anyone know if they have improved the paint on the newer tailpipes? I've just purchased a used approved M40i and part of the deal was that they look at the l/h tailpipe that was flaking. They are putting a new back box on before I take delivery now, I'm just wondering if its going to happen again on the new exhaust.
There is at least one report earlier in this thread saying that the replacement part also showed paint flaking...

https://www.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...php?p=24442081
Appreciate 1
Dandle213.50
      03-15-2019, 12:18 PM   #71
MechX3M40i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 383vett View Post
Quote:
I'll probably take the same approach... The key unknown here, is the question of, will the pipe rusts out without the black paint? Continue to monitor
The paint is just cosmetic. The pipe is stainless steel which will not rust. Before painting, scuff the area with 100-400 grit sandpaper which will provide "teeth" for the new paint to adhere to. Mask off the edges and spray away. I would certainly do this before leaving my car with the dealership and risk paint chips or other possible damage.
You suggestion is a sound one. I would also use a mild solvent cleaner or something to wipe the sanded area, to make sure no grime or grease left to interfere with the paint adhesion.

My concern is to find a paint color and right gloss level (Matte I think) to match the other side, which is not flaking yet. Anyone found one that looks good, please share your experience.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2019, 12:48 PM   #72
OtherBusiness
Private
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

I had a Range Rover and had to paint the back box. I used a specific exhaust paint after roughing it up with a metal brush and drill.

This is the UK one, sure there is something similar in the US.

https://www.halfords.com/motoring/pa...ic-black-300ml

This was the metal brush https://www.halfords.com/workshop-to...cleaning-brush
Appreciate 1
BMWZ41904.00
      03-17-2019, 05:52 PM   #73
hal4uk
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i

First wash yesterday. I wasn't supposed to go through a car wash with the roof racks installed. Washed by hand with a garden hose. So definitely not a pressure related issue. My right pipe is flaking just like OP's image. I can't feature my old bones sitting down and sanding in there... I'll try black shoe polish. 🤨
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2019, 06:07 PM   #74
MechX3M40i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hal4uk View Post
First wash yesterday. I wasn't supposed to go through a car wash with the roof racks installed. Washed by hand with a garden hose. So definitely not a pressure related issue. My right pipe is flaking just like OP's image. I can't feature my old bones sitting down and sanding in there... I'll try black shoe polish. 🤨
Not saying this is going to happen but a possibility nonetheless - My concern is that there are multiple ingredients in the polish that maybe heat sensitive and got slow burnt by the exhaust gas over time. Beyond possible unpleasant smell, some of those may get volatilized (instead of getting burnt) and they end up getting airborne and deposit onto somewhere else.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2019, 07:28 PM   #75
hal4uk
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Not saying this is going to happen but a possibility nonetheless - My concern is that there are multiple ingredients in the polish that maybe heat sensitive and got slow burnt by the exhaust gas over time. Beyond possible unpleasant smell, some of those may get volatilized (instead of getting burnt) and they end up getting airborne and deposit onto somewhere else.
Awww heck.. I was just thinking out loud. (Prolly won't do THAT) Not going to do anything yet. It's just really bad that, when it flakes off, it's really noticeable, cause it's white looking. Whatever I do, I'm sure I'll be doing it myself. My dealership was finished when I wrote the check.

Curious... MechX, do you know if an out of state BMW dealer will do my 3 year service? The dealership gets paid, and does that regardless of where I bought it (??)
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2019, 07:36 PM   #76
MechX3M40i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hal4uk View Post
Quote:
Awww heck.. I was just thinking out loud. (Prolly won't do THAT) Not going to do anything yet. It's just really bad that, when it flakes off, it's really noticeable, cause it's white looking. Whatever I do, I'm sure I'll be doing it myself. My dealership was finished when I wrote the check.

Curious... MechX, do you know if an out of state BMW dealer will do my 3 year service? The dealership gets paid, and does that regardless of where I bought it (??)
I've seen a few members here in this forum bought their cars from out of state dealerships but had them serviced by local dealers for warranty work. I don't see any issues, as long as the dealers got paid by BMW. Your challenge is to find one that will bat for you when an issue falls in the gray area, such as 'is a trim piece installed and functioning properly or is the part actually warped'?
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2019, 07:50 PM   #77
XGoober
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

Quote:
I've seen a few members here in this forum bought their cars from out of state dealerships but had them serviced by local dealers for warranty work. I don't see any issues, as long as the dealers got paid by BMW. Your challenge is to find one that will bat for you when an issue falls in the gray area, such as 'is a trim piece installed and functioning properly or is the part actually warped'?
Yeah, I don't think the service dept at your average dealer really cares where you bought your car. I've often gotten the vibe that they effectively operate as a separate business to the sales team. Unfortunately you will more often than not have trouble finding one that will go the extra mile. They often seem to just not want the hassle, and if there is an easy excuse such as the mind-numbing "This is normal behavior", they will take it almost every time.

With few exceptions, I have found that the squeaky wheel gets the grease. Keep pestering, ask for the GM's contact number, etc. Once it is clear that you are not going to nod and defer to their 'wisdom' then you can make progress. You won't always get the result you are looking for, but push until you really hit a wall and then re-evaluate. I try hard to let little things slide, as I just don't want the hassle of fighting with a poor service dept.
Appreciate 1
      03-17-2019, 07:51 PM   #78
hal4uk
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Good to know. Thanks!

I'll be contacting a Kentucky dealership soon, just to touch base. I'm hoping they might see me as "customer". 😎
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2019, 08:10 PM   #79
hal4uk
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by XGoober View Post
Yeah, I don't think the service dept at your average dealer really cares where you bought your car. I've often gotten the vibe that they effectively operate as a separate business to the sales team. Unfortunately you will more often than not have trouble finding one that will go the extra mile. They often seem to just not want the hassle, and if there is an easy excuse such as the mind-numbing "This is normal behavior", they will take it almost every time.

With few exceptions, I have found that the squeaky wheel gets the grease. Keep pestering, ask for the GM's contact number, etc. Once it is clear that you are not going to nod and defer to their 'wisdom' then you can make progress. You won't always get the result you are looking for, but push until you really hit a wall and then re-evaluate. I try hard to let little things slide, as I just don't want the hassle of fighting with a poor service dept.
Gotcha. Thanks!

Luckily, so far, I'm not worried about gray areas. Just the 3 year service (oil changes?). That ain't a gray area.

My central Illinois dealer is only in the business of selling a vehicle ONCE, and not doing anything after that. So, I don't even want them servicing it. I know the service guys are removed from the "client advisers", but nevertheless... Seems stupid to come back in when they don't want you there.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2019, 07:32 AM   #80
derklink
Private First Class
Rep

Can't believe my right tip started flaking...car has 1,400 miles on it. Just a small piece so far but now I see it every time I look at the car. 2019 model year, built in October 2018. Given that replacements seem to have the same issue, I don't really know what to do. Should I go to the dealership right away or wait and see if it gets worse?
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2019, 07:51 AM   #81
Dandle
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G05 X5 M50i

I would go to the dealer right away and get it replaced. It's only if this keeps costing them that they will finally come up with a fix. I had a new exhaust on my used approved car for this issue.

On a side note does anyone know how the left hand valve actually works. Does it only open when driven hard as I have been checking it for heat and most of the time it's stone cold even when the car has been in sport mode. It has been hot a couple if times so it works I just can't make out when it works.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2019, 10:35 AM   #82
london_v
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dandle View Post
I would go to the dealer right away and get it replaced. It's only if this keeps costing them that they will finally come up with a fix. I had a new exhaust on my used approved car for this issue.

On a side note does anyone know how the left hand valve actually works. Does it only open when driven hard as I have been checking it for heat and most of the time it's stone cold even when the car has been in sport mode. It has been hot a couple if times so it works I just can't make out when it works.
Odd, I thought both flaps should be open in sports/ sports+ mode? I've done the exhaust mod so flaps are constantly open even in Comfort.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2019, 03:22 PM   #83
PaulE
Private
United_States
Rep

As I mentioned in my broken window post, I asked the dealer to take a look at the driver (left) side exhaust which has the flaking issue on the interior of the exhaust tip. They are going to replace it.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2019, 06:52 PM   #84
BMWZ4
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulE View Post
As I mentioned in my broken window post, I asked the dealer to take a look at the driver (left) side exhaust which has the flaking issue on the interior of the exhaust tip. They are going to replace it.
Will they replace a 2nd or 3rd time when those start flaking? Doubtful...fixed mine with some bbq flat black spray paint a couple of weekends ago. You'd never know the difference. And when they start flaking again in a couple of months...more bbq paint...3 mins in the laneway every few months vs. multiple trips to the dealer and be w/o my car for x # of days...priceless
'11 Z4 30i (retired);'11 X3 28i (retired); '15 M235i Stage 1 Dinan (recalled & crushed); '16 M235i Stage 3 Dinan (retired); '15 X3 28i (retired); '14 328i (retired), 2019 X3M40i (retired); Loaded '18 X1 (retired); Loaded '20 X3MC DG, Black/Tan Merino (retired); Loaded '23 X1 Cape York green and Red/Black interior; '23 Audi A4 Allroad Progressiv
Appreciate 2
      03-29-2019, 07:17 PM   #85
PaulE
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Will they replace a 2nd or 3rd time when those start flaking? Doubtful...fixed mine with some bbq flat black spray paint a couple of weekends ago. You'd never know the difference. And when they start flaking again in a couple of months...more bbq paint...3 mins in the laneway every few months vs. multiple trips to the dealer and be w/o my car for x # of days...priceless
I doubt the will continue tor replace mine when it happens again too. But since my car was there to have a broken window repaired I figured it wouldn't hurt to ask and see. Unless they've had their supplier make a running change to the painting process since October 2019, I expect it will happen again.
Appreciate 2
BMWZ41904.00
MechX3M40i1006.00
      03-30-2019, 11:17 AM   #86
derklink
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
You mean something like this?

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Rust-Ole...8830/202315061

You cover the area around the exhaust so nothing gets on the car?
Appreciate 1
BMWZ41904.00
      03-30-2019, 11:26 AM   #87
BMWZ4
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by derklink View Post
Quote:
You mean something like this?

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Rust-Ole...8830/202315061

You cover the area around the exhaust so nothing gets on the car?
Correct. And yes, I just used some "frog tape" and newspaper. Worked like a charm
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2019, 12:59 PM   #88
derklink
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Correct. And yes, I just used some "frog tape" and newspaper. Worked like a charm
Thanks!
Appreciate 0