BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
XBimmers | BMW X3 Forum BMW X3 and X4 Forums | F25 (2011 - 2017) | F26 (2014 - Current) Second Generation BMW X3 (F25) General Forum Pirelli (PZ4) Run flat - Tramlining

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      03-17-2018, 08:07 PM   #1
fantasy86
New Member
Australia
0
Rep
18
Posts

Drives: 2013 BMW X3 30D MSport
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Melbourne

iTrader: (0)

Pirelli (PZ4) Run flat - Tramlining

Hi all,

Iíve got a 2013 X3 30D Msport with 19inch staggered setup that came factory fitted with the original Pirelli P Zero run flat tires. Due to puncture I had to replace both front tires and have chosen to go with the new P Zero (PZ4) whilst rears are at 30% thread left on original P Zero.

Ever since the tire change Iíve experienced extensive tramlining issues on uneven road surfaces/while changing lane going over road marker lines. Iíve had alsignment checked and re aligned multiple times at bmw with no luck of rectifying the issue. BMW has also since replaced the steering rack to the latest version as well as replaced both front struts but car still tramlines a lot. Car seems to run very smoothly and doesnít pull on flat roads. Tramlining/instability is more evident in the wet also...

Could this be caused by running different treat patterns front (new pattern) and rear (old pattern) and/or worn tires in the rear?

Would you guys recommend changing out the rears to new PZ4 also so the front and rear matches? Tire shop and bmw said as long as I have same pattern on either axle then it shouldnít cause any issues though...

Also what tires do your 19inch M sport staggered setup come factory fitted with? Any other run flat you guys recommend switching to?
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2018, 09:34 PM   #2
tracer bullet
Major
tracer bullet's Avatar
United_States
435
Rep
1,448
Posts

Drives: '11 135i , '15 X3 35i
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Saint Paul, MN

iTrader: (1)

Strange. I think there's an inside edge and an outside edge, did they get switched? Any chance they are directional tires but running backwards?

Try a different alignment shop, just in case the same person did the same incorrect alignment at the dealer? I am doubting this one and it'll cost but is an idea.

Any chance to get a different set of wheels / tires put on for a few hours to see if it goes away and help narrow it down? I would say too that if the tires you have are indeed "high performance" as claimed, and may be, the softer compound might alone be the culprit. Maybe there's not an issue at all, it's just grippy tires doing what grippy tires are prone to doing?

I just bought mine CPO, it has Bridgestone Potenza Re960's on it. I haven't noticed any issues.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2018, 11:31 AM   #3
Tjalle
Major
163
Rep
1,259
Posts

Drives: X4 35i
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Sweden

iTrader: (0)

I would not mix RFT/non-RFT:s. Without real knowledge, I would recommend going for new rear tyres.

Tramlining started with new setup - normal procedure is to go for 100% no RFT.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2018, 05:26 PM   #4
fantasy86
New Member
Australia
0
Rep
18
Posts

Drives: 2013 BMW X3 30D MSport
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Melbourne

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracer bullet View Post
Strange. I think there's an inside edge and an outside edge, did they get switched? Any chance they are directional tires but running backwards?

Try a different alignment shop, just in case the same person did the same incorrect alignment at the dealer? I am doubting this one and it'll cost but is an idea.

Any chance to get a different set of wheels / tires put on for a few hours to see if it goes away and help narrow it down? I would say too that if the tires you have are indeed "high performance" as claimed, and may be, the softer compound might alone be the culprit. Maybe there's not an issue at all, it's just grippy tires doing what grippy tires are prone to doing?

I just bought mine CPO, it has Bridgestone Potenza Re960's on it. I haven't noticed any issues.
The tires are fitted correctly.

Front replacement tires are the new version P Zero run flat that replaced the original hence are both high performance tires. Which makes me wonder whether the different tread pattern/tread depth contributes to the Tramlining....
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2018, 04:03 PM   #5
P1Fanatic
Private First Class
7
Rep
115
Posts

Drives: F25 30d M-Sport Alpine White
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Berkshire, UK

iTrader: (0)

Iíve got the same setup and have the same problem but I havenít changed the front tires and have changed the rears but it was happening prior to that. Although not sure exactly when it started happening. Have always kept with p zeros and they have been fine before but did not realise there were different versions. Was planning on getting new fronts in a couple of months as on about 3mm at the mo and hoping that inproves things.

The tramlining reminds me of my focus rs mk2 which fidgeted on bumpy roads and when going over cats eyes.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2018, 05:57 AM   #6
fantasy86
New Member
Australia
0
Rep
18
Posts

Drives: 2013 BMW X3 30D MSport
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Melbourne

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by P1Fanatic View Post
Iíve got the same setup and have the same problem but I havenít changed the front tires and have changed the rears but it was happening prior to that. Although not sure exactly when it started happening. Have always kept with p zeros and they have been fine before but did not realise there were different versions. Was planning on getting new fronts in a couple of months as on about 3mm at the mo and hoping that inproves things.

The tramlining reminds me of my focus rs mk2 which fidgeted on bumpy roads and when going over cats eyes.
Weíre you able to find what caused your focus rs to tramline?

I just find it really strange that the car drove perfectly with no Tramlining at all for the first 3 years till now with new version p zero and having new steering rack fitted. BMW service manager said it might be a result of new rack version which changes the steering feel...
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2018, 04:02 PM   #7
P1Fanatic
Private First Class
7
Rep
115
Posts

Drives: F25 30d M-Sport Alpine White
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Berkshire, UK

iTrader: (0)

The Focus was a 300bhp FWD car that torque steered like a pig. I just put it down to the diff / revoknuckle setup.

My X3 has been fine for 2.5 years and nothing really changed to initiate the tramlining like a tyre change. I thought maybe it was to do with new tyres on the rears giving a big tread difference rears vs fronts (7mm vs 3mm) but am pretty sure it happened well before the new rears went on.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2018, 04:04 PM   #8
P1Fanatic
Private First Class
7
Rep
115
Posts

Drives: F25 30d M-Sport Alpine White
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Berkshire, UK

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fantasy86 View Post
Weíre you able to find what caused your focus rs to tramline?

I just find it really strange that the car drove perfectly with no Tramlining at all for the first 3 years till now with new version p zero and having new steering rack fitted. BMW service manager said it might be a result of new rack version which changes the steering feel...
Is it easy to tell which version p zero you have? Mine is the same and on really bad road near me that has been resurfaced multiple times and my steering wheel pulls all over the place to the point where you need both hands on the wheel.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2018, 04:19 PM   #9
atarivers
Private First Class
3
Rep
100
Posts

Drives: 2014 X3 xDrive35i M Sport
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

Are you sure that is a tire problem?

Quote:
Originally Posted by P1Fanatic View Post
Is it easy to tell which version p zero you have? Mine is the same and on really bad road near me that has been resurfaced multiple times and my steering wheel pulls all over the place to the point where you need both hands on the wheel.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2018, 11:51 PM   #10
fantasy86
New Member
Australia
0
Rep
18
Posts

Drives: 2013 BMW X3 30D MSport
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Melbourne

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by P1Fanatic View Post
Is it easy to tell which version p zero you have? Mine is the same and on really bad road near me that has been resurfaced multiple times and my steering wheel pulls all over the place to the point where you need both hands on the wheel.
The tread pattern on the new P zero PZ4 is different to the original pattern. If you check Pirelli website youíll see the difference.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2018, 11:55 PM   #11
fantasy86
New Member
Australia
0
Rep
18
Posts

Drives: 2013 BMW X3 30D MSport
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Melbourne

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by atarivers View Post
Are you sure that is a tire problem?
Iíve had alignments check and redone at dealer as well as tire shop. Had steering rack replaced as well as both front shocks replaced. Had suspension and steering components checked for loose/worn joins at a specialist suspension shop but every thing came back ok. Which makes me think itís the tires...

What other factors/components would you suggest that mightíve contributed to Tramlining?
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2018, 10:56 PM   #12
sibhusz06
Private
23
Rep
89
Posts

Drives: 2011 E90 M3
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: DC

iTrader: (0)

I had a similar problem as you and knew my suspension was ok, it was basically the RFT tires. My tram lining went away after tire replacement with non rfts. Something about the construction of the tire which doesn't allow it to deflect enough which causes it to just wander over surface irregularities. You can try to reduce the tire pressure by 3psi to see if it helps..
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2018, 06:53 AM   #13
P1Fanatic
Private First Class
7
Rep
115
Posts

Drives: F25 30d M-Sport Alpine White
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Berkshire, UK

iTrader: (0)

I have only ever used RFT and never seen the issue before. I tried lowering my front tyre pressure and made no difference. Think I dropped 2psi as did not want to affect wear rate too much.

Its a quandry as changing to non rft would mean all 4 and ebat part of £900. Gonna replace fronts in next 2 months with same p zero and see what happens. If no change will speak with local bmw indy specialist for ideas.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2018, 03:49 PM   #14
atarivers
Private First Class
3
Rep
100
Posts

Drives: 2014 X3 xDrive35i M Sport
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

I can't think of anything other than what you've had checked unless you are dealing with very unusual road conditions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fantasy86 View Post
Iíve had alignments check and redone at dealer as well as tire shop. Had steering rack replaced as well as both front shocks replaced. Had suspension and steering components checked for loose/worn joins at a specialist suspension shop but every thing came back ok. Which makes me think itís the tires...

What other factors/components would you suggest that mightíve contributed to Tramlining?
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2018, 08:15 AM   #15
Aspen235
Private
5
Rep
74
Posts

Drives: 2014 X3 35i
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: London, ON

iTrader: (1)

try the new tires on the front, if it goes away then it's the tires. it is recommended by some to put the best tread tires on the rear to avoid oversteer when braking and cornering.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2018, 06:28 AM   #16
P1Fanatic
Private First Class
7
Rep
115
Posts

Drives: F25 30d M-Sport Alpine White
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Berkshire, UK

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aspen235 View Post
try the new tires on the front, if it goes away then it's the tires. it is recommended by some to put the best tread tires on the rear to avoid oversteer when braking and cornering.
Mine is staggered setup so wider tyres on the rear.

I cant see how its RFT as its all I have ever had fitted in the 3 yrs I have owned the car and no issues before.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2018, 12:04 AM   #17
fantasy86
New Member
Australia
0
Rep
18
Posts

Drives: 2013 BMW X3 30D MSport
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Melbourne

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aspen235 View Post
try the new tires on the front, if it goes away then it's the tires. it is recommended by some to put the best tread tires on the rear to avoid oversteer when braking and cornering.
This is exactly my setup. New pzero (pz4 new pattern RFT) with original 3yr old pzero RFT to the rear and it tramlines a lot... still no solution.

Not sure if changing out all 4 tires to Bridgestone RFT will help...

Any one know what tires come factory fitted on G01 X3 M Sport?
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2018, 07:42 AM   #18
fantasy86
New Member
Australia
0
Rep
18
Posts

Drives: 2013 BMW X3 30D MSport
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Melbourne

iTrader: (0)

Quick update.

Tramlining has been fixed after I replaced all 4 rims and tires. I managed to get a set of brand new wheels and tires off a 2017 X3 M sport that came fitted with P Zero run flat with original tread pattern (not the new PZ4). Tramlining issue completely went away after I replaced the wheels and tires.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2018, 10:12 AM   #19
tracer bullet
Major
tracer bullet's Avatar
United_States
435
Rep
1,448
Posts

Drives: '11 135i , '15 X3 35i
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Saint Paul, MN

iTrader: (1)

Sounds like it was the tires, specifically the new tread pattern.

Glad you got it fixed!
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2018, 07:30 AM   #20
Aspen235
Private
5
Rep
74
Posts

Drives: 2014 X3 35i
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: London, ON

iTrader: (1)

Glad it's fixed. Is the new set up square or staggered?
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2018, 05:35 AM   #21
gIzzE
Major General
gIzzE's Avatar
United Kingdom
203
Rep
5,610
Posts

Drives: Merc E350 cgi Estate + RR TDV8
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Norfolk, UK.

iTrader: (2)

I have been banging on for years about how different tyres front and rear 'can' cause all sorts of issues on BMWs.

On the RWD the traction light comes on a lot with mixed tyres, that shows you just how much traction you are losing.

You can also be fine, but why risk it on 'The Ultimate Driving Machine'? Just get 4 that match and know your car is right.
If you start mixing and matching tyres you may as well have bought an Audi or a Prius.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2018, 06:30 AM   #22
P1Fanatic
Private First Class
7
Rep
115
Posts

Drives: F25 30d M-Sport Alpine White
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Berkshire, UK

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gIzzE View Post
I have been banging on for years about how different tyres front and rear 'can' cause all sorts of issues on BMWs.

On the RWD the traction light comes on a lot with mixed tyres, that shows you just how much traction you are losing.

You can also be fine, but why risk it on 'The Ultimate Driving Machine'? Just get 4 that match and know your car is right.
If you start mixing and matching tyres you may as well have bought an Audi or a Prius.
To be faire we are talking about the same tyres just different revisions. Itís not like the new versions has a different name or code. Only way to tell is check the tread pattern. I was going to try the new version as generally get good reviews but this thread and £20 extra tyre have put me off. Mine is booked in this saturday to get original p zeros fitted on the fronts. Am hoping that sorts out my tramlining.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:35 AM.




xbimmers
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST