BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

05-28-2022, 01:36 PM   #1
impudence
Rep
Drives: x3

Water in battery compartment

My hatch suddenly stopped working. I went to look at the tailgate module and found a crazy amount of water in the battery compartment. The battery was nearly underwater!! All the electronics were underwater. I siphoned out all the water. I've bought a new tailgate module but don't want to install it until I figure out where the water is coming from. Since siphoning the water has come back. I have no clue what the source of the water is. Nothing else in the hatch area is getting wet. Any ideas where it could be coming from? Also are there supposed to be any drain holes in that area?
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2022, 12:26 PM   #2
dtox9
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F25-X

run some water out of a hose onto the top of your hatch / where the 3rd brake light is... and test if you're getting water inside anywhere along the back opening.

There may possibly be some leakage originating from that location around the lens...
Some neatly applied silicone around the perimeter of the lens should resolve it - if that is the culprit.
Appreciate 0