BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

01-30-2023, 12:18 AM   #1
alex2364
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4 ZCP / 2023 X3 M40i

Garage List
2020 BMW M4  [10.00]
2023 BMW X3 M40i  [10.00]
Why doesn’t the headlight turn with steering wheel?

My ‘23 X3 M40i is my 5th BMW and all of my previous BMWs have had upgraded headlights that turn with the steering wheel. Why doesn’t this one do it? Was it available in pre LCI and taken out in LCI?
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2023, 03:06 AM   #2
Tim@codemybimmer
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2022 X4 M Competition F98 LCI

Garage List
Discussion is found in many threads, such as this one - https://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1889419

BMW had changed the system from an electromechanical system found on the Pre-LCI models (including the Pre-LCI G30 and G20 which used electromechanical), to a Matrix array system on both the Adaptive LED and Laserlights that splits into digital zones. Therefore instead of a mechanical swivel, they’ve made use of the cornering lights to illuminate the sides at tight corners, while shifting the lit zones to better illuminate those areas in addition to the anti-dazzle functionality.

Hope that helps!
Appreciate 3
      01-30-2023, 03:22 AM   #3
avi66
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex2364 View Post
My ‘23 X3 M40i is my 5th BMW and all of my previous BMWs have had upgraded headlights that turn with the steering wheel. Why doesn’t this one do it? Was it available in pre LCI and taken out in LCI?
As mentioned above, the LCI uses a newer tech based on matrix LED.

The old electro mechanical version in pre LCI, which has been around for a couple of decades, had a narrower illumination field that required the actual light unit output to physically swivel towards a bend. The newer tech doesn’t need this noticeable swivel to illuminate a broader field, although the light units do include low speed cornering lights, which illuminate out to the sides to aid visibility when parking for example.

In the US market some of the BMW adaptive headlights features, such as always on high beam masking, is disabled (decoded - option 5AP) by BMW.
Appreciate 2
      01-30-2023, 09:16 AM   #4
alex2364
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4 ZCP / 2023 X3 M40i

Garage List
2020 BMW M4  [10.00]
2023 BMW X3 M40i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim@codemybimmer View Post
Discussion is found in many threads, such as this one - https://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1889419

BMW had changed the system from an electromechanical system found on the Pre-LCI models (including the Pre-LCI G30 and G20 which used electromechanical), to a Matrix array system on both the Adaptive LED and Laserlights that splits into digital zones. Therefore instead of a mechanical swivel, they’ve made use of the cornering lights to illuminate the sides at tight corners, while shifting the lit zones to better illuminate those areas in addition to the anti-dazzle functionality.

Hope that helps!
Quote:
Originally Posted by avi66 View Post
As mentioned above, the LCI uses a newer tech based on matrix LED.

The old electro mechanical version in pre LCI, which has been around for a couple of decades, had a narrower illumination field that required the actual light unit output to physically swivel towards a bend. The newer tech doesn’t need this noticeable swivel to illuminate a broader field, although the light units do include low speed cornering lights, which illuminate out to the sides to aid visibility when parking for example.

In the US market some of the BMW adaptive headlights features, such as always on high beam masking, is disabled (decoded - option 5AP) by BMW.
Thanks, this explains everything!
Appreciate 0