BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

10-23-2020, 03:02 PM   #1
Lord_uzi2
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2013 pure stage 2 f30 335

Aftermarket exhaust !!!

So I'm running tune & dp on my x3m on e30, I also did a secondary cat delete & res delete so running a straight pipe with my OEM muffler, after few days of driving I noticed rattling from my muffler, basically my back fire & heightened back pressure caused something inside of the muffler to come loose, which rattled crazy, now I'm stuck buying a aftermarket exhaust :/
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2020, 03:19 PM   #2
ltym5
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M5

Mine did the same and after a few weeks, the rattle got so bad that I replaced with Dinan exhaust.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2020, 06:33 PM   #3
Lord_uzi2
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2013 pure stage 2 f30 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltym5 View Post
Mine did the same and after a few weeks, the rattle got so bad that I replaced with Dinan exhaust.
Quote:
I was going to get the Dinan axle back as well, it's definitely the cheapest option, you haven't had any issues with the muffler on the Dinan right? Was worried that over time it might produce a rattle too
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2020, 10:49 PM   #4
Parnishka
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3M Black Sapphire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord_uzi2 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
I was going to get the Dinan axle back as well, it's definitely the cheapest option, you haven't had any issues with the muffler on the Dinan right? Was worried that over time it might produce a rattle too
their axle back is 23 hundred bucks. crazy my opinion for just a muffler and the difference is barely noticeable.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2020, 05:35 AM   #5
DucatiT1098S
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X3M Comp.

Garage List
Dinan exhaust

I want to share some of my experiences with Dinan and their exhaust for the F97/98 platforms.
I was like many looking to change the sound of the S58 but the choices are slim and expensive so I went with Dinan, what a difference an exhaust makes but after installation a rattle started while sitting at idle and in EFF or Sport but went away in Sport+ and valves closed.
I contacted Dinan and spoke to Andrew who helped me through the warranty process and sent a new muffler to be installed at Eurofed but that muffler had the same rattle so Andrew wanted United BMW to have an engineer look at the exhaust and he sent another muffler just incase.
United BMW called and explained that they installed the 3rd exhaust and it rattled also, so they called Dinan and they sent a repair kit to fix the valves.
I just got my car back from BMW after being down for a week getting the 3rd muffler replaced under warranty for the valves rattling.
This is my 2nd BMW and my 1st Dinan product and I have to say that Dinans customer service is excellent and if your looking for a Dinan exhaust contact Jason at GETBMWPARTS.
I paid $1,900 with shipping and IMO it's worth the $ the sound has been greatly improved and the customer service has been great they took care of everything including a loaner for a week.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2020, 10:12 AM   #6
hellcat2m4
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by DucatiT1098S View Post
I want to share some of my experiences with Dinan and their exhaust for the F97/98 platforms.
I was like many looking to change the sound of the S58 but the choices are slim and expensive so I went with Dinan, what a difference an exhaust makes but after installation a rattle started while sitting at idle and in EFF or Sport but went away in Sport+ and valves closed.
I contacted Dinan and spoke to Andrew who helped me through the warranty process and sent a new muffler to be installed at Eurofed but that muffler had the same rattle so Andrew wanted United BMW to have an engineer look at the exhaust and he sent another muffler just incase.
United BMW called and explained that they installed the 3rd exhaust and it rattled also, so they called Dinan and they sent a repair kit to fix the valves.
I just got my car back from BMW after being down for a week getting the 3rd muffler replaced under warranty for the valves rattling.
This is my 2nd BMW and my 1st Dinan product and I have to say that Dinans customer service is excellent and if your looking for a Dinan exhaust contact Jason at GETBMWPARTS.
I paid $1,900 with shipping and IMO it's worth the $ the sound has been greatly improved and the customer service has been great they took care of everything including a loaner for a week.

Wow thats great customer service it seems like. I want to hear this axleback with catless downpipes!
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2020, 05:49 AM   #7
Influence
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3M, 2016 X5 35i

Quote:
So what was actually causing the rattle? Was it a problem with the Dinan muffler or something else in the exhaust setup?
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2020, 06:53 AM   #8
DucatiT1098S
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X3M Comp.

Garage List
I got my car back after BMW found the valves in the Dinan exhaust were rattling so Dinan sent a repair kit to fix the spring in the valves.
I noticed a little rattle coming from the valves so I talked with Dinan and they want me to bring my car back to BMW to have a different spring installed Dinan said that will fix the rattle.
Appreciate 1
AlexFL7833.00
      11-10-2020, 10:19 AM   #9
Influence
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I got my car back after BMW found the valves in the Dinan exhaust were rattling so Dinan sent a repair kit to fix the spring in the valves.
I noticed a little rattle coming from the valves so I talked with Dinan and they want me to bring my car back to BMW to have a different spring installed Dinan said that will fix the rattle.
So it sounds like the Dinan design is faulty, as you've had 3 mufflers and all made the noise. Hopefully that new spring fixes the rattle and they can make that as a running production change to prevent future issues. Glad to hear that they worked so hard to get the issue fixed.

