BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

09-28-2021, 07:02 PM   #1
Cometgrl
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW x3

Dashcam

What dashcams do you have that are well hidden? I searched other posts and I think I have way more questions than I can find myself. How do you have them wired? Does it look nice? I wouldn’t want it on when the car is off, just running is fine. How does that connect if I do it that way?
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2021, 07:13 PM   #2
Eris496
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3 M40i/2023 M3CX

Garage List
F27 on the passenger side fuse box panel I remember. Let the wire hide in the door seal and a pillar.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2021, 07:22 PM   #3
Eris496
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3 M40i/2023 M3CX

Garage List
Here https://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1586658
Appreciate 1
pej744593.00
      09-28-2021, 07:44 PM   #4
JDsX3
Photojournalist, Tech & Product Analyst
Rep
Drives: BMW X3, i4, Corvette Stingray

I am not sure why you would want to hide the dash cams, since seeing them is a real deterrent. Here is my write-up of the Blackvue DDR900S front and rear cameras https://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showt...lackvue+dr900s.

They work exceptionally well, providing sharp HQ images.
Current:2024 i4 Mineral White Metallic with Blue Exterior Accents, Canberra Beige Perforated SensaTec, Premium Package, Driving Assistance Pro Package, Drive Recorder. 2019 X3 Mineral White Metallic, Caberra Beige interior with most options. Corvette Stingray Arctic White w red interior.
Past:2002 Z3, Corvette Stingray and about 40 other cars
Appreciate 1
pej744593.00
      09-28-2021, 08:02 PM   #5
AVI8
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 22 X3 M40i

I'll be installing the Blackvue DR900X-2CH when I take delivery next week. I can post more info then.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2021, 08:45 PM   #6
MMnut
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M4

Something like this will work beautifully by itself. Set and forget. Replace the factory mirror cover so you dont even know it there or aftermarket cam. I have been using across models from Audi, BMW to Mer, VW since the last 10 years or so. Just search the right one for your car and model year.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3300...27424c4drrBGCT
Appreciate 1
      09-29-2021, 08:43 AM   #7
DenverSteve
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDsX3 View Post
I am not sure why you would want to hide the dash cams, since seeing them is a real deterrent. Here is my write-up of the Blackvue DDR900S front and rear cameras ...
The whole "personal camera" phenomenon is very curious to me. In the 40+ years I've been driving, I've not once said "...man, if I just had a camera attached to my car (fill in bike, skis, helmet.....). What is the/are the issues you want to deter? Doorbell cameras and house cameras don't seem to deter anything. At best, they only tell you who has your sh!+ not where it is or kept it safe. However, I'm open to new and great ideas.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2021, 09:02 AM   #8
geologistshelf
Private
Rep
Drives: Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverSteve View Post
The whole "personal camera" phenomenon is very curious to me. In the 40+ years I've been driving, I've not once said "...man, if I just had a camera attached to my car (fill in bike, skis, helmet.....). What is the/are the issues you want to deter? Doorbell cameras and house cameras don't seem to deter anything. At best, they only tell you who has your sh!+ not where it is or kept it safe. However, I'm open to new and great ideas.
I kind of see the appeal. Last year some bozo pulled out of a side street and side swiped me while trying to cut off the car behind me who didn't want to let him in. We pulled over and exchanged information. I made a claim against his insurance company who said the driver denied that any collision took place. I spent the next couple of weeks staking out his apartment to take pictures of his car showing damage and paint transfer from mine to prove an accident happened. A dash cam would have made this process much less painful.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2021, 09:14 AM   #9
dtox9
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 X5 F15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cometgrl View Post
What dashcams do you have that are well hidden? I searched other posts and I think I have way more questions than I can find myself. How do you have them wired? Does it look nice? I wouldn’t want it on when the car is off, just running is fine. How does that connect if I do it that way?
I installed a pair of Viofo cameras.... A129 Duo Plus 2K...
Not concealed, but not obtrusive, either.

If you want them only to run while the car is on, you can wire them to an ACCessory fuse in the panel that shuts down after the ignition turns off... or wire a female power socket to the panel, and just plug in your adapter cable that comes with the cameras.

If you want them to also record while parked, it's best to wire them to a external battery pack (Cellink Neo or similar), that gets charged while the car is running, and then powers the cameras when the car is off - protecting your car's electrical system and onboard car battery.

Wires get "tucked" behind the trim.

Some cameras have "cloud" access, so you can monitor your cameras or view their footage remotely... others have "wifi" so you can download to your phone... while others just simply use their removable sd card for storage.

