BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

08-10-2018, 09:10 AM   #331
pcmike
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X3 M40i

AS OF THIS MORNING... it's released to the carrier and on its way!!

Fully Loaded
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2018, 10:41 AM   #332
MrPorter
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i, 2020 X7 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobsM3Coupe View Post
I know Jeep lets you track a vehicle from the very start of sheet metal stamping and at every railstop along the way until the owner takes delivery.
They even send a couple of photos of the vehicle on the assembly line and put the owners name on the window sticker. The last part is a nice touch.
Sounds like a great experience. Until you take actual delivery...

I've had a Jeep. My mom's old Grand Cherokee. Loved it.

And then I went with my buddy to pick up his new Grand Cherokee a few years ago. He bought one they had on the lot and negotiated that they would reupholster from cloth to leather. No idea how that's the right way to do it for either party but that's neither here nor there.

When we went to get it, we had to go in through the service entrance, actually find somebody, they told us to go to the cashier, cashier told us to wait, and then we just waited around for 15-20 minutes with nobody speaking to us until some guy rolls up, gets out, and was like "uh is this yours?"

That's it. Handed my buddy the keys and that was it. I don't even think they washed the car.

Obviously that's more of an indictment of the dealer itself but I was blown away...it was a stark contrast to when I bought a Lexus and they had your car on the showroom floor with your name, etc.
Appreciate 2
      08-10-2018, 12:03 PM   #333
tonymac1
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 40i, 2011 E90 M3

Mine has been in 150 status for 4 days... week 33 production, anyone has the same issue?
      08-10-2018, 02:01 PM   #334
Yobyot
Major
Rep
Drives: MY19 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonymac1 View Post
Mine has been in 150 status for 4 days... week 33 production, anyone has the same issue?
And when I queried bmwgenius@bmwusa.com, about the fact that my car shows "production started" on the website (150) but is supposed to be completed next week, I got the answer below. Interesting that BMW can't seem to get their website to accurately reflect their production system status.

Quote:
Hi ...,

The tracking system is currently not displaying each step as an update. Our apologies for any disappointment this has caused. Once production is completed, the other fields, such as "Paint Shop" will be shown. The estimated completion date is still 08/13. Please note that production status updates are estimates and may be subject to change throughout the process.

Nick...
BMW Genius
Representative
Produced: 2018-08-15; Delivered 2018-08-22
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2018, 04:41 PM   #335
skier219
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i, M2C, Ferrari 328

What it did for me was sit in 150 for about 10 days, then go into "entering assembly" and "assembly in process". I think most folks so far have spent 6-10 days at 150 before going to the next steps (which then move fast, within 24-36 hours).
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2018, 05:15 PM   #336
kcleuk
Private
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X3

F it! I'm done waiting. Anyone wants to take it off my hand? 10% off MSRP. [IMG][/IMG]
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-10-2018, 05:38 PM   #337
Yobyot
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by skier219 View Post
What it did for me was sit in 150 for about 10 days, then go into "entering assembly" and "assembly in process". I think most folks so far have spent 6-10 days at 150 before going to the next steps (which then move fast, within 24-36 hours).
Quote:
Thanks! If that is what's happening then it's still possible I could get my car in early September (thanks to a short truck ride from Spartanburg and a sales dude who wants to book the sale in August).

Apparent lack of progress plus BMW saying it's scheduled to be done on 8/13 had me worried something had happened. If the progress happens all at once, they can still make it.
Appreciate 1
      08-10-2018, 05:38 PM   #338
skier219
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcleuk View Post
F it! I'm done waiting. Anyone wants to take it off my hand? 10% off MSRP. [IMG][/IMG]
Thought you were week 34? You got another week or so before any action.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2018, 05:46 PM   #339
skier219
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yobyot View Post
Thanks! If that is what's happening then it's still possible I could get my car in early September (thanks to a short truck ride from Spartanburg and a sales dude who wants to book the sale in August).

Apparent lack of progress plus BMW saying it's scheduled to be done on 8/13 had me worried something had happened. If the progress happens all at once, they can still make it.
Part of the problem is that they are not giving status updates for body and paint, which is happening in the 7-10 days between 150 and 153. I have no idea how much of that time is actually sheet metal getting stamped, welded, primed, and painted, and how much is just a VIN in a queue. But it's a long period of no updates.

Once I got into "assembly in progress" the website stalled and hasn't updated since. The 1-800 number updated and let me know it's been transported to the port. That hasn't updated since then though.

Overall, given the sophistication of IT and web technology in 2018, I am very disappointed in BMW's order tracking system. What could be something to brag about and attract customers just seems to add confusion/frustration and probably increases the call-load on the BMW geniuses.

Last edited by skier219; 08-10-2018 at 05:53 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2018, 05:55 PM   #340
pcmike
Captain
United_States
Rep

The system was broken yesterday and BMW actually took it offline. They've been in the process of redoing their web properties that revolve around BMWFS and customer specific sites. They'll get there... someday.

Fully Loaded
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2018, 05:57 PM   #341
Yobyot
Major
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Part of the problem is that they are not giving status updates for body and paint, which is happening in the 7-10 days between 150 and 153. I have no idea how much of that time is actually sheet metal getting stamped, welded, primed, and painted, and how much is just a VIN in a queue. But it's a long period of no updates.

Once I got into "assembly in progress" the website stalled and hasn't updated since. The 1-800 number updated and let me know it's been transported to the port. That hasn't updated since then though.

Overall, given the sophistication of IT technology in 2018, I am very disappointed in BMW's order tracking system. What could be something to brag about and attract customers just seems to add confusion/frustration and probably increases the call-load on the BMW geniuses.
Quote:
Quote:

Overall, given the sophistication of IT technology in 2018, I am very disappointed in BMW's order tracking system. What could be something to brag about and attract customers just seems to add confusion/frustration and probably increases the call-load on the BMW geniuses.
True that.

But compared to other OEMs, my take is that BMW does two things others stink at.

First, they welcome orders. Ever try buying a custom Toyota? The dealer who sold me the RAV4 the M40i is replacing hadn't had a custom order in years. On a BMW plant tour (I've been twice) I distinctly remember being told that more than 60% of cars are "customer sold". That means we not only have nice cars, we also probably have unique ones. My build is unlikely to be exactly like every other M40i I see on the road. That's not the case with less-custom-friendly OEMs.

Second, as annoying as the progress website is, at least BMW "geniuses" will respond and they do have salespeople, a VR system and the website to offer at least some info. You can check your build and at least get some idea if it's arriving soon or has hit a bump in production. Again, this is different in my experience from other OEMs.

This'll be my fourth BMW; two were European deliveries. Waiting for re-delivery from Europe after actually driving the car is really hard. Much worse than waiting for a car built in 5UX.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2018, 06:05 PM   #342
BobsM3Coupe
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5MC

I called BMW Genius about an update since my order has been in Quality Check since Monday morning. They reason it's been held so long is that there must be some major issue that needs to be addressed. Said it looks like it's going to affect many early built 2019 X3 X drive(AWD) models, just that they really noticed it on my car along with some others. Said they have no idea how long this hold will be.
I'm ready to jump ship since I don't want a vehicle that's probably being torn apart to find a cure for the problem.
At this point, I might wait for the new X5, but that will also have it's early teething problems. Also discounts will be hard to come by for the first couple months.
Not very happy. But hopefully something will change my mind.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2018, 06:08 PM   #343
BobsM3Coupe
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPorter View Post
Sounds like a great experience. Until you take actual delivery...

I've had a Jeep. My mom's old Grand Cherokee. Loved it.

And then I went with my buddy to pick up his new Grand Cherokee a few years ago. He bought one they had on the lot and negotiated that they would reupholster from cloth to leather. No idea how that's the right way to do it for either party but that's neither here nor there.

When we went to get it, we had to go in through the service entrance, actually find somebody, they told us to go to the cashier, cashier told us to wait, and then we just waited around for 15-20 minutes with nobody speaking to us until some guy rolls up, gets out, and was like "uh is this yours?"

That's it. Handed my buddy the keys and that was it. I don't even think they washed the car.

Obviously that's more of an indictment of the dealer itself but I was blown away...it was a stark contrast to when I bought a Lexus and they had your car on the showroom floor with your name, etc.
Like you said, that is a dealer issue. I had no such problems on delivery from the same dealer on a 2012, then 2014 Grand Cherokees. I would have ordered a 2019 Grand Cherokee, but a total redesign is due for 2020.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2018, 06:09 PM   #344
Yobyot
Major
Rep

Quote:
I called BMW Genius about an update since my order has been in Quality Check since Monday morning. They reason it's been held so long is that there must be some major issue that needs to be addressed. Said it looks like it's going to affect many early built 2019 X3 X drive(AWD) models, just that they really noticed it on my car along with some others. Said they have no idea how long this hold will be.
I'm ready to jump ship since I don't want a vehicle that's probably being torn apart to find a cure for the problem.
At this point, I might wait for the new X5, but that will also have it's early teething problems. Also discounts will be hard to come by for the first couple months.
Quote:
If I wasn't so impatient to get my car, I'd volunteer to have the quality guys go over my car with a magnifying glass.

That's one unit you could be certain was assembled to spec.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2018, 06:35 PM   #345
BobsM3Coupe
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
If I wasn't so impatient to get my car, I'd volunteer to have the quality guys go over my car with a magnifying glass.

That's one unit you could be certain was assembled to spec.
Thanks. You may be right.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2018, 06:44 PM   #346
skier219
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I would not worry too much. I do not trust the website status updates at this point, and I don't think BMW Genius has any better information than us. The one time I talked with a Genius it was obvious the guy was just a call-center flunkey. They are not engineers or mechanics and they are not auto-enthusiasts.

Did you try calling the old-fashioned automated system at (800) 831-1117‬ ? That has given me updates when the website (and Genius) were stalled. The website still shows "assembly in progress" for me but the 1-800 number tracking says my X3 has been sent to the port.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2018, 06:52 PM   #347
skier219
Captain
United_States
Rep

BTW, you may also want to ask the BMW Genius at your dealership -- they can probably give you specific details of the situation (if there is one) and would be more willing to share than the guy in the call center.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2018, 07:12 PM   #348
BobsM3Coupe
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I would not worry too much. I do not trust the website status updates at this point, and I don't think BMW Genius has any better information than us. The one time I talked with a Genius it was obvious the guy was just a call-center flunkey. They are not engineers or mechanics and they are not auto-enthusiasts.

Did you try calling the old-fashioned automated system at (800) 831-1117‬ ? That has given me updates when the website (and Genius) were stalled. The website still shows "assembly in progress" for me but the 1-800 number tracking says my X3 has been sent to the port.
Guess when I called Genius earlier, after I hung up, someone looked into my cars status a bit more and a little while ago, I received a call from BMW Genius saying my car is now "Awaiting Carrier Assignment". Kind of surprised me that they actually called. I checked online, and he's correct.
Have to see what happens next.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2018, 07:17 PM   #349
skier219
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Guess when I called Genius earlier, after I hung up, someone looked into my cars status a bit more and a little while ago, I received a call from BMW Genius saying my car is now "Awaiting Carrier Assignment". Kind of surprised me that they actually called. I checked online, and he's correct.
Have to see what happens next.
That sounds promising to me, especially if they felt the urge to call you back to correct the information. I bet it had just been stale data in the system before.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2018, 10:28 PM   #350
pcmike
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Not to throw shade in the direction of the "geniuses," but they're not very well informed at all. This past week I've heard so many different stories from each person that picked up the phone... and I called at least 4 times a day, considering my car has been at "awaiting carrier assignment" (via the website) since 8/4. The only story that has held water has been the very first guy's back on the 4th where he said there were in fact two holds on the car... an engineering data hold (where BMW was supposedly waiting for government testing to be complete) and a market release hold (meaning absolutely no M40is were to leave the VPC until this hold was lifted). I'm guessing the second hold was contingent on the engineering hold as both of them literally fell off the car yesterday and as of this morning my car is slated to arrive at the dealer Monday or Tuesday (got that word from the dealer today... up until yesterday the dealer just told me they had no idea either due to the holds).

Stay the course! Ignore the "geniuses!"

Fully Loaded
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2018, 10:46 PM   #351
BobsM3Coupe
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcmike View Post
Quote:
Not to throw shade in the direction of the "geniuses," but they're not very well informed at all. This past week I've heard so many different stories from each person that picked up the phone... and I called at least 4 times a day, considering my car has been at "awaiting carrier assignment" (via the website) since 8/4. The only story that has held water has been the very first guy's back on the 4th where he said there were in fact two holds on the car... an engineering data hold (where BMW was supposedly waiting for government testing to be complete) and a market release hold (meaning absolutely no M40is were to leave the VPC until this hold was lifted). I'm guessing the second hold was contingent on the engineering hold as both of them literally fell off the car yesterday and as of this morning my car is slated to arrive at the dealer Monday or Tuesday (got that word from the dealer today... up until yesterday the dealer just told me they had no idea either due to the holds).

Stay the course! Ignore the "geniuses!"
Sometimes I wish it was like back in the old days when you didn't know any status of an ordered car except when the sales guy called to say it arrived.
Of course, no one is forcing me to check online or with the so called genius line for a status report. But with those options available, who can resist?
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2018, 10:59 PM   #352
pcmike
Captain
United_States
Rep

Agreed. We're spoiled now in days. I asked the dealer if he had access to a cargo plane, following it up with... I'll pay. Forget the discount I negotiated, just get the car here tomorrow at any cost!

Fully Loaded
Appreciate 0