BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

08-11-2020, 02:20 PM   #23
AlexFL
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckrieg View Post
Do you have MY21? I thought that was an iDrive 7 thing...
No, iD6 has it too.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2020, 11:25 AM   #24
Macanakey
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X3MC, X5M, 911Turbo & GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexFL View Post
The gesture thing for volume control works quite well
It works, but it goes from too soft to too loud too quickly! I tend to keep my music at low levels, so I can hear what's going on around me. I find that the gesture control doesn't let me adjust the volume in small increments.
1997 911 Targa, Zenith Blue
2017 GT3-RS Lava Orange (LEGO)
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2020, 10:43 PM   #25
floating.spirit
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3M Competition

Garage List
2020 X3MC  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexFL View Post
I'll probably install an LED next to the light sensor lol
LOL. For the mod master who has everything! Kind of an ultimate mini-mod.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2021, 07:08 PM   #26
Relayze
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

I tinted my front windows a couple of days ago. 30% and got the light dimming issue.
Since there is no help from BMW and no coding available, I bought a tiny led light and it fixed the problem.

https://pasteboard.co/JKKaB9T.jpg
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2021, 07:41 PM   #27
allinon72
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 20' M2C, 23' X1

I appreciate the ingenuity but I'll deal with the dimming before I stick something that visible on my dashboard.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2021, 07:20 AM   #28
spta97
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW 2020 X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Relayze View Post
I tinted my front windows a couple of days ago. 30% and got the light dimming issue.
Since there is no help from BMW and no coding available, I bought a tiny led light and it fixed the problem.

https://pasteboard.co/JKKaB9T.jpg
I wonder if this can be done more stealth with a hard wired LED?

The dimming annoys me as well.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2021, 01:34 PM   #29
Relayze
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by spta97 View Post
I wonder if this can be done more stealth with a hard wired LED?

The dimming annoys me as well.
Took me a while to find a led light that not only is small but not too bright.
With the velcro instead of a clip is easy on, easy off.
Maybe a copper wired led, like those fairy string lights. Just leave one and cut the rest. The sensor doesn't need that much light pointed at it. I have tried bouncing overcast sunlight with a piece of white paper and it was enough to brighten the dash lights.

Last edited by Relayze; 01-22-2021 at 01:41 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2021, 09:53 AM   #30
spta97
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Relayze View Post
Took me a while to find a led light that not only is small but not too bright.
With the velcro instead of a clip is easy on, easy off.
Maybe a copper wired led, like those fairy string lights. Just leave one and cut the rest. The sensor doesn't need that much light pointed at it. I have tried bouncing overcast sunlight with a piece of white paper and it was enough to brighten the dash lights.
Do you have a link to that light?
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2021, 04:29 PM   #31
spta97
Colonel
Rep

Works!

I did the coding in BimmerCode Expert Mode today and it worked (2020 X3MC iD6)!

Granted, it only solves the Control/iDrive Screen but it is so much better now! I think I am going to file a complaint with the NHTSA about this as it is a safety issue.

It took me a while to figure out that there was an issue (I thought it was in my head) but lowering my tinted windows makes the screen brighter so found out that many are having a similar issue.

After I coded it changed "Brightness at Night" to "Brightness" but defaulted to the mid point.

The funny thing was I was in direct sun and could barely see the screen to change the value to full lol .

Now that I have, I can actually see my backup camera!
Appreciate 1
      05-01-2021, 04:35 PM   #32
spta97
Colonel
Rep

Bimmercode Instructions

These were the instructions I used (modified) which I believe Kevin on the Supra MKV forum posted so credit to him:

1- start bimmercode app and connect and select BMW for car
2- select BMW X3/X3M (or X4/X4M)
3- select Headunit
4- select Expert Mode at top
5- select 3005 DISPLAY_PIP_CONFIG
6- scroll WAY down and select DIM_VARIANT (or search)
7- change setting from NEW to OLD
8- click OK.
9- Then backup on screens to the HEADUnit ECU screen.
10- select CODE at top right. Accept risk and let it do its thing.

It will wipe out the 8 hot keys so you will need to remember what you set them to. This will enable the Brightness control to be used during Daytime. It will now say Brightness versus Brightness during Nighttime. If the dealer ever does a ECU flash you will have to redo this,
Appreciate 2
Dim108.50
Ftpohyeah285.00
      05-01-2021, 08:13 PM   #33
allinon72
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
These were the instructions I used (modified) which I believe Kevin on the Supra MKV forum posted so credit to him:

1- start bimmercode app and connect and select BMW for car
2- select BMW X3/X3M (or X4/X4M)
3- select Headunit
4- select Expert Mode at top
5- select 3005 DISPLAY_PIP_CONFIG
6- scroll WAY down and select DIM_VARIANT (or search)
7- change setting from NEW to OLD
8- click OK.
9- Then backup on screens to the HEADUnit ECU screen.
10- select CODE at top right. Accept risk and let it do its thing.

It will wipe out the 8 hot keys so you will need to remember what you set them to. This will enable the Brightness control to be used during Daytime. It will now say Brightness versus Brightness during Nighttime. If the dealer ever does a ECU flash you will have to redo this,
That will only do the idrive screen, not the gauge cluster, which honestly helps a lot and makes it far less noticeable. Since changing this I rarely notice since I'm mainly looking at the heads up display anyway. But it's absolutely ridiculous and counterintuitive for BMW to program to dim the gauge cluster in any environment other than night time conditions.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2021, 08:29 AM   #34
spta97
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by allinon72 View Post
That will only do the idrive screen, not the gauge cluster, which honestly helps a lot and makes it far less noticeable. Since changing this I rarely notice since I'm mainly looking at the heads up display anyway. But it's absolutely ridiculous and counterintuitive for BMW to program to dim the gauge cluster in any environment other than night time conditions.
Correct - and did mention that above.

However, it makes a HUGE difference in usability. My biggest concern was the back up feature as I like to ensure I am clear on the camera despite also looking over my shoulder. It is also helpful when navigating into a parking spot. Not being able to see the nav (Apple Maps via CarPlay) was annoying too.

The HUD was one of my primary wants with this car but alas, I rarely use it because I wear polarized sun glasses and can't see it. Also, it does not display CarPlay info so it is pretty useless to me.

At night, of all the things not to dim, I cannot believe BMW doesn't auto dim the HUD or give you a knob to do it. So if you have it readable during a sunny day, it is almost blinding at night.

I'm excited about the iDrive/Control screen though
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2021, 01:33 PM   #35
Zachp13
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X3M

Garage List
21 X3M  [0.00]
Interestingly enough I just had my windshield tinted to 70% and afterwards the HUD was much brighter than before with my polarized sunglasses. Before the tint while wearing glasses it was almost unreadable unless I tipped my head. Now it works the same as without sunglasses. I also tinted the side and back windows to 40% and have no dimming issues.

Last edited by Zachp13; 05-06-2021 at 02:50 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2021, 02:41 PM   #36
spta97
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zachp13 View Post
Interestingly enough I just had my windshield tinted to 70% and afterwards the HUD was much brighter than before with my polarized sunglasses. Before tonite get while wearing glasses is was almost unreadable unless I tipped my head. Now it works the same as without sunglasses. I also tinted the side and back windows to 40% and have no dimming issues.
Interesting. I can see that less light on the windshield would allow the HUD to be brighter.

Interesting you have not had the issue with the control screen dimming after tint.

One down side to this mod, the screen stays at full brightness at night and does not dim in night mode. I'm ok with this as at least I can turn it down.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2021, 05:32 PM   #37
Transfer
Major General
Rep
Drives: Bronco Wildtrak, Tesla MYP

Just to report on my experience, I tinted front windows at 30% and left the rest of the windows OEM. My 2020 dash does remain a little dim in daytime and while I wish it didn't, I don't feel it actually affects anything other than the aesthetics of it. I'm much happier having the tint though and this outweighs the dimming issue by a landslide.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2021, 06:06 PM   #38
spta97
Colonel
Rep

The dash (assuming the cluster) is more of an annoyance. It was the control/iDrive screen that I really didn’t like.

On a bright sunny day I couldn’t see my backup camera.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2021, 06:56 AM   #39
1BlackDropTop
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 Alpine White X3M

Hey everyone... new to the community as I just sold my E90 M3 and just got into an X3M. Been reading up on this issue and it doesn't look like a consensus on who is affected. A few questions for the board...

1) Do we think we can correlate % of tint with getting the issue i.e. 35% and lower you get the issue 100% of the time. Are there those who tint and DO NOT get the dimming problem?

2) Clarification on the areas affected: The dash/instrument cluster AND infotainment (including AC control and preset buttons) get dimmed? I was thinking it was infotainment only. I can live with the AC controls as long as I can code the infotainment back to normal, but the dash dimming I'm not sure I can live with.

appreciate any response!
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2021, 07:05 AM   #40
spta97
Colonel
Rep

This affects all newer BMWs according to my research. It seems it is not so much the %, but the type of tint (ie: ceramic).

One poster did a test and found the wavelength that was being blocked (forgot which).

The dimming affects the gauge cluster, control/iDrive screen, and HVAC controls.

The coding only resolves the control screen. The cluster is dimmed as is the HVAC.

I’ll try to dig up the thread (another forum).

Edit - several people had the issue with no tint to to shady trees of backing into a garage.
Appreciate 1
      05-07-2021, 07:15 AM   #41
allinon72
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1BlackDropTop View Post
Hey everyone... new to the community as I just sold my E90 M3 and just got into an X3M. Been reading up on this issue and it doesn't look like a consensus on who is affected. A few questions for the board...

1) Do we think we can correlate % of tint with getting the issue i.e. 35% and lower you get the issue 100% of the time. Are there those who tint and DO NOT get the dimming problem?

2) Clarification on the areas affected: The dash/instrument cluster AND infotainment (including AC control and preset buttons) get dimmed? I was thinking it was infotainment only. I can live with the AC controls as long as I can code the infotainment back to normal, but the dash dimming I'm not sure I can live with.

appreciate any response!
1. This is annoying even without tint, so I don't think it's worth it to go lighter on tint because it won't solve the issue.

2. The gauge cluster, idrive screen, and HVAC control screen all dim. Coding the DIM_VARIANT disables the dimming on the idrive screen only but does help a lot.

It today's litigious world, it's amazing that BMW would actively dim something as important as a gauge cluster during the day. I'm also surprised government regs allow them to do this at all, except at night. I'm not going to be overly dramatic and say it's a safety issue, but there have been times where it's dimmed enough where you legit cannot read it without effort.

Add to the fact that ALL new models do this, and they haven't addressed it at all. And for no benefit - what's the purpose of dimming screens during the day?
Appreciate 1
      05-07-2021, 07:19 AM   #42
1BlackDropTop
Private
Rep

Quote:
This affects all newer BMWs according to my research. It seems it is not so much the %, but the type of tint (ie: ceramic).

One poster did a test and found the wavelength that was being blocked (forgot which).

The dimming affects the gauge cluster, control/iDrive screen, and HVAC controls.

The coding only resolves the control screen. The cluster is dimmed as is the HVAC.

I’ll try to dig up the thread (another forum).

Edit - several people had the issue with no tint to to shady trees of backing into a garage.

Much appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2021, 07:25 AM   #43
1BlackDropTop
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by allinon72 View Post
1. This is annoying even without tint, so I don't think it's worth it to go lighter on tint because it won't solve the issue.

2. The gauge cluster, idrive screen, and HVAC control screen all dim. Coding the DIM_VARIANT disables the dimming on the idrive screen only but does help a lot.

It today's litigious world, it's amazing that BMW would actively dim something as important as a gauge cluster during the day. I'm also surprised government regs allow them to do this at all, except at night. I'm not going to be overly dramatic and say it's a safety issue, but there have been times where it's dimmed enough where you legit cannot read it without effort.

Add to the fact that ALL new models do this, and they haven't addressed it at all. And for no benefit - what's the purpose of dimming screens during the day?
Thanks for the reply! I agree with you re: going light on tint. I'm just struggling with the annoyance vs. aesthetic appeal of the tint. I think the annoyance would outweigh the appeal, but still debating.

As for the safety issues... I'm sure the dimming isn't supposed to happen during the day but instead an unintended consequence of a sensitive sensor for night dimming. You would think a fix would be in the works, but knowing BMW I wouldn't hold my breath.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2021, 07:29 AM   #44
allinon72
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1BlackDropTop View Post
Thanks for the reply! I agree with you re: going light on tint. I'm just struggling with the annoyance vs. aesthetic appeal of the tint. I think the annoyance would outweigh the appeal, but still debating.

As for the safety issues... I'm sure the dimming isn't supposed to happen during the day but instead an unintended consequence of a sensitive sensor for night dimming. You would think a fix would be in the works, but knowing BMW I wouldn't hold my breath.
They'll issue a fix eventually - especially with nearly every model being affected. In typical BMW fashion, they won't do anything until a big stink is made about it, then add a year after that.
Appreciate 0