1080P, 2K, and 4K options out there.
Some good videos found online @ www.blackboxmycar.com
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2021, 07:38 PM   #10
DenverSteve
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderBludgeon View Post
I kind of see the appeal. Last year some bozo pulled out of a side street and side swiped me while trying to cut off the car behind me who didn't want to let him in. We pulled over and exchanged information. I made a claim against his insurance company who said the driver denied that any collision took place. I spent the next couple of weeks staking out his apartment to take pictures of his car showing damage and paint transfer from mine to prove an accident happened. A dash cam would have made this process much less painful.
I get the possible benefit for identifying the hit-and-run driver but it seems completely negated since you didn't give it to the police and let them do their jobs.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2021, 08:34 PM   #11
geologistshelf
Private
Rep
Drives: Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverSteve View Post
I get the possible benefit for identifying the hit-and-run driver but it seems completely negated since you didn't give it to the police and let them do their jobs.
It wasn't a hit and run, my dude. He literally stopped and we exchanged info. Then he called his insurance company and told them I claimed he hit me but that he didn't. I had to prove to his insurance company that he did hit me.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2021, 08:43 PM   #12
DenverSteve
Lieutenant
Rep

Yeah...... I really shouldn't rely on my memory after supper.........
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2021, 09:21 PM   #13
AVI8
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 22 X3 M40i

All depends on where you live. Hit and runs and break ins are fairly common in larger cities. Having a dash cam is a good investment.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2021, 12:50 PM   #14
neilr_
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i Phytonic Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtox9 View Post
I installed a pair of Viofo cameras.... A129 Duo Plus 2K...
Not concealed, but not obtrusive, either.

If you want them only to run while the car is on, you can wire them to an ACCessory fuse in the panel that shuts down after the ignition turns off... or wire a female power socket to the panel, and just plug in your adapter cable that comes with the cameras.

If you want them to also record while parked, it's best to wire them to a external battery pack (Cellink Neo or similar), that gets charged while the car is running, and then powers the cameras when the car is off - protecting your car's electrical system and onboard car battery.

Wires get "tucked" behind the trim.

Some cameras have "cloud" access, so you can monitor your cameras or view their footage remotely... others have "wifi" so you can download to your phone... while others just simply use their removable sd card for storage.

1080P, 2K, and 4K options out there.
Some good videos found online @ www.blackboxmycar.com
I'm looking at the same setup. Is your rear cam just stuck to the hatch glass? Any trouble with it staying in place? Someone on the dashcamtalk forum reported that theirs wouldn't stay on - though they live somewhere that gets very cold, which probably hinders adhesiveness.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2021, 01:14 PM   #15
dtox9
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 X5 F15

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilr_ View Post
I'm looking at the same setup. Is your rear cam just stuck to the hatch glass? Any trouble with it staying in place? Someone on the dashcamtalk forum reported that theirs wouldn't stay on - though they live somewhere that gets very cold, which probably hinders adhesiveness.
I read that same post - haha - - - it sounded to me like the poster didn't properly prep the adhesion area / and also was attempting to install (as you mention) in freezing cold temperatures, most likely outdoors, as well.

I had ZERO issues installing the system, including the rear camera and battery pack(s).

Here's a couple of pics of my rear camera mounted on the glass:
In order to get the camera as close to the top of the window as possible, I had to dremel out a small piece of the trim for the power cable to fit.

[[ side note / be sure to install the camera within the path of the window wiper so you can still see driving in the rain ]]
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
neilr_141.50
      09-30-2021, 06:20 PM   #16
JSY
Major
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X3 M40i

Garage List
I never thought of hiding my dash cams, and right now it's so obvious near the rear view mirror on the passenger side. That with the blinking red alarm light on the rear view mirror maybe does deter. I have my dashcam only for driving, though.
Appreciate 2
JDsX3510.00
      10-04-2021, 09:52 PM   #17
Cometgrl
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW x3

Thanks for all the replies. I’m not so concerned about hiding the actual camera but more the wire. I just want it to look nice and not have a wire hanging down. I’ll look into the options you all suggested.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2024, 08:58 AM   #18
Walcottehrv
Registered
Rep
Drives: X3

Mercylion A20 is perfect hidden dash cam. Tiny, affordable, and easy to set up. 100% Factory fitted, no need to run and hide wires all over the place! looks clean. Plug it into the cigarette lighter, and good to go. Don't need all the bells and whistles, just want it to record in case something happens.

Last edited by Walcottehrv; 04-12-2024 at 11:01 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2024, 10:44 AM   #19
kts813
Private
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X3 M40i

Fitcamx from Amazon. Share power from rain sensor. Complete hidden.
Appreciate 0