BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

09-18-2024, 06:12 AM   #1
Pownta
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 E83 M47

X3 E83 M47 - Glow plug / relay issues?

My 2006 X3 has been working fine for it's 350k km but is very hard to start in cold weather.
Last year i changed the glow plugs and the glow plug control module(aka glowplug relay?).
However the issue remains.

Fault codes have been for all 4 glow plugs: 4212, 4222, 4232, 4242.

Here's what i've tried so far:

-The control module measures 52 ohm on all 4 contacts.
-The 4 glow plugs are all at 0.6 ohm.
-The cable to the control module is getting 12v, even tried moving it around a bunch to check for breaks, but always a steady 12v.
-Cable from glow plug module to the glow plugs seem fine too, i measured for continuity and all 4 contacts respond.
-I tried measuring voltage at the cables from the CM to the glow plugs but it was pretty hard to do alone and i'm not sure how to simulate cold weather starts(did it inside a warm garage), however, each cable appears to deliver 4,5v at first, then trickling down to 0,2v before turning off over about 5 seconds.

I'm really at a loss of what the problem could be, if anyone has any idea i would really appreciate it.
Appreciate 0