BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

02-25-2019, 02:07 AM   #45
BMWGuySweden
First Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Am I the only one with an earlier build date? (April 2018)
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2019, 09:23 AM   #46
PaulE
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MechX3M40i View Post
Same situation as mine, but I only have 3500 miles. Waiting for my first year oil change before turning it in to deal with this. Maybe right side will also do the same by then, and I can have both done at the same time.

The paint flake is rather flimsy and the exposed area is still metallic shiny so no sign of corrosion or deterioration of any nature, yet...
Same here, the bare metal looks fine. My preference would be for all of the exhaust tip inside and outside to be shiny silver or the matte titanium on the door mirror caps. But I'm not about to start trying to strip any of the black off either the interior or the exterior of the exhaust tips. At 500 miles per week, my oil change will be coming up soon, and I'll see what they have to say.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2019, 09:30 AM   #47
MechX3M40i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i Blue/Cognac

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulE View Post
Quote:
Same situation as mine, but I only have 3500 miles. Waiting for my first year oil change before turning it in to deal with this. Maybe right side will also do the same by then, and I can have both done at the same time.

The paint flake is rather flimsy and the exposed area is still metallic shiny so no sign of corrosion or deterioration of any nature, yet...
Same here, the bare metal looks fine. My preference would be for all of the exhaust tip inside and outside to be shiny silver or the matte titanium on the door mirror caps. But I'm not about to start trying to strip any of the black off either the interior or the exterior of the exhaust tips. At 500 miles per week, my oil change will be coming up soon, and I'll see what they have to say.
Keep us posted! I think the paint flake is an annoying, but not functionally dire, defects that BMW would fix under warranty.

Sure wonder if the left side was negatively impacted by the exhaust flap closing at times... The inside black coating seemed not liking this... :
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2019, 10:43 AM   #48
deladude
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Keep us posted! I think the paint flake is an annoying, but not functionally dire, defects that BMW would fix under warranty.

Sure wonder if the left side was negatively impacted by the exhaust flap closing at times... The inside black coating seemed not liking this... :
With the right being open 100% of the time it probably built up a 'protective' coating of exhaust soot that the left side could not benefit from. Cause exhaust soot is more robust than BMW paint, right?
Appreciate 1
MechX3M40i1006.00
      02-25-2019, 10:46 AM   #49
MechX3M40i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by deladude View Post
Quote:

With the right being open 100% of the time it probably built up a 'protective' coating of exhaust soot that the left side could not benefit from. Cause exhaust soot is more robust than BMW paint
Great point! The soot could be a better coating than what's on there now! I'm sure it helps to get more pops and bangs too!

Cat delete to the rescue!
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2019, 11:32 AM   #50
chicagofan00
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 M60i

Garage List
2024 BMW X5 M60i  [10.00]
It's a good thing I've pulled the fuse to keep the left flap open at all times so early on into ownership!

Current - 2024 G05 X5 ///M60i in Java Green
Past - 2005 E53 X5 3.0i in Titanium Silver; 2008 E92 335i in Montego Blue; 2019 G01 X3 M40i in Glacier Silver; 2022 G80 M3 Competition in Twilight Purple
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2019, 11:52 AM   #51
BMWGuySweden
First Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep

The right exhaust will eventually start flaking as well. Just a matter of time
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2019, 12:32 PM   #52
RocketRomeo
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWGuySweden View Post
Am I the only one with an earlier build date? (April 2018)
Nope... mine was April 2018 too
      02-25-2019, 06:02 PM   #53
BobsM3Coupe
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketRomeo View Post
Hi

They replaced the end "section" as they referred to it. Apparently it's the end cans plus a section of pipe.

And the issue is now completely resolved
The rear section also includes the muffler. The tips are welded on when the rear section is manufactured. So they aren't available separately.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2019, 04:49 PM   #54
myfirstbmwyxe
Registered
Rep

Angry 2018 BMW X3 M40i- Muffler Flaking

I already have the passenger muffler replaced (replaced <2000km) due to the flaking in the interior.
I got a response from BMW saying that this is not due to a defect in the manufacturing or workmanship of the vehicle...and that there is not further assistance that they are able to provide.
This is ridiculous. It is my first ever BMW, and I have always heard how great and high quality their products are. Is anyone else having the same problem? I am sure they will always bring up the 4 year/80,000km warranty, but what if they say that is is in the interior of the muffler, and it's considered "wearable" component and won't replace it for me in 3 years?
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2019, 06:04 PM   #55
MechX3M40i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by myfirstbmwyxe View Post
I already have the passenger muffler replaced (replaced <2000km) due to the flaking in the interior.
I got a response from BMW saying that this is not due to a defect in the manufacturing or workmanship of the vehicle...and that there is not further assistance that they are able to provide.
This is ridiculous. It is my first ever BMW, and I have always heard how great and high quality their products are. Is anyone else having the same problem? I am sure they will always bring up the 4 year/80,000km warranty, but what if they say that is is in the interior of the muffler, and it's considered "wearable" component and won't replace it for me in 3 years?
Just want to confirm - So, are you saying that, if the replacement part also fails, BMW won't replace it again even if your car is still under warranty?

Or, are you saying that, BMW replaced the part for you and there is no additional action from them, despite that you are expecting more?

I'm confused... :
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2019, 10:32 AM   #56
myfirstbmwyxe
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Just want to confirm - So, are you saying that, if the replacement part also fails, BMW won't replace it again even if your car is still under warranty?

Or, are you saying that, BMW replaced the part for you and there is no additional action from them, despite that you are expecting more?

I'm confused... :
Wow! I didn't expect the how active this forum is! It was my first post, and didn't expect such a quick response. Sorry, I should've been more clear.
I am currently at around 4000km mark, and now both of the mufflers are flaking. So, I took it in the BMW wondering if it's a manufacture defect from the parts, and asked them if I can have both replaced. They told me that they will not replace them, because it doesn't make sense for them to replace it every few thousand kms. Which it is understandable, which they told me to reach out to BMW Canada to see what they would be able to do.
The BMW customer service responded kindly saying that they will cover any manufacturer's defects during the 4yr/80,000km, but that this specific issue (interior muffler flaking) is not consistent with a manufacturing defect and that there is no further assistance they are able to provide me.
From the responses that I got from the dealership and BMW Canada, I want to safely assume that they won't replace it anymore.

I understand that this is such a small problem that does not affect the drive at all, but I am one of those that like to keep the vehicle's appearance all clean and spoiled at all times. Small chips and flakes bother me. Maybe I just need to let that honey moon phase pass.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2019, 10:39 AM   #57
MechX3M40i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

I'm confused... :
Wow! I didn't expect the how active this forum is! It was my first post, and didn't expect such a quick response. Sorry, I should've been more clear.
I am currently at around 4000km mark, and now both of the mufflers are flaking. So, I took it in the BMW wondering if it's a manufacture defect from the parts, and asked them if I can have both replaced. They told me that they will not replace them, because it doesn't make sense for them to replace it every few thousand kms. Which it is understandable, which they told me to reach out to BMW Canada to see what they would be able to do.
The BMW customer service responded kindly saying that they will cover any manufacturer's defects during the 4yr/80,000km, but that this specific issue (interior muffler flaking) is not consistent with a manufacturing defect and that there is no further assistance they are able to provide me.
From the responses that I got from the dealership and BMW Canada, I want to safely assume that they won't replace it anymore.

I understand that this is such a small problem that does not affect the drive at all, but I am one of those that like to keep the vehicle's appearance all clean and spoiled at all times. Small chips and flakes bother me. Maybe I just need to let that honey moon phase pass.
Thank you for the clarification, and sorry that the replacement part also failed (flaking of paint). I am wondering if the replacement part was also manufactured with the defective batch of paint???

I'm not satisfied with their response on this, since I expect this should not have happened in the first place, and they should continue to replace the replacement part since your car is still under warranty. :

Are there any other forum members whom had the flaking part replaced and continued to have issues?
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2019, 07:29 PM   #58
BobsM3Coupe
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5MC

Quote:

Since BMW failed you, I would try carefully spraying some BBQ paint on the inside of the entire tips. But first mask off the painted bodywork and black chrome on the tips.
Appreciate 1
BMWZ41909.50
      03-10-2019, 02:06 PM   #59
RocketRomeo
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordoma View Post
Early Sept 2018 build, about 3K miles. Living in NE USA. Left exhaust tip paint is flaking. Looks the same as the OP. I'll take it in in the Spring...
They replaced both end cans finally... I'll see how it goes over the next few weeks... no rattles like the original exhaust though
Hi OP, did they just replace the rectangular end-piece where the flaking occurred, or did they have to replace much more including piping and/or muffler? Also, does the issue go away completely with the replacement part after you have a chance to drive it for more than a month?

My left side has the same flaking issue now, Oct 2018 build with 3k miles. I'm weighing my options, not sure if I want to go see the dealer now, or wait until the first service call...
Hi

They replaced the end "section" as they referred to it. Apparently it's the end cans plus a section of pipe.

And the issue is now completely resolved
Sooo....

2nd replacement exhaust ... 3000 miles on...

The issue is back. Again left exhaust only..

Not impressed... back to BMW I guess....
Attached Images

03-10-2019, 03:14 PM   #60
BMWZ4
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X1/'23 Allroad Progressiv

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobsM3Coupe View Post
Quote:

Since BMW failed you, I would try carefully spraying some BBQ paint on the inside of the entire tips. But first mask off the painted bodywork and black chrome on the tips.
If mine start to flake, this is what I'll be doing. I can't be bothered to chase my dealer 2 or 3 times a year to replace the tips. I've no doubt they'd be telling me to sod off after the 2nd request.

$5 can of bbq/heat spray paint sounds good to me! 3 mins in the driveway vs hours/days in the shop.
'11 Z4 30i (retired);'11 X3 28i (retired); '15 M235i Stage 1 Dinan (recalled & crushed); '16 M235i Stage 3 Dinan (retired); '15 X3 28i (retired); '14 328i (retired), 2019 X3M40i (retired); Loaded '18 X1 (retired); Loaded '20 X3MC DG, Black/Tan Merino (retired); Loaded '23 X1 Cape York green and Red/Black interior; '23 Audi A4 Allroad Progressiv
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2019, 03:29 PM   #61
MechX3M40i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWZ4 View Post
Quote:
Quote:

If mine start to flake, this is what I'll be doing. I can't be bothered to chase my dealer 2 or 3 times a year to replace the tips. I've no doubt they'd be telling me to sod off on the 2nd request.

$5 can of bbq/heat spray paint sounds good to me! 3 mins in the driveway vs hours/days in the shop.
Is this something common to all BMWs, or are we the M40i owners got picked on by a special square tips with lousy paint job?
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2019, 03:37 PM   #62
BMWZ4
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X1/'23 Allroad Progressiv

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWZ4 View Post
Quote:
Quote:

If mine start to flake, this is what I'll be doing. I can't be bothered to chase my dealer 2 or 3 times a year to replace the tips. I've no doubt they'd be telling me to sod off on the 2nd request.

Is this something common to all BMWs, or are we the M40i owners got picked on by a special square tips with lousy paint job?
Maybe bad cure job? I've got ~15kms so far, lots of salt/chemicals on the roads this year with all the freezing rain this season - no flaking as yet.
'11 Z4 30i (retired);'11 X3 28i (retired); '15 M235i Stage 1 Dinan (recalled & crushed); '16 M235i Stage 3 Dinan (retired); '15 X3 28i (retired); '14 328i (retired), 2019 X3M40i (retired); Loaded '18 X1 (retired); Loaded '20 X3MC DG, Black/Tan Merino (retired); Loaded '23 X1 Cape York green and Red/Black interior; '23 Audi A4 Allroad Progressiv
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2019, 04:06 PM   #63
efisher13
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335xi

Garage List
2019 X3 M 40i  [0.00]
2019 with 3200 and my left one is now showing signs of chipping.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2019, 04:15 PM   #64
IM_ALL_IN
Private First Class
Rep

My left exhaust tip is almost pure metallic now after losing most of the paint, the right one is fine. It started small and then kept creeping. Build date Sept last year.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2019, 06:51 PM   #65
PaulE
Private
United_States
Rep

My left side continues to flake. Nothing on the right side yet. If the metal is stainless under the paint and doesn't rust, I'm going to let mine go natural if BMW won't replace mine or if they do and the replacements do the same. My oil change is still 2,000 miles away, since 95% of my driving is highway, it looks the oil change is going to be due at 10,500 to 11,000 miles.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2019, 07:22 PM   #66
MechX3M40i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulE View Post
My left side continues to flake. Nothing on the right side yet. If the metal is stainless under the paint and doesn't rust, I'm going to let mine go natural if BMW won't replace mine or if they do and the replacements do the same. My oil change is still 2,000 miles away, since 95% of my driving is highway, it looks the oil change is going to be due at 10,500 to 11,000 miles.
I'll probably take the same approach... The key unknown here, is the question of, will the pipe rusts out without the black paint? Continue to monitor
Appreciate 0