Also, do you happen to know the inlet size on the Dinan tips? I like how the muffler sounds from the sound clips but really don't like how big the exhaust tips are. I'd like to see if I can use one of the AliExpress-sourced tip options with the Dinan muffler. The recently released ValveTronic might be an option as well. As much as I like the Remus and Akra parts, there is no way I can justify the price (like nearly 10% of what I paid for the car)
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2020, 10:44 AM   #10
evo-mike
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3M, 2016 435i M-Sport

FWIW the oem muffler has the same issue
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2020, 01:49 PM   #11
Influence
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by evo-mike View Post
FWIW the oem muffler has the same issue
Are you referring to the 900 RPM drone that a few of us ( me included) have experienced?
Appreciate 1
      11-10-2020, 02:46 PM   #12
evo-mike
Captain
Rep

Yes, it's really bad at idle but also happens during driving. Less noticeable due to noise from other areas. It's not just drone either. I noticed mine as soon as I bought it and it's gotten worse since. I have just over 3k miles and have full stock exhaust. Fortunately while in the car with the service manager as he was telling me they couldn't replicate this issue it started making a crazy sound.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2020, 10:20 AM   #13
BrooklynG87
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M2

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s REX  [0.00]
2021 Audi SQ5  [0.00]
2020 BMW M2 CS  [10.00]
2018 Audi SQ5  [0.00]
2020 BMW X3M Compet ...  [0.00]
1999 BMW M3  [0.00]
Oh crap! I just installed my Dinan exhaust last week. This doesn't give me the warm and fuzzies. Drone at idle, faulty springs...
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2020, 10:23 AM   #14
Influence
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynX3MC View Post
Oh crap! I just installed my Dinan exhaust last week. This doesn't give me the warm and fuzzies. Drone at idle, faulty springs...
The 900 RPM drone is with the stock non-Comp exhaust systems, not the Dinan. The valve spring issue is with the Dinan muffler though.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2020, 11:03 AM   #15
Parnishka
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3M Black Sapphire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Influence View Post
Quote:
The 900 RPM drone is with the stock non-Comp exhaust systems, not the Dinan. The valve spring issue is with the Dinan muffler though.
I do have a bit of a rattle at idle on stock non comp exhaust. is there any repair kit which I can use to illuminate the rattle noise?
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2020, 02:01 PM   #16
Influence
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnishka View Post
Quote:
Quote:
I do have a bit of a rattle at idle on stock non comp exhaust. is there any repair kit which I can use to illuminate the rattle noise?
The rattle is most likely from a bad muffler bracket weld. There is a known issue with that so take the car to your dealership and they can fix it for you. Late 2019 production cars were affected by this.
Appreciate 1
      11-12-2020, 02:22 PM   #17
S1ngl3t0n
Private First Class
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: BMW X3MC, Smart Fortwo, S1RR

I ha an x3mc and I'm hearing this drone at 900rpm. Will have to check this with my dealer...
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2020, 02:23 PM   #18
evo-mike
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnishka View Post
Quote:
Quote:
The rattle is most likely from a bad muffler bracket weld. There is a known issue with that so take the car to your dealership and they can fix it for you. Late 2019 production cars were affected by this.
Mine is internal, definitely not an exterior weld or bracket.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2020, 02:47 PM   #19
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G09 XM, G05 X5 40, 991.2 T

Drone at low RPM is your ASD. Unplug it and no more drone.
Active Autowerke • KW • H&R • Ohlins • Remus • and more...
Appreciate 1
Dobie Dog737.50
      11-12-2020, 03:17 PM   #20
evo-mike
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by r33_RGSport View Post
No, that could be some of it, but it makes a crazy sound. It builds from a rattle then it's so loud, I got underneath the car and it's definitely coming from the muffler. The dealership said they ordered a new muffler. I don't want to give them any excuse so I'm leaving the exhaust until it's fixed. Afterwards I will definitely remove the appropriate fuses.
Appreciate 1
r33_RGSport12803.00
      11-12-2020, 03:41 PM   #21
AlexFL
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by r33_RGSport View Post
or remove the muffler and bend the midpipes to the side and no more drone.
Appreciate 1
r33_RGSport12803.00