BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

01-31-2021, 01:14 PM   #1
quackmeyer
Rep
Drives: 2017 X3 F25 M-Sport

Unhappy Help removing F25 front bumper!!

Seeking all DIYers, I'm in the process of removing my front bumper in order to replace lower and side M-sport grilles.

I have popped off the side "wheel arch covers" and taken out every screw and rivet. The entire front bumper is loose except for the top corners by the headlights (circled in middle image), and I can't figure out how the hell to release them.

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/HL6LPCF" data-context="false" ><a href="//imgur.com/a/HL6LPCF"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

I've been trying to reach up there by pushing back the wheelwell as much as I can, but I can hardly fit my fingers up there, so getting a tool in to unscrew something certainly won't work as it is. I'm working on this slowly, only like an hour a day since I am currently home sick with COVID
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-31-2021, 10:49 PM   #2
one9kilo
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW F25

Did you take the whole wheel well cover off? It's worth the time to do it and is super easy to do. This should give you all the room you need to access the remaining screws.

If they are the plastic retaining clips, try pinching the top end ("screw" end) from the top side if you can reach it and then pry it out from the flat end.

Mine only had two screws on each side, the plastic clips broke off and I didn't really need it to replace them. Front bumper fit fine without them.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2021, 08:48 AM   #3
Opie55
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '15 650i Convertible

You have not removed enough of the bolts/fasteners holding in the plastic wheel well liner. You don't need to fully remove it, but remove everything holding the front half and pull it back. Then you can get a small ratchet on those three bolts holding the bumper. I have not yet pulled the bumper on my X3, but I can pull the bumper on my 6 series in about 15 minutes, and I'm sure the X3 is not more difficult.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2021, 08:54 AM   #4
Opie55
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '15 650i Convertible

And just as a note, the hardest thing in removing bumper is often disconnecting the wiring harness for the parking sensors and fog lights. It's one of those frustrating things where you can't figure out how the connector releases because they are all different.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2021, 09:57 AM   #5
quackmeyer
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opie55 View Post
You have not removed enough of the bolts/fasteners holding in the plastic wheel well liner. You don't need to fully remove it, but remove everything holding the front half and pull it back. Then you can get a small ratchet on those three bolts holding the bumper. I have not yet pulled the bumper on my X3, but I can pull the bumper on my 6 series in about 15 minutes, and I'm sure the X3 is not more difficult.
Sounds good, i'll work on removing the wheel well liner a bit more. I still see that some of these bolts appear to be plastic rivets instead of screws, so maybe i'll just try pinching them off like suggested above.

I already bought the replacement grilles for a grand total of $130, so I'm trying to avoid a body shop trip for $600+
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2021, 09:25 PM   #6
quackmeyer
Rep

Cool

THANK YOU one9kilo and Opie55, taking off more of the wheel well liner screws helped me a bunch!!

I learned that there are three things holding the bumper attached at the sides. Two torx screws, with one flathead plastic rivet in the middle. After I got both screws out, I decided to *gracefully* break off the plastic rivet. I don't plan on replacing it later, just going to stick with the two screws. After I got the sides released, the bumper came right off (after unhooking some cables).

Sidenote: I don't know how the hell people managed to replace the lower M grille without taking the bumper off. Even WITH the bumper off, these plastic clips are obnoxiously stiff and hard to get off without breaking the plastic.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      04-04-2021, 08:29 AM   #7
moonluv810
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW X3, 2018 BMW M3, 2022

Hello,

I will need to tackle this work myself next weekend. Do you happen to have step by step DIY and photos of all the rivers and screws that need to be removed?

Thank you in advance!
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2022, 03:37 PM   #8
rcsummers
OG e46
Rep
Drives: ‘19 X3 | ‘16 Golf R | ‘04 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonluv810 View Post
Hello,

I will need to tackle this work myself next weekend. Do you happen to have step by step DIY and photos of all the rivers and screws that need to be removed?

Thank you in advance!
Does anyone have something like this? Been searching, but no luck.

@summers_7R_M3
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2022, 08:59 PM   #9
Greenman7612
Rep
Drives: 2000 BMW 740iL

Garage List
2017 BMW X3 si  [0.00]
2013 BMW 528ix  [0.00]
2011 BMW X3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsummers View Post
Does anyone have something like this? Been searching, but no luck.
I did the job with my son because Pennsylvania required him to change the headlight for inspection. I recall we just used realoem drawings to figure out what to do. It also helped to have two people when getting up under the wheel well cover.

We bought clips in advance.
Appreciate